“Are you a Problem or Solution?”

Since: Mar 09

Ann Arbor, MI

#435417 Jan 14, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?
Buddha
Love it!

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#435418 Jan 14, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
... but God is kicked out of its ideology, it becomes useless to Him and therefore He will destroy it....
Your deity is one evil POS. Good thing it isn't real.

Ann Arbor, MI

#435419 Jan 14, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
"Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity."
Buddha.
Words to live by.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#435420 Jan 14, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Your deity is one evil POS. Good thing it isn't real.
"shall the lump of clay say to the Potter "i have no need of you""?

whatcha think this whole life is all about, if not being a member of the family of God? why should our Creator tolerate insolent enemies of His plans & purposes???

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#435421 Jan 14, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text> Ha!
I spose they'll have us do'n all the swabb'n or crows nest'n...that's if'n W_N even signs the dang board'n papers! HUUM? I'm a wonder'n if we got's ta have a pastport? My head don't take pichers too good ya'know. Ever time they flashes that light thing, fire starts ta fly'n out'a that spot there. Afore I got my own ship(back in the day) they used ta strap me ta the forward bow so's they could see through the fog an all.
Nah. It's just a picnic. The fundies hate it when we have fun. Why would I spoil that? We just hire somebody to do the dirty work. It's all that money I get from redeeming my nuts/clueless/racy icons from Topix that allows that.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#435422 Jan 14, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK!! I promise!
Sounds like ya been do'n lots o' updat'n an such, Is this gonna be like the clean mary boat?
It's really good that it's waterproof an all---helps it float huh?Tineraries is good too! That way ya know what yer gonna eat every day.
Well there's always the possibility that we catch some fresh fish or something, but mostly we just eat what we like best.

The upgrades are great. Now we have a fridge for the beer, iced tea and wine coolers and we take a small grill with us to do some outdoor cookin'.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#435423 Jan 14, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
whatcha think this whole life is all about, if not being a member of the family of God? why should our Creator tolerate insolent enemies of His plans & purposes???
Your deities are lumps of clay.

I prefer the real God of the Universe.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#435424 Jan 14, 2013
Bukki Marshall wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound such a nice lady you do. PWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA, NOT.
Hello, Andrew.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#435425 Jan 14, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
God didn't create it's own enemies, and/or didn't foresee they would be enemies? Also, where are God's apparent insecurities coming from?

Ann Arbor, MI

#435426 Jan 14, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
actually prophecy says "when they say "peace peace, then comes sudden destruction".
also, regarding the antichrist, it say "through peace he shall destroy wonderfully" and "....all the world will wonder after him"
you see, when so-called 'peace' is made in the world, but God is kicked out of its ideology, it becomes useless to Him and therefore He will destroy it; i.e., the godless world system.
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it interesting (as well as odd) that your two posts above, reminded of this scene in Clash of the Titans:

It has been a while since I attended a class on Greek mythology. I guess need a refresher course to understand why I personally read a link between what you wrote and this movie based on Greek mythology. <<shrugs>>

Ann Arbor, MI

#435427 Jan 14, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Hello, Andrew.
That is a name I have not read in a while. Hello Water, it’s good to read you! I still have yet to try and make the recipes you gave me. Life is just now settling down after the everyone home during the holidays 'chuckle. I think I am ready though, no kitchen catastrophes to report from the holidays.....

<<knocks on wood>>

;0)

“Love much, trust none”

There

#435428 Jan 14, 2013
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I find it interesting (as well as odd) that your two posts above, reminded of this scene in Clash of the Titans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =-6eVxccWohUXX
It has been a while since I attended a class on Greek mythology. I guess need a refresher course to understand why I personally read a link between what you wrote and this movie based on Greek mythology. <<shrugs>>
A very Christianized Greek Mythology.

Payback is a b!tch. LOL

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#435429 Jan 14, 2013
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the personal strength it takes to face the obstacle’s in ones life. I do not think that God intends for folks to simply sit and pray about their (or others) trials and tribulations to make them better.
I believe that the Bible is intended to be a guide to better oneself, not to use to simply impress upon others what one personally think’s the will of God is. It is my belief that God works through us, not simply for us. What I take from The Mustard Seed is that I may simply be one small person - the mustard seed, yet I am capable of making a big difference - moving mountains.
<quoted text>
No. I believe that it is a story found within the Bible to give one added strength when they are in need of it. I draw on my belief in God for personal strength, others do not. It is simply something that makes us different, not one more capable than the other.
<quoted text>
I found your links very interesting, below are three quotes from them that gave me pause:

“The point, in other words, is not just that the mustard plant starts as a proverbially small seed and grows into a shrub of three or four feet, or even higher, it is that it tends to take over where it is not wanted, that it tends to get out of control, and that it tends to attract birds within cultivated areas where they are not particularly desired. And that, said Jesus, was what the Kingdom was like: not like the mighty cedar of Lebanon and not quite like a common weed, like a pungent shrub with dangerous takeover properties. Something you would want in only small and carefully controlled doses-if you could control it.”
As always, I am so impressed with the thinking you put into things. We disagree on many points, but there are multitudes of things on which we agree. This is one of them.

I'm glad you posted this, as it made me think. That's what it's all about though, isn't it?

For convenience and clarity, I deleted the portions of your text that do not apply to that which I am commenting.

