socci

Cameron, MO

#440393 Jan 29, 2013

----------

GENESIS: oldest text on the planet

In recent years a much better insight into the origin of Genesis has emerged. As ancient Near Eastern libraries have been unearthed and their contents deciphered, many insights into biblical times have been gained. In particular, tablets from before the time of Moses in the area of Mesopotamia (where Abraham hailed from) were noted to frequently contain a colophon Ė a formula of sorts, at the close of the tablet. This is similar to modern customs of ending a letter with a formula like "Sincerely yours,(Name)".

Often these tablets were family records or king-lists giving the ancestry of a person. The Hebrew term for generations is toledoth. These tablets would contain a colophon describing who had written the tablet or whose history it recorded. Scholars recognized that these colophons were similar in structure to toledoth phrases in Genesis:

1) "These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created." (Genesis 2:4)

2) "This is the book of the generations of Adam." (Genesis 5:1)

3) "These are the generations of Noah." (Genesis 6:9)

4) "Now these are the generations of the sons of Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth." (Genesis 10:1)

5) "These are the generations of Shem." (Genesis 11:10)

6) "Now these are the generations of Terah." (Genesis 11:27)

7) "And these are the generations of Isaac, Abraham's son." (Genesis 25:19)

8) "This is the account of Abraham's son Ishmael." (Genesis 25:12)

9) "This is the account of Esau (that is, Edom)." (Genesis 36:1)

10) "These are the generations of Jacob." (Genesis 37:2)

The implication of these colophons in Genesis is that they separate Genesis into distinct source documents each dating from the period of the person named in them. These source documents were handed down from father to son until the time of Moses, when they were edited together to form the book of Genesis under divine inspiration. In almost every case the logical author for each document would be the person named in the colophon itself. The statements immediately following each colophon would be the beginning of the next tablet; for example, Genesis 2:4 reads "When the LORD God made the earth and the heavensÖ" beginning Adamís story.
http://www.rae.org/FAQ09.htm
http://www.trueorigin.org/tablet.asp
http://www.dtl.org/bible/ng-post/gilgamesh.ht...
http://www.specialtyinterests.net/Toledoth.ht...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiseman_hypothes...
(video)
http://archive.org/details/WhoWroteTheBookOfG...
socci

Cameron, MO

#440394 Jan 29, 2013

Babylon and the Bible
by Professor Walter J. Veith, PhD

Two hundred years ago, scholars doubted whether Babylon ever existed. The only record could be found in the Bible. Critics used the story of Babylon, and what they called its "non-historic kings," to discount Scripture. However, Babylon was discovered and excavated in 1898.

We know today that Babylon was one of the first cities in the world, and founded by Nimrod, great-grandson of Noah (Genesis 10:9-10). Archaeologists have found his name on many inscriptions and tablets, while a massive head of Nimrod has been excavated near Calah on the Tigris River.
http://amazingdiscoveries.org/S-deception_arc...

Sumeria is located in the Land of Kish (Kush or Cush) founded by son of Noah's son Ham.

"Kish was occupied beginning in the Jemdet Nasr period (3100 BC), gaining prominence as one of the pre-eminent powers in the region during the early dynastic period.

The Sumerian king list states that it was the first city to have kings following the deluge, beginning with Jushur."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kish_%28Sumer%29

"Cush, son of Ham. The Empire of Kush to the south of Egypt is known from at least 1970 BC, but this name has also been associated by some with the Kassites who inhabited the Zagros area of Mesopotamia, the Sumerian city of Kish in the Land of Kish."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sons_of_Noah#Ham...

"The Sumerian Kish, the first city established in Mesopotamia after the Flood, took its name from the man known in the Bible as Cush. The first kingdom established after the Flood was Kish, and the name "Kish" appears often on clay tablets. The early post-Flood Sumerian king lists say that "kingship descended from heaven to Kish" after the Flood."

continues:

http://davelivingston.com/nimrod.htm

http://www.noahs-ark.tv/noahs-ark-flood-creat...

