|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
"shall the lump of clay say to the Potter "i have no need of you""?
whatcha think this whole life is all about, if not being a member of the family of God? why should our Creator tolerate insolent enemies of His plans & purposes???
Your deities are lumps of clay.

I prefer the real God of the Universe.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Bukki Marshall wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound such a nice lady you do. PWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA, NOT.
Hello, Andrew.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
whatcha think this whole life is all about, if not being a member of the family of God? why should our Creator tolerate insolent enemies of His plans & purposes???
God didn't create it's own enemies, and/or didn't foresee they would be enemies? Also, where are God's apparent insecurities coming from?

“Are you a Problem or Solution?”

Since: Mar 09

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
actually prophecy says "when they say "peace peace, then comes sudden destruction".
also, regarding the antichrist, it say "through peace he shall destroy wonderfully" and "....all the world will wonder after him"
you see, when so-called 'peace' is made in the world, but God is kicked out of its ideology, it becomes useless to Him and therefore He will destroy it; i.e., the godless world system.
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it interesting (as well as odd) that your two posts above, reminded of this scene in Clash of the Titans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

It has been a while since I attended a class on Greek mythology. I guess need a refresher course to understand why I personally read a link between what you wrote and this movie based on Greek mythology. <<shrugs>>

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Hello, Andrew.
That is a name I have not read in a while. Hello Water, it’s good to read you! I still have yet to try and make the recipes you gave me. Life is just now settling down after the everyone home during the holidays 'chuckle. I think I am ready though, no kitchen catastrophes to report from the holidays.....

<<knocks on wood>>

;0)

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I find it interesting (as well as odd) that your two posts above, reminded of this scene in Clash of the Titans:
It has been a while since I attended a class on Greek mythology. I guess need a refresher course to understand why I personally read a link between what you wrote and this movie based on Greek mythology. <<shrugs>>
A very Christianized Greek Mythology.

Payback is a b!tch. LOL

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the personal strength it takes to face the obstacle’s in ones life. I do not think that God intends for folks to simply sit and pray about their (or others) trials and tribulations to make them better.
I believe that the Bible is intended to be a guide to better oneself, not to use to simply impress upon others what one personally think’s the will of God is. It is my belief that God works through us, not simply for us. What I take from The Mustard Seed is that I may simply be one small person - the mustard seed, yet I am capable of making a big difference - moving mountains.
<quoted text>
No. I believe that it is a story found within the Bible to give one added strength when they are in need of it. I draw on my belief in God for personal strength, others do not. It is simply something that makes us different, not one more capable than the other.
<quoted text>
I found your links very interesting, below are three quotes from them that gave me pause:

“The point, in other words, is not just that the mustard plant starts as a proverbially small seed and grows into a shrub of three or four feet, or even higher, it is that it tends to take over where it is not wanted, that it tends to get out of control, and that it tends to attract birds within cultivated areas where they are not particularly desired. And that, said Jesus, was what the Kingdom was like: not like the mighty cedar of Lebanon and not quite like a common weed, like a pungent shrub with dangerous takeover properties. Something you would want in only small and carefully controlled doses-if you could control it.”
As always, I am so impressed with the thinking you put into things. We disagree on many points, but there are multitudes of things on which we agree. This is one of them.

I'm glad you posted this, as it made me think. That's what it's all about though, isn't it?

For convenience and clarity, I deleted the portions of your text that do not apply to that which I am commenting.

My first thought was,'If teachers of math, history, science, grammar etc. teach progressively, and build on the previous teachings, why would we isolate one verse of Jesus' teachings instead of looking at them as a progression, one thing built on another?

This version of the mustard seed is very interesting indeed. Jesus would have known about the mustard plant. Otherwise he would not have used it as an example. If you look up the history of the mustard plant, you'll see that it was grown profusely in North Africa, the Middle East and the Mediterranean. Jesus would certainly have seen it grow and known it's properties.

He would have known that seeds scattered carelessly and not tended would have grown out of control and become a pest rather than something valuable to those who grew it and those whose land had been invaded by it.

