“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#437311 Jan 22, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>Waternymph, you claim to know for a fact that not a single Christian ever changed the mind of Dearth of Couth about what he believed. How do you know that?
Also, your not believing in hell does not mean that you will not someday be bound there for all eternity.
And your claim to know who is and isn't going to hell doesn't mean you won't be headed there yourself.

Hell is for children.

Grow up.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#437312 Jan 22, 2013
Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Huh, Why blame all Christians for the ignorance of those who CLAIM to be a Chriatian? That isnt very nice. I just came on here to offer my condolences. Thanks for acting as nasty as the SO called christian. Does that make YOU a christian too?
There are good people and bad people in all walks of life, including Christianity. You can't make them _not_ Christians because they don't behave in a way of which you approve. You just have to accept that they are not the kind of Christian you hope to be.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#437313 Jan 22, 2013
Red Apples wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice broad brush you're using there x. Should Christians use the same broad brush and paint you and all other non-Christians the same way for refusing to take responsibility for the actions of any non-Christian that spews out hatred in here?
Can you say double standard x?
_______
I'll take my leave now. The reason I showed up in here in the first place was to pass along my condolences about D.O.C., and having done that I'll move along so this thread can get back to it's usual self like it's quickly doing. Once again W.N. if you're in contact with D.O.C's family please pass along my condolences, thoughts and prayers.
I passed along your message yesterday, along with many others.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#437314 Jan 22, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> I had a post typed out for all of you bone-picking vultures here. But I decided not to go there. Enjoy yourselves.
You're only looking to upset those who cared about DoC. His death seems to please so many of you.
I am pretty sure he won't care what you do or say at this point and I won't allow you to make a difference in how I feel either.
Showing your ignorance and hatred is normal. It doesn't make anyone but you and your group of Christians look bad, so have at it.
They have nothing but fear and recrimination in their arsenal. Actually, I suspect it's not their beliefs that cause it, but they are very likely misanthropic social pariahs to begin with, and gravitate toward the uglier side of any belief to assuage and absolve themselves of their self-loathing and distrust of the world as they perceive it.

Did you ever notice how none of their prophecies and predictions forecast peace, harmony, or well-being, >except< in some indeterminate future for an infinitesimally tiny slice of historical humanity who were/are so "blessed" as to believe exactly as they do?

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#437315 Jan 22, 2013
Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
You will know them by their love for others. Religion does not = Christianity. You may disagree but that is your choice. Have a good night anyway.
Anyone who self-identifies as a Christian is a Christian. There is nothing you can do about that, unfortunately.

They are the reason people are trying the ruse of saying they do not belong to a religion but identify as Christians. It's a religion. There is nothing you can do to change that either.

I do feel for those who are trying to live up to their own interpretation of what Jesus would want them to do while being overcome by those who interpret what Jesus said as a way to commit as much evil as possible because they are 'saved'. But they are doing the world a service by showing the evil of extremism. They're not doing much for the nice guys though.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#437316 Jan 22, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Since you mention 70F...
SORRY!
No you're not sorry. You're braggin' again!

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#437317 Jan 22, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
I once knew a man with a wooden leg named Smith.
What was the name of his other leg?

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#437318 Jan 22, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you're right Skom and when prejudices are so deeply ingrained the behaviour of individuals in said groups, whether good or bad, makes no difference. We all just have to be who we are and accept that not everyone is going to see past their prejudice for whatever reason, no matter what, to what an individual might actually really be like. Peace <3
As long as you think that, those same people you are ignoring will continue to damage your religion. At some point, it will be so damaged that it will die a natural death.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#437319 Jan 22, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>
Does Christianity have some things in its past that nobody is proud of? Sure. But I was no more responsible for that than I was for America having slaves. Are there some people within the faith that act terrible? Of course. There are close to a couple hundred million Christians in America alone.
duststorm replies: Skombolis, you say that Christianity has some things in its past that nobody is proud of.
I see that you are equating Christianity with Roman Catholicism, which has things in its past that nobody is proud of, mamely the bloody persecution, torture and killing of born again Christians who stood up and opposed infant baptism, selling of indulgences, etc.
Skombolis, I see by your post that you are most assuredly not a born again believer; rather, you are a Catholic.
So, like most others on this thread, you have not changed your beliefs as a result of anything that has been written by the few born again Christians.
This means that you, like millions of Roman Catholics, are unchanged of heart and are bound for a sinner's hell.
But you are responsible for your own actions here. Hoping that all who oppose your point of view will be tortured for eternity is where it starts.

