Why I’m no longer a Christian

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#440358 Jan 29, 2013
p-o-p quiz wrote:
<quoted text>You mean the one who sounds like a hybrid Aussie-English Cockney accent, depending on who is doing the voice-over?
I thought he was doing a tame Michael Caine impersonation.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#440359 Jan 29, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you get that idea? As I have told you repeatedly, I am willing to consider the possibility that some parts of the Bible represent surviving revelation, mostly as a courtesy to my Jewish friends. Some parts are obviously myth. It is obvious to anyone with a modicum of education that neither of the creation myths in Genesis actually happened, nor did Noah's flood...
Judaism 101, If it sounds like a fairytale it is a fictional allegory.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#440361 Jan 29, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text> The underly'n thread ta all this is that the Hindu's are perpetrating genocide on the Moslem population (as undesirables). This is really nothing new. It just changes characters, It has gone on for thousands of years...in fact it was the reason that Abrum, Sarai and Terah relocated to Ur of the trade road, Nahor, and then to the Middle east...denounced their(Abrum/Sarai) Brahman beliefs, changed their namesto Abraham and Sarah, and founded an entirely new relgion.
By Jove! I think he's got it! <smile amd tip o' the hat>

“Cleaning Up Christianity ”

Since: Jan 13

Topix Badlands

#440362 Jan 29, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>Proof. I want to know if Dearth is really still alive.
Why is it any of your backbiting business? Who cares what you want? You best worry about your own soul, because what I've seen you represent is quite evil. You truly are mentally deranged, aren't you? Nobody owes you any proof of anything. This is no court of law and you're far from the Judge. I'd like to see proof that you're a human being.

Topix Badlands

#440366 Jan 29, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh...pay no attention to Dusty...she is just working through some of her anger issues...or sexual frustrations...maybe both.
Rumor has it thought that Dusty has applied for the over-seers job in hell. She wants to be there so that she can watch all of us cringe in fear when the steel fangs burst out of God's eyes...or was the bolts of lightning...fire torches??? Well...whatever.
Tickets to watch us being pushed over in to the fiery pit of hell go on sale two weeks before the rapture...limited quantity available so Dusty will probably be camping out there weeks in advance...just in case she doesn't get the over-seers job.
Well...at least that is what I heard. Well...I didn't really hear all that but I think that Dusty might just get all excited about the possibility of it. She dreams of us being fried in a hot skillet like a slab of bacon and being eaten alive by some giant torture worm.
She is strange...
That's quite disturbing to say the least. I really don't have score cards on who is what. Like in reality, I don't recall meeting anyone and saying "are you a Christian or something else". It's ludicrous. Although we are not to be ashamed of what we love, neither are we to force it upon another.

As far as the dream, "Vengeance is mine saith the Lord". "As we forgive, so too will we be forgiven". Looks like Dusty better go fishing and see if she can drown that worm that won't die.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#440367 Jan 29, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>Proof. I want to know if Dearth is really still alive.
I want to know what mental hospital you are in.
Doctor REALITY

Little Rock, AR

#440368 Jan 29, 2013
There's no such thing as 'used to be' a christian. Either you're saved right now,or you've NEVER been saved.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#440369 Jan 29, 2013
Doctor REALITY wrote:
There's no such thing as 'used to be' a christian. Either you're saved right now,or you've NEVER been saved.
You were never Christian, Satan worshipper.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#440370 Jan 29, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are you, really?
I'm Batman

Topix Badlands

#440371 Jan 29, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm Batman
Does that mean you're batty as a hatter? Just jokering.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#440372 Jan 29, 2013
Doctor REALITY wrote:
Really??? I am glad someone finally told us that.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#440373 Jan 29, 2013
Janitor Of The LORD wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it any of your backbiting business? Who cares what you want? You best worry about your own soul, because what I've seen you represent is quite evil. You truly are mentally deranged, aren't you? Nobody owes you any proof of anything. This is no court of law and you're far from the Judge. I'd like to see proof that you're a human being.
Y'ever have a drunk uncle or aunt who always has to make a scene at family gatherings?

That's our dusty.

Now my opinion, which is without value, is that for some Christians their belief system is based entirely on fear, it was a primary part of their indoctrination. They worry about their own salvation and the passing of someone close forces them to look at their own mortality. In doing so, they see their possible future, painted by fire-and-brimstone preachers, and this fear is expressed as we have seen here over the past few days.

They worship a god of judgment, not a god of mercy.

Both can be found in the Christian Bible.

I heard or read a wise person say it like this: Some worship the god of the Gospel of Mark, some the god of Revelation. One can pick either one, but not both. Don't remember who said it.

Kudos for trying.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#440374 Jan 29, 2013
Janitor Of The LORD wrote:
<quoted text>
Does that mean you're batty as a hatter? Just jokering.
I've been called worse.

;)

“Love much, trust none”

There

#440375 Jan 29, 2013
The Bible is a 12,000+ word Rorschach test.

Topix Badlands

#440376 Jan 29, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Y'ever have a drunk uncle or aunt who always has to make a scene at family gatherings?
That's our dusty.
Now my opinion, which is without value, is that for some Christians their belief system is based entirely on fear, it was a primary part of their indoctrination. They worry about their own salvation and the passing of someone close forces them to look at their own mortality. In doing so, they see their possible future, painted by fire-and-brimstone preachers, and this fear is expressed as we have seen here over the past few days.
Both can be found in the Christian Bible.
I heard or read a wise person say it like this: Some worship the god of the Gospel of Mark, some the god of Revelation. One can pick either one, but not both. Don't remember who said it.
Kudos for trying.
Guess that's the Baptist Bible Belt stuff. Not how I was brought up. Not only by my family, but by my church of the time. We were certainly aware of all the Bible teachings, but the focus was on love and reward such as heaven opposed to threats and punishment such as fire and brimstone. My parents brought us up the same way. By not threatening us they seldom needed to punish us. It is respect. Just as we are to respect our Maker and our Savior, for those of us with those beliefs.

