Why I’m no longer a Christian

Since: Mar 10

Trussville, Alabama

#436327 Jan 17, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>I thought you was gay... now I know
Clownie rolls eyes
Is Christianity synonymous with homosexuality?

Since: Mar 10

Trussville, Alabama

#436328 Jan 17, 2013
yournuts wrote:
<quoted text>
Your so messed up no one could not say anything worse than what you are!!!! Thanks for playing you FAIL!!!!!!!!
You know what's an even bigger fail? Your sentence actually means the opposite of what you think it does.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#436330 Jan 17, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
John isn't there, there are no men at all. Read it carefully. Mary Magdelene is the "disciple Jesus loved".
Huh? Can't be:

26 When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy *son*!

27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto *his* own home.

"Son" and "his" (translated from Greek, granted) indicate a male, and by reference John.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#436331 Jan 17, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> Why would Jesus have had a need to inform his mother that he was her son?
I realize that everyone interprets the Bible differently. I have no doubt if half a dozen people read that each of them would interpret it differently. But I still don't understand why Jesus would have had to announce himself as her son. None of my sons has ever said,'Woman, look. Here is your son.' They say 'Hi, Mom'.
You will occassionally see this proposed by people trying to import alternate christologies into GoJohn. I see it mostly from folks reading books or watching Youtube videos about the ideas rather than actually reading the text.

The important thing to note, IMO, is what the text actually says. Creating ideas based on what the text does not say may be fun but it is irrelavent for determining what the text says. Interpretations that ignore what the text says are not interpretations of the text. That is eisegesis.

But you will see this red herring thrown out regularly.

In understanding any text, the first question to ask should always be; what does the text say?

If the text doesn't say it, it's not what the text says. It is very simple.

Folks are free to speculate all they like, but it does not change what the text says.

San Francisco

#436332 Jan 17, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>Kitten is a man.. And I've been working up the nerve to ask her out.
Will Jesus still accept you if you turn gay, Clownie?

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#436333 Jan 17, 2013
p-o-p quiz wrote:
<quoted text>Is Christianity synonymous with homosexuality?
nah your post picture is

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#436334 Jan 17, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Will Jesus still accept you if you turn gay, Clownie?
Jesus will accept you wilderide...

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#436335 Jan 17, 2013
yournuts wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't need to do that. Mother nature beat me to the punch there MAN!!!! Your so messed up no one could not say anything worse than what you are!!!! Thanks for playing you FAIL!!!!!!!!
Still waiting for those insults, are you taking a break or something? I mean, I'm seeing words on the screen but they don't seem to make any sense. Is there some English there?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#436336 Jan 17, 2013
p-o-p quiz wrote:
<quoted text>From no punctuation to punctuation abuse......You should reread your post. You write as though you are 14. Seriously.
I think you grant him too much credit. I was thinking more along the age ot maybe 7 years, he can't be more than 10.

San Francisco

#436337 Jan 17, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus will accept you wilderide...
That's nice, but judging by who else claims to be Jesus fans, I'm not at all anxious to spend eternity with them. Maybe if Jesus included those who deserved to be members based on their character and treatment of others, instead of fawning sycophants, then I might be more inclined.

San Francisco

#436338 Jan 17, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>nah your post picture is
Have you forgotten what your avatar is? Hello?

Since: Jul 08

Bronx, NY

#436343 Jan 17, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus will accept you wilderide...
No he won't; he's dead.

Might maybe the historical Jesus would have.

You on the other hand?

I doubt the historical Jesus suffered fools gladly.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#436344 Jan 17, 2013
Proxysan wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude!
No, I <really> mean, "dude"!
Aw, I'm being too nice to you and you still can't get it up. How sad.

Here's a bit of help:

I'm an asexual goth. There, now you should be able to come up with something interesting, or hopefully at least funny, since you completely fail at coming up with insults. Just don't bother with the Hot Topic jokes, those are redundant.

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#436345 Jan 17, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Please define sin.
The Biblical definition is basically missing the mark. The Hebrew word relates to archery and not hitting the bulls-eye.

#436346 Jan 17, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Just think: a God who is a Peeping Tom, watching all of creation having sex. That should ruin it for ya. I wonder, according to that statement, if he's looking for tips on how to have great sex, or if he's just making his list of who's been good or bad. Hard to know.
If someone really believes that a God is interested in their sex life, they should find another God.
Ah, but what if entry into Heaven is based on traits like being a considerate lover?
;)

Since: Jul 08

Bronx, NY

#436347 Jan 17, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
The Biblical definition is basically missing the mark. The Hebrew word relates to archery and not hitting the bulls-eye.
Which bible, what key passage(s), and what mark?

