Why I’m no longer a Christian

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#439441 Jan 27, 2013
Gut Stomper wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh, knowing you've spent 5/6 years on Topix saying: "Projection", "Thanks for sharing your mythology", "You must be a Christian", would frighten the hell out of anyone.
You're torturing yourself and killing us all with your repetitious babbling.
Yet you come back day after day to see what he has to say.

“YouCan't Throw MeTo The Wolves”

Since: May 10

"THEY COME WHEN I CALL"

#439442 Jan 27, 2013
Oh Heartless One wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly, I define the Christian God as evil & immoral, and no, I don't use the Bible as a guide anymore.
I think it was Thomas Paine who once described "God" as "the first cause." He also described the bible as a book of "vicious lies."

He's my kinda guy.

"THEY COME WHEN I CALL"

#439443 Jan 27, 2013
Dr Shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
projection
more lies?
You must be a Christian.
Shrinkie-dinkie! Stay outta the pool!

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#439444 Jan 27, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Kait, you may believe what you wish, but the energy we operate on comes from the food we consume. When we die, we merely stop consuming that fuel.
Our source of fuel still remains -- until it decomposes.
Mystically, anything is possible. Biologically, we simply stop nibbling on our source of energy.
Has anyone seen anything debunking, or further informing, the claim that a person who died showed a minute but measurable loss of mass at the moment of death? snopes attributes it as "True", insofar as the actual experiment and results, but I've heard nothing further on the matter.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#439445 Jan 27, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I have read a number of "self-help" books by a variety of authors...some of faith...some secular. There was not a single one that I agreed with in its entirety though each had something that was worth thinking about or adding to my own beliefs.
IMO...the Bible is no different. Should one throw out the good simply because they found the bad? Should one discard it simply because they do not believe it in its entirety? Even the parables have lessons that a non-Christian can apply to their lives.
I agree that there are some rather horrifying accounts withing the bindings of that book. However there are also some beautifully written words.
Good points

It works the same with people too.

I have come across very few people that I couldn't take at least something from

I am sorry I characterized your use of scripture as I did. It is a good thing IMO that even though you don't subscribe to the Bible as a whole that you can find beauty and wisdom within portions of it. And there is nothing wrong with someone outside the faith reminding those within that they should be trying to strive to be more like Jesus taught us to be

I am not going to repeat what I first took issue with because I think it was partly a miscommunication, partly posts made from both of us out of frustration, and nothing that needs to carry over as far as anything negative. I am only alluding to it now to clarify that not only I have no issue with someone outside the faith using scripture positively but it makes me happy to see even those who have left the faith can still take good things from it

That has been the part that I have never understood from so many on Topix who have left. I know the faith was a big part of their lives for a long time and I know large portions of that time it was a positive thing for them. So even if they don't believe the Bible literally any longer they still should be able to appreciate the potential faith has to help people find peace and grow as a person. With most things in life we should find the positives in them and take those otherwise we do ourselves a disservice.

I hope you continue to see the beauty and wisdom in the teachings of Christ and any other parts of the Bible that have touched you. That is a good thing. I have always said that even if some day I found myself not believing the Bible that I would have negative feelings towards my old faith. I can't see that happening although I am sure others thought that too but if even hypothetically why would I have any animosity towards something that has helped me grow as a person and has seen me through some very difficult times?

I understand some issues people have with the politicizing of Christianity for personal gain or the people who represent it poorly but that has nothing to do with the teachings of Christ. Be humble, forgive, do unto others s you would have them do unto you, don't hate, don't judge hypocritically, love your neighbor, brother, and enemy and don't worry about who is being punished but instead turn justice and even our own burdens over to God and trust in something bigger than ourselves. These are all good lessons and good ways to live. Anyone should be able to at least take that with them IMO

(T) Peace

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#439446 Jan 27, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Has anyone seen anything debunking, or further informing, the claim that a person who died showed a minute but measurable loss of mass at the moment of death? snopes attributes it as "True", insofar as the actual experiment and results, but I've heard nothing further on the matter.
I looked into it once long ago.

I don't remember the details, but, if I recall correctly, the methodology was questionable.

