Why I’m no longer a Christian

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#432741 Jan 4, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> That was our local troll, pretending to be huh.
I see little difference between the two.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#432742 Jan 4, 2013
DearthOfCouth wrote:
<quoted text>
It's an interesting predicament: The Democratic and Republican parties are captives of large corporate interests. That's who they work for. Ordinary people count for very little except, maybe, military recruits.
Minor, populist parties surface from time to time -- Green Party for instance -- and try for office. But the electorate vote overwhelmingly for --
Democrats and Republicans.
So whose fault is the whole mess, really?
Every Presidential debate televised or not was between Romney and Obama, The other candidates weren't even allowed to debate with them, and, apparently no one thought anything about it, or that it was wrong. Our political system is broke..........Worst part is not enough of us care, or realize..........

“IMAGINE no religion!”

Since: Feb 09

usa

#432743 Jan 4, 2013
Wloclawek Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
....... The true saved Christian would not have the capacity to hate the non-christian, just ignore them because of the shallowness of the personality,.......
i am guessing you think you are a "true saved christian"....

yet you make the following statement about non christians.

which says you are a christurd, not a christian.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#432744 Jan 4, 2013
DearthOfCouth wrote:
<quoted text>
Universal health care is bad?
For whom?
For those who think that it's okay for our Congressmen to vote themselves lifetime paid insurance premiums for the very best healthcare when they serve no more than one term in Congress. For those who think that it's okay to send billions of dollars to foreign lands to take care of their sick and dying but don't think the sick and dying in this country deserve the same treatment because those people don't 'choose' to be poor.

We rebuild other countries after major disasters but can't seem to do the same for our own citizens. I have personally seen the damage still prevalent in Louisiana and Mississippi from Katrina. Damage that has never been given a thought by Congress. The same will be true for residents affected by Sandy. But we can spend 40 billion dollars in foreign aid while borrowing money from China.

If this makes sense to you, I'd like to hear your reasoning. We have to come to a point where relationships with countries like Egypt come second to our own needs. You would not take food from your family and let them starve to feed Charles Manson. Why would you take funds from disaster victims in other countries and let your own citizens be without?

The same is true for healthcare. We send billions of dollars for healthcare to other countries, including Iraq and Afghanistan. Think about that while you're thinking citizens in this country do not deserve the same kind of medical care we are giving to citizens of other countries.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#432745 Jan 4, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Martin Luther King, Jr helped get laws changed. He did it legally. He did it peacefully. He did not mean with the above remark to go all anarchist.
Reminds me of...

All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Humans are infamous for turning a blind eye...stay uninvolved...apathetic...etc etc. Some will say we have to pick and choose our battles but what happens to the ones that we don't pick and choose? Are we condoning that evil because we don't have the time nor the energy to battle it? Not enough time in the day to fight them all.

“IMAGINE no religion!”

Since: Feb 09

usa

#432746 Jan 4, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
I think thaat is what irritates me the most on the issue.
Everything given to everyone else while the average American gets bled dry.
^5

mind you, i don't have a problem helping for a certain time frame, those that need it.

but to just give money to lazy people who think its owed to them.........

in fort wayne, in we have a group of burmese people that catholic charities brings over and "helps" for 6 months.

they "help" them get on all the programs.

but they don't teach them any skills. they don't teach them anything actually.

they basically just dump them in an area of the city .

i worked for 14 months with a domestic violence shelter [in fort wayne] trying to help those who are victims of domestic violence. translators in the area are few, so communication is a problem.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#432747 Jan 4, 2013
love_spell wrote:
<quoted text>
^5
mind you, i don't have a problem helping for a certain time frame, those that need it.
but to just give money to lazy people who think its owed to them.........
in fort wayne, in we have a group of burmese people that catholic charities brings over and "helps" for 6 months.
they "help" them get on all the programs.
but they don't teach them any skills. they don't teach them anything actually.
they basically just dump them in an area of the city .
i worked for 14 months with a domestic violence shelter [in fort wayne] trying to help those who are victims of domestic violence. translators in the area are few, so communication is a problem.
I will give fish when required, am always willing to teach people to fish. If some can't take care of themselves I understand. I also know a lot of people just milk the system.

As for a "global economy", to me that is the ridiculous idea of putting a hole in your boat so you can drown with everyone else.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#432748 Jan 4, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>For everyone..
Maybe you should get an opinion from those living in countries that have universal health care before making such a definitive statement.

How can it be bad for 'everyone'? Your taxes will go up an average of $190 a year. So will everyone else's. But contrast that to what you are paying for healthcare now. Contrast it to what employers contribute to healthcare plans for employees (those who can afford it!).

