Why I’m no longer a Christian

“Peace Love”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#432873 Jan 4, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
the better question is:
if this corrupt & disease ridden life is the best there is, why not just pop a cap in the noggin today?
It's in no way a better question.
The will to live is not dependant on your version of religion or any religion.
Suggesting such a thing is utterly ridiculous.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#432874 Jan 4, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey boss!
De plane, de plane!
Let's go meet our guests.

Since: Jul 08

New York, NY

#432875 Jan 4, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Martha and Mary lived in Bethany and Lazarus was their brother, they were friends with Jesus.
The story I like about them is the one when Jesus comes to visit and Martha is fussing around, preparing the meal and whatnot, whilst Mary is sitting at Jesus' feet, bathing them in perfume and listening to Jesus. Martha comes and rebukes Mary for not helping and Jesus sticks up for Mary by saying there are more important things in life. My mother was a lot like Martha but I relate more to Mary. I think the story points to faith instead of works.
Peace <3
Interesting that you would choose Luke's mention of Mary and Martha. Are these women Mary and Martha of Bethany? GoLuke does not say where the house is supposed to be, though based on the point in the narative, it would appear likely the place was somewhere in Galilee rather than Bethany, just out side of Jerusalem, where GoJohn's narrative places them. Some apologists claim they moved after the story in Luke and before they are mentioned in John.

Having said that, most experts probably hold just as you do: GoLuke's story is about the same characters as GoJohn's Mary and Martha of Bethany regardless of the apparent discrepancy in location.

Yet here's the problem: Why doesn't Luke's author mention at the very least that these women are the sisters of Lazarus -- if they are the M&Ms of Bethany? That's an important connection that GoJohn makes that likely would not be overlooked by GoLuke's author.

And whether we have two sets of M&Ms or one, why is Lazarus' story missing in Matthew, Mark, and in Luke? It seems to me, aside from the claimed resurrection of Jesus, there is no more important miracle in Jesus' putative ministery. Indeed, according to John's author, Lazarus had been dead four days, and his sister worried about the stink that would come from his rotting corpse if his tomb were unsealed. That was a heck of a miracle.

Even GoLuke's story regarding Jesus raising the widow’s Son in Nain cannot be so important, since the son has yet to be burried. And the same is true of Jairus' daughter. Though the synoptic accounts conflict somewhat, she dies juust before or just after Jairus asks for Jesus' help. But even more importantly, neither the widow's son nor Jairus' daughter are the cause of Jesus' own demise, as Lazarus is, according to GoJohn. John 11 and 12 would have us believe the priests decided to kill both Jesus and Lazarus because of this miracle.

Interestingly, Luke's author doesn't mention Lazarus of Bethany but takes time to tell the parable of Lazarus and Dives. This Lazarus presumably is a fictional character invented to tell a parable. Oddly, Luke's author is the only gospel writer in the canon to attach a name to a character in any parable. And Lazarus, in the Lazarus and Dives parable, is the only time Luke's author does so.(Dives is not a name actually used in the parable.) Why unconventionally name the fictional Lazarus in a parable but ignore the ostensibly real Lazarus, who's healing supposedly leads to Jesus' execution?

What's up with all that?

New York, NY

#432876 Jan 4, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>That solves nothing.
My question is , If some one loves their country and follows it's laws regardless of how immoral those laws may be does that mean that person worships the state?
I didn't intend it to solve anything. I intended to make clear that you were wrong; the law often imposes its "view" or society's view of moral standards, at least when it comes to behavior. And the reality is, you have to choose either to comply with those standards or risk whatever sanctions the law imposes for failure to comply, assuming you don't choose to leave its jurisdictional grasp or have time to successfully challenge or get the law changed before making that choice.

