Why I’m no longer a Christian

“ Xue Rengui”

Since: Oct 09

Khitan extraordinaire

#437073 Jan 21, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Would it be respectful if someone died in your a family and they were approached by a Muslim who wanted you to know that your loved one is eternally deprived of an after-life because they did not accept Allah? What about of a Christian but with different beliefs than you told you your family member is in hell because that is what they honestly believe? What about if a devil worshiper tells you because your family rejects satan they will be punished in death instead of rewarded if they honestly believe that?
I am a Christian btw but I reject your rationalization that you are showing respect. First of all even while someone is alive you are failing to follow the Bible by telling people who is going to hell:
Luke 6:37
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.
You can warn people of hell and you can witness as to what saves. What you can't do is speak for God
But what possible reason would one have to telling someone a loved one that has already passed is in hell and how is that respect? Did someone in his family ask for your opinion?
That people are speaking out of concern for another's soul or showing love to them by telling them the truth is one of the biggest lies told on Topix . Not because it couldn't be true but simply because it so rarely is and the contempt that often accompanies it exposes the real truth.
As for going to Heaven like you, a verse you may wish to keep in memory
Matthew 12:37
"For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."
I saw that Senacus made a mention of character in hopes some wouldn't see this as an opportunity to promote their own agenda regardless of its sincerity or lack of. There are things called common decency and civil boundaries that should dictate this time has nothing to do with you and your opinions on who is in hell wouldn't be welcomed by those mourning.
The absolute best case scenario here is you are selfish and thoughtless. I am guessing the truth is much more severe. Honor God by conducting yourself with some simple decency in His name. Or at least have the integrity not to hide behind it
Bravo;)

Hope things going well Stevie:)

“ Xue Rengui”

Khitan extraordinaire

#437074 Jan 21, 2013
Red Apples wrote:
<quoted text>
You said quote: "well we gave all the love that was needed to save him and you."
Do you really think you've shown any love at all to anyone? All you've done is spew out your venom and hate and done the exact opposite of what Jesus Christ did and taught. If you think for one second that God backs your actions in here than you are as delusional as they come. The only one you're bringing glory to is your misguided ego and satan who's playing you like a fiddle.
Oh and one more thing. If you knew the first thing about "salvation" (which you clearly don't) you would know that salvation comes only from God through Jesus Christ. And not from some nut job like you that stands behind your self made pulpit spewing out your self righteous religious hatred that in your delusional mind you call love.
If you think the sick and twisted thing you're calling love can save anybody (including yourself) than you're more delusional and lost than I thought. Believe me, the persons salvation you need to be worried about is your own. Because if you continue with the hate and venom you're spewing out God is going reject you so fast your head will spin.
Bravo;)

You have yerself a good day ,John:)

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#437077 Jan 21, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
I received a t-mail about Couth. Just wanted to offer my condolences. I have rarely seen someone remain as decent as he consistently came across as. I have a feeling the world is slightly worse for his having left it
Rest in Peace Dearth
I'll pass on your condolances, Skom.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#437078 Jan 21, 2013
@ Senecus...John...Steve...Dusty and the others that have spoken up...

I would feel remiss if I didn't relay my gratitude to all of you that have spoken up to try and silence those that come to harass during our time here at WINLAC to remember a friend.

Those of us that have posted here for the last several years remember DoC as someone that showed restraint even when being attacked.

So as DoC told many...

Thank you for your input.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#437079 Jan 21, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Would it be respectful if someone died in your a family and they were approached by a Muslim who wanted you to know that your loved one is eternally deprived of an after-life because they did not accept Allah? What about of a Christian but with different beliefs than you told you your family member is in hell because that is what they honestly believe?......
The absolute best case scenario here is you are selfish and thoughtless. I am guessing the truth is much more severe. Honor God by conducting yourself with some simple decency in His name. Or at least have the integrity not to hide behind it
This is a very nice post,Skom. I clipped part of it so I could respond.

As I looked over what had been said here in the last 24 hours, I realized that DoC would have had it no other way. He never censored anything on this thread he started.

He once said something to the effect that he could see that most Christians didn't have what they claimed to have, which is something better. He lived on the simple thought that being nice was better than going any other route. He was nice to people no matter what they said to them. Therefore, he lived much more closely to what Jesus taught than 99% of the Christians who have ever posted here.

