Why I’m no longer a Christian

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#435723 Jan 15, 2013
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
The conversation starts at the below link, and you said yourself that you would answer my question - if I answered yours. Are you saying that you never intended to answer my question?
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TSHQAVD...
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I find it interesting (as well as odd) that your two posts above, reminded of this scene in Clash of the Titans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =-6eVxccWohUXX
It has been a while since I attended a class on Greek mythology. I guess need a refresher course to understand why I personally read a link between what you wrote and this movie based on Greek mythology. <<shrugs>>
<quoted text>
Few quick questions then, if I may?
The scripture you gave, did the text predate Greek mythology?(old or new testament if you will)
If the scripture you posted came after Greek mythology, how was Greek mythology based on the scripture that you posted?
<quoted text>
My answer to your question is found here:
And says:
How interesting….I always thought a conversation followed along the lines of - Statement made, another asks the person making the statement a question, the person answers the question - then follow’s up with their own question…<<shrugs> >
While I would stand more along the ideas that Dietrich Bonheoffer held, I would not have agreed with his idea of trying to take it upon myself to assassinate Hitler. In other words, I do not think I would have been a member of either Church. I find it interesting that you asked me this question though. I have always thought that looking back on the Third Reich and the Holocaust, is a good way to remember that we as individuals must look into what our Church leaders are telling us. I do not believe that they were being “wishy washy” as you put it. I think they were listening to their pastors and not questioning, in other words - they thought that they were doing right by God. If you think that it was just a Lutheran issue, and that this type of thing could never happen again, I believe that you are sadly mistaken. By the way, did you know that Dietrich was an Ordained Lutheran Pastor?
Wasssup's style is to pt his fingers in his ears, cover his eyes, stomp his feet, do the chicken dance, and then peek to see if anyone is exposing cleavage.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#435724 Jan 15, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
but still you come here to get your wsssuuup fix so you don't jones the whole day;)
You encompass comedy and tragedy in one lonesome, perverted package. Like a train wreck.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#435725 Jan 15, 2013
Bigger Baby Jeebus wrote:
<quoted text>How could a fundamentalist be intellectually or even just plain honest? There is an unassailable, inherent, inescapable dichotomy between honesty and abject faith. They can not co-exist. Fingers in ears, hands over eyes, feet-stomping, and chicken dancing prevail.
Yep. And great big dollops of cognitive dissonance.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#435726 Jan 15, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
but still you come here to get your wsssuuup fix so you don't jones the whole day;)
You are one of Kaitlin's favorite chew-toys!

“Are you a Problem or Solution?”

Since: Mar 09

Ann Arbor, MI

#435727 Jan 15, 2013
<quoted text>Wasssup's style is to pt his fingers in his ears, cover his eyes, stomp his feet, do the chicken dance, and then peek to see if anyone is exposing cleavage.
‘Chuckle…I was just trying to give him the chance to make good on what he had said.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#435728 Jan 15, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
[email protected] god will punish those who thank you for making a fool of your god and yourseelf.
Again. I thank you.
do you have a really large head to match that magnificent brain of yours?:)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#435729 Jan 15, 2013
<quoted text>Are all fundamentalist preachers sex-depraved, ignorant, lying charlatans like you?
are all anticristers big babies like you?:)

“IMAGINE no religion!”

Since: Feb 09

usa

#435730 Jan 15, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> Good idea.
After a couple of years of being told that we were going to hell (in a handbasket), I decided to invent a handbasket for us all to take the trip. But the trip turned out not to be to hell, and turned into joyous occasions when all the non-Christians (and one or two people like NS) go on excursions to places we'd like to see. We always carry a picnic lunch and have copious amounts of chocolate on hand.
Over the years I have upgraded the basket so that we can fly or sail to any place on earth. I have also added a fridge, a small spa and several other conveniences to keep us all happy, comfy and in good health and spirits.
The fundies have followed screaming 'Why aren't you in hell yet?!!!' but we just speed up and laugh our way along the paths we follow, ignoring any negative things that they may scream at us.
They sit very disgruntled (and without picnic supplies) as we sit with our checkered cloth on the ground or a picnic table in a park, and wait to see where we're going next. I think they secretly enjoy the laughter and beauty we share with each other, but they never join in.
If you are one of those who either doesn't believe, believes but keeps it to yourself and don't preach, tell me you'd like to go on the trip in May. Our trip this time is to Stone Henge and Avebury. There is a dance at midnight in the center of the Henge. You can dance naked if you like as there will be no one to judge you. I personally will not be dancing naked in front of people, as at 66 I feel it is a detriment to the eyes of others for me to do so.
please put my name on the list. and my +1!!!!!!!!!!

