Why I’m no longer a Christian

“What do I know?”

Since: Apr 08

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#436712 Jan 19, 2013
ouroboros wrote:
<quoted text>most religions are based on fear and desire; thus desires and heaven/ecstasy are not the same for self vs other self. same idea with fear and hell/suffering. what one fears another might have no fear; thus hell is based on the concept of fear and avoidance and heaven is based on the idea of desire and attachment.
Behavioral psychologists claim that people will go to far greater lengths to avoid a bad outcome than they will to reach a good one.

Fear is a far greater motivator than hope.

The problem is, fear generates anger and hate. Which we've seen here.
Rosa Winkel

Australia

#436713 Jan 19, 2013
Bigger Baby Jeebus wrote:
<quoted text>He is a preacher, probably a youth pastor, and for that he should be incarcerated.
Yeah, that would be a big worry.
kundalini

Williamsburg, KY

#436714 Jan 19, 2013
DearthOfCouth wrote:
<quoted text>
I only ask because of the several atheists I can think of -- me included -- I don't think any of us has any fixed opinions on the subject. I personally suspect that when the lights go out, the lights just go out and that's the end. But we simply don't know.
(Didn't mean to get on your case. I get jumpy when people explain to me what I believe. That's a little what it felt like.)
didn't take it as you betting on my case. i learn as much from you folks than maybe most learn from me.. you're like a whetting stone upon which i sharpen self.

one only evolves through adversity/challenges.

i prefer to be challenged and learn something.

thanks!!!

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#436715 Jan 19, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>Great minds think alike. Unfortunately, so do many apocalyptic, paranoid lunatics.
Will you ever quit being stupid? Of course not!! you remind me of BOZO

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#436716 Jan 19, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not recall Mac asking you to redirect more of your flack towards me. At least that wasn't the impression that I took from his post.
While I appreciate Mac's words an apology from you that didn't come from your own volition is meaningless...
I tried.. I did my part and said sorry.. the rest is up to you..

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#436718 Jan 19, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Alas, we did not reach 80 today. In fact, by sunset, I might even need to stop being barefoot...
Can't afford shoes huh ??? You're poor

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#436719 Jan 19, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
OK. Dang cute.
Yeah, there are a lot of delusional chumps running around out there, falling for those sweet smellin' fine women like Annie. It's like watching a mule chasing a carrot hanging from a string that's attached to a stick tied to his head. Poor ol Chess the guy guy ain't gotta chance!

Clownie the makeout Master of Topix

THEY WANTS ME CHESS, THEY WANTS ME...
nachash

Williamsburg, KY

#436720 Jan 19, 2013
DearthOfCouth wrote:
<quoted text>
I only ask because of the several atheists I can think of -- me included -- I don't think any of us has any fixed opinions on the subject. I personally suspect that when the lights go out, the lights just go out and that's the end. But we simply don't know.
(Didn't mean to get on your case. I get jumpy when people explain to me what I believe. That's a little what it felt like.)
i didn't take offense.

i have enjoyed the discourse over the years with one and all. i have honed my understanding solely by the challenges presented to me by questioning/doubting people like yourself.

i'm grateful for the doubt/questioning. never accept anything on the sole belief of anyone else until it makes sense to self.

i'm the doubting thomas, myself

namaste

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#436721 Jan 19, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>I tried.. I did my part and said sorry.. the rest is up to you..
I never saw a post where you said that you were sorry. I did see a post that said you would redirect your flack toward me. That you would so because Mac asked you to.

You do realize that redirecting your flack toward me is different from redirecting your flack away from me...don't you?

That being said...there was no apology in that post.
Huh

Dallas, TX

#436722 Jan 19, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>
Will you ever quit being stupid? Of course not!! you remind me of BOZO
Put the mirror down, you apocalyptic, paranoid lunatic.
Huh

Dallas, TX

#436723 Jan 19, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
maybe fundamantalist are, but normal folks like me just hate seeing our society pandor to a bunch of homo sex-monkeys;)
Homophobia:

The fear that gay men are going to treat you the way you treat women and that a lesbian will treat your woman better than you do.

Just admit you are 50 shades of gay and move on.
Huh

Dallas, TX

#436724 Jan 19, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, there are a lot of delusional chumps running around out there, falling for those sweet smellin' fine women like Annie. It's like watching a mule chasing a carrot hanging from a string that's attached to a stick tied to his head. Poor ol Chess the guy guy ain't gotta chance!
Clownie the makeout Master of Topix
Since Sept. 07, and you haven't grown or become a better person in over five years.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#436725 Jan 19, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>....
Wanting you to go away is not the same as wanting you, clown.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#436726 Jan 19, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>Since Sept. 07, and you haven't grown or become a better person in over five years.
I've been on Topix going on six years and I haven't lost any credibility yet. But, if I am losing credibility with you ... it would be like the universe losing a asteroid on the far side of planet Nimrod, in a galaxy, far, far, away! ya hear

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#436727 Jan 19, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Wanting you to go away is not the same as wanting you, clown.
Im a good looking man... SMOKIN HOT

I bet you look like Fred Mertz.... LOL

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#436728 Jan 19, 2013
DearthOfCouth wrote:
<quoted text>Behavioral psychologists claim that people will go to far greater lengths to avoid a bad outcome than they will to reach a good one.

Fear is a far greater motivator than hope.

The problem is, fear generates anger and hate. Which we've seen here.
That's true. So what are the non Christians afraid of?

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#436729 Jan 19, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL......Touche'.........

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#436730 Jan 19, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Darned if I know. What is the worst anyone could do? Take yer birthday away?

Since: Mar 10

Trussville, Alabama

#436731 Jan 19, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>Since Sept. 07, and you haven't grown or become a better person in over five years.
If anything, Christian fundamentalists show a propensity to regress.

Since: Mar 10

Trussville, Alabama

#436732 Jan 19, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Christian fundamentalists with automatic weapons

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min June VanDerMark 599,345
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 16 min It aint necessari... 863,716
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 17 min curtjester1 40,849
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 21 min Great Day of Arma... 612,891
The Christian Atheist debate 23 min Verde Building So... 1,908
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 29 min dollarsbill 6,355
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 1 hr Classic 2,766
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr Charlie Sheen 272,400
More from around the web