I do feel sorry for those who can't follow the teachings of Jesus at a time when people are trying to remember the nice person he was and missing his wit and wisdom. That's not even to mention the wife and family he left behind.

I know for a fact that not a single Christian ever changed his mind about what he believed, but that he respected one or two who posted here at one time or another. Those few remained calm and kind just as he did. They didn't argue with him (or anyone else) or tell them constantly that they would go to hell. They especially did not use someone's death as a chance to spew their hate.

So DoC would be happy that this thread continues and that his ideas about Christians in general (though not in toto) was on the money.

Those who have been so vile have no clue that they are proving that people should not ever consider being Christian. They prove that Christianity has nothing at all better than what DoC or any other non-Christian has, not even the ugliest of non-Christians (and there are some of those too).

DoC saw the life as a beautiful thing to be treasured and a great part of that was because this world is populated with other human beings. He never answered hate with hate. He truly loved people in most cases much more than those who are under a commandment to do so.

So, because DoC would not have censored while he was living, he would not expect it to be so when he is no longer living.

I am, however, encouraged by the Christians who have spoken up on this matter and tried to get their fellow Christians to behave themselves just this once. It's a bright and shining star comparatively.

Thanks for your efforts and decency.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#437081 Jan 21, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
Hearts for everyone;
http://www.google.com.au/search...
Nice, Jlu. Thank you.
Huh

Garland, TX

#437082 Jan 21, 2013
DA Facts wrote:
Still no confirmation out of Stafford or Eccleshall. No proof or indications that any of this is true.
Typical Topix hoax.
Seek help. There have been 1,100 gun deaths in America since Newtown. Seek help before you hurt someone.
Rosa Winkel

Australia

#437083 Jan 21, 2013
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> The temperature here is dropping like a rock. Thank goodness I am not in the snow forecast. Just wind and colder temps. But it will warm up to about 50 tomorrow.
<quoted text>
Aww, man! Here in southern Oregon we're barely above freezing at high noon! No snow, but ice and frost everywhere. It looks like a winter picture out of National Geographic. Really pretty, but friggin' cold!
In that case, please don't hate me if I tell u it was 46 degrees Celsius here the other day. HOT, hot as the mythical Hades. U feel like bread in an oven!
:-)
I would prefer your winter.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#437084 Jan 21, 2013
Red Apples wrote:
<quoted text>
You said quote: "well we gave all the love that was needed to save him and you."
Do you really think you've shown any love at all to anyone? All you've done is spew out your venom and hate and done the exact opposite of what Jesus Christ did and taught. If you think for one second that God backs your actions in here than you are as delusional as they come. The only one you're bringing glory to is your misguided ego and satan who's playing you like a fiddle.
Oh and one more thing. If you knew the first thing about "salvation" (which you clearly don't) you would know that salvation comes only from God through Jesus Christ. And not from some nut job like you that stands behind your self made pulpit spewing out your self righteous religious hatred that in your delusional mind you call love.
If you think the sick and twisted thing you're calling love can save anybody (including yourself) than you're more delusional and lost than I thought. Believe me, the persons salvation you need to be worried about is your own. Because if you continue with the hate and venom you're spewing out God is going reject you so fast your head will spin.
Good morning, RA. Thanks for your attempt to stem the tide here.

But you know, we expected some of this. DoC would have expected some of this because with each death/accident/illness in a non-Christian's life that has been mentioned here, we have been bombarded with this kind of attitude from a few Christians.

For the most part, Christians and non-Christians alike liked DoC. Most Christians who have come here have left condolences and made a comment on what a nice guy DoC seemed to be. That's encouraging.

It's also encouraging that some Christians have tried to make the most vile of believers see that their hatred is not the way to bring people into Christianity or an understanding of the lessons Jesus taught. In fact, it shows that they definitely have no understanding of the teachings of Jesus. They should study them. There's a lot of good stuff in those teachings.

While I am no longer a Christian, I value many of those teachings more than many Christians do.

I have found that there are good and bad people in every walk of life. There are wonderful people who are Christians. I know many of them, some family and many friends. There are also really horrible people who claim Christianity. Thank goodness I have never met one in real life like the one to whom you addressed this post. I have to wonder if some of the people who are Christians are hiding their true feelings until they find a place like Topix where they can vent their frustrations and false understandings because they are too cowardly to do it in real life and know that the people with whom they share pews every time the doors of the church open would feel the same way those of us who left Christianity feel about them. It is harder to be chastised by your own than by those outside the faith, for some reason. I think that's why this thread is such a magnet to them. They know if they go to a Christian thread they'll get a lesson or two and be chastised. Therefore, being chastised by non-Christians seems to be a badge of honor.