You have brains. You know better. But you let the fear take over and your feelings of injustice in your own life lead you to hate other human beings enough to want them to be tortured forever. Not only that, you have decided that a bible verse means that they will also have a torture worm with which they will be even more tortured.

Yours is the kind of mind that started the Inquisitions, so don't say it's all the Catholic's fault. It is the fault of anyone who thinks that eternal torture is okay if someone doesn't believe as you do.

That's the whole of it dusty. If you and those who think like you do had the opportunity, and it wasn't against the law, you'd do the same things the Catholics did 600 years ago.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#437320 Jan 22, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm so sorry to hear that.
I really enjoyed his posts.
How old was he, if you don't mind my asking?
Did he have previous heart problems?
He was in his late 50's if I remember correctly, and didn't ever mention having heart problems to me. But that doesn't mean he had never had any, it just means we never discussed it.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#437321 Jan 22, 2013
Ricky F wrote:
<quoted text>Good monring there Water N, ice to see ya!
Good morning, Ricky. It's a lovely, sunny morning here. I think I'm going to wrap up in a warm sweater and go sit outside a while. Good to see you, too.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#437322 Jan 22, 2013
This morning as my tribute to DoC I decided to back and read his opening posts. It has been sometime now since I have read it and I hoped to find a hint of who he was through the words he chose to open this thread with.

We have all commented on his grace and kindness he chose to display in stead of anger and insults...maybe this part of his opening explains why.

We could all take lessons from it.

Why I知 no longer a Christian, Part Two

I mentioned my doubts about the value of grace. Let me try to explain:

I learned early on that I, as a rather perceptive and articulate kid, wielded the power of language. I was able to wound someone deeply with a well-timed and chosen, derisive remark. I知 ashamed to say that I flung these about, at an early stage of my life, freely and easily. These thoughtless barbs of mine were the cause of a lot of needless pain. I believe they were the greatest sins of my commission, ever.

I was assured that my sins were forgiven me but I became aware after a time that the targets of my derision, once hurt or offended, remained hurt or offended for a very long time. Jesus forgiveness of me, I noted, made no difference at all to the people I had hurt. Things changed for me as I approached adulthood and began to feel genuine empathy for other people. In time I came to feel an element of real remorse for the thoughtlessness of my adolescence, and when I felt these regrets I still feel them today -- I realized that Jesus grace made no real difference to me, either.

I find it ironic...DoC mentioning an aspect of his at one time faith is now what we are seeing displayed here by some at a time that we are remembering the gentleness of DoC.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#437323 Jan 22, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>They have nothing but fear and recrimination in their arsenal. Actually, I suspect it's not their beliefs that cause it, but they are very likely misanthropic social pariahs to begin with, and gravitate toward the uglier side of any belief to assuage and absolve themselves of their self-loathing and distrust of the world as they perceive it.
Did you ever notice how none of their prophecies and predictions forecast peace, harmony, or well-being, >except< in some indeterminate future for an infinitesimally tiny slice of historical humanity who were/are so "blessed" as to believe exactly as they do?
Actually, I've never seen them say they think anyone but they themselves are headed for this heaven place. So 'infinitesimally small' is truly .....
The Only True Christian. One. They won't have to share Jesus with anyone else. They'll have him all to themselves.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#437324 Jan 22, 2013
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, what a christian...
Now, grab that piece of chalk and write on the chalkboard 1001 times... I will not look in the mirror and believe I'm Glenda, the Good Witch of the North!

