“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#435460 Jan 14, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
can you name one that began prior to 'in the beginning'?
the first false religion that i know of began when adam & eve put on fig leaves (first pagan costume) & attempted to hide from God.
There are many mythologies which predate the Jews. Try reading the Epic of Gilgamesh for starters. The Jews did, and incorporated parts of it into their own myths. In fact, that was back when Jews were still polytheistic.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#435461 Jan 14, 2013
it's really kinda fun coming to this hornets nest and giving y'all something to swarm over for weeks!

you don't hafta thank me for keeping this thread alive, i know that you secretly appreciate me for it;)

San Francisco

#435462 Jan 14, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> You will not get an answer. Rather, you will get more circle dances and condemnations with a large dose of 'I'm the great teacher'. Bah, humbug.
Oh I know that. I gave up on having a rational conversation with that one a long time ago. Now I just use to keep in practice.

San Francisco

#435463 Jan 14, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF is it that you believe, AGAIN?
That's the problem with religion: there is no objective proof, and thus one is as good as another. Problematic, no?

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#435464 Jan 14, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
There isn't much to figure out there. The created shall not say to the creator that the latter isn't necessary. However, have you considered the possibility that a deity could create you yet not be dependent on your belief in it? Indeed, it's rather illogical that an omnipotent deity *would* care whether you did or not.
of course i'm aware that God is not dependent upon me or my belief in Him. BUT what kind of relationship could we have if it wasn't based on belief/trust? you see, unbelief in the obvious is merely an obstinant denial because of an offense that's coming between 2 individuals. i.e., the angry wife says to the husband "i'm going to pretend you're not there and just ignore you".

because of Jesus' finished work on the cross, there is NOTHING in the way between you and God the Father. why are you acting in unbelief as tho there were???

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#435465 Jan 14, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
There are many mythologies which predate the Jews. Try reading the Epic of Gilgamesh for starters. The Jews did, and incorporated parts of it into their own myths. In fact, that was back when Jews were still polytheistic.
umm, Bible history predates the jews. abraham was not a jew and you can read all about his heritage from he to noah and from noah to adam.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#435466 Jan 14, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the problem with religion: there is no objective proof, and thus one is as good as another. Problematic, no?
it's really pretty easy to figure out which is the true God; just listen for the Name that's blasphemed by the fallen/hating world!

San Francisco

#435467 Jan 14, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
of course i'm aware that God is not dependent upon me or my belief in Him. BUT what kind of relationship could we have if it wasn't based on belief/trust?
A relationship based largely on fact would be alot stronger. I guess your God just likes to play head-games.
you see, unbelief in the obvious is merely an obstinant denial because of an offense that's coming between 2 individuals.
If it's so obvious, why does most of the world not see it? For that matter, why do Christians spend so much time bickering with each other?
i.e., the angry wife says to the husband "i'm going to pretend you're not there and just ignore you".
because of Jesus' finished work on the cross, there is NOTHING in the way between you and God the Father. why are you acting in unbelief as tho there were???
Well, as I've said before, if Jesus already paid my debt, then I have no further responsibility to it.

San Francisco

#435468 Jan 14, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
umm, Bible history predates the jews. abraham was not a jew and you can read all about his heritage from he to noah and from noah to adam.
The Bible tells a story of a time before it was written, but the fact remains that much of it's mythology was borrowed from neighboring cultures which predated it.

San Francisco

#435469 Jan 14, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
it's really pretty easy to figure out which is the true God; just listen for the Name that's blasphemed by the fallen/hating world!
You mean like the way you reject every god except one?

Congratulations Waaas, you just became the biggest polytheist in history! LOL.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#435470 Jan 14, 2013
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the link X. Little bits that caught my attention:
Christianity’s focus has long been about ushering in God’s kingdom “on Earth, not just in heaven,” Borg says.
“Christianity’s goal is not to escape from this world. It loves this world and seeks to change it for the better,” he writes.
“When Christians develop their own private language for one another, they forget how Jesus made faith accessible to ordinary people, he says.
“Speaking Christian can become a way of suggesting a kind of spiritual status that others don’t have,” he says.“It communicates a kind of spiritual elitism that holds the spiritually ‘unwashed’ at arm’s length."
By that time, they’ve reached the final stage of speaking Christian - they've become spiritual snobs.”
I think I am going to pick this one up, sounds very interesting.
I have read a couple of Marcus Borg's books. I would say that anything with his name on it will likely be a good read.

Now he'll put you to sleep listening to him speak because he talks in a monotone voice with little emotional inflection. But if you can stay awake, you can learn some good stuff.

