Why I知 no longer a Christian

Posted in the Top Stories Forum

Comments (Page 20,645)

Showing posts 412,881 - 412,900 of440,796
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Hello Darlings!”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#437279
Jan 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
All is well.
Wish Buck showed up, at least once in a while.
You don't mean Buck Crick, do you?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#437280
Jan 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Angry Christians are a dime a dozen.
Must have something to do with that religion, eh?
It's entertaining to not that they're so rare in the general population that a significant proportion of 'em feel the need to use multiple IDs in here...

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#437281
Jan 21, 2013
 
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't mean Buck Crick, do you?
Who else?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#437282
Jan 21, 2013
 
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>oh my, there was only one man nearing 70 in that burg. Someone call the Guiness people. It must be a record.
On top of that, Staffordshire's a whole county - population just over a million.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#437283
Jan 21, 2013
 
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup. You got us real good, sphincter.
Anyone THAT desperate for attention...

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#437284
Jan 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>That candle will melt down to the middle at some point, and extinguish itself. I suggest you take better care of yourself, but it's just a suggestion. I realize there are times in life when we have to work harder, take care of those who are ill, and a lot of other things which make us tired. But if you don't take care of yourself, you're just asking for trouble. Taking a 20 minute nap when you have that short period of time renews your body and mind. I think it also renews your spirit, but that's just what works for me.
Our troubles don't follow us. We follow them. We worry over them, fiddle with them, and make them more important than the blessings we have in life. Sometimes, you just have to take a step back and prioritize.
I know this is unasked for advice from a person who has done all of the above and may be worth exactly what you paid for it, but nonetheless it is good advice.
A temple cannot stand without mortar.
I agree that whenever possible it is beneficial to include some downtime. Stress and fatigue can wear a body down and take a mental and physical toll. I just have had a ridiculous amount of time-consuming personal things lately that had to be taken care of. Then I hit the road for work at 3pm and get in around 3:30am so it has made for some real long days. After this week I should be fortunately down to just work for the most part.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#437285
Jan 21, 2013
 
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you seem to think that I'm a bugle player named Banks.
I'm okay with that.
Mr. Banks was the stuffy father in "Mary Poppins".
Played by David Tomlinson in the Disney movie.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#437286
Jan 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> I agree... people are who they are. As I have said many, many times there are good people who identify as Christians, and there are horrid people who identify as Christians. It is just that claiming something better while acting in the manner this poster does is a strike against Christianity, period. No one can look at those posts and think that Christianity does anything good for people.
I agree some people can act abhorrent in the name of faith. And while I think most people know the inherent dangers of stereotyping as that is really the first domino to fall before someone embraces prejudice or bigotry. However I would concede that it would be naive to think it isn't going to happen. I think it is kind of human nature to generalize negatively instead of positively. The good examples for whatever reason will be looked at as exceptions while the negative examples will be looked at as the rule. But the fact that some people do set good examples and try their best to live by the teachings of Christ through their faith to me just reinforces the problem isn't the system but how some decide to follow it. But any more than all Americans shouldn't be judged on the actions of some I feel the same across the board for any classification be it race, gender, political affiliation, religious belief, etc.
water_nymph wrote:
I have no sympathy or respect for someone who acts as this poster is acting. I have no patience or tolerance for them, proving that I cannot follow those two commandments myself I suppose.
Nor should anyone IMO. But I don't think loving our neighbor means we have to turn a blind eye to poor behavior. And i think if they are harming someone then our responsibility is first to help the person they are harming as how can we love that person if we remain quiet while they are abused? I admit it is hard to love someone who we find morally objectionable. And while some may see this as semantic hair-splitting I do think it is possible to love someone without liking them. The only way I can think to explain it would be for instance let's say someone I didn't like at all was starving. I would give them a meal despite not liking them because basic humanity trumps personal animus. That may not be the ideal way, I really don't know, but if someone continues to act is a terrible way it is going to be hard to think positively about them. But I won't ever let that make me abandon my humanity.

water_nymph wrote:
Thanks for the respectful conversation. It's been a while since that happened.
No problem. I am trying to keep Topix in perspective more. I let it dictate my emotions way too often and things like Couth dying reminds me how short life really can be. If I ever have to look back and regret my last words to someone I don't want it to be because I allowed something like the Internet get the best of me.