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#435731 Jan 15, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet you are constantly attempting to prove your religion is valid. Do you lack faith in your god and just enjoy using it as a hollow threat? I'd wager that's the case. If you did have faith in your god, you'd not ever use anything based on evolution, that means all medical science, or pretty much any scientific study at all, such as computers. You would certainly not be trying to tell everyone what your god is thinking, if you had faith.
the only 'science' i don't like is the anticrister kind. what's so hard for you to understand about that?:)

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#435732 Jan 15, 2013
<quoted text>Is it trying to disprove an existence of a god or gods or trying to explain why belief is so pervasive?
It is an open ended investigation without preconceptions. Just like science should be.

It does not presume existence or nonexistence of God. It may reveal brain biology that causes 'illusions' or a whole new sensory method that reveals a previously unknown dimension. No one "knows" yet.

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#435733 Jan 15, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
The clay will always just remain a piece of clay...without the potter. That is fine if that is all the clay aspires to be. However for it to become a work of art...an object of value...the potter is needed.
It is all in how you look at it I suppose.
Down in Louisiana, crayfish take clay and build homes - chimneys, they are called by the locals. If they are fired in a kiln, they can be sold as if they were works of art, yet no potter worked that clay, only a dumb animal...

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#435734 Jan 15, 2013
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
The conversation starts at the below link, and you said yourself that you would answer my question - if I answered yours. Are you saying that you never intended to answer my question?
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I find it interesting (as well as odd) that your two posts above, reminded of this scene in Clash of the Titans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =-6eVxccWohUXX
It has been a while since I attended a class on Greek mythology. I guess need a refresher course to understand why I personally read a link between what you wrote and this movie based on Greek mythology. <<shrugs>>
<quoted text>
Few quick questions then, if I may?
The scripture you gave, did the text predate Greek mythology?(old or new testament if you will)
If the scripture you posted came after Greek mythology, how was Greek mythology based on the scripture that you posted?
<quoted text>
My answer to your question is found here:
And says:
How interesting….I always thought a conversation followed along the lines of - Statement made, another asks the person making the statement a question, the person answers the question - then follow’s up with their own question…<<shrugs> >
While I would stand more along the ideas that Dietrich Bonheoffer held, I would not have agreed with his idea of trying to take it upon myself to assassinate Hitler. In other words, I do not think I would have been a member of either Church. I find it interesting that you asked me this question though. I have always thought that looking back on the Third Reich and the Holocaust, is a good way to remember that we as individuals must look into what our Church leaders are telling us. I do not believe that they were being “wishy washy” as you put it. I think they were listening to their pastors and not questioning, in other words - they thought that they were doing right by God. If you think that it was just a Lutheran issue, and that this type of thing could never happen again, I believe that you are sadly mistaken. By the way, did you know that Dietrich was an Ordained Lutheran Pastor?
thank you for the answer!
my point in asking the question about boneheofer and germany is that i think a similar thing IS happening today in the american church. we have some that won't stand up for anything. i do know that bonhofer was a lutheran theologian/pastor, but he obviously had a different spirit from the status quo.

YOU WOULDN'T HAVE STOOD WITH BONHOEFERS CONFESSING CHURCH AND YOU ADMIT IT?!?! i rest my case....

if you're asking about the potter/clay scripture; i quoted from paul-the new testament, but he was drawing from jeremiah's vision from the old testament which predated greek mythology.