Beuller. Beuller. Beuller

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#435471 Jan 14, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, you mean the unsubstantiated portion of the "history" that the bible asserts? Yeah, read it, but I have found a hundred more sources that contradict it ... so meh.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#435472 Jan 14, 2013
Crazy apocalyptics, having no idea what the scripture they quote-mine actually references.
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
...when so-called 'peace' is made in the world, but God is kicked out of its ideology...
Puny god.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#435473 Jan 14, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i'll answer your question if you answer mine:
in retrospect, who do you think were the more effective Christians in germany circa 30's - 40's; the wishy washy hand-wringing lutherans who thought their vocation was to smile and be friendly and who were afraid to speak-out when the nazi party was developing - or, the confessing church led by deitrich bonehoefer, who's members became opposed by the lutherans, persecuted, imprisoned and killed by the nazis???
What did Deitrich Bonehoefer's resistance to Nazi's change? What did Christianity change at all for the Jews who were killed?

You're reading books that gloify a man for his anti-Nazi stance, when it did nothing to change anything. It's just another book of apologetics written by another Christian to draw you in without thinking.

He was hung by the Nazis for his views.

While it is honorable to take a stand against the Nazis or any force like them, it doesn't mean that he made a change. He didn't. So his stance did no more good than those you call 'wishy-washy, hand-wringing liberals', as you indicate NS is by your post.

She is far from wishy-washy. I've never once seen her as a hand-wringing type of person, though I have seen you and your fundie brotherhood in that light. If by liberal, you mean following the teachings of Jesus and never losing her faith while being called names by those of her own belief system, then I'd have to say that would be right on target.

Congratulations. One thing right in a post of yours is almost unimaginable, but there it is.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#435474 Jan 14, 2013
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I find it interesting (as well as odd) that your two posts above, reminded of this scene in Clash of the Titans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =-6eVxccWohUXX
It has been a while since I attended a class on Greek mythology. I guess need a refresher course to understand why I personally read a link between what you wrote and this movie based on Greek mythology. <<shrugs>>
It's all Greek to me. Apocalypticism has its roots in Hellenistic thought.

Good catch.

Clash and Wrath were both good flicks.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#435475 Jan 14, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i'll answer your question if you answer mine:
in retrospect, who do you think were the more effective Christians in germany circa 30's - 40's; the wishy washy hand-wringing lutherans who thought their vocation was to smile and be friendly and who were afraid to speak-out when the nazi party was developing - or, the confessing church led by deitrich bonehoefer, who's members became opposed by the lutherans, persecuted, imprisoned and killed by the nazis???
By the way, you never answer questions. I've seen you tell other people before that you would answer their question if they answered yours first, but never follow up on your promise to do so. Your promises are worthless. You do this questioning thing because you have no answers and use it as a diversion hoping the person will forget the question they asked you after they answer your question.

You yourself are as worthless a piece of human flesh as has ever darkened the hallowed halls of WINLAC.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#435476 Jan 14, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
So Zeus is the true god, got it.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#435477 Jan 14, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
all false religions/mythologies conatin some truthfull analogies based from the bible. what's so hard about this to understand???
LOL *snort*

The ignorance of Christianity is always entertaining.

Doink

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#435478 Jan 14, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
you're gonna hafta answer to God for His use of this analogy since He's the One who gave it to jeremiah to explain it to the children of israel....
I will gladly answer for anything I say if it ever comes to pass that I should have to. I'm not worried one little bit.

I noticed you didn't give a different explanation in rebuttal. I assume that's because you don't have any understanding of the teaching. You could always prove me wrong and show me that you understand the underlying teaching of the words you copied from that verse.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#435479 Jan 14, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
of course i'm aware that God is not dependent upon me or my belief in Him. BUT what kind of relationship could we have if it wasn't based on belief/trust? you see, unbelief in the obvious is merely an obstinant denial because of an offense that's coming between 2 individuals. i.e., the angry wife says to the husband "i'm going to pretend you're not there and just ignore you".
So, you admit that God does not need your belief but you need it in order to have a 'relationship' with a supernatural being. Good. That's a start on the road to sanity.

If everything is finished, why do you still believe that Armageddon will end it? You don't think things through to their logical end, do you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 10 min Dr_Zorderz 259,609
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 12 min Rosa_Winkel 227,671
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 24 min marge 542,856
Last Post Wins !!! [ game time :) ] (Jan '11) 27 min Bev Jamison 2,415
Beauty comes in many COLORS 31 min Doctor REALITY 5
Sarah Palin look alike 34 min Bev Jamison 2
Louie Farrakahn leading millions straight to hell. 36 min Doctor REALITY 17
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 36 min HipGnosis 173,727
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 54 min Aura Mytha 739,755
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 5 hr ms simmer 153

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••