I was quite rebellious in my 20's. Telling me what I couldn't or shouldn't do made me want to do just that. I functioned much better on those that said what I might attain through positive actions. Never will negative force change a persons beliefs. Perhaps their actions, but not their desires. The old dudes always said it best as in "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink".

Topix Badlands

#440377 Jan 29, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been called worse.
;)
I must always try my hand at standup. It's my calling. LOL. I did a lot of it at work to make the time pass in a more enjoyable way. I couldn't remember jokes well, so I just made up stuff as the day went along. It was contagious in the same way being miserable and nasty tends to be. Kind of like Caddyshack and I think I was the gopher. Better than the ball.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#440378 Jan 29, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Then some worship this god.

Deuteronomy 32:39-42

“Do you see it now? Do you see that I’m the one?
Do you see that there’s no other god beside me?
I bring death and I give life, I wound and I heal—
there is no getting away from or around me!
I raise my hand in solemn oath;
I say,‘I’m always around. By that very life I promise:
When I sharpen my lightning sword
and execute judgment,
I take vengeance on my enemies
and pay back those who hate me.
I’ll make my arrows drunk with blood,
my sword will gorge itself on flesh,
Feasting on slain and captive alike,
the proud and vain enemy corpses.’”

Along with this god.

http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com/2010/...

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#440379 Jan 29, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>You think that only the Bible has the 'right' information, and then only if it is interpreted as you understand to be 'right'. That's what every other Christian thinks. The Muslims think that only their holy book is the 'right' one, and then only if interpreted as each of them understands it.
With 39,000 and growing sects of Christianity, I would say that it is so subjective that it is open to anyone to interpret it in the manner they think is 'right'. That's the problem with every and all religions. They are subjective enough to be individual time and again.
Christians can't even agree on basic teachings, yet they expect everyone else to worship in the way they personally think is the 'right' way.
They will make terrible remarks about how another Christian believes. They will disparage (to put it kindly) others of their own religion without a thought. How do you think that looks to those outside your faith? There are actually churches who print pamphlets degrading other sects of the Christian religion, calling them cults, idolaters, demons and such. Had they looked up the word 'cult', they would have known that they too are a cult as they worship a supernatural being. But that doesn't stop anyone from doing it.
I have no problem with someone coming to their own understanding of any scriptures by study, prayer/meditation, etc. unless it harms other human beings. Religion has harmed mankind on a very large scale for thousands of years. Not just Christianity, but Christianity and Islam have by far been the worst since their invention.
I believe what Jesus said when he said that heaven is within you (or in your midst as some people interpret it). That means heaven is in the here and now. All you have to do is recognize that the kingdom is within and all around you. So is hell. It is of our own making, not that of God. There are no literal streets paved with gold. There are no literal priceless jewels. No God would need those, unless he were only trying to attract those to whom these things are important..a bauble dangled in front of the nose of elitists. That would not comply with the teachings of Jesus, anyway.
The jewels are the things we recognize on a daily basis, and the lessons we learn. The gold is what is inside of us.
To hope, as some here do, that someone will be tortured forever just for disagreeing with them is an abomination and a God who would do that is not worth worshiping. That's not justice, it's tyranny as practiced by a sociopath.
So, interpretation is everything. It is also nothing. It is everything to those who think they have all the answers, and nothing to those who know that no one has all the answers.
We believe as we do because of our own experiences, our own study, our own ability to understand or the lack thereof. There is not a single religion that applies to everyone, proven by humanity itself. An estimated 2.1 billion Christians who can't agree is proof that no one of them has all the answers. We are left to our own seeking or following.
I am not saying one group or sect has a monopoly on the truth. And if someone wishes to base their beliefs on something other than the Bible that is their choice. My point is if someone chooses to base their beliefs on the Bible then they should research those beliefs for themselves instead of just going by what someone else has told them. If someone is going to base their beliefs on the Bible then they should read it first hand. Whatever people base their beliefs on is their business. I simply am not a fan of people coming to a position because someone else told them to. That goes for politics or anything else

You said:

"I have no problem with someone coming to their own understanding of any scriptures by study, prayer/meditation, etc."

Would you consider someone coming to their own understanding if it is simply repeating what someone else told them?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#440380 Jan 29, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> I personally think most human beings, even those in prison, are about as likely to forgive you if you say you're sorry as does any God. They just won't make you a promise of eternal life. And that's really what Christianity is about...not forgiveness. If it were only forgiveness, with no promise of something special that you think others won't get, then there wouldn't be a single person who is Christian who could not be persuaded by a God with more to offer.
Whether a prisoner is more likely to forgive someone than God would be a different conversation. The discussion was based on deterrence and does being answerable to God act as more of a deterrent for a believer than being answerable to man. If a believer is confident God will forgive them than fear of punishment from God does not serve as more of a deterrent than punishment by man. And especially if a believer feels God has already forgiven all future sins then there is no possibility of punishment from God being a deterrent for that believer. Deterrence is subjective and is effective to the extent that the person fears the repercussions.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#440381 Jan 29, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Them taste jest like rat tirds.
Them's the ones ya pick up off'n the ground in Greece.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Hidingfromyou 863,946
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 7 min dollarsbill 6,402
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 10 min sangili karuppan 1,838
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 39 min sangili karuppan 7,475
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 48 min Ajay 446
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... 1 hr MUQ2 835
The Christian Atheist debate 1 hr BenAdam 1,939
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr pusherman_ 599,406
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 hr WasteWater 272,403
More from around the web