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#435735 Jan 15, 2013
Johnk32 wrote:
To be fair, the fruits of religion speak for themselves... wars, genocides, prejudice,'the systematic fucking of children!'(the catholic church) abusing children in general by making them believe that if they are bad they will spend eternity in a place of eternal torture.
Now the fruits of science... increasing life expectancy 100%(from around 40 to 80) medicines and vaccines, electricity that we all evidently use daily, the internet, computers, cars, planes, trains, light bulbs, an understanding of the world around us past simply being superstitious about everything.
also this is just a side note, why does god demand the execution of people who commit imaginary crimes? like witch craft! we know that witches do not exist and yet god himself says 'thou shalt not suffer a witch to live' why does the creator of the universe know less than we humans do?
Minor point, but the verse in question actually refers to poisoners, specifically poisoners of wells - a VERY serious crime in a desert region. It was deliberately mistranslated at the orders of King James because he had such a great fear of being killed by witchcraft.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#435736 Jan 15, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. And I highly recommend a few glasses of nice Cabernet for those who can distinguish between the two, and prefer not to.
I could relate an experience with mescaline that was the most enlightening insight into reality I ever had. But that, as they say, is another story.

It involved a cobra. Quite Buddhesque.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#435737 Jan 15, 2013
<quoted text>Dear Ywhw,
On January 15, 2013 I mocked a sex-depraved preacher who claims to speak for you and sometimes claims to be you on an Internet forum. There is no charge for this service, as I am not a religious man.
Sincerely,
Bigger Baby Jeebus
Dear Bigger Baby Jeebus,
Yes, that Lebanese Loon has been written out of The Book of Life. I'll make sure that he gets a front row seat on the shore front of the Lake of Fire. Stop in and see me sometime when you get around these parts. I dig the way you handle those vipers.
With conditional love,
YWHW
so what's your marilyn manson aka "sum quisters made fun of my sunday school picture so i'm mad at god" story?:)

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#435738 Jan 15, 2013
<quoted text>I know what the article says. I linked to it. I did not write that it spoke directly to your non-issue, I wrote it was interesting in relation to it. What is the point of your post?

You bemoaned that posters are perceived in certain ways here. I advised you to approach with honesty and tact. I see my advice was lost. So be it.

Your contention is ridiculous, by the way. Name one scientist who is actively using materialistic naturalism to disprove a god or gods. I'll be waiting at the bar.
So, are you saying Scientific research about God is a non issue? You seem to be changing my words, I said to you that my contention is that both secular and Christian Scientists are still debating, discussing and researching God's existence or lack thereof, in almost all branches of Science. What's interesting here is that Atheists who possess knowledge of Science, don't dispute this, and two words typed into any search engine in the world (there's a big world out there) would give ample evidence of this non issue, pages and pages to pick and choose from. As for 'tact' I've tried that, honesty, I do that too, I made a mistake once, regarding something I wasn't aware of because I don't normally live in forums. Some I won't bother to take seriously after failed attempts, much like I seem to be failing right now. My crime, in simply coming in here (a thread in a public International forum) and talking to Doc, is that I am a Christian. Something most Atheists (not trolls) in various threads and the real world, won't hold against me once they talk to me rationally, they also don't attack solely on that premise. You say you're exposing the dark underbelly of religion 'in America', I say I'm not American nor do I live there, and then you tell me that's irrelevant. Do you have a rational or logical reason for that? Or did you just decide to judge and mock me on sight? Are you one of those predictable bullies and/or trolls, who parrots all the same lines and strawman techniques designed to intimidate children (teens are children to me)?(there are several 'manuals' for that classic online behaviour) Or are you a rational human being who is capable of fair and honest discussion/debate? Just wondering.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#435739 Jan 15, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
We would settle for you answering at least 1 out of every ten...a hundred...oh...okay...one out of two hundred.
who's "we" Annie? are you uniting as one against me?:)

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#435740 Jan 15, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i don't give a rats ass what you think of me or religion. you're gonna hafta give an account of your life to God tho and on that day you won't seem like such a smarty pants;)
Christianity: The religion of empty threats.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#435741 Jan 15, 2013
<quoted text>Thanks for your honesty. I understand why you are reviled by fundamentalists.
Not by all.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#435743 Jan 15, 2013
<quoted text>I thought Phil Collins stole Genesis from Peter Gabriel.
Sadly, he took the 'gated snare' effect with him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 min Sky Writer 31 183,628
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min truth 667,933
London TV viewers fixed on trump Inaugural process 6 min Mr About Town 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min Rider on the Storm 979,452
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 10 min Chess Jurist 92,709
Everyone is a fool 57 min Truthiness 4
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr crucifiedguy 286,073
More from around the web