The National Health Care Act is based on Mitt Romney's health care plan for the state in which he was governor. That state has fared very well with it's statewide healthcare plan. No one is complaining about it. Those who have the money can still opt for other insurance programs.

I worked 45 years and paid into SS and Medicare, yet still have to pay $134 a month to have basic Medicare. On top of that, I pay for a pharmacy plan and a part N supplement plan. My retirement and SS does not equal what I made when I was working. But I am thankful I have the money to pay for these other plans and not owe 20% of a hospital bill should I need hospitalization.

There is certainly a need to rework the social programs in this country. They are easily used by those who don't need them. But there are those who do need them who are turned down because they were not raised in the system. It's totally lopsided.

But to deny basic healthcare to any citizen is a crime against humanity, IMO.

I haven't heard of a single person who was decrying the health care plan picketing in front of the White house about the insurance plan every Congressman walks away with FOR LIFE. Nor have I seen them picketing in front of the White House about lifetime salaries of Congressmen who serve as little as 5 years, that exceed what many who work harder and longer hours get at retirement.

When we speak of equality, we are really not speaking of reality.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#432749 Jan 4, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>

All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
Ya always gotta blame it on the men dont ya..........

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#432750 Jan 4, 2013
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>
http://rt.com/news/uk-hospital-payout-scandal...
http://mises.org/etexts/taxrob.asp
Not to mention, mandatory health care?
Let alone health care run by Gov. that is trillions in debt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Cdfn0Wiywk4XX
if you want you can skip to 1:25
but that may ruin the total effect of the video
Do you think the way it's done now here is better?

What is your suggestion? Do we let the elderly just die off? What about cancer patients who are working the only job they can find that doesn't allow more than a roof over their heads and just enough food to keep them from starving?

If you have an answer to these problems, I'd love to hear it.

Our insurance companies basically do what they please, as do pharmaceutical companies. One bottle of medicine my DIL takes since her transplant costs $4,995 a month. Should we allow her to die because she can't afford it after working and paying taxes all her life?

I think when it comes to who should have health care, a person's opinion changes when it is THEM who needs it. I've seen it time and again. Very well to do people complain about having to support the needy. But then they lose everything they have and a spouse or child becomes deathly ill. They, like everyone else, will accept help in whatever form it takes and they then EXPECT the government to take care of them.

Most of the people who don't have insurance are working people. They are not lazy. They are not criminals. They are the working poor. If you allow them to die off, who will do the work that makes your life easier? Who will the rich use then? How will their taxes stay lower by percentage when there is no one to do the jobs they think they're too good to do?

It takes every human being in America to keep America running.

We have become a nation of greed, not caring about anyone but ourselves and what we can amass. Yet the poorest of our poor have more than 1/5 of the world. No one wants to make sure we survive as a country, much less as the human race. It seems we don't realize that to survive as a country, we have to be healthy and have jobs that pay enough for basic needs.

I do not live poorly, but I live frugally. I am fortunate that I can donate to worthy causes like the food pantry in our county. Most of the people going there are people who have lost their jobs due to the economy or some misfortune they could not have prepared for. They are people with children and parents to care for. That a single person in this country could go hungry is beyond me. that a single person in this country could die from the lack of healthcare astounds me. We have lost every value this country once stood for.

I hear the words 'family values' coming from the lips of politicians who live in 9 million dollar houses and have affairs and are caught doing the very things they are trying to make laws against, not renewing the Violence Against Women Act, not voting at all on issues that affect every human being in this country, and I just want to vomit.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#432751 Jan 4, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>No, that has always been my line. You have Ben exposed. You are Nitwitsan, KittenKoder, and Paul is not God. You are a C student Camaro-driving, masturbating loser.
Okay, so agreeing with someone inherently makes you their sock?

Well then, I'm a sock of Riverside as well. Skeptic, of course. Mugwump. You, yeah I agreed with you a few times. Urban Cowboy. Let's not forget Aerobatty. Lesbian-whats-her-nick. Nanoanomaly. That's all I can remember off hand.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#432752 Jan 4, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sorry that you can not understand clownie...I don't think that you are dumb...you just play they role of a dumb person is all. Don't fear an education...don't hate yourself for the lack of one...most of all...don't look down upon yourself because you don't understand.
The kids that I used to work with...they misbehaved in order to cover up the fact that they were behind in their education. As I told them...you can change it...but only if you want to.
In the future I will try when I address you to write more to your level so that it won't be too hard for you. In the mean time...you don't have to play the role of a clown...you can do better than that.
Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools I think of you Annie when I read this... you're good like that

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#432753 Jan 4, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, so agreeing with someone inherently makes you their sock?
Well then, I'm a sock of Riverside as well. Skeptic, of course. Mugwump. You, yeah I agreed with you a few times. Urban Cowboy. Let's not forget Aerobatty. Lesbian-whats-her-nick. Nanoanomaly. That's all I can remember off hand.
YO how bout the T-Town Clown????

