Why I’m no longer a Christian

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#440304 Jan 29, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
And you get to choose what is myth qand revelation.
How convenient.
Where did you get that idea? As I have told you repeatedly, I am willing to consider the possibility that some parts of the Bible represent surviving revelation, mostly as a courtesy to my Jewish friends. Some parts are obviously myth. It is obvious to anyone with a modicum of education that neither of the creation myths in Genesis actually happened, nor did Noah's flood.
Yet all of those stories are myth, not mere fairy tale, because they are stories that aid the faithful toward a better understanding of that Deity. And that, after all, is what myth is all about.
In general, I do not believe that any of the events prior to the Exodus has any basis in reality. They are all myths. Events of and after the Exodus may have some basis in fact - or not.

Since: Mar 10

Trussville, Alabama

#440305 Jan 29, 2013
Owning Glyndwyr wrote:
<quoted text>Once again, this has nothing to do with what I said. Your motorway is a few kilometers short of the nearest exit. Christianity plays a large role in documented history. All of it is violent. It has nothing to do with whether I know Mary Jane Rottencrotch or not.
I remember her. She has pretty pink panties.

“SPEBSQSA”

Since: Aug 08

Maryland

#440306 Jan 29, 2013
Jorge W Arbusto wrote:
<quoted text>Well, Hindus have about a million gods. the Christians will probably catch up one day. Reading these forums gives me the impression that many Topix Christians invent gods every day. I wasn't implying that you were.
Given the recognized 38,000+ sects/cults/divisions of the christian religion and the individual beliefs therein I'd say they have already surpassed any other religion...each christian is his/her own "religion".

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#440307 Jan 29, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> I don't know about that. That means you have humans dying for humans as in the Isaiah 53 passage. How can a human or a group of humans offer themselves up as a guilt offering? Since guilt offering has to meet certain requirements as far as purity. How can a human come in the clouds of heaven, not earth as in the Daniel verse. John the Baptist refers to Jesus as the Lamb of God and the phrase is only repeated in Revelation 14. These are all allusions to the Isaiah verse. What man calls another man a lamb? The critics of Jesus understood the claims of Jesus very well when they said ''You being a man make yourself out to be God.'' John 10:33.
In Matthew 26:64 Jesus quotes the Daniel 7:13 to the high priest and in response the high priest tears his robe and accuses Jesus of blasphemy. If they were only expecting a man why the blasphemy charge? Remember the Daniel verse has the son of man coming in the clouds of heaven, not earth. In the Old that means judgement.
Gross conceptual error, caused by taking passages out of context and/or mistranslation.
This Christian interpretation is absolutely incorrect for several good reasons. Isaiah commonly uses familiar metaphors and often speaks of the people of Israel as a single individual referred to as the Servant of God. Moreover in nine previous passages, Isaiah identifies the Servant to be Israel, as we see in Isaiah 41:8 “Israel is my Servant…” and Isaiah 43:10 “You are My witnesses says the Lord, and My Servant whom I have chosen…”

Chapters 52-53 describe the reaction of the nations of the world when they witness the future and ultimate redemption of the Jewish people.

Initially, the nations viewed the Jewish people scornfully and considered them to be rejected by God and deserving of suffering and His divine punishment. Isaiah states that in the future, the nations will be shocked and dumbfounded when they witness God’s unexpected and glorious redemption of the Jewish people.

The nations will then contrast their new realization of Israel’s grandeur with their previous beliefs. Ultimately, they will conclude that the Jews were not rejected by God, but in fact, they suffered from the unjustified and disproportionate persecution inflicted upon them by the nations of the world.
From here:
http://www.jewsforjudaism.org/isaiah53/isaiah...

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#440308 Jan 29, 2013
Owning Glyndwyr wrote:
<quoted text>Huh? What are you prattling on about, psycho?
Pssst...you keep giving yourself away.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#440309 Jan 29, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>Nun's is like that y'know. Ya gotta realy watch 'em too! They got's projectile poop is what I heared!
Lol... Well can't say I've seen that..