And your question is silly. "Immoral" according to whom? The person who complies? Society in general? If you mean the individual's morality, does being forced between compliance and risking sanctions cause one to worship his country whether he loves his country or not? Love one's country how? The people? The culture? The land? The government? And regardless of whose standards define morality or what love of country means, what "immoral" laws? Most of them? Some of them? A few of them? Laws imposed by a representative government or a dictatorship? How "immoral", regardless of whose standards? Paying taxes that may go to programs the individual does not support? Getting medical treatment for one's child when one objects on religious grounds? Killing people on the government's whim?

And regardless of how you may attempt to refine your question, the fact remains, regardless of your assertion contra, the law can and does imposes moral standards, and you have to deal with it.

New York, NY

#432877 Jan 4, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> Non-Christians suffer those consequences every day in this country. Too bad the Christians who hate non-Christians don't see that.
It's a reality for all of us.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#432878 Jan 4, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a reality for all of us.
sissy

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#432879 Jan 4, 2013
HumanWaste wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's go meet our guests.
shut up!!! what a waste

“Peace Love”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#432880 Jan 4, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Some will say that Viking is not one of those "true Christians"...but I wonder...maybe he does represent "true Christianity". He certainly seems to be a part of a growing number of his ilk.
Most of us would prefer Christians such as NoStress, Senecus, OYE but I wonder if we just prefer them because they are kinder and more compassionate than the Vikings, Thumpers, Wasups?
The Bible is certainly no help in figuring that out...it is filled with conflicting messages...leaving one to wonder just what is the real message...if there is one at all.
It's a really slick way of promoting a religion that leaves no one and yet everyone responsible for the actions of it's members.
If they agree it's great, if they don't they disclaim the actions of a particular sect/cult. The 38,000+ and growing divisions of christianity are a perfect living example.
When needed they band together claiming huge numbers. Yet whne confronted with all their differences they quickly throw the others under the bus.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#432881 Jan 4, 2013
Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.(John 6:28-29)

The people wanted to know what they could DO to work the works of God, and Jesus told them to simply BELIEVE on Him, whom He (the Father) had sent. Jesus cut right to the chase after they asked Him that question. He simply told them to BELIEVE! It is all about FAITH, and that FAITH must be in Him. That is the very crux of the matter, in this whole matter of SALVATION, and where a person is going to spend eternity. It is all about a persons attitude toward Jesus Christ. Do you BELIEVE in Him whom the Father has sent down from Heaven?

REPENT AND BE SAVED

New York, NY

#432882 Jan 4, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>sissy
I have refused to comply with the law under threat of prosecution.

I chose the risk of the consequences.

You, numbnuts?

Location hidden

#432883 Jan 4, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>shut up!!! what a waste
Having a bad day again?

Location hidden

#432884 Jan 4, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.(John 6:28-29)
The people wanted to know what they could DO to work the works of God, and Jesus told them to simply BELIEVE on Him, whom He (the Father) had sent. Jesus cut right to the chase after they asked Him that question. He simply told them to BELIEVE! It is all about FAITH, and that FAITH must be in Him. That is the very crux of the matter, in this whole matter of SALVATION, and where a person is going to spend eternity. It is all about a persons attitude toward Jesus Christ. Do you BELIEVE in Him whom the Father has sent down from Heaven?
REPENT AND BE SAVED
Why?

Why should I care about this fantasy?

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#432885 Jan 4, 2013
SCIENCEandRELIGION EVIL wrote:
You dumb Christians nutcases should find topics about what all those MAd Scientist who ruining the earth with their mad science! These Scientist/buffs outsmarting you Dumb Christains, to balance playing field do talk about evil Science mad experiments...counter them with research you dumb Christian fundies/ religious fruitcakes! JAJAJAJAJJAJa
Why don't you do it? Why depend on people who can barely read and can't write in English?

New York, NY

#432886 Jan 4, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Wanna buy a cross I made out of some 2 x 4s? It will make Jesus happy.
Pfft. Not till your Presidents' Day sale if she's smart.

