Why I’m no longer a Christian

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#436854 Jan 20, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
That's true. So what are the non Christians afraid of?
War, famine, disease, unemployment, old age, disasters,economic collapse, cancer, etc.

Same thing any rational person would worry about.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#436855 Jan 20, 2013
Xyzhoturutsmail wrote:
<quoted text>Be afraid my sock be afraid. We will rid the word of all you non-Christians and give you a new home. It will always be hot, never cold, not snow, no rain, no long winters, it will be like hell. Wait, it will be "hell".
So you believe in the Teutonic religions and the wholly books by Dante and Milton.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#436856 Jan 20, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>we're not!!!! atheist should be afraid of dying
Why ?

You just called Jesus a liar:

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#436857 Jan 20, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
For those of you who knew and adored Dearth of Couth, please be with his wife and family in your thoughts today.
His wife contacted me about 10 minutes ago and told me he had a massive heart attack and died in his sleep last night.
His wit, wisdom and personality will be greatly missed by all who admired him.
I would appreciate it if no hateful remarks would be made, but I know there will be some who will show just how dark their hearts are. For those who care about him, it won't make any difference.
Please forward my condolences.

“SPEBSQSA”

Since: Aug 08

Maryland

#436858 Jan 20, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
For those of you who knew and adored Dearth of Couth, please be with his wife and family in your thoughts today.
His wife contacted me about 10 minutes ago and told me he had a massive heart attack and died in his sleep last night.
I would appreciate it if no hateful remarks would be made, but I know there will be some who will show just how dark their hearts are. For those who care about him, it won't make any difference.
That is so sad. He will be missed.
Please send our condolences to his wife.

“SPEBSQSA”

Maryland

#436859 Jan 20, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Well, good for him. If you're gonna go, go quick.
He was a unique individual on the boards. Always calm, always resolute, patient with the silliness that came his way continuously, well reasoned, well-spoken, with a quick wit, sharpened just enough to do the job. I admired his persona, and he influenced my approach after meeting him.
I'll lift a glass to him this evening at 6pm CST, and pour out one upon the earth to his name. Any and all feel free to join me if you wish.
I'll be glad to join you Hip.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#436860 Jan 20, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
Very sad.
He has the answers he was looking for now. Something or nothing. We can only guess.

Done here for a while in remembrance.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#436861 Jan 20, 2013
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll be glad to join you Hip.
And I too.
fafnir

Middlesboro, KY

#436862 Jan 20, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Buddhism though has become, like Christianity, far removed from the original philosophy and way of life taught by its founder.
nothing to excess

“People say I look like him! ”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#436863 Jan 20, 2013
DearthOfCouth,

Have you been able to deal okay with the majority of people who don't understand the intelligent and emotionally sound foundation for why you knew you had to leave and not return there?

Or has it been an uphill battle in that regard?

I'm curious to know.
Gun toting Anti-Christ

Denver, CO

#436864 Jan 20, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
Thank You and please pass on my sorrow to his wife...he will be missed.
Gun toting Anti-Christ

Denver, CO

#436865 Jan 20, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
And I too.
I will join in as well. For me it will be 4pm.
Gun toting Anti-Christ

Denver, CO

#436866 Jan 20, 2013
This is NorCal88 for those who may be wondering.

“SPEBSQSA”

Maryland

#436867 Jan 20, 2013
Gun toting Anti-Christ wrote:
This is NorCal88 for those who may be wondering.
Greetings from Northern Virginia NC, hope all is well.
Rosa Winkel

Australia

#436868 Jan 20, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> I have no objection to prayer when it is done with the intent of good toward another person.
When it is the intent of the person praying to bring one to their pov of religion, cause them or their family harm in order to get them to 'love' their God, etc, I object highly.
Intent for good, good wishes, etc are always welcome. Prayers for me to change into a mindless, dishonest sheep are not.
You'll never be a sheep! Because it takes someone with a mutton brain.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#436869 Jan 20, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
Thieves, scalawags, torturers, and knaves,
Fly-bys, hangers-on, Christers so enraged.
A corner of the Topix world,
With nary a Couth unfurled,
Disparate views never so engaged.

Dearth, you brought together so many who would have never had the opportunity to enlighten, mock, or anger each other. For this I pay you tribute. I have learned so much, have had my eyes opened to the amazing reality that is the mind of the addled, and the psychoses of those so inclined. I'd say, "Godspeed", but that would just be silly. You struck me as a true intellectual, one who could hear the "William Tell Overture" and not think of The Lone Ranger.

"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal." - Albert Pike
Rosa Winkel