(T) Peace

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#437287
Jan 21, 2013
 
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Mr. Banks was the stuffy father in "Mary Poppins".
Played by David Tomlinson in the Disney movie.
I once knew a man with a wooden leg named Smith.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#437288
Jan 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

HipGnosis wrote:
Looks like you better stick to your "witty" zingers, which amuse us all to no end.
Hey Hip

Just was looking for a random post to say Hi

Good to see ya around

(T) Peace

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#437289
Jan 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Senecus wrote:
<quoted text>

But know what you mean by "...going..." - like the Eveready Bunny..."just keeps on going,and going, and..."
Take the advice some of the ladies left, give yerself some down time, you'll feel better:)
I hear ya. Sometimes it just seems like there is no end to it. I would gladly take all the down time I can get. Wow do I miss the days of working out of the home. Starting to think I may need a new candle myself. Good to see ya John

(T) Peace

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#437290
Jan 21, 2013
 
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Bam.
:)

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#437291
Jan 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Dearest X, I humbly apologise for all the Christians in America,
LOL

You know I saw a quote from a guy (R) running for office again and I will preface this by saying I am not a Republican and also think the main motivation for his quote was self-serving as he basically left politics because he got cheating on his wife and just up and left his duties to go to a different country I believe to be with his fiance and now he is doing his best to do damage-control. But with that said I thought the quote itself was brilliant. He said something like:

"We shouldn't ever judge a man by the best day of his life or the worst day of his life but rather look at the totality of his actions"

I thought that was pretty profound. How often to we tend to demonize someone based on their lowest moment? Or make a hero out of someone based on an isolated incident? And definitely the former is done all the time. And i thought he was absolutely right.

What made me think of this now though is how often do people look to do this to justify bigotry of groups they don't like? It could be Christians or homosexuals or blacks or Americans or women or men or whatever but people will find the worst of the lot and then try to paint everyone with that same broad stroke. And yet they never find the best of the lot and paint with broad strokes. That is intentional IMO.

Does Christianity have some things in its past that nobody is proud of? Sure. But I was no more responsible for that than I was for America having slaves. Are there some people within the faith that act terrible? Of course. There are close to a couple hundred million Christians in America alone. There are going to be bad representatives But ultimately they represent themselves. Should atheists apologize for Stalin or Dahmer or Kim Jong?

I am not going to say too much more because I think deep down people know this isn't a valid argument. Everybody is responsible for their own actions and their actions do not reflect on anyone who had no foreknowledge of them and didn't condone them upon learning about them.

(T) Peace

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#437292
Jan 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
I once knew a man with a wooden leg named Smith.
What was his other leg named?

“Ungood doubleplus duckspeak.”

Since: Dec 12

Earth.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#437293
Jan 21, 2013
 
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>LOL

You know I saw a quote from a guy (R) running for office again and I will preface this by saying I am not a Republican and also think the main motivation for his quote was self-serving as he basically left politics because he got cheating on his wife and just up and left his duties to go to a different country I believe to be with his fiance and now he is doing his best to do damage-control. But with that said I thought the quote itself was brilliant. He said something like:

"We shouldn't ever judge a man by the best day of his life or the worst day of his life but rather look at the totality of his actions"

I thought that was pretty profound. How often to we tend to demonize someone based on their lowest moment? Or make a hero out of someone based on an isolated incident? And definitely the former is done all the time. And i thought he was absolutely right.

What made me think of this now though is how often do people look to do this to justify bigotry of groups they don't like? It could be Christians or homosexuals or blacks or Americans or women or men or whatever but people will find the worst of the lot and then try to paint everyone with that same broad stroke. And yet they never find the best of the lot and paint with broad strokes. That is intentional IMO.

Does Christianity have some things in its past that nobody is proud of? Sure. But I was no more responsible for that than I was for America having slaves. Are there some people within the faith that act terrible? Of course. There are close to a couple hundred million Christians in America alone. There are going to be bad representatives But ultimately they represent themselves. Should atheists apologize for Stalin or Dahmer or Kim Jong?

I am not going to say too much more because I think deep down people know this isn't a valid argument. Everybody is responsible for their own actions and their actions do not reflect on anyone who had no foreknowledge of them and didn't condone them upon learning about them.

