“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#440373 Jan 29, 2013
Janitor Of The LORD wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it any of your backbiting business? Who cares what you want? You best worry about your own soul, because what I've seen you represent is quite evil. You truly are mentally deranged, aren't you? Nobody owes you any proof of anything. This is no court of law and you're far from the Judge. I'd like to see proof that you're a human being.
Y'ever have a drunk uncle or aunt who always has to make a scene at family gatherings?

That's our dusty.

Now my opinion, which is without value, is that for some Christians their belief system is based entirely on fear, it was a primary part of their indoctrination. They worry about their own salvation and the passing of someone close forces them to look at their own mortality. In doing so, they see their possible future, painted by fire-and-brimstone preachers, and this fear is expressed as we have seen here over the past few days.

They worship a god of judgment, not a god of mercy.

Both can be found in the Christian Bible.

I heard or read a wise person say it like this: Some worship the god of the Gospel of Mark, some the god of Revelation. One can pick either one, but not both. Don't remember who said it.

Kudos for trying.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#440374 Jan 29, 2013
<quoted text>
Does that mean you're batty as a hatter? Just jokering.
I've been called worse.

;)

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#440375 Jan 29, 2013
The Bible is a 12,000+ word Rorschach test.

“Cleaning Up Christianity ”

Since: Jan 13

Topix Badlands

#440376 Jan 29, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Y'ever have a drunk uncle or aunt who always has to make a scene at family gatherings?
That's our dusty.
Now my opinion, which is without value, is that for some Christians their belief system is based entirely on fear, it was a primary part of their indoctrination. They worry about their own salvation and the passing of someone close forces them to look at their own mortality. In doing so, they see their possible future, painted by fire-and-brimstone preachers, and this fear is expressed as we have seen here over the past few days.
Both can be found in the Christian Bible.
I heard or read a wise person say it like this: Some worship the god of the Gospel of Mark, some the god of Revelation. One can pick either one, but not both. Don't remember who said it.
Kudos for trying.
Guess that's the Baptist Bible Belt stuff. Not how I was brought up. Not only by my family, but by my church of the time. We were certainly aware of all the Bible teachings, but the focus was on love and reward such as heaven opposed to threats and punishment such as fire and brimstone. My parents brought us up the same way. By not threatening us they seldom needed to punish us. It is respect. Just as we are to respect our Maker and our Savior, for those of us with those beliefs.

I was quite rebellious in my 20's. Telling me what I couldn't or shouldn't do made me want to do just that. I functioned much better on those that said what I might attain through positive actions. Never will negative force change a persons beliefs. Perhaps their actions, but not their desires. The old dudes always said it best as in "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink".

“Cleaning Up Christianity ”

Since: Jan 13

Topix Badlands

#440377 Jan 29, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been called worse.
;)
I must always try my hand at standup. It's my calling. LOL. I did a lot of it at work to make the time pass in a more enjoyable way. I couldn't remember jokes well, so I just made up stuff as the day went along. It was contagious in the same way being miserable and nasty tends to be. Kind of like Caddyshack and I think I was the gopher. Better than the ball.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#440378 Jan 29, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Then some worship this god.

Deuteronomy 32:39-42

泥o you see it now? Do you see that I知 the one?
Do you see that there痴 no other god beside me?
I bring death and I give life, I wound and I heal
there is no getting away from or around me!
I raise my hand in solemn oath;
I say,選知 always around. By that very life I promise:
When I sharpen my lightning sword
and execute judgment,
I take vengeance on my enemies
and pay back those who hate me.
I値l make my arrows drunk with blood,
my sword will gorge itself on flesh,
Feasting on slain and captive alike,
the proud and vain enemy corpses.樗

Along with this god.

http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com/2010/...

