Why I’m no longer a Christian

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#439575 Jan 27, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
See, there's the problem. Jesus never spoke of Hell. The Greek authors wrote of Gehenna, Hades and Tartarus. The last two being places of the dead in pagan Greek religions. Was Jesus a pagan ?
In the Hebrew Scriptures there is only Sheol which is never mentioned in the NT.
Very interesting reading talking about some of the translation problems from Sheole to Hades and when they are used and why for grave versus hell and also Tatarus which Peter talks of is first mentioned in Job and is a place other gods or demons are sent not people. It goes through the whole history and the teachings of Jesus and just a ton of stuff. But it is basically a biblical study done by someone who believes in God to show why hell doesn't exist for men and that a loving God would not create such a place for men and in case did not as it was created for the devil and his minions. It basically concludes hell came from the mind of man and was not taught. It is interesting to say the least no matter how someone feels about the subject

http://www.2001translation.com/Hell.htm

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#439576 Jan 27, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Some say he wrote the sins of those present.
Yup. He could have written the names of their prostitutes in the sand.
That would have been clever blackmail.

Nikos Kazantzakis used that theory in "The Last Temptation".

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#439577 Jan 27, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely nothing. It was my mistake.
The Pericope Adulterae isn't in early manuscripts.
But then again, neither is the Johannine Comma.
No problem. It does illustrate the errors and editting in the "Word of God".

God really sucks at this writing thing. No wonder all his kid could do is scribble in the dirt. LOL

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#439578 Jan 27, 2013
haku wrote:
<quoted text>it doesn't. most masters never wrote any of their teaching downs. case in point socrates.
Can you prove that Sewcrates never wrote his teachings down?

Or are you just talking out of your asp?

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#439579 Jan 27, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> I did. All you have is select responses and quotes from King James which no one uses anymore except King James fundies. NASB translates Luke 17:21 as in your midst. Not within you. NASB is more accurate. If i am a moron it is only because i let you get to me.
To bad your "Word of God" is so Fed up no one can agree on what it says.

Have you read the Greek originals ?

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#439580 Jan 27, 2013
ladon wrote:
<quoted text>a fine example of negative humanism with extreme bias
Or Christianity.

Samey-samey

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#439581 Jan 27, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Very interesting reading talking about some of the translation problems from Sheole to Hades and when they are used and why for grave versus hell and also Tatarus which Peter talks of is first mentioned in Job and is a place other gods or demons are sent not people. It goes through the whole history and the teachings of Jesus and just a ton of stuff. But it is basically a biblical study done by someone who believes in God to show why hell doesn't exist for men and that a loving God would not create such a place for men and in case did not as it was created for the devil and his minions. It basically concludes hell came from the mind of man and was not taught. It is interesting to say the least no matter how someone feels about the subject
http://www.2001translation.com/Hell.htm
If one reads the Bible to justify their beliefs they can make it say anything they want.

IMHO, only when you read it without prior assumptions can you derive a few possible interpretations no of which are any better than any other.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#439582 Jan 27, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
He was giving his cell number to the hot chick.
They didn't have matchbooks back then, ya know.
Jesus was into babes?

Morton Smith said otherwise.

I'm just sayin'.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#439583 Jan 27, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
The dumbness falls square on my shoulders.
Wanna buy some pencils?
Three for a nickel, two for a dime.
But hey, the Johannine Comma is some pretty good stuff too.
Sorry 'bout that.
LOL

Don't need the pencils but could I possibly buy the erasers from them for a $1.00?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#439584 Jan 27, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
People are people.
They use excuses for all kinds of bad behavior. Religion is one of those excuses.
I agree. And the culture in America is very different than say places where religious wars are going on. You may get your occasional crime where it is directly linked like say bombing an abortion clinic but besides that even most hate crimes where someone may claim religion as the reason the underlying factor is just plain old bigotry. Most crimes have nothing to do with belief (or unbelief). Although people will use anything and everything as an excuse and sometimes that is one of the ones given. People always look for a way to justify bad behavior. And like you said, people are people. Some good, some bad.
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
OYE comes to mind.
I love her silly, Christ and all.
That makes two of us

She had A LOT going on last I talked to her. Some stressful stuff. I still think about her a lot. I hope she is doing ok. Even being Topix she will always have a special place in my heart. She is one of the rare ones.

(T) Peace

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#439585 Jan 27, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> I did. All you have is select responses and quotes from King James which no one uses anymore except King James fundies. NASB translates Luke 17:21 as in your midst. Not within you. NASB is more accurate. If i am a moron it is only because i let you get to me.
The Greek work you're not understanding is entos.

The same word is used in Matthew 23:26
"You blind Pharisee! First clean <in your midst> of the cup, so that its outside may also be clean."

