Why I’m no longer a Christian

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#432043 Jan 2, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said on the other thread you posted that:
You toss the real definition and substitute your own.
That is the deciet of Christianity. It is why I don't believe in it.
Satan and angels (etc.) are deities. Just like Jupiter, Mercury, Pluto, Mars, Zeus, Venus, Eros, Athena, etc..... and your own pantheon of supernatural characters.
All are supernatural beings with supernatural powers.
Toss in my own? I did not write any dictionaries and everyone knows wiki is not a reliable source, I've certainly been told that enough on topix. Deity = God, gods, divine beings.
Angels are servants of God and fallen angels (statan) are naughty former servants of God called demons.
The word has never changed and you may want to look into the origin of the word Deity.
:p

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#432044 Jan 2, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, typo. Angels and demons are not gods and in Christianity there is only One True God = Deity.
Lol...
Again, I must ask...why would your god say "you shall have no other gods before me". if there were not other gods just as prevalent as he, and he was simply jealous of them?
Perhaps realizing that he(it) was less than perfect(which would not make it a supreme entity) it had to resort to extortion tactics...not admirable in my book.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#432045 Jan 2, 2013
A deity is a supernatural being, like a god or goddess, which is worshipped by people who believe it controls or exerts force over some aspect of the world.
http://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/deity

celestial being, divine being, divinity, god, goddess, godhead, idol, immortal, supreme being
http://dictionary.reverso.net/english-definit...

any supernatural being worshipped as controlling some part of the world or some aspect of life or who is the personification of a force
http://www.audioenglish.net/dictionary/deity....

“"None shall pass"”

There

#432046 Jan 2, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, typo. Angels and demons are not gods and in Christianity there is only One True God = Deity.
Lol...
Sure.
And the Romans only had Jupiter, the Greeks Zeus. The other beings in their religions wer all leser beings.
That makes them monotheistic as Christianity... if not more so since they only had one Supreme God, not not a Trio.

No matter which way you throw the dirt, you are just digging yourself a deeper hole.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#432047 Jan 2, 2013
G. Even Pagan gods only considered Angels to be messengers.
<quoted text>
Here is a brief history lesson about the demons/angels in the religions of the world.
In the pagan mythologies of ancient Greece and Rome, their gods and goddesses supposedly sent messengers (or angels or guides) to humanity. Cupid was the messenger of love.
Mercury: Messenger of the gods:
“The root of the idea of Mercury lies in Greek mythology with the messenger god, Hermes. The Romans, whose culture was in many ways derivative of the Greeks, borrowed the old stories and myths from the Greek god Hermes and laid them on top of their own similar god, Mercury. The process by which this was done is now shrouded somewhat by the mists of time, suffice it to say that these two names came to be recognized as designating one and the same mythical being.”
“Mercury was one of the most popular of the ancient deities and was featured in many stories. He is supposed to have killed Argus on the orders of Zeus, by lulling him to sleep and then chopping off his head. He assisted Odysseus in his travels as that wanderer returned from the siege of Troy. It is interesting to note that Mercury generally does not act on his own, but at the behest of some other god. He acts for his brother Apollo in saving the life of his child. Zeus often sends him to deliver dreams or to travel with a mortal to help keep him or her safe. This keeps him in accord with his mythical function as messenger.—link
Mercury: Messenger of the gods:
“The root of the idea of Mercury lies in Greek mythology with the messenger god, Hermes. The Romans, whose culture was in many ways derivative of the Greeks, borrowed the old stories and myths from the Greek god Hermes and laid them on top of their own similar god, Mercury. The process by which this was done is now shrouded somewhat by the mists of time, suffice it to say that these two names came to be recognized as designating one and the same mythical being.”
“Mercury was one of the most popular of the ancient deities and was featured in many stories. He is supposed to have killed Argus on the orders of Zeus, by lulling him to sleep and then chopping off his head. He assisted Odysseus in his travels as that wanderer returned from the siege of Troy. It is interesting to note that Mercury generally does not act on his own, but at the behest of some other god. He acts for his brother Apollo in saving the life of his child.
http://www.everlastingkingdom.info/article/23...