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#440395 Jan 29, 2013
Owning Glyndwyr wrote:
<quoted text>See, but the point is that it was, historically, not a small minority of Christians. The religion was promoted at sword and later gunpoint. Its current popularity is based on that very violent history. I have already conceded that the Hindus are making up for lost time and that Christians have, as an aggregate, grown less violent over time as they live in more modern environments, influenced by secular laws, and no longer under divine command theory.
The history of Christianity is well documented. It begins with the kidnapping, torture, and murder of a peaceful innocent. It spreads rapidly on the jagged edge of the "believe or die" process. Please do not succumb to presentism. We all have a tendency to view events through our own chronological microscope. Christianity has grown increasingly less violent, although there is a minority in America that finds that intolerable. We have modernized. The Hindus and the Muslims are still suffering under the same tyranny that besieged Christianity throughout its history. This tyranny begets violence. As the poster Drifter used to exclaim, "It is hard to brush the dust from hsitory". And besides, when dealing with a timespan as vast as the last two millennia, generalization is the only methodology available.
I was curious to see how you would respond to my post. I felt the things I asked you to consider were reasonable within the context but admittedly they were some loaded questions and a lot of people wouldn't see past it as a challenge to their ego. I think it speaks well to your character that you handled it as you did. Not that you need my approval but I like to acknowledge when someone does something i respect

I agree that we view things thru our own chronological microscope. And I agree that if judged solely on present time the gap between those who practice it peacefully and those that do not has widened significantly. I do understand the importance of learning historical lessons and acknowledging past wrongs. I am sure everyone knows the famous Edmund Burke quote ""Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it"

Although what is a fair amount of time for people to shed the culpability of those that came before them? I am actually asking as I am sure it is subjective. But consider America for instance. We slaughtered the Indians, infected women and children with small pox, put innocent Japanese in Internment camps, had slaves, and women couldn't vote. Much of that was indicative of the culture and not simply our government acting unilaterally. I bring up the government because imo still today we engage in some pretty heinous things. But culturally as a people we have come a long way. Should today's American still wear the label of slave-master?

I can concede the point that even if not all Christians engaged in some of the atrocities of the past that the culture of Christianity itself was more violent. And since you agree in modern times the culture is much less violent and the same generalizations wouldn't be as applicable today then there is really no dispute. But I would be curious as to what you feel about how much time is reasonable for a group to be able to start its own legacy. Or do you think no amount of time allows for that? For me personally I feel no responsibility for say something like slavery. I wasn't even born when it happened and never would have been ok with it so I feel like that has nothing to do with me. While it will always be part of our history, should the modern-day American still own part of the blame in your opinion?

(T) Peace

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#440396 Jan 29, 2013
socci wrote:
GENESIS: oldest text on the planet.
The Sumerian tablets which have the original stories the Hebrews modified are 4000 years older and we have the clay tablets they were written on to prove it.

Please get an education. At least google "The Epic of Gilgamesh".

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#440397 Jan 29, 2013
socci wrote:
Babylon and the Bible
by Professor Walter J. Veith, PhD
Two hundred years ago, scholars doubted whether Babylon ever existed. The only record could be found in the Bible. Critics used the story of Babylon, and what they called its "non-historic kings," to discount Scripture. However, Babylon was discovered and excavated in 1898.
We know today that Babylon was one of the first cities in the world, and founded by Nimrod, great-grandson of Noah (Genesis 10:9-10). Archaeologists have found his name on many inscriptions and tablets, while a massive head of Nimrod has been excavated near Calah on the Tigris River.
http://amazingdiscoveries.org/S-deception_arc...
Sumeria is located in the Land of Kish (Kush or Cush) founded by son of Noah's son Ham.
"Kish was occupied beginning in the Jemdet Nasr period (3100 BC), gaining prominence as one of the pre-eminent powers in the region during the early dynastic period.
The Sumerian king list states that it was the first city to have kings following the deluge, beginning with Jushur."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kish_%28Sumer%29
"Cush, son of Ham. The Empire of Kush to the south of Egypt is known from at least 1970 BC, but this name has also been associated by some with the Kassites who inhabited the Zagros area of Mesopotamia, the Sumerian city of Kish in the Land of Kish."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sons_of_Noah#Ham...
"The Sumerian Kish, the first city established in Mesopotamia after the Flood, took its name from the man known in the Bible as Cush. The first kingdom established after the Flood was Kish, and the name "Kish" appears often on clay tablets. The early post-Flood Sumerian king lists say that "kingship descended from heaven to Kish" after the Flood."
continues:
http://davelivingston.com/nimrod.htm
http://www.noahs-ark.tv/noahs-ark-flood-creat...
So Orange Crush is the blood of Jesus ?
Or are you saying you have a crush on an Egyptian ?