(T) Peace
I think you're right Skom and when prejudices are so deeply ingrained the behaviour of individuals in said groups, whether good or bad, makes no difference. We all just have to be who we are and accept that not everyone is going to see past their prejudice for whatever reason, no matter what, to what an individual might actually really be like. Peace <3

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#437294
Jan 22, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you're right Skom and when prejudices are so deeply ingrained the behaviour of individuals in said groups, whether good or bad, makes no difference. We all just have to be who we are and accept that not everyone is going to see past their prejudice for whatever reason, no matter what, to what an individual might actually really be like. Peace <3
I agree that prejudices if allowed unchecked can get to the point where people can no longer even distinguish individuals any longer.

The climate right now may be more to do with people showing up and using God or Christianity not only as an excuse to tell people someone they cared about that just died is in hell but to even paint themselves as the hero staunchly advocating the truth even at their own expense. It really is quite sickening on so many levels and for so many reasons

I understand why emotions may be running high. But who couldn't have predicted which Christians on Topix might be capable or even likely to do that? It just shows what we have always known about those people. I guarantee most Christians on Topix are equally disgusted. And we have to see it done as someone uses our faith as an excuse and used God as justification. It does almost make one feel like apologizing just because we know we will get painted with the same brush or maybe just because we know the person who should be apologizing won't and someone deserves to hear "I'm sorry" when someone does something so selfish and offensive.

But to apologize would mean i share in the blame and the only way that would be possible if I agreed with the actions of those who tried to capitalize on this tragedy to promote their agenda. I mean I am sorry simply as a human being that other human beings were subjected to such behavior. But those people don't speak for you or I or many others in any way

(T) Peace

“Ungood doubleplus duckspeak.”

Since: Dec 12

Earth.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#437295
Jan 22, 2013
 
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that prejudices if allowed unchecked can get to the point where people can no longer even distinguish individuals any longer.
The climate right now may be more to do with people showing up and using God or Christianity not only as an excuse to tell people someone they cared about that just died is in hell but to even paint themselves as the hero staunchly advocating the truth even at their own expense. It really is quite sickening on so many levels and for so many reasons
I understand why emotions may be running high. But who couldn't have predicted which Christians on Topix might be capable or even likely to do that? It just shows what we have always known about those people. I guarantee most Christians on Topix are equally disgusted. And we have to see it done as someone uses our faith as an excuse and used God as justification. It does almost make one feel like apologizing just because we know we will get painted with the same brush or maybe just because we know the person who should be apologizing won't and someone deserves to hear "I'm sorry" when someone does something so selfish and offensive.
But to apologize would mean i share in the blame and the only way that would be possible if I agreed with the actions of those who tried to capitalize on this tragedy to promote their agenda. I mean I am sorry simply as a human being that other human beings were subjected to such behavior. But those people don't speak for you or I or many others in any way
(T) Peace
I agree with all of that Skom and apologised regardlessly, because I am genuinely sickened and get lumped anyway, so to me, it can't do any harm. I think those that want to see it, know that those types don't speak for me or some other nice Followers of Jesus.
Peace Brother/Sister <3
Lost In Transition

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#437296
Jan 22, 2013
 
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
45C translates to 115 Fahrenheit
And sometimes something even hotter.
http://www.bing.com/images/search...
endtime

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#437298
Jan 22, 2013
 
.

PROOF Obama's ReElection = ANTICHRIST_______

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

.
duststorm

League City, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#437299
Jan 22, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Does Christianity have some things in its past that nobody is proud of? Sure. But I was no more responsible for that than I was for America having slaves. Are there some people within the faith that act terrible? Of course. There are close to a couple hundred million Christians in America alone.
duststorm replies: Skombolis, you say that Christianity has some things in its past that nobody is proud of.
I see that you are equating Christianity with Roman Catholicism, which has things in its past that nobody is proud of, mamely the bloody persecution, torture and killing of born again Christians who stood up and opposed infant baptism, selling of indulgences, etc.
Skombolis, I see by your post that you are most assuredly not a born again believer; rather, you are a Catholic.
So, like most others on this thread, you have not changed your beliefs as a result of anything that has been written by the few born again Christians.
This means that you, like millions of Roman Catholics, are unchanged of heart and are bound for a sinner's hell.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 412,881 - 412,900 of440,796
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

356 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min It aint necessarily so 716,429
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 7 min bmz 36,392
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 24 min petesake 114,618
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 28 min Buck Crick 223,169
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 29 min River Tam 598,743
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 54 min Gabric 62
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 1 hr ali 332
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr truth 529,972
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr onemale 255,692
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••