My first thought was,'If teachers of math, history, science, grammar etc. teach progressively, and build on the previous teachings, why would we isolate one verse of Jesus' teachings instead of looking at them as a progression, one thing built on another?

This version of the mustard seed is very interesting indeed. Jesus would have known about the mustard plant. Otherwise he would not have used it as an example. If you look up the history of the mustard plant, you'll see that it was grown profusely in North Africa, the Middle East and the Mediterranean. Jesus would certainly have seen it grow and known it's properties.

He would have known that seeds scattered carelessly and not tended would have grown out of control and become a pest rather than something valuable to those who grew it and those whose land had been invaded by it.

So 'a grain' of mustard seed would have been valuable. It would have given a valuable crop when dropped in fertile soil. But handfuls of the grain thrown carelessly into what was once fertile soil would not only have spread uncontrollably into something unwanted, but would have ruined the soil for many generations.

I think this can be coupled with Jesus' teaching in Matthew 10:14.
' If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet.'

In other words, plant a *single* seed in what is hopefully fertile ground. Do not cast out handfuls of seed and continue to do so until the ground is ruined and nothing will grow there for generations.

The lessons we can learn from Jesus (and other enlightened people) are much deeper than black words on a white page.

Those who never look for something deeper, something that connects the teachings one to another, have missed the entire point of the teachings and will never be enlightened by them IMO.

Thanks to you and other people like you, I have come a long way on my own journey.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#435430 Jan 14, 2013
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =-6eVxccWohUXX
all false religions/mythologies conatin some truthfull analogies based from the bible. what's so hard about this to understand???

Ann Arbor, MI

#435431 Jan 14, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
A very Christianized Greek Mythology.
Payback is a b!tch. LOL
To be honest I took a serious pause before I posted that….I was much younger when I took my mythology class, so I thought I was remembering wrong. Watched the clip, now I am wondering about a possible correlation. So many questions….so little time. Hey G, good to read you!:O)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#435432 Jan 14, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
God didn't create it's own enemies, and/or didn't foresee they would be enemies? Also, where are God's apparent insecurities coming from?
the first thing you should know before you'll understand anything else is; "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom".

if you don't know enough to respect Someone who's much greater than you, how am i suppose to explain even the simplest of the things to you???

San Francisco

#435433 Jan 14, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
all false religions/mythologies conatin some truthfull analogies based from the bible. what's so hard about this to understand???
Even the ones which pre-date the Bible?

Even ones which had no contact with Judeo-Christian ideology?

San Francisco

#435434 Jan 14, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
the first thing you should know before you'll understand anything else is; "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom".
if you don't know enough to respect Someone who's much greater than you, how am i suppose to explain even the simplest of the things to you???
Please explain how being afraid of God radically changes the nature of logic. This should be really good.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#435435 Jan 14, 2013
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the personal strength it takes to face the obstacle’s in ones life. I do not think that God intends for folks to simply sit and pray about their (or others) trials and tribulations to make them better.
I believe that the Bible is intended to be a guide to better oneself, not to use to simply impress upon others what one personally think’s the will of God is. It is my belief that God works through us, not simply for us. What I take from The Mustard Seed is that I may simply be one small person - the mustard seed, yet I am capable of making a big difference - moving mountains.
<quoted text>
No. I believe that it is a story found within the Bible to give one added strength when they are in need of it. I draw on my belief in God for personal strength, others do not. It is simply something that makes us different, not one more capable than the other.
<quoted text>
I found your links very interesting, below are three quotes from them that gave me pause:
"It is hard," Douglas Oakman rightly concludes, "to escape the conclusion that Jesus deliberately likens the rule of God to a weed."
“The point, in other words, is not just that the mustard plant starts as a proverbially small seed and grows into a shrub of three or four feet, or even higher, it is that it tends to take over where it is not wanted, that it tends to get out of control, and that it tends to attract birds within cultivated areas where they are not particularly desired. And that, said Jesus, was what the Kingdom was like: not like the mighty cedar of Lebanon and not quite like a common weed, like a pungent shrub with dangerous takeover properties. Something you would want in only small and carefully controlled doses-if you could control it.”
“He who seeks peace should draw out the arrow of lamentation, and complaint, and grief. He who has drawn out the arrow and has become composed will obtain peace of mind; he who has overcome all sorrow will become free from sorrow, and be blessed."
Thank you for the links and the thoughts that are following AnnieJ. I hope all is well in your slice of the world my friend.
I'd also like to add:

When one seed is planted and carefully cultivated in good soil, giving water and nutrients only when needed (asked for), weeding out the outgrowth (our own pride) before it gets out of control, then the plant will produce a valuable product. When it is strewn carelessly and pervades neighbors lands, it not only destroys their soil but our own. We become proud of our many plants and blind to the fact that we have destroyed the very thing we wished to accomplish.

We must take the whole teaching in order to understand each of the ones preceding it and coming after

Ann Arbor, MI

#435436 Jan 14, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
Few quick questions then, if I may?

The scripture you gave, did the text predate Greek mythology?(old or new testament if you will)
If the scripture you posted came after Greek mythology, how was Greek mythology based on the scripture that you posted?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Tide with Beach 773,249
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min confrinting with ... 558,735
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 6 min Johnny 4,663
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 11 min Rick in Kansas 264,952
free phones 13 min vcsy 1
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 27 min Lyndi 175,497
anyone up for a bbm swap of pics ;) (May '12) 31 min ben1979 358
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 44 min Peace_Warrior 604,735
More from around the web