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#432755 Jan 4, 2013
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; (1 Timothy 4:1)

REPENT AND BE SAVED! YOU'LL NEVER REGRET IT

THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST IS TRUE

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#432756 Jan 4, 2013
Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

CHOOSE LIFE CHOOSE JESUS

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#432757 Jan 4, 2013
After Jesus Christ rose from the dead

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that BELIEVETH and is baptized shall be SAVED; but he that believeth not shall be DAMNED.(Mark 16:15-16)

Once again, the Lord Jesus Christ makes it clear that it was a persons faith in Him which SAVED them. The UNBELIEVER once again is shown to be DAMNED. These are very serious words indeed, because they come from the Lord Jesus Christ, and they came after He had been butchered on the cross, and had risen from the DEAD!

But God commendeth HIS LOVE toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, CHRIST DIED FOR US. Much more then, being now JUSTIFIED BY HIS BLOOD, we shall be SAVED FROM WRATH through him.(Romans 5:8-9)

REPENT AND BE SAVED

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#432758 Jan 4, 2013
DearthOfCouth wrote:
<quoted text>
Until you get seriously ill or injured, that is.
That's just it. Every single person who hammers a national healthcare system would insist on the government taking care of them if they lost their job and insurance due to an injury or long-term illness. It always changes if it's them. I've seen it time and again. My own child was one of those people. He then saw what others have gone through and has a totally different view. He will never be able to get insurance again in his lifetime, nor will his wife after having a transplant. They both thought universal healthcare was a terrible idea. Now they see why it's needed. Neither of them are able to work. Without family and friends, they would not have made it. My son's medicare stopped 1 month after he went home from the hospital. When he went home, he could not even turn over in bed by himself. So tell ME that universal healthcare is a bad thing for 'everyone', when I have watched my own child and his wife do without. My son still needs more surgeries that he can't afford. He can hardly breathe because of the scar tissue caused by the tracheotomy and dares not lay flat at night. He still doesn't have the use of one arm. He still has memory problems due to the brain bleeds. His hip that was put back together still fails and he falls, risking danger in two ways..another head injury and internal bleeding because he has to be on blood thinners.

Go ahead, tell me how universal health care is bad for everyone when my DIL would die without help to take medications that keep her from rejecting her transplant. How many people are on 23 medications a day just to stay alive? Do you think they should just die? Would any of you wish that your child or his wife would die because you think universal healthcare is bad for 'everyone'?

It's a touchy subject with me, for sure. My children will be dealing with this for the rest of their lifetimes. Yet they still have hopes of being self-sufficient; taking care of themselves and being dependent on no-one. They plan for a future and are trying to figure out how they can make a living when neither of them can do physical work. They are not lazy. They are not scamming the system. They are not preying on other Americans. They are simply decent human beings who had terrible things that were beyond their control happen to them.

If those of you who think universal healthcare is bad have something like what happened to my son and his wife happen to you, I doubt seriously you will remain the same in any way. Nor will your families.

There was a child here in my town who was run over by a car. His father was driving the car and backed up when he didn't see the child. The child is damaged forever and will never be able to walk again. His mind will never mature due to the head injuries. Think about not only the child, but the father whose company offered no insurance to its employees. Do you think his child should die because his father could not afford insurance on his own for a family of four? How would you like to be in his position.

More people in this country than not cannot afford health insurance. Before I enrolled in medicare, private insurance was $980 a month for me because I've had a heart condition since birth. How many of you could afford that? Should I have died if not able to get medical help? How many people should die so you don't have to help your fellow human beings while billions are being sent to other countries for healthcare of their citizens? While billions of dollars are being spent on wars that we should never have been in? While your congressmen are assured they will always have health care even if you don't?

Yes..I'm pretty much on the side of humanity. And I'm for taking care of Americans first, and then doing what we can for others.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#432759 Jan 4, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text> Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools I think of you Annie when I read this... you're good like that
I apologize in advance for taking this post back to the original topic of this thread.

When I first left my faith it was a gradual parting of ways. It seemed to have happened without me even knowing it. Life just seemed to pull me in another direction. I am not sure when it even started...maybe it happened long before...maybe even when it began. I was never very comfortable with what I had been taught but it was all that I knew...all that I had become.