Thank you and the others who have come here with positive behavior toward Christian behavior. Whether you know it or not, you are appreciated for your efforts and I personally see the true teachings of kindness toward others in your posts today.

Be blessed and happy. Hate and unhappiness are not the way to go. If we could all remember that 100% of the time, I don't think we'd be here on this earth. I think we would have fulfilled our mission. I think maybe DoC fulfilled his and is now at peace with the universe.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#437086 Jan 21, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
Oh. Almost fergot...
Le le from wsjlm sends his condolences.
TY Le le
from all
Don't remember if I answered this or not, but please give my 'thank you' to le le and I will send his/her message along with others today.

I hope that DoC's wife will find some comfort in the fact that he was loved/liked/admired by so many.

If I answer a post more than once, or skip over one today, it isn't because I've gone daffy. Well, daffier than normal. The roofers are here replacing the roof over the side of the house where my computer is. It sprung a leak during that 13 days of rain we had. UGH.
Rosa Winkel

Australia

#437087 Jan 21, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Hebrew history, not Jewish history. The Hebrews were originally polytheistic. By the time they formed Israel, Asherah was rejected and most traces removed from the temples.
How very interesting!
I've heard that Moses got his monotheistic ideas from the Egyptian pharaoh Akhenaton.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#437088 Jan 21, 2013
Rosa Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
In that case, please don't hate me if I tell u it was 46 degrees Celsius here the other day. HOT, hot as the mythical Hades. U feel like bread in an oven!
:-)
I would prefer your winter.
Extreme weather on either end of the thermometer is not my choice! I'd just as soon have 70F all year round. At least we have not had any really harsh weather so far this year. I went out to inspect what the roofers are doing and it is really a gorgeous day here though the temp is only 50F. I'm good with a sun-filled 50F day.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#437090 Jan 21, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Don't remember if I answered this or not, but please give my 'thank you' to le le and I will send his/her message along with others today.
I hope that DoC's wife will find some comfort in the fact that he was loved/liked/admired by so many.
If I answer a post more than once, or skip over one today, it isn't because I've gone daffy. Well, daffier than normal. The roofers are here replacing the roof over the side of the house where my computer is. It sprung a leak during that 13 days of rain we had. UGH.
You are a cyber trainwreck jist wait'n ta happen huh!? LOL!

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#437091 Jan 21, 2013
Rosa Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
How very interesting!
I've heard that Moses got his monotheistic ideas from the Egyptian pharaoh Akhenaton.
That probably played a part, but his wife was a greater influence. She brought with her the belief in the God whose name is translated now as Jehovah with her. Though Jehovah was certainly not unheard of before that, Moses was the first to declare him the One True God when asked. There were at least two other One True Gods in earlier texts of the Torah, the first of which was El (or Elohim, plural). The creator God was not a Creator God, but creator Gods (plural), per the account in Genesis. Not only is the plural of the title El used in Genesis, but it also states that Adam and Eve were made in 'our' likeness and image. I personally think that the creation of a male and female would have naturally included a female creator, but that's just a logical assumption.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#437092 Jan 21, 2013
Rosa Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
How very interesting!
That would be my thought.
Rosa Winkel

Australia

#437093 Jan 21, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Today is boiling hot, again, thanks NS :)
In Queensland, I always found the humidity so hard to take in summer.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#437094 Jan 21, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>Hi, Skombolis, good to hear from you. I know you came to Christ on these threads. I notice you are using a different Bible "perversion". I wasted many years using those texts. The King James Authorized is the best, especially for memorization. When the the Dead Sea scrolls were discovered, they matched word for word with the King James.(book of Isaiah).
Hello Dusty

I came to Christ well before Topix

As for which version of the Bible I use, I generally use the KJV as well or I like the NKJV and the NASB (which I used for that verse). I normally try to avoid the ESV or the NIV just because I think they sacrifice a little too much of the original wording to be understood easier. But it is a rarity I have come across a translation that significantly alters a meaning of a verse.