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#440310 Jan 29, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah. Yer s'posed ta flip the cow pies over an wash the gooey stuff off'n the good stuff first.
Least that's what the faery's told me anaways.
Faeries are smart.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#440311 Jan 29, 2013
Owning Glyndwyr wrote:
<quoted text>One more time, for posterity:

You use a comparative without comparing it to anything. Like if Bosisto's EucoFresh used the slogan, "It get's your clothes 50% cleaner!" Cleaner than what?

So "Our God is Greater":

1. Than what?

2. Why the need for the declarative if in it's very definition it would be the ultimate?

3. Isn't this ignoring one of those silly commandments? Not the killing or stealing commandment but those that make your God seem bloody insecure. And while we're at it, why no commandment against rape? Why, instead, is the oak a veritable primer on rape and its spoils? Funny concept for a Sheila to support.

4. It makes it seem as though you aren't so sure, having to shout it from the terraces. Weird, right?
Who are you, really?

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#440312 Jan 29, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>posting from the library huh???? you're poor
Lol...

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#440313 Jan 29, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
Well I swing y and what do I find??? Juicy having her way with the rum dumb
He's my stalker. I have a large swatter.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#440314 Jan 29, 2013
Jorge W Arbusto wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, you should run away far and fast when a man with a collar approaches. At the least you'll lose some dough, at the worst your innocence and sense of reality.
Lol... I'm sorry if I was rude, I just can't look at you and type coherently.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#440315 Jan 29, 2013
Jorge W Arbusto wrote:
<quoted text>Everyone here is slightly freaky, no?
Every one might be one person but yes.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#440316 Jan 29, 2013
Jorge W Arbusto wrote:
<quoted text>Hat tip.
I like you now, am a moody woman, forgive me.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#440317 Jan 29, 2013
Jorge W Arbusto wrote:
<quoted text>Well, Hindus have about a million gods. the Christians will probably catch up one day. Reading these forums gives me the impression that many Topix Christians invent gods every day. I wasn't implying that you were.
Lol...I refer you to my profile quote :D

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#440318 Jan 29, 2013
wagyl wrote:
<quoted text>wasn't used in the context of evolutionary theory.
fail
its a term from hinduism as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Hindu-Aryan-Theory-Evol...
used here in a scientific paper
http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.11...
Well, good on you for providing a short scientific piece which contained the word involution.

However, it still does not apply to evolution. It applies to disease, at least in this case. Now, when you can find a scientific paper which uses involution as the opposite of evolution (as your first claim noted), please give us a site where we can read it.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#440319 Jan 29, 2013
Jorge W Arbusto wrote:
<quoted text>This is a very bizarre post.
Some say he has one brain cell... I'm not so sure.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#440320 Jan 29, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Hinduism is a religion, not science.
2. The paper uses it in terms of biology as I previously stated.
You failed.
Another creationist, just in a different form. I will use a suspect attitude toward the postings of this person, to say the least.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#440321 Jan 29, 2013
Jorge W Arbusto wrote:
<quoted text>Proxysanism.
LMCAO!

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#440322 Jan 29, 2013
Jorge W Arbusto wrote:
<quoted text>A snort is a cackle? Can I buy you a dictionary? I'll slide it under the sanitorium door. No need to get out of the straitjacket.
He might not understand it.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#440323 Jan 29, 2013
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>Keep on looking...you aren't going to get it from anyone here.
She seems obsessed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 min Atheist Buster 48,553
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min Liamm 646,564
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 11 min WasteWater 2,043
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 21 min WasteWater 105,575
George Soros Is a Brilliant Investor 21 min andet1987 5
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 25 min RiversideRedneck 971,631
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 37 min Rider on the Storm 182,646
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 57 min Steve III 44,682
More from around the web