So 'a grain' of mustard seed would have been valuable. It would have given a valuable crop when dropped in fertile soil. But handfuls of the grain thrown carelessly into what was once fertile soil would not only have spread uncontrollably into something unwanted, but would have ruined the soil for many generations.

I think this can be coupled with Jesus' teaching in Matthew 10:14.
' If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet.'

In other words, plant a *single* seed in what is hopefully fertile ground. Do not cast out handfuls of seed and continue to do so until the ground is ruined and nothing will grow there for generations.

The lessons we can learn from Jesus (and other enlightened people) are much deeper than black words on a white page.

Those who never look for something deeper, something that connects the teachings one to another, have missed the entire point of the teachings and will never be enlightened by them IMO.

Thanks to you and other people like you, I have come a long way on my own journey.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
all false religions/mythologies conatin some truthfull analogies based from the bible. what's so hard about this to understand???

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
A very Christianized Greek Mythology.
Payback is a b!tch. LOL
To be honest I took a serious pause before I posted that….I was much younger when I took my mythology class, so I thought I was remembering wrong. Watched the clip, now I am wondering about a possible correlation. So many questions….so little time. Hey G, good to read you!:O)

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
God didn't create it's own enemies, and/or didn't foresee they would be enemies? Also, where are God's apparent insecurities coming from?
the first thing you should know before you'll understand anything else is; "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom".

if you don't know enough to respect Someone who's much greater than you, how am i suppose to explain even the simplest of the things to you???

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
all false religions/mythologies conatin some truthfull analogies based from the bible. what's so hard about this to understand???
Even the ones which pre-date the Bible?

Even ones which had no contact with Judeo-Christian ideology?

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
the first thing you should know before you'll understand anything else is; "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom".
if you don't know enough to respect Someone who's much greater than you, how am i suppose to explain even the simplest of the things to you???
Please explain how being afraid of God radically changes the nature of logic. This should be really good.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the personal strength it takes to face the obstacle’s in ones life. I do not think that God intends for folks to simply sit and pray about their (or others) trials and tribulations to make them better.
I believe that the Bible is intended to be a guide to better oneself, not to use to simply impress upon others what one personally think’s the will of God is. It is my belief that God works through us, not simply for us. What I take from The Mustard Seed is that I may simply be one small person - the mustard seed, yet I am capable of making a big difference - moving mountains.
<quoted text>
No. I believe that it is a story found within the Bible to give one added strength when they are in need of it. I draw on my belief in God for personal strength, others do not. It is simply something that makes us different, not one more capable than the other.
<quoted text>
I found your links very interesting, below are three quotes from them that gave me pause:
"It is hard," Douglas Oakman rightly concludes, "to escape the conclusion that Jesus deliberately likens the rule of God to a weed."
“The point, in other words, is not just that the mustard plant starts as a proverbially small seed and grows into a shrub of three or four feet, or even higher, it is that it tends to take over where it is not wanted, that it tends to get out of control, and that it tends to attract birds within cultivated areas where they are not particularly desired. And that, said Jesus, was what the Kingdom was like: not like the mighty cedar of Lebanon and not quite like a common weed, like a pungent shrub with dangerous takeover properties. Something you would want in only small and carefully controlled doses-if you could control it.”
“He who seeks peace should draw out the arrow of lamentation, and complaint, and grief. He who has drawn out the arrow and has become composed will obtain peace of mind; he who has overcome all sorrow will become free from sorrow, and be blessed."
Thank you for the links and the thoughts that are following AnnieJ. I hope all is well in your slice of the world my friend.
I'd also like to add:

When one seed is planted and carefully cultivated in good soil, giving water and nutrients only when needed (asked for), weeding out the outgrowth (our own pride) before it gets out of control, then the plant will produce a valuable product. When it is strewn carelessly and pervades neighbors lands, it not only destroys their soil but our own. We become proud of our many plants and blind to the fact that we have destroyed the very thing we wished to accomplish.

We must take the whole teaching in order to understand each of the ones preceding it and coming after

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
Few quick questions then, if I may?