Columbus, OH

#439447 Jan 27, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Good stuff
It is.
duststorm

League City, TX

#439448 Jan 27, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
:)
You are an intelligent and passionate woman Dusty. I would love to see you use the energy you put into your witness to fire people up in a positive way. I am not suggesting sugar-coating things and obviously we must always answer questions honestly as to what we believe but anyone I know that has converted has done so because they saw in someone they knew a peace and joy they wanted for themselves.
Don't get me wrong, my personal example is a far cry from my witness as I have a long way to go before my first reaction is turn the other cheek versus an eye-for-an-eye. But not always living up to a standard doesn't mean I don't know what the standard it. And the more people see the positives in us, the strides we make, the love we share, the forgiveness we offer, and how to turn even the worst things over to God and lean on him for strength and comfort then the more someone may want to know God themselves
Our witness has to be more than just sharing the truth but exemplifying and focusing on the best parts of faith if we want people to listen to us. Nobody will ever be scared of a place they don't think exists. But everybody wants to be happy and and at peace and they see it in others of the faith then they may want it too. My witness needs a lot of improving too. I think we both have the ability though to reach people with our passion
(T) Peace
Amen.

"THEY COME WHEN I CALL"

#439449 Jan 27, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Kait, you may believe what you wish, but the energy we operate on comes from the food we consume. When we die, we merely stop consuming that fuel.
Yeah, but what about the energy already inside of us?
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>Our source of fuel still remains -- until it decomposes.
Decomposes? You're losing me here a little bit. Our source of fuel is the food we consume, isn't it? I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I swear it; you're my bud, and that ain't gonna change. I'm just trying to get a clearer picture here.
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>Mystically, anything is possible. Biologically, we simply stop nibbling on our source of energy.
A little mysticism is good for the soul; it makes life more interesting, a little more colorful. It makes life feel a little more like a trip to Disneyland rather than spending day after dreary day in high school.

I think what a lot of people do--the vast majority of the Western religious culture, I dare say--is to see a belief in God, the bible, souls, the ten commandments, moses, the parting of the red sea & etc--as a package deal, either to be accepted or rejected in toto; I don't.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Thomas Paine (a well-known deist) saw God as the First Cause. I have absolutely no problem with that. He didn't see "god" as this bearded cheerleader for the Hebrews, dressed in robes and sandals, and waving a wooden staff around, while jumping up and down and shouting, "Yeah! The jews are *my* people! And the rest of you can eat shit!"

In the Old Ways of my family's tradition, the myth says that first there was void and chaos; and that this void was torn open and the Goddess stepped through. She looked around and felt lonely, so she split herself into two--female and male. Then they had wild and crazy sex (Pagan "big bang" theory!), she became pregnant, and she gave birth to the Universe. Do I accept this as a literal truth? Nope; but my nonna does. If you press her on it, she'll simply say, "Shaddapa you head, and stop bothering me."

*I* think it's kind of poetic. And, since there's a full moon tonight, I'll be casting a circle and raising a toast to her and Dionysus (god of wine). I can understand how some can see it as an empty gesture, or even a complete waste of time; but to me, the stone circle and the altar, and the candles and the incense, and all the other ritual paraphernalia bathed in the glow of a full and silver moon in the dead of night makes me feel more alive. It helps me to connect with Divine Nature.

And the sex with Stephie ain't half-bad, either!

;)
Dr Shrink

Baltimore, MD

#439450 Jan 27, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text> Youze funny!
Silly person.
my name is not Youze funny

dr Shrink is proper name observing your flows of insane atheistic vawes inside of your poor brain

so?
I recommend ODMA as first step to plant normality in you

"THEY COME WHEN I CALL"

#439451 Jan 27, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Has anyone seen anything debunking, or further informing, the claim that a person who died showed a minute but measurable loss of mass at the moment of death? snopes attributes it as "True", insofar as the actual experiment and results, but I've heard nothing further on the matter.
Y'got me. It sounds vaguely familiar and rather interesting.
Dr Shrink

Baltimore, MD

#439452 Jan 27, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Regardless of what I believe, eh?
Christians is funny sometimes.
they are funny many times believing fables and lies of their churches sermons
completly seperate biblical Jesus from them
worldwide christians are just poor miserable lost herd controled by devil spirit, many of them seat on every christian topic

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#439453 Jan 27, 2013
Dr Shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
they are funny many times believing fables and lies of their churches sermons

completly seperate biblical Jesus from them

worldwide christians are just poor miserable lost herd controled by devil spirit, many of them seat on every christian topic
Thanks for sharing, Christian.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#439454 Jan 27, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
I have not.