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#440379 Jan 29, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>You think that only the Bible has the 'right' information, and then only if it is interpreted as you understand to be 'right'. That's what every other Christian thinks. The Muslims think that only their holy book is the 'right' one, and then only if interpreted as each of them understands it.
With 39,000 and growing sects of Christianity, I would say that it is so subjective that it is open to anyone to interpret it in the manner they think is 'right'. That's the problem with every and all religions. They are subjective enough to be individual time and again.
Christians can't even agree on basic teachings, yet they expect everyone else to worship in the way they personally think is the 'right' way.
They will make terrible remarks about how another Christian believes. They will disparage (to put it kindly) others of their own religion without a thought. How do you think that looks to those outside your faith? There are actually churches who print pamphlets degrading other sects of the Christian religion, calling them cults, idolaters, demons and such. Had they looked up the word 'cult', they would have known that they too are a cult as they worship a supernatural being. But that doesn't stop anyone from doing it.
I have no problem with someone coming to their own understanding of any scriptures by study, prayer/meditation, etc. unless it harms other human beings. Religion has harmed mankind on a very large scale for thousands of years. Not just Christianity, but Christianity and Islam have by far been the worst since their invention.
I believe what Jesus said when he said that heaven is within you (or in your midst as some people interpret it). That means heaven is in the here and now. All you have to do is recognize that the kingdom is within and all around you. So is hell. It is of our own making, not that of God. There are no literal streets paved with gold. There are no literal priceless jewels. No God would need those, unless he were only trying to attract those to whom these things are important..a bauble dangled in front of the nose of elitists. That would not comply with the teachings of Jesus, anyway.
The jewels are the things we recognize on a daily basis, and the lessons we learn. The gold is what is inside of us.
To hope, as some here do, that someone will be tortured forever just for disagreeing with them is an abomination and a God who would do that is not worth worshiping. That's not justice, it's tyranny as practiced by a sociopath.
So, interpretation is everything. It is also nothing. It is everything to those who think they have all the answers, and nothing to those who know that no one has all the answers.
We believe as we do because of our own experiences, our own study, our own ability to understand or the lack thereof. There is not a single religion that applies to everyone, proven by humanity itself. An estimated 2.1 billion Christians who can't agree is proof that no one of them has all the answers. We are left to our own seeking or following.
I am not saying one group or sect has a monopoly on the truth. And if someone wishes to base their beliefs on something other than the Bible that is their choice. My point is if someone chooses to base their beliefs on the Bible then they should research those beliefs for themselves instead of just going by what someone else has told them. If someone is going to base their beliefs on the Bible then they should read it first hand. Whatever people base their beliefs on is their business. I simply am not a fan of people coming to a position because someone else told them to. That goes for politics or anything else

You said:

"I have no problem with someone coming to their own understanding of any scriptures by study, prayer/meditation, etc."

Would you consider someone coming to their own understanding if it is simply repeating what someone else told them?

Location hidden

#440380 Jan 29, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> I personally think most human beings, even those in prison, are about as likely to forgive you if you say you're sorry as does any God. They just won't make you a promise of eternal life. And that's really what Christianity is about...not forgiveness. If it were only forgiveness, with no promise of something special that you think others won't get, then there wouldn't be a single person who is Christian who could not be persuaded by a God with more to offer.
Whether a prisoner is more likely to forgive someone than God would be a different conversation. The discussion was based on deterrence and does being answerable to God act as more of a deterrent for a believer than being answerable to man. If a believer is confident God will forgive them than fear of punishment from God does not serve as more of a deterrent than punishment by man. And especially if a believer feels God has already forgiven all future sins then there is no possibility of punishment from God being a deterrent for that believer. Deterrence is subjective and is effective to the extent that the person fears the repercussions.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#440381 Jan 29, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Them taste jest like rat tirds.
Them's the ones ya pick up off'n the ground in Greece.

Location hidden

#440382 Jan 29, 2013
Proxysan wrote:
So, what's been happening since I've been gone?
We been paint'n over the slogans on yer soapbox, piss'n on yer Darth Nader costume, an stomp'n on yer 24 karat gold plated KAZOO. Jist the usual stuff ...Y'know?

Location hidden

#440383 Jan 29, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you, Skom. I have a hard time just wrapping my mind around behavior like that. Why would anyone say a friend had died if they hadn't? I don't get the idea behind that. I don't get the idea behind being nasty to people who lost a friend or acquaintance that they truly liked. I don't get a lot of stuff, I suppose.
I suspect this poster is either pretending to be Duststorm or the poster known as Duststorm has always been a sock. In which case then they are intentionally being as offensive as possible just for the sake of doing so to get a reaction.

Of course the question still remains what motivates someone, whether they are pretending to be someone else or not, to engage in such behavior? My guess is they resent seeing people mourning the loss of a loved one knowing their own passing would not invoke the same reaction from the people that know them. At bare minimum I'd assume someone who seeks pleasure out of intruding on such a private moment has very few things in their life that brings them joy. And haven given up any hope that will change they resort to trying to make other people as miserable as they are.

Even in an anonymous setting, people tend to reveal quite a bit about themselves. And having to face no consequences for their actions affords quite a bit of freedom for people to show their true colors. For whatever reason misery loves company. I have never understand that as how does someone else going thru difficult times make my situation any better? It is definitely one of the more twisted aspects of human psychology.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#440384 Jan 29, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Then some worship this god.
Deuteronomy 32:39-42
泥o you see it now? Do you see that I知 the one?
Do you see that there痴 no other god beside me?
I bring death and I give life, I wound and I heal
there is no getting away from or around me!
I raise my hand in solemn oath;
I say,選知 always around. By that very life I promise:
When I sharpen my lightning sword
and execute judgment,
I take vengeance on my enemies
and pay back those who hate me.
I値l make my arrows drunk with blood,
my sword will gorge itself on flesh,
Feasting on slain and captive alike,
the proud and vain enemy corpses.樗
Along with this god.
http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com/2010/...
The problem I see is that they try to usurp that which is not theirs to have.