The scripture you gave, did the text predate Greek mythology?(old or new testament if you will)
If the scripture you posted came after Greek mythology, how was Greek mythology based on the scripture that you posted?

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
actually prophecy says "when they say "peace peace, then comes sudden destruction".
also, regarding the antichrist, it say "through peace he shall destroy wonderfully" and "....all the world will wonder after him"
you see, when so-called 'peace' is made in the world, but God is kicked out of its ideology, it becomes useless to Him and therefore He will destroy it; i.e., the godless world system.
You have no idea what these words mean. You look simply for things that will promote your hate for those who will not believe what you tell them as you have a lack of understanding and don't realize it.

Your explanation has nothing to do with that teaching. Maybe you should spend more time thinking and less time spewing. Your pride will be your downfall.

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
Few quick questions then, if I may?
The scripture you gave, did the text predate Greek mythology?(old or new testament if you will)
If the scripture you posted came after Greek mythology, how was Greek mythology based on the scripture that you posted?
FYI, you aren't going to understand waaaas's non-answer until you agree to brainwash yourself first.

“Love much, trust none”

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
To be honest I took a serious pause before I posted that….I was much younger when I took my mythology class, so I thought I was remembering wrong. Watched the clip, now I am wondering about a possible correlation. So many questions….so little time. Hey G, good to read you!:O)
Good to see you back.

“Love much, trust none”

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
According to Christianity it is "only child syndrome". According to Judaism and Islam, it is "isolation induced dementia and megalomania".

“Love much, trust none”

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
How were religions that existed thousands of years before the Jews even existed base anything on your book compiled in 325 AD.

You have got to be the biggest moron on Topix....or constantly stoned out of your mind.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay is a malleable substance. It is plastic in that it can be made into many different objects. It can be made into things useful for everyday life such as bowls, jugs, and bricks.

The potter makes the objects and fires them. It is up to the end user to decide how to use them.

A bowl can be used to serve up poisoned porridge or nourishing soup. A jug may hold acid or delicious lemonade. A brick may be used to stone your wife and children or build a house in which they may live comfortably.

You forget that without the clay, the potter would be just as empty of accomplishments as clay would be without the potter.

In other words, each are equally valuable.

In the case of God being the potter, it would mean he only makes the vessels and goods from available material, or clay. The end use is not at his discretion.

Each human being is the end user of life. We can provide a nourishing bowl of soup to a stranger or serve him poisoned soup until he dies or realizes what you're doing and goes to someone who has something nourishing and healing for him.

You can serve lemonade or acid. Acid will damage the person and leave them bitter toward you forever. Or, you can serve lemonade sweetened with honey and have him ask you for the recipe.

You can stone your wife, children and neighbors for what you believe they are doing wrong, or you can build a house where all are welcome.

It's all up to each individual.

When you choose to use the vessels in a way that makes others run from you, you will never be asked for a recipe. You'll never become a friend. You'll never be able to share anything else because you will not be trusted to do so.

You co-create the world with your deeds, words and thoughts. Not a single human being can manage to always use honey every time they speak. Not a single human being can manage to love every other person, as we do not have the capacity to see within their minds. Not a single human being can manage to build every house to be a welcoming place with a fire of kindness always burning.

But we can manage not to stone people with the bricks of hate. Bricks that were fired with the intent of providing comfort can be used for many other things not so pleasant.

All we can do is try to understand how to use the utensils and bricks in the most productive and compassionate way.

It is not up to your God or anyone else's to do this work. It is up to each individual.

When you realize this, you can change and truly be 'born again'.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 411,221 - 411,240 of440,797
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

399 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min IPSEC 716,086
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 12 min onemale 255,612
What country has the best culture in your opinion? (Jul '08) 47 min howisthat 240
Why do BLACK People hate Mexicans so much? (Dec '13) 50 min hail 151
jawan bhanji ki chudai kaise karu (Apr '13) 51 min sanju 31
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 55 min Johnny 1,394
Wedding silks 1 hr Rohini 1
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr andet1987 93,157
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr marge 529,748
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 8 hr Shut-Up 60
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••