Location hidden

#432887 Jan 4, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting that you would choose Luke's mention of Mary and Martha. Are these women Mary and Martha of Bethany? GoLuke does not say where the house is supposed to be, though based on the point in the narative, it would appear likely the place was somewhere in Galilee rather than Bethany, just out side of Jerusalem, where GoJohn's narrative places them. Some apologists claim they moved after the story in Luke and before they are mentioned in John.
Having said that, most experts probably hold just as you do: GoLuke's story is about the same characters as GoJohn's Mary and Martha of Bethany regardless of the apparent discrepancy in location.
Yet here's the problem: Why doesn't Luke's author mention at the very least that these women are the sisters of Lazarus -- if they are the M&Ms of Bethany? That's an important connection that GoJohn makes that likely would not be overlooked by GoLuke's author.
And whether we have two sets of M&Ms or one, why is Lazarus' story missing in Matthew, Mark, and in Luke? It seems to me, aside from the claimed resurrection of Jesus, there is no more important miracle in Jesus' putative ministery. Indeed, according to John's author, Lazarus had been dead four days, and his sister worried about the stink that would come from his rotting corpse if his tomb were unsealed. That was a heck of a miracle.
Even GoLuke's story regarding Jesus raising the widow’s Son in Nain cannot be so important, since the son has yet to be burried. And the same is true of Jairus' daughter. Though the synoptic accounts conflict somewhat, she dies juust before or just after Jairus asks for Jesus' help. But even more importantly, neither the widow's son nor Jairus' daughter are the cause of Jesus' own demise, as Lazarus is, according to GoJohn. John 11 and 12 would have us believe the priests decided to kill both Jesus and Lazarus because of this miracle.
Interestingly, Luke's author doesn't mention Lazarus of Bethany but takes time to tell the parable of Lazarus and Dives. This Lazarus presumably is a fictional character invented to tell a parable. Oddly, Luke's author is the only gospel writer in the canon to attach a name to a character in any parable. And Lazarus, in the Lazarus and Dives parable, is the only time Luke's author does so.(Dives is not a name actually used in the parable.) Why unconventionally name the fictional Lazarus in a parable but ignore the ostensibly real Lazarus, who's healing supposedly leads to Jesus' execution?
What's up with all that?
Accounts were written for different groups prior to finding their way into the Bible. Canonization did not include editing for consistency. There is no possible way to tell the Resurrection using every detail included in the synoptic gospels.

New York, NY

#432889 Jan 4, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Accounts were written for different groups prior to finding their way into the Bible. Canonization did not include editing for consistency. There is no possible way to tell the Resurrection using every detail included in the synoptic gospels.
Truly.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#432891 Jan 4, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Pfft. Not till your Presidents' Day sale if she's smart.
He's having a sale??? Why that toad!

I'll wait for the mid-summer clearance...I don't need a cross anyway...

New York, NY

#432892 Jan 4, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
He's having a sale??? Why that toad!
I'll wait for the mid-summer clearance...I don't need a cross anyway...
There you go.

Besides, Dink's having a sale on red pumps for President's Day.

Go for the pumps.

New York, NY

#432893 Jan 4, 2013
Dr Shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew
that your IQ is very low,just simple piece of s....
having disrespect to someone foreign english trying to comunicate in your languges,
but instead answer properly,
you old stupid primitive witch isult and mock others more smart from you stupid women
How's that anger working out for you, Shrunk?

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#432894 Jan 4, 2013
Dr Shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew
that your IQ is very low,just simple piece of s....
having disrespect to someone foreign english trying to comunicate in your languges,
but instead answer properly,
you old stupid primitive witch isult and mock others more smart from you stupid women
Have a nice evening, Shrinky-Dink.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min Seentheotherside 688,772
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 29 min oneear69 121,925
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 41 min Scientistalways 37,083
___End Time ISRAEL -- 2017 FOREWARNINGS___ 44 min oneear69 2
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 59 min oneear69 988,525
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 2 hr Tony 6,548
672,000 gallons of oil spilled off Louisiana co... 7 hr Freakenstein 2
More from around the web