Dr. Clownie

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#437325 Jan 22, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>Skombolis, you said, "No problem. I am trying to keep Topix in perspective more. I let it dictate my emotions way too often and things like Couth dying reminds me how short life really can be. If I ever have to look back and regret my last words to someone I don't want it to be because I allowed something like the Internet get the best of me".
duststorm answers: So you understand how short life is. Do you not also understand that you are not saved? You are relying on being a good person, saying kind words, living an upright life.
Do you not understand that being a good son, a good husband, a good father, a good citizen, etc. does not help at all with your own entrance into heaven?
Do you realize that you, by your judgement and pretending to know the mind of your god, are condemning yourself to your imaginary hell?

Do you know what "hypocrisy" means?

Look it up.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#437326 Jan 22, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
This morning as my tribute to DoC I decided to back and read his opening posts. It has been sometime now since I have read it and I hoped to find a hint of who he was through the words he chose to open this thread with.
We have all commented on his grace and kindness he chose to display in stead of anger and insults...maybe this part of his opening explains why.
We could all take lessons from it.
Why I知 no longer a Christian, Part Two
I mentioned my doubts about the value of grace. Let me try to explain:
I learned early on that I, as a rather perceptive and articulate kid, wielded the power of language. I was able to wound someone deeply with a well-timed and chosen, derisive remark. I知 ashamed to say that I flung these about, at an early stage of my life, freely and easily. These thoughtless barbs of mine were the cause of a lot of needless pain. I believe they were the greatest sins of my commission, ever.
I was assured that my sins were forgiven me but I became aware after a time that the targets of my derision, once hurt or offended, remained hurt or offended for a very long time. Jesus forgiveness of me, I noted, made no difference at all to the people I had hurt. Things changed for me as I approached adulthood and began to feel genuine empathy for other people. In time I came to feel an element of real remorse for the thoughtlessness of my adolescence, and when I felt these regrets I still feel them today -- I realized that Jesus grace made no real difference to me, either.
I find it ironic...DoC mentioning an aspect of his at one time faith is now what we are seeing displayed here by some at a time that we are remembering the gentleness of DoC.
Thanks for the introspection, Annie.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#437327 Jan 22, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> He was in his late 50's if I remember correctly, and didn't ever mention having heart problems to me. But that doesn't mean he had never had any, it just means we never discussed it.
I'm so sorry.

His wife must be devastated.

Please send condolences.

I just started reading this thread not long ago, but I enjoyed his posts. He will be missed, I'm sure.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#437328 Jan 22, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm so sorry.
His wife must be devastated.
Please send condolences.
I just started reading this thread not long ago, but I enjoyed his posts. He will be missed, I'm sure.
I can't imagine what it's like to have your husband die in bed next to you. And yes, she is absolutely devastated.

I will forward your condolences.

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#437329 Jan 22, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> As long as you think that, those same people you are ignoring will continue to damage your religion. At some point, it will be so damaged that it will die a natural death.
At this point, I think I'm ok with that. Maybe I misunderstood His teachings but I don't think all these factions, religions, denominations, branches, infighting, law disagreements, wars and killing in the name of God etc...were what Jesus had in mind for us or what He taught us. To me, those things are man made and Jesus taught us to love the Lord our God and each other as ourselves. Man made Faith into Religion + Law + Politics and it complicated everything we were taught, making it entirely fallible, corruptible and now crumbling. Enough people here debate and fight and get downright nasty and over what? Individual perceptions? If I can avoid participating in that vein, I will. Not that I always actually manage to avoid it just that most of the time, I want to.

“Are you a Problem or Solution?”

Since: Mar 09

Ann Arbor, MI

#437330 Jan 22, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> No you're not sorry. You're braggin' again!
I got up this morning at 5:30 A.M when the school called to say that all schools in the county are closed for the day. It was -6 out with wind-chill of -18. It has now warmed up to a balmy{sarcasm}-4 and -12 with wind-chill. Our high temp expected for the day is 0..grumbleI for one am not moving very far from the fire or coffee today ;O) Good morning to you Water!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Hidingfromyou 778,321
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min June VanDerMark 560,445
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 5 min RiccardoFire 96,852
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 6 min Johnny 4,889
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 25 min onemale 265,446
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 31 min truth 605,335
is it wrong i like to wear womens underwear (Nov '12) 34 min risque 191
Straight guys: Would you ever have intercourse ... (Jul '12) 41 min risque 137
More from around the web