Hardly surprising, in view of the difficulty of assembling a decent data base.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#439456 Jan 27, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>O heard 'bout it back then, but figgered it was a cat fight. No interest ta me @ the time.
Sounds like I better git them bleachers built then...never pass up the oppertunity ta make a buck y'know...Do ya know anaone what got's a cheap pizza shack fer sale? I'll split the proceeds with ya. We kin call it "Lil' Pina's Pizza".
I know a guy who knows a guy who can ship out a pizza shack pretty quickly. We should be rollin' in the dough in no time. Haha.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#439457 Jan 27, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Mmm .... lambchops.
My thoughts exactly.

Columbus, OH

#439459 Jan 27, 2013
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, but what about the energy already inside of us?
<quoted text>
Decomposes? You're losing me here a little bit. Our source of fuel is the food we consume, isn't it? I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I swear it; you're my bud, and that ain't gonna change. I'm just trying to get a clearer picture here.
<quoted text>
A little mysticism is good for the soul; it makes life more interesting, a little more colorful. It makes life feel a little more like a trip to Disneyland rather than spending day after dreary day in high school.
I think what a lot of people do--the vast majority of the Western religious culture, I dare say--is to see a belief in God, the bible, souls, the ten commandments, moses, the parting of the red sea & etc--as a package deal, either to be accepted or rejected in toto; I don't.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, Thomas Paine (a well-known deist) saw God as the First Cause. I have absolutely no problem with that. He didn't see "god" as this bearded cheerleader for the Hebrews, dressed in robes and sandals, and waving a wooden staff around, while jumping up and down and shouting, "Yeah! The jews are *my* people! And the rest of you can eat shit!"
In the Old Ways of my family's tradition, the myth says that first there was void and chaos; and that this void was torn open and the Goddess stepped through. She looked around and felt lonely, so she split herself into two--female and male. Then they had wild and crazy sex (Pagan "big bang" theory!), she became pregnant, and she gave birth to the Universe. Do I accept this as a literal truth? Nope; but my nonna does. If you press her on it, she'll simply say, "Shaddapa you head, and stop bothering me."
*I* think it's kind of poetic. And, since there's a full moon tonight, I'll be casting a circle and raising a toast to her and Dionysus (god of wine). I can understand how some can see it as an empty gesture, or even a complete waste of time; but to me, the stone circle and the altar, and the candles and the incense, and all the other ritual paraphernalia bathed in the glow of a full and silver moon in the dead of night makes me feel more alive. It helps me to connect with Divine Nature.
And the sex with Stephie ain't half-bad, either!
;)
I'm all for wine and sex.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#439460 Jan 27, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Binding scarves?
Pay no attention ta the man behind the curtain.
The idiocy of religious men who can't keep their zippers closed and need to 'bind' women so they won't do anything against their religious laws.

The way our congressmen are going, this is what we'll see for women of America in the future. But they're too worried about who gays are having sex with and who owns a gun to see the very real spread of this kind of thinking.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#439461 Jan 27, 2013
Zuiko wrote:
If it wasn't for Christianity we in the West would all be Muslims and living in a repressed, no freedom, backward society, just like all Muslim countries.
If it wasn't for Christianity that stopped the expansion of Islam into Europe, and thus all Europe and subsequently America becoming Muslim.
Those who are ignorant of history, or choose to ignore history, do not realize this.
And those who are ignorant of Christian history or choose to ignore it, do not realize that this is the same path down which we are headed this very day.

Get your thinking cap on.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#439462 Jan 27, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
So people should be thanking Christians. Right?
Yeah. The Dark Ages are proof of that for which we should be thanking them. You know, the Dark Ages that some Christians in power today are trying to bring back.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
disabled sex (Jun '14) 10 min garath 11
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 12 min Darwins Stepchild 866,214
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 18 min janeebee 6,564
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 29 min pusherman_ 600,249
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr AussieBobby 272,474
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 1 hr andet1987 6,317
Women hate disabled men and find them disgusting (Sep '08) 3 hr Gimp The pimp 77
The Christian Atheist debate 4 hr ChristineM 2,137
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 8 hr imr 48
More from around the web