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#436348 Jan 17, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
You will occassionally see this proposed by people trying to import alternate christologies into GoJohn. I see it mostly from folks reading books or watching Youtube videos about the ideas rather than actually reading the text.

The important thing to note, IMO, is what the text actually says. Creating ideas based on what the text does not say may be fun but it is irrelavent for determining what the text says. Interpretations that ignore what the text says are not interpretations of the text. That is eisegesis.

But you will see this red herring thrown out regularly.
In understanding any text, the first question to ask should always be; what does the text say?

If the text doesn't say it, it's not what the text says. It is very simple.

Folks are free to speculate all they like, but it does not change what the text says.
There it is. Apologists like to try and have it both ways, as in all things Biblical. If they like what it plainly says, they appeal to the literal; if they don't, they appeal to the "spiritual".

TIM958 once introduced me to the Golden Rule of Interpretation, "When the plain sense make common sense, seek no other sense." I thought that was a mighty fine rule.

As I repeated it back to him again and again, in one discussion after another, he soon came to regret it, methinks....

#436349 Jan 17, 2013
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
That is just it. How can someone keep score, if they don’t even know what gives a point - or how many points? I am saying that in my opinion a sin is a sin, because how would I honestly know what the outcome is? For me it is trusting in God to work it all out. If a man kills someone in self defense, is he going to be judged in the same manner as a criminal that kills an innocent bystander?(one example of hundreds of thousands that one can come up with) How would I honestly know that? Many Christians are all about self defense and standing up for themselves, but is that what the Bible really says….I don’t have the time to sit and try to figure out what everyone else is doing wrong in their life, and trying to come up with what I think God will do in the end. I would much rather focus on how I effect my slice of the world, and if I believe I am following Gods message to the best of my abilities.
I grew up in a household with parents that often said “God gave you a brain, use it”. If I had questions, we opened the Bible and discussed them together - they would not simply give me answers. I can not understand the Dusty’s of the world…I simply can’t fathom how some come to the conclusions they do. When I first started posting on topix, I thought a large amount of the Christians on here were non-Christians playing some sort of game….slowly after time I realized.
I am not saying that I am right in how I believe. Dusty might very well be right, but my intent is good. If God is what I believe him to be, he would take that into account. I try to constantly grow in my understanding, and have come to the conclusion that others do not wish to do so. I have no issue with that, and if they take issue with me that is fine….I like the path I am on personally.
<quoted text>
Thank you for the discussion AnniJ, its always a pleasure. If you ever want to ask me anything, feel free.
If you want to claim to worship the God of the Bible, then you could try using the standards that the Bible mentions. Killing in self defense is not murder. Killing in war is not murder. Accidentally killing someone is not murder, although it is a problem. Only murder is murder.

And the Bible clearly says that different sins are treated differently. If you accidentally touch a dead person, you are unclean until you ritually bathe and stay out of town until after sundown. Same for the sin of eating shrimp. Blasphemy,(such as worshiping Jesus or any other false gods) however, carries the death penalty.

#436350 Jan 17, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
No men other that Jesus. Jesus says to his mother "Here is your son" refering to himself.
If "John" had been there the Romans would have nailed his ass to a cross, too.
That is why "the men were watching from afar."
No, that doesn't work. Read the whole passage in context. Note the parallel construction. Jesus referred to a man, a son in law, to his mother. Of course, there very next verse shows this:

John 19:27 ...And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own [home].

...unto >>>HIS<<< own home.

#436352 Jan 17, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> The temperature here is dropping like a rock. Thank goodness I am not in the snow forecast. Just wind and colder temps. But it will warm up to about 50 tomorrow.
(psst... we might hit the 80's tomorrow...)

:P

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
my cousin touches me when i am asleep and i kin... (Mar '14) 4 min anonymous 43
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 14 min RiversideRedneck 49,438
i need a man to get me pregnant no strings atta... (Dec '12) 1 hr Breedu 69
Illegal to hoard or store extra food under USA ... (Jun '08) 1 hr Darkbolt500 22
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Annaleigh 105,683
Maturbating now 1 hr Johny 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr truth 646,943
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr The Hangman 971,805
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 4 hr WasteWater 27
More from around the web