Normally what I find is people trying to use different translations hoping a technicality will allow them to rationalize not following it. "will this version says he ran at a fast pace but this other version says he ran at a brisk pace and brisk can mean cold and cold slows you down so he could have been running slowly". That is what I see as a perversion of the bible. People going to any lengths like going through translations to find one they can twist to their advantage while disregarding context. For the most part the end message is the same. Or someone simply doesn't know much about the bible but has a bias of other interpretations based on who they think follows them. If you have learned enough to spot differences then I glad to hear that. But do some research on the NASB, I think you will be pleasantly surprised

Good to see you too. It has been a while

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#437095 Jan 21, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>OMG!!!!! I will really miss him... a fun guy to post with... my heart hurts for his family... Clownie will give it a rest for a few days..
Thank you Clownie. And a break would be really nice of you.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#437096 Jan 21, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>This is a very nice post,Skom. I clipped part of it so I could respond.
As I looked over what had been said here in the last 24 hours, I realized that DoC would have had it no other way. He never censored anything on this thread he started.
He once said something to the effect that he could see that most Christians didn't have what they claimed to have, which is something better. He lived on the simple thought that being nice was better than going any other route. He was nice to people no matter what they said to them. Therefore, he lived much more closely to what Jesus taught than 99% of the Christians who have ever posted here.
I do feel sorry for those who can't follow the teachings of Jesus at a time when people are trying to remember the nice person he was and missing his wit and wisdom. That's not even to mention the wife and family he left behind.
I know for a fact that not a single Christian ever changed his mind about what he believed, but that he respected one or two who posted here at one time or another. Those few remained calm and kind just as he did. They didn't argue with him (or anyone else) or tell them constantly that they would go to hell. They especially did not use someone's death as a chance to spew their hate.
So DoC would be happy that this thread continues and that his ideas about Christians in general (though not in toto) was on the money.
Those who have been so vile have no clue that they are proving that people should not ever consider being Christian. They prove that Christianity has nothing at all better than what DoC or any other non-Christian has, not even the ugliest of non-Christians (and there are some of those too).
DoC saw the life as a beautiful thing to be treasured and a great part of that was because this world is populated with other human beings. He never answered hate with hate. He truly loved people in most cases much more than those who are under a commandment to do so.
So, because DoC would not have censored while he was living, he would not expect it to be so when he is no longer living.
I am, however, encouraged by the Christians who have spoken up on this matter and tried to get their fellow Christians to behave themselves just this once. It's a bright and shining star comparatively.
Thanks for your efforts and decency.
Good Morning W_N

I'm cutting that "morning" part close to the wire! But I agree that unfortunately it is not uncommon to see someone very outspoken of their perceived righteousness and salvation while acting in a manner very contrary to how Jesus taught. Obviously there is some schools of thoughts that differ on what this means depending if someone subscribes to once-saved or not.

I personally do not. Although to me it is even simpler than is this person who claims to be a Christian actually one and why does he act how he does and how can he justify it in the name of God and why do some who don't believe act in a way towards others more in tune with what Jesus taught? Not that those are not all valid and worthwhile questions. But to me I can almost put most of that on the back-burner for now.

Either someone can show respect and decency towards those who lost someone close to them or they can not. Either someone can recognize boundaries or they can not. What kind of Christian it makes him in this case is secondary to me to what kind of man it makes him and to me as Senacus alluded to earlier this says a lot about one's character. Sure as a Christian I hate to see it done in God's name. But as I made a post in the other room that for the most part people are people regardless of what they believe or what skin color they are or what their political affiliation or any other thing that divides us unnecessarily so IMO. I think it just boils down to some people are decent people and some people are not. From what I have seen this person falls into the latter category.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#437097 Jan 21, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
@ Senecus...John...Steve...Dusty and the others that have spoken up...
I would feel remiss if I didn't relay my gratitude to all of you that have spoken up to try and silence those that come to harass during our time here at WINLAC to remember a friend.
Those of us that have posted here for the last several years remember DoC as someone that showed restraint even when being attacked.
So as DoC told many...
Thank you for your input.
Ditto

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 6 min Buck Crick 100,591
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 16 min confrinting with ... 670,351
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 17 min Joe Fortuna 980,174
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 8 hr Sky Writer 31 184,288
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 11 hr Jehowa Witness 46,179
Treating others with respect 12 hr UnderstandPeople 14
Do any attractive cougars or milfs want to trad... (Dec '11) 14 hr Seejay 4
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) Wed Pegasus 286,455
More from around the web