Australia

#436870 Jan 20, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Fundie
The fundamentalists, also known as fundies or by their Latin classification Homo Phobius, are a subspecies of humanity distinguished by their phobia (simultaneous fear and hatred) of most people who differ from them in any way, based on their extreme religious conviction.
The threat of eternal physical torture in the mythical flaming demon zoo known as "Hell" is the fundies' primary method of insulting others. They base this conviction on millenia-old books of badly-written tribal customs, myths and genealogy which have been mistranslated many times by other fundies. In the case of the Muslim fundie, these books are contained in the Koran, while the Christian fundie worships the Bible.
The brain of the "Christian" fundie, while generally underdeveloped and often host of outlandish delusions, has a large capacity for memorization of Bible verses (or in the case of the Islamic fundie, Koran verses), often in the Shakespearian English of the King James Version, as this is less easily understood, and thus more easily twisted into the basic fundie message, which is "hate thy neighbor." Fundies, however, occasionally use the euphemism "love thy neighbor" (a rare example of non-literal fundie language) to convey the same idea.
Fundie dogma, along with what has already been mentioned, includes the concepts that differences between individuals, differences often so insignificant as to be unnoticeable without spying, should be the basis for undying hatred of those who possess any of these horrible differences, and for their condemnation to eternal Hellfire. This philosophy is also known as bigotry or douchebaggery. This is based on their occasional cursory reading of the above-mentioned texts combined with their lack of ability to understand the concepts of metaphor, sarcasm or any type of humor whatsoever. Often the fundie will not in fact read the "holy" texts, but will simply memorize the passages which other fundies recite. This is a common behavior pattern of the fundie, since, along with being often illiterate, they are incapable of logical thought, and thus cannot develop any individual opinions on the meaning of these texts.
A short list of those who are often considered by the fundie to be inferior follows:
-atheists
-agnostics
-Muslims according to Christian fundies, and Christians according to Muslim fundies
-HOMOSEXUALS (this is generally the most important enemy of the fundie)
-people who have sex before marriage
-people who are not white
-members of any cult other than that of the fundie in question
-immigrants
-liberals (in the sense of "Democrats" as well as the sense of people who think independently, and/or support any less strict form of government than theocratic fascism, and/or in any way support the concepts of peace, love, or tolerance, as espoused by the Christian fundie's supposed idol, Jesus Christ.)
-people who read or mention parts of the scriptures which endorse liberal blasphemies such as tolerance
-every subculture except their own (e.g. punks, Goths, both of which are known in fundie dialect as "Satanists")
-users of any mind-altering drug except pharmaceuticals and caffeine (and depending on the particular cult, tobacco and alcohol are sometimes accepted)
-married couples who do not always have sex in the missionary position
To be continued
All too true. LOLOL!

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#436871 Jan 20, 2013
July 3, 2008

"Why should you care in the slightest about my religious views?

I cannot possibly imagine.

Several people on topix, though, in the wake of various postings I’ve made on religious subjects, have asked me for an explanation of just how I arrived at my present agnosticism, or atheism, or whatever it is. So rather than answering these various people individually I’ve elected to start this forum and direct the interested parties here.

What follows is nothing more or less than a summary of my personal experiences as a Christian, related about as honestly as I know how to do it. I’m not hoping for contributions, followers, or enlightenment, and I don’t claim it to be momentous or universal or significant to anyone but me. But it is genuine."

Dearth of Couth

It attracted the heavy hitters WIP, X, and Hip in the first day. And by July 4th, the poster known as Philon, allegedly from Duram, NC, busted out the tired trope: "I think its quite clear that you were never a Christian." That didn't take long. On the same day, a poster named Tami, allegedly from Marietta, GA told him he was possessed by a demon. Hmmm, I wonder where the torture botherers were? Well, Thumper bestowed pity. Imagine that, as if being Thumper were somehow a prize.

Well, then the hate begins to ramp up. Still on Independence Day, a poster by the name of I Told You So, allegedly of Eden Prarie, MN (the irony), added this, "Why? Because only a fool says in his heart that is go G-d. And your mind and heart are in confict. Otherwise you wouldn't give a rat's ass to post all this. Grow up, little boy.:)" and this, "Aha! But I betcha most them them can write English a lot better than a fool like you.:) For starters, the word is "liars." Dickhead." The torture-botheres can't be far behind. Thumper follows up with "Spiritual Discernment" malarkey, of course. And then he opens the door with his save or not save nonsense. Any moment now...

Hmmm, a few more "Never were a Christian" types on the second day but still no torture threats. By July 6th, WIP was gone. By July 12th, the torture threats started. Christers don't disappoint.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#436872 Jan 20, 2013
Gun toting Anti-Christ wrote:
<quoted text>I will join in as well. For me it will be 4pm.
Cool.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#436873 Jan 20, 2013
Bigger Baby Jeebus wrote:
<quoted text>Thieves, scalawags, torturers, and knaves,
Fly-bys, hangers-on, Christers so enraged.
A corner of the Topix world,
With nary a Couth unfurled,
Disparate views never so engaged.
Dearth, you brought together so many who would have never had the opportunity to enlighten, mock, or anger each other. For this I pay you tribute. I have learned so much, have had my eyes opened to the amazing reality that is the mind of the addled, and the psychoses of those so inclined. I'd say, "Godspeed", but that would just be silly. You struck me as a true intellectual, one who could hear the "William Tell Overture" and not think of The Lone Ranger.
"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal." - Albert Pike
A nice tribute BBJ. You are right...a man that left us with "Why I Am No Longer A Christian" has brought together a group of people whose lives have been changed by knowing each other. We have become cyber friends...adversaries...and for some of us offline friends as well...all because DoC chose to share a bit of himself with us all.

I am forever grateful for what I have gained by being here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min Anthony MN 678,991
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 5 min UMORONRACEMAKEWOR... 119,069
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 8 min trump not racist 2,526
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 12 min Tony 6,265
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 hr curtjester1 46,211
Why does everyone claim that they are native am... (May '09) 3 hr Anonymous 28
Illegal to hoard or store extra food under USA ... (Jun '08) 4 hr Wanderer 27
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 hr _KENTUCKY 982,137
More from around the web