*snort*

Christians is funny.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#439586 Jan 27, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. And the culture in America is very different than say places where religious wars are going on. You may get your occasional crime where it is directly linked like say bombing an abortion clinic but besides that even most hate crimes where someone may claim religion as the reason the underlying factor is just plain old bigotry. Most crimes have nothing to do with belief (or unbelief). Although people will use anything and everything as an excuse and sometimes that is one of the ones given. People always look for a way to justify bad behavior. And like you said, people are people. Some good, some bad.
<quoted text>
That makes two of us
She had A LOT going on last I talked to her. Some stressful stuff. I still think about her a lot. I hope she is doing ok. Even being Topix she will always have a special place in my heart. She is one of the rare ones.
(T) Peace
She's a beautiful spirit.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#439587 Jan 27, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I am curious as to where you got your information or is this just your own personal thinking?
The non response from atheists on this site says it all.
When you say atheist are you speaking of just those who claim no belief in God or are you including all that claim no religious affiliation? What about people of other faiths besides yours?
Christianity claims are exclusive as are Muslim claims. Both cannot be true which means they are both false or one is true and the other is not.
According to the Pew Research Center only about 1/5 of Americans claim no religious affiliation. That figure would include atheist and agnostics and those that might believe in God but not religion.
The percentage for those that claim atheism will vary depending on what statistics you look at but most have it between 1-3 percent. Are you saying that the 1-3 percent are responsible for most crimes in America?
No. I am saying i can turn atheist in my thinking at any given moment and so can others. In order to commit crimes one has to be atheistic in their thinking. If they really believed they were accountable to God then they would not do wrong, because the consequences are severe even if they escape human justice.
Again...what are you basing your statements on and who are you defining as atheists?
Atheists define themselves. I'm not sure what you are getting at. We have an intuitive sense of justice and of right and wrong and it has a source. That source is God. Under atheism there is no ultimate justice and that is counter intuitive. Atheism is a necessary prerequisite for most crimes since the criminal assumes he can get away with it or it is done in the heat of passion which indicates a loss of control.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#439588 Jan 27, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
If one reads the Bible to justify their beliefs they can make it say anything they want.
IMHO, only when you read it without prior assumptions can you derive a few possible interpretations no of which are any better than any other.
Well therein lies the problem. Belief and the subsequent interpretation should come AFTER reading. Too many people either haven't read the Bible or work backwards and try to fit the scripture into already existing beliefs. It is a fun strategy for madlibs but a terrible one for finding out what the Bible truly says.

The only way for people to overcome indoctrination is to first understand they have been indoctrinated. In and of itself it is not a terrible thing. Of course parents are the most likely cause and of course they want to instill morals and values and beliefs they feel are important in their children. But with this comes the obvious explanation that our beliefs, either through parents or teachers or churches or whomever have been told to us and mimicked and incorporated. And whether religion or politics or whatever that simply isn't good enough most of the time. They may be right on a lot, they may be wrong on a lot. But their percentage isn't their problem as no teacher is perfect. It is the responsibility of the individual to go back through on their own. Keep what they have been taught that is correct and adjust accordingly to things that are not. There is too much loyalty IMO to personal beliefs instead of simply getting the right beliefs based on what is actually said if one is going to go by the Bible

(T) Peace

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#439589 Jan 27, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus was into babes?
Morton Smith said otherwise.
I'm just sayin'.
Well he already knew that he had a chance, after all, that was why she was there.

I'm just sayin'.

I bet Smitth had so much fun with that. I know I have.
duststorm

League City, TX

#439590 Jan 27, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> Belief, not fact.
When did Jesus ever wish people to curl up like bacon while burning or wish them to have a torture worm?
If that's a slam at Dearth of Couth, I don't think it's very funny, WaterNymph.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#439591 Jan 27, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
Don't need the pencils but could I possibly buy the erasers from them for a $1.00?
I'll bite them off for you personally.

I guess you want me to dry them off too, huh?

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#439592 Jan 27, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Very interesting reading talking about some of the translation problems from Sheole to Hades and when they are used and why for grave versus hell and also Tatarus which Peter talks of is first mentioned in Job and is a place other gods or demons are sent not people. It goes through the whole history and the teachings of Jesus and just a ton of stuff. But it is basically a biblical study done by someone who believes in God to show why hell doesn't exist for men and that a loving God would not create such a place for men and in case did not as it was created for the devil and his minions. It basically concludes hell came from the mind of man and was not taught. It is interesting to say the least no matter how someone feels about the subject
http://www.2001translation.com/Hell.htm
If one reads the Bible to justify their beliefs they can make it say anything they want.

IMHO, only when you read it without prior assumptions can you derive a few possible interpretations none of which are any better than any other.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#439593 Jan 27, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Well he already knew that he had a chance, after all, that was why she was there.
I'm just sayin'.
I bet Smitth had so much fun with that. I know I have.
I love his scholarly book. One of the few I kept when I cleaned out my library.

Time will tell if it was worthy.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#439594 Jan 27, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> The non response from atheists on this site says it all....
You already proved you are an ignorant moron. Are you trying to prove that you are deceitful as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why do white men hate white women who want blac... (May '11) 7 min Paul is dead 3,547
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 7 min INSULTING THE PRO... 18,600
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 9 min mature slut 4 fun 104,185
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 14 min Frank Merton 44,034
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 39 min Rosa_Winkel 27,626
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 41 min guest 636,837
plzz suggest me what to do 1 hr chaitanya_w91 1
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 6 hr WasteWater 4,707
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 hr Joe Fortuna 968,644
More from around the web