Location hidden

#440398 Jan 29, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL I think Dusty is the one and only Dusty.
This might sound a little crazy but it might also hold some truth.
I think when Dusty came to Topix she envisioned saving souls. When that didn't happen she got angry and just decided to condemn us all to hell...the worse she could make it sound...the more revenge that she can get.
Who knows...maybe she has a quota that she needs to reach and we just aren't cooperating with her.
Plus...she gets attention this way and who knows...maybe that is what she is truly looking for.
As irritating as it might be...it is also sad.
ll say that up until a few days ago it never crossed my mind that Dusty may be a sock. Not only she didn't follow any of the normal patterns seen from socks but IMO it would be almost impossible for someone to create that persona and remain as consistent as she has over the years. She is someone who in my opinion has always been guarded emotionally and somewhat detached and absolutely came across as someone who was influenced at a very early age about hell. I also have always seen her as intelligent albeit a little crazy and have seem occasions over the years where she let herself be human and would show some emotion and even affection. And even the things I found offensive like children are deserving of hell or things like that stemmed from her beliefs. I never saw her as someone who was trying to be immoral.

If this is indeed the same poster and is legit then I gotta admit I am very surprised. The last few days were nothing more than a conscious effort to be as heartless as possible and to even seem to be deriving pleasure out of it. This was not someone rationalizing to themselves that they are telling people the truth no matter how harsh it may be. This was someone practically gloating in a "I told you so" way trying to inflict as much emotional harm on people in the process of mourning. If this is the same poster than that is just real unfortunate. I don't want to go as far as saying I wish any harm to her but I can say any sympathy I ever had for her, any respect I ever had for her, and perception I had of her that she was motivated by her beliefs has evaporated.

She is basically a sadist as I never seen anything like this in my life. I read about something worse in real life where people protested the military funerals of people that were gay shouting all sorts of hate speech. There are some moral lines there are no coming come back once someone crosses. It takes a certain type of evil to do certain things. Some of what I read in the last few days qualifies

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#440399 Jan 29, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Was that late December back in 63???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =nDxhugRKZ8gXX
How could you possibly know?

Oh MY!

Location hidden

#440400 Jan 29, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure about that. I am pretty confident I will die alone, few will attend my funeral, if there even is one, and few tears will be shed.
I won't mind, I'll be dead. It is living until then that is the tough part full of tears of joy as well as sorrow.
Well some people are ok in their own skin and don't begrudge others finding happiness or love. You are one of those people. And let's face it, the person you are today is not the person you were for a long time. The person I am today is not the person I was for a long time. Had I not had such a long history with the friends in my life before I became an addict I doubt I would have many people in my life either. By the time we learned how to live sober we were pretty much past the time when people make a lot of friends. When you are in your 40's or 40's or 50's when you get clean you may socialize once in a while with people from work or hang with some people at NA/AA meetings but people are married, have kids, are working, etc And I don't know about you but it took me years just to learn how to live life again and I wanted to be by myself during that process.

Anyway my point is the person you are today is someone I would be proud to call a friend. And I have seen many who feel the same and quality people like Senacus just to name another. We simply just wasted a lot of years and burned a lot of bridges when we were not in our right minds. But I can look in the mirror today and like what I see so when my time comes I will have no regrets and will go peacefully to my maker. I would take that any day over a packed church of mourners yet still being someone I am not glad to be

(T) Peace

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#440401 Jan 29, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Then some worship this god.
Deuteronomy 32:39-42
ďDo you see it now? Do you see that Iím the one?
Do you see that thereís no other god beside me?
I bring death and I give life, I wound and I healó
there is no getting away from or around me!
I raise my hand in solemn oath;
I say,ĎIím always around. By that very life I promise:
When I sharpen my lightning sword
and execute judgment,
I take vengeance on my enemies
and pay back those who hate me.
Iíll make my arrows drunk with blood,
my sword will gorge itself on flesh,
Feasting on slain and captive alike,
the proud and vain enemy corpses.íĒ
Along with this god.
http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com/2010/...
Deuteronomistic theology.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#440402 Jan 29, 2013
socci wrote:
----------
In recent years a much better insight into the origin of Genesis has emerged...
LOL *snort*

The majority opinion dates it to the first millennium BCE.