Then one day...I realized...I had walked away. I struggled with that...and have for many years...not quite able to cut that final thread that held me in place. I kept thinking that I would find my way back...back to what I knew.

For many years until just recently I held on to "God". I thought that if I kept "God" I would find my way. Until just in the last few weeks...I kept that thought...held on.

One day...I was reading here on this thread...then went to WSJLM and read there. All I saw was hatred...arguing...back stabbing. I thought about all the Christians that had been in my life...relatives...friends...a cquaintances...that is when it dawned on me...there could not be a "God". There could be no deity that would promote such animosity among that which he created.

Maybe you are right clownie...maybe I am foolish...foolish for holding on to something for so many years...wanting and needing for it to be truth. Maybe any wisdom that I hope to find is in the letting go.

So...if you see me as foolish it is okay...I look back...maybe you are right...it was foolish to try and hold on.

I don't regret the memories of the faith that I once held but to continue to hold on to them is to borrow your opinion of me...foolish.

Thank you clownie. I can move on now.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#432760 Jan 4, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> That's just it. Every single person who hammers a national healthcare system would insist on the government taking care of them if they lost their job and insurance due to an injury or long-term illness. It always changes if it's them. I've seen it time and again. My own child was one of those people. He then saw what others have gone through and has a totally different view. He will never be able to get insurance again in his lifetime, nor will his wife after having a transplant. They both thought universal healthcare was a terrible idea. Now they see why it's needed. Neither of them are able to work. Without family and friends, they would not have made it. My son's medicare stopped 1 month after he went home from the hospital. When he went home, he could not even turn over in bed by himself. So tell ME that universal healthcare is a bad thing for 'everyone', when I have watched my own child and his wife do without. My son still needs more surgeries that he can't afford. He can hardly breathe because of the scar tissue caused by the tracheotomy and dares not lay flat at night. He still doesn't have the use of one arm. He still has memory problems due to the brain bleeds. His hip that was put back together still fails and he falls, risking danger in two ways..another head injury and internal bleeding because he has to be on blood thinners.
Go ahead, tell me how universal health care is bad for everyone when my DIL would die without help to take medications that keep her from rejecting her transplant. How many people are on 23 medications a day just to stay alive? Do you think they should just die? Would any of you wish that your child or his wife would die because you think universal healthcare is bad for 'everyone'?
It's a touchy subject with me, for sure. My children will be dealing with this for the rest of their lifetimes. Yet they still have hopes of being self-sufficient; taking care of themselves and being dependent on no-one. They plan for a future and are trying to figure out how they can make a living when neither of them can do physical work. They are not lazy. They are not scamming the system. They are not preying on other Americans. They are simply decent human beings who had terrible things that were beyond their control happen to them.
If those of you who think universal healthcare is bad have something like what happened to my son and his wife happen to you, I doubt seriously you will remain the same in any way. Nor will your families.
There was a child here in my town who was run over by a car. His father was driving the car and backed up when he didn't see the child. The child is damaged forever and will never be able to walk again. His mind will never mature due to the head injuries. Think about not only the child, but the father whose company offered no insurance to its employees. Do you think his child should die because his father could not afford insurance on his own for a family of four? How would you like to be in his position.
More people in this country than not cannot afford health insurance. Before I enrolled in medicare, private insurance was $980 a month for me because I've had a heart condition since birth. How many of you could afford that? Should I have died if not able to get medical help? How many people should die so you don't have to help your fellow human beings while billions are being sent to other countries for healthcare of their citizens? While billions of dollars are being spent on wars that we should never have been in? While your congressmen are assured they will always have health care even if you don't?
Yes..I'm pretty much on the side of humanity. And I'm for taking care of Americans first, and then doing what we can for others.
I love when a post is written with the passion of...a mother. No one does it better when a mom is fighting for her kids.

Love to you WN!

“"None shall pass"”

There

#432761 Jan 4, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> Nope. When they used a proxy with my avatar, it didn't change.
Greyboxers don't get avatars.

Proxies get grey placenames
Non-Proxied get blue placenames

Both "Huh"s are non-proxied from the same town.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min New Age Spiritual... 880,592
Is Steve Harvey's 'Family Fued' racially biased?? (Oct '13) 5 min South American Italy 11
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 7 min South American Italy 8,321
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min Regina 603,535
The Christian Atheist debate 29 min Critical Eye 4,041
Rajkot gay Topix (Feb '15) 1 hr loganxxxx 238
Gay sex in raigarh 1 hr tiger 32
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 7 hr Lyndi 177,899
More from around the web