Location hidden

#432048 Jan 2, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Toss in my own? I did not write any dictionaries and everyone knows wiki is not a reliable source, I've certainly been told that enough on topix. Deity = God, gods, divine beings.
Angels are servants of God and fallen angels (statan) are naughty former servants of God called demons.
The word has never changed and you may want to look into the origin of the word Deity.
Angels(being servants of god and designed by a perfect god) should have never had the ability to even question nor revolt against that god. That would only prove that the designer was imperfect and not deserving of worship as impeccable and omnipotent.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#432049 Jan 2, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, I must ask...why would your god say "you shall have no other gods before me". if there were not other gods just as prevalent as he, and he was simply jealous of them?
Perhaps realizing that he(it) was less than perfect(which would not make it a supreme entity) it had to resort to extortion tactics...not admirable in my book.
I didn't say there were no other gods, I said angels and demons are not gods. Deity = God, god, divine beings.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#432050 Jan 2, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, and all the Greek and Roman supernatural beings were below Zeaus/Jupiter so Mars, Venus etc. were not deities either by your definition and explanation.

Damn, I wish you people would just admit that you have a hierarchical pantheon of whateverthefuckyouwanttocallth em.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#432051 Jan 2, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
A deity is a supernatural being, like a god or goddess, which is worshipped by people who believe it controls or exerts force over some aspect of the world.
celestial being, divine being, divinity, god, goddess, godhead, idol, immortal, supreme being
any supernatural being worshipped as controlling some part of the world or some aspect of life or who is the personification of a force
<quoted text>
The word deity means "divine nature." It was coined by Saint Augustine, a theologian whose writings were very influential in the shaping of Western Christianity. Deity comes from the Latin word for "god": deus. The divine nature of deities is believed to be immortal goodness and powerfulness.

DEFINITIONS OF:
deity
n any supernatural being worshipped as controlling some part of the world or some aspect of life or who is the personification of a force
Synonyms:
divinity, god, immortal
Examples:
show 331 examples...
Types:
show 64 types...
Type of:
spiritual being, supernatural being
an incorporeal being believed to have powers to affect the course of human eventshttp://www.vocabulary.co m/dictionary/deity

Your source in this case is not so different from dictionaries, divinity, immortal, God, supernatural being like a God or goddess.

Location hidden

#432052 Jan 2, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
That's not the half of it.
We are talking about the [supreme] deity here...no defects or flaws...I can NOT regard this deity (crister) as the [perfect] deity by it's own book's descriptive passages...in fact, it proves exactly the opposite.
In fact, I hold my own actions and behavior above the deity portrayed in the book.
How could one possibly even accept-let alone worship such an atrocious entity? I can not-and will not.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#432053 Jan 2, 2013
G. Angels and demons are not gods.
<quoted text>
Angels
The term angel, which is derived from the Greek word angelos, is the equivalent of the Hebrew word mal’akh, meaning “messenger.” The literal meaning of the word angel thus points more toward the function or status of such beings in a cosmic hierarchy rather than toward connotations of essence or nature, which have been prominent in popular piety, especially in Western religions. Thus, angels have their significance primarily in what they do rather than in what they are. Whatever essence or inherent nature they possess is in terms of their relationship to their source (God, or the ultimate being). Because of the Western iconography (the system of image symbols) of angels, however, they have been granted essential identities that often surpass their functional relationships to the sacred or holy and their performative relationships to the profane world. In other words, popular piety, feeding on graphic and symbolic representations of angels, has to some extent posited semidivine or even divine status to angelic figures. Though such occurrences are not usually sanctioned doctrinally or theologically, some angelic figures, such as Mithra (a Persian god who in Zoroastrianism became an angelic mediator between heaven and earth and judge and preserver of the created world), have achieved semidivine or divine status with their own cults.
In Zoroastrianism there was a belief in the amesha spentas, or the holy or bounteous immortals, who were functional aspects or entities of Ahura Mazd&#257;, the Wise Lord. One of the amesha spentas, Vohu Manah (Good Mind), revealed to the Iranian prophet Zoroaster (6th century bc) the true God, his nature, and a kind of ethical covenant, which man may accept and obey or reject and disobey. In a similar manner, about 1,200 years later, the angel Gabriel (Man of God) revealed to the Arabian prophet Mu&#7717;ammad (5th–6th century ad) the Qur&#702;&#257;n (the Isl&#257;mic scriptures) and the true God (All&#257;h), his oneness, and the ethical and cultic requirements of Isl&#257;m. The epithets used to describe Gabriel, the messenger of God—“the spirit of holiness” and “the faithful spirit”—are similar to those applied to the amesha spentas of Zoroastrianism and the third Person of the Trinity (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) in Christianity. In these monotheistic religions (though Zoroastrianism later became dualistic) as also in Judaism, the functional characteristics of angels are more clearly enunciated than their ontological (or nature of Being) characteristics—except in the many instances in which popular piety