Oops

“Hello Darlings!”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#440403 Jan 29, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point awesome Pirate. Beedy can't read too good, he's copy pasting words from other posters.
Blessings and love to all <3
(Beedy....SWAT!)
From your avatar.... Your god is greater?

My goddess gave birth to your god. Nyah, nyah.

j/k ;)

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#440404 Jan 29, 2013
socci wrote:
----------
Start with a complete fabrication and your entire post collapses under the weight of this one stupid failure. Ancient Egypt has older texts, moron.

“Hello Darlings!”

Location hidden

#440405 Jan 29, 2013
Jorge W Arbusto wrote:
<quoted text>Mercury, lead, and toluene.
Attorneys at Law?

Location hidden

#440406 Jan 29, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
You are one of the few who understand that.
That is why people here proclaiming to be Christians are held up to the Christian Bible, Jews are held up to the TaNaKh ad Muslims held up to the Qu'ran.
If one claims to believe a document is the foundation of their lives then it is fair to assess them according to that document.
Sadly, many Christians and Muslims use those documents to measure others instead of themselves. THAT is what makes them "lost" in my opinion.
I find it ironic that the accessibility of the Bible seems to have diminished the interest. Can you imagine if there was only one Bible and people truly believed it is the word of God the lengths they would go to in order to read it? Or if it was hidden to find it? Of if one country or group had it and wouldn't share it there would probably be a war. I mean for a human to have access to the only written word of God would be quite something. Yet we can pull it up on our phone and most still don't read it.

Now if someone is following the two greatest commandments and feels that is enough than more power to them. But inevitably is the ones not doing that won't take the time to learn it for them but will know verses like 'man shall not lay down with man' or learn just a little bit so they condemn the beliefs of others or do Google searches to take verses out of context to be able to hide behind them to insult people. Either read it for the right reasons or don't even bother is how I feel about it and if someone has a belief based on it they should confirm it imo

(T) Peace.

(T) Peace

“Hello Darlings!”

Location hidden

#440407 Jan 29, 2013
duststorm wrote:
Read the man's own words:
"And my atheism is based, more than any other single thing, upon my internal reflections of what seems likely to me. That's why I don't claim it as universally significant or anything of the sort."
by Dearth of Couth April 2011
If he never changed his mind, and WaterNymph states emphatically that she knows for a fact that he never changed his mind, then he has died and is not with Jesus. Thus it follows that he is in hell as we speak.
There is no jesus to be with; and hell, like satan, exists only in the hateful imaginations of those who believe in it.

You are one sick bitch.

“Hello Darlings!”

Location hidden

#440408 Jan 29, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>I wish to call the teleflorist. Now cough up that funeral home, WN.
You would be better off contacting W_N's secretary, Helen Waite, for that kind of information. So please to go Helen Waite.
endtime

AOL

#440409 Jan 29, 2013

PROOF Obama's ReElection = ANTICHRIST_______

“Hello Darlings!”

Location hidden

#440410 Jan 29, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>Proof. I want to know if Dearth is really still alive.
What do you care?

“Hello Darlings!”

Location hidden

#440411 Jan 29, 2013
Haven't seen ol' waaasssuuup for a couple of days; did his boss finally catch him?

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#440412 Jan 29, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text> The underly'n thread ta all this is that the Hindu's are perpetrating genocide on the Moslem population (as undesirables). This is really nothing new. It just changes characters, It has gone on for thousands of years...in fact it was the reason that Abrum, Sarai and Terah relocated to Ur of the trade road, Nahor, and then to the Middle east...denounced their(Abrum/Sarai) Brahman beliefs, changed their namesto Abraham and Sarah, and founded an entirely new relgion.
Brilliant

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 min mike 603,503
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 min truth 554,487
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 24 min Yumpin Yimminy 119,173
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 24 min AHSBO 763,214
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 30 min Lyndi 174,976
how long after taking the Vivitrol shot can i f... (Nov '12) 31 min Weenpunk 62
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 34 min scirocco 37,609
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr onemale 263,332
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 11 hr NATHAN 176

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE