Why I’m no longer a Christian

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#434772 Jan 11, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Please post the verse where Jesus said that.
Why do you constantly lie for Satan ?
That's back in the "ad-hoc" section. That's why they got's all them "blank" pages. Ya gotta write it yerself(red ink works the best.
Some books jist labels it "notes"-so even dummies can figger it out.
Now---after ya done all that--ya kin claim it's "written" in the book...without be'n a complete liar!
Huh

Fort Worth, TX

#434773 Jan 11, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a girl. It is supposed to give you a big bossom. LOL
Misogynist.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#434774 Jan 11, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
I am more inclined to believe the earlier flood story than the Hebrew mutation.
Either way. A 28 foot high flood is pretty common.'73 Susqehanna River peaked at 30'.
Had Genesis not gone on to say that all the mountains of the earth were covered, then yes, that would have been quite believable.

But it says:

Genesis 7:

19 And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered.

20 Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.

On top of that, the ark supposedly came to rest on the top of Mount Ararat when the floods receded. It doesn't say the greater or lesser Mt Ararat, but the greater is nearly 17,000 feet above sea level and the lesser is nearly 13,000 feet above sea level.

Most people read that scripture as 15 cubits over the tops of the mountains, as 15 cubits would not cover the mountains of Turkey.

It's just another puzzling question in the OT, as modern scholars know that those mountains could not have been covered. Also, if all life died on earth including plants, the animals on the ark would have died within weeks after they were set free to walk, fly or swim back to their native lands.

So what's your take on that?

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#434775 Jan 11, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you'll never understand the introduction to the Gospel of John without knowing a little about the Logos. It shows how Hellenism influenced Christianity, but it doesn't make the Hebrew Bible say what it doesn't say.
It started with Heraclitus of Ephesus, about the same time that the Yehudim were rebuilding Jerusalem and writing Leviticus as well as the first creation narrative, after the Babylonian captivity.
Wiki has a decent introduction.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logos
That's great. Have you read any of these? Any recommendations?
Cheers :)

http://biologos.org/resources/books

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#434776 Jan 11, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a girl. It is supposed to give you a big bossom. LOL
Well, in that case.......
:p

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#434777 Jan 11, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
That's great. Have you read any of these? Any recommendations?
Cheers :)
http://biologos.org/resources/books
X gives you sites so you can learn some of the origin of your religion, and you give him apologetics. Wow!

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#434779 Jan 11, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't speak for others, but I think I pretty much understand what you have.
Your religion gives you an excuse for behaving badly. And when even you cannot excuse your behavior based on your religion, it nevertheless absolves you of culpability for that bad behavior, as well as immunizes you against any liability for it -- at least in your mind.
It's also a short cut to being right for you no matter how wrong you are. It allows you without serious education or effort to pretend you're right because your myth agrees with you.
And it provides you with a sense of superiority over those who clearly are your superiors -- intellectually, spiritually, and morally.
The one thing it may not provide for you that it commonly provides other fundies is a sense of community.
I doubt you have any real community. Probably not even a church you regularly attend. I can't prove that, but it is my hunch based on years of experience on Topix. And I will consider any response from you contra a probable prevarication.
By the way, you've demonstrated repeatedly that you have only the most rudimentary familiarity with "the Bible". I'm not even talking about understanding, just simple familiarity. That's because what it says is of little consequence to what you want to believe and what you want it to do for you.
sssoooo whatchu got for your basis of belief for life and responsibilities??? apart from God and His Word, peeps pretty much fly by the seat of their own self-righteousness & that's usually defined by a combo of freud, nietzsche, darwin...etc, all who were basically nutbars who recanted on most of their ideology and nietzsche went certifiably insane & began talking like a baby before he passed.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#434780 Jan 11, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>Misogynist.
Nope. A comedian.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#434781 Jan 11, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> Had Genesis not gone on to say that all the mountains of the earth were covered, then yes, that would have been quite believable....
The Hebrew says "hills" not "mountains". The cubit conversion of the height of the waters comes out to about 27 feet.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#434782 Jan 11, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm, there is some evidence that there MIGHT have been a person named Jesus (or at least the Aramaic name that would have been transcribed into Greek as "Jesus"). However, there is NO ->OBJECTIVE<- evidence that he was anything other than just another Jewish revivalist preacher.
Any claims that he was a god are PURELY subjective in nature.
well He still is in the business of transforming the natures of those who call on His Name. do you know anything or anyone else who can do that?:)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#434783 Jan 11, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus came to this world because Joseph had sex with Mary.
that's a LIE, liar! Jesus was conceived before joseph & mary ever had sex. EXTRA EXTRA.....READ ALL ABOUT IT!!!
Huh

Fort Worth, TX

#434784 Jan 11, 2013
TLC wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is why that kid went on a shooting spree in California yesterday. Why do you keep teaching people to be evil? You should be permanently incarcerated.
Yeah, sure. Teaching children that they are evil and that a Semetic hippie had to be tortured to death to "save" them is the underlying cause for the majority of mental illness in this country.

Look! Christian kidnappers!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/201...

"Russell said he wasn't sure what the elder Landers did for a living, but before they disappeared, they were popular locally for their Christian music performances and appeared at festivals and churches."

Yeah, yeah, yada, yada, they use Tide, you use Era. Blah, blah.
Huh

Fort Worth, TX

#434785 Jan 11, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. A comedian.
A comedian? You're less funny and as misogynistic as Wasssuuup. Adult women are not girls, moron.
Huh

Fort Worth, TX

#434786 Jan 11, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
sssoooo whatchu got for your basis of belief for life and responsibilities??? apart from God and His Word, peeps pretty much fly by the seat of their own self-righteousness & that's usually defined by a combo of freud, nietzsche, darwin...etc, all who were basically nutbars who recanted on most of their ideology and nietzsche went certifiably insane & began talking like a baby before he passed.
More ridiculous word salad. Just once could you have a clue about anything?
Huh

Fort Worth, TX

#434787 Jan 11, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad for you that you don't know what I may or may not know. Did I ever say it's my decision? Ah, no.
There are bad apples in every barrel. Obviously.
When you declared someone was not really a Christian, invoking The No True Scotsman fallacy, you made a decision. Why are Christians dishonest and unable to think?

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#434788 Jan 11, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Translation: you are totally ignorant of what the word "theory" means in a scientific context...
so your a 'they say' worshiper, i get that! i don't believe your religious leaders who speculate on things outside their field of study anymore than you believe mine who do!;)
Huh

Fort Worth, TX

#434789 Jan 11, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
'Zombie Jesus'- that's a new one.
:)
Christianity…the belief that some cosmic Jewish zombie will grant you immortality, if you ‘symbolically’ eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can rid an evil imbedded in mans soul because some rib woman was tricked into eating a magic apple by a talking snake…yeah makes perfect sense - attribution unknown. But funny as shit
Huh

Fort Worth, TX

#434790 Jan 11, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>
Revelation 22:13
I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
Jesus is God!
So much for that first commandment then. Oh well.
Huh

Fort Worth, TX

#434791 Jan 11, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Free will for all, even kitties.
;p
That did not answer his cogent post, nor is free will testable or even a viable excuse. Free will is just a ridiculous apologetic to explain away how an omnipotent, omnipresent, omnibenevolent, omniscient entity could allow bad things to happen. One of those five things has to fall away, as all five can not co-exist.

Studies have shown that free will truly does not exist. Given an almost identical set of circumstances, an individual will respond in almost an identical manner, every time. There are genetic conditions where people are prone to violent fantasy and jealous rage; they are over 10 times more likely to commit murder and over 40 times more likely to commit sexual assault. Most prisoners suffer from this genetic condition, and almost everyone on death row has it. Relative to other people, they have an abundance of testosterone, which is associated with dominance and aggression, and a deficit in oxytocin, associated with compassion. And it gets passed through generations. They are called men. We are all products of our genetic makeup.

Most scientists and philosophers agree that it is an illusion. Our actions are in fact literally predestined, determined by the laws of physics, the state of the universe, long before we were born, and, perhaps, by random events at the quantum level. We chose none of this, and so free will does not exist.

Once again, Christian apologetics has lied to you.
Huh

Fort Worth, TX

#434792 Jan 11, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
so your a 'they say' worshiper, i get that! i don't believe your religious leaders who speculate on things outside their field of study anymore than you believe mine who do!;)
No, translation: You are willfully ignorant of the scientific use of the word theory. Your word salad deflection just makes you look like an even bigger idiot. Some said that wasn't possible. You proved them wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 29 min Catcher1 101,231
I love you sister Joyce Meyer 1 hr Doctor REALITY 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Liamm 670,552
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr WildWeirdWillie 184,310
hurricane hyjinks by yin katz 6 hr yin katz 4
lsexting 7 hr splashshane 1
what are the physical differences between india... (Jun '09) 8 hr Pres Mr Donald J ... 91
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 10 hr btcmacroecon 286,473
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 15 hr Joe Fortuna 980,324
More from around the web