In the Hebrew Scriptures (at least) it is God that has the power to kill, destroy, judge, give life and give power; not man.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#440385 Jan 29, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect this poster is either pretending to be Duststorm or the poster known as Duststorm has always been a sock. In which case then they are intentionally being as offensive as possible just for the sake of doing so to get a reaction.
Of course the question still remains what motivates someone, whether they are pretending to be someone else or not, to engage in such behavior? My guess is they resent seeing people mourning the loss of a loved one knowing their own passing would not invoke the same reaction from the people that know them. At bare minimum I'd assume someone who seeks pleasure out of intruding on such a private moment has very few things in their life that brings them joy. And haven given up any hope that will change they resort to trying to make other people as miserable as they are.
Even in an anonymous setting, people tend to reveal quite a bit about themselves. And having to face no consequences for their actions affords quite a bit of freedom for people to show their true colors. For whatever reason misery loves company. I have never understand that as how does someone else going thru difficult times make my situation any better? It is definitely one of the more twisted aspects of human psychology.
LOL I think Dusty is the one and only Dusty.

This might sound a little crazy but it might also hold some truth.

I think when Dusty came to Topix she envisioned saving souls. When that didn't happen she got angry and just decided to condemn us all to hell...the worse she could make it sound...the more revenge that she can get.

Who knows...maybe she has a quota that she needs to reach and we just aren't cooperating with her.

Plus...she gets attention this way and who knows...maybe that is what she is truly looking for.

As irritating as it might be...it is also sad.

Location hidden

#440386 Jan 29, 2013
<quoted text>
That's quite disturbing to say the least. I really don't have score cards on who is what. Like in reality, I don't recall meeting anyone and saying "are you a Christian or something else". It's ludicrous. Although we are not to be ashamed of what we love, neither are we to force it upon another.
As far as the dream, "Vengeance is mine saith the Lord". "As we forgive, so too will we be forgiven". Looks like Dusty better go fishing and see if she can drown that worm that won't die.
That Dusty gal's jist in a real bad disposition coz when they plastic welded them "bobby pullups" on 'er they maked 'em so tight that they makes 'er look like a penguin when she walks, an that real loud {{{squeeeek'n}}} noise is real irritat'n too! Them size 24 Keds sneakers don't help matters none neither...Jist so ya know... It does tend ta make them "inquisition" gather'ns kinda interest'n though.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#440387 Jan 29, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
... My point is if someone chooses to base their beliefs on the Bible then they should research those beliefs for themselves instead of just going by what someone else has told them...
You are one of the few who understand that.

That is why people here proclaiming to be Christians are held up to the Christian Bible, Jews are held up to the TaNaKh ad Muslims held up to the Qu'ran.

If one claims to believe a document is the foundation of their lives then it is fair to assess them according to that document.

Sadly, many Christians and Muslims use those documents to measure others instead of themselves. THAT is what makes them "lost" in my opinion.

Location hidden

#440388 Jan 29, 2013
Doctor REALITY wrote:
There's no such thing as 'used to be' a christian. Either you're saved right now,or you've NEVER been saved.
That's what she said when the bed broke!
Oh what a nite!

“Love much, trust none”

There

#440389 Jan 29, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
... My guess is they resent seeing people mourning the loss of a loved one knowing their own passing would not invoke the same reaction from the people that know them...
Not sure about that. I am pretty confident I will die alone, few will attend my funeral, if there even is one, and few tears will be shed.

I won't mind, I'll be dead. It is living until then that is the tough part full of tears of joy as well as sorrow.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#440390 Jan 29, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL I think Dusty is the one and only Dusty.
This might sound a little crazy but it might also hold some truth.
I think when Dusty came to Topix she envisioned saving souls. When that didn't happen she got angry and just decided to condemn us all to hell...the worse she could make it sound...the more revenge that she can get.
Who knows...maybe she has a quota that she needs to reach and we just aren't cooperating with her.
Plus...she gets attention this way and who knows...maybe that is what she is truly looking for.
As irritating as it might be...it is also sad.
Sounds much like YellowDog.

Very sad. The reason I left that thread was I couldn't bear to read her tormented posts nor those prodding her further into her self made Hell.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#440391 Jan 29, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds much like YellowDog.
Very sad. The reason I left that thread was I couldn't bear to read her tormented posts nor those prodding her further into her self made Hell.
I remember YD posting in the Gay/Lesbian forum several years ago. She was always so angry...so filled with hate. I never stayed long on any thread that she was posting on.

You are right...very sad.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#440392 Jan 29, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text> That's what she said when the bed broke!
Oh what a nite!
Was that late December back in 63???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min Lumajuice 778,847
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 25 min Epiphany2 605,362
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 27 min Kannan 5,528
Moses never existed 49 min Khatru 839
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Tony17 560,588
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 1 hr Mandela 119,693
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr onemale 265,482
Straight guys: Would you ever have intercourse ... (Jul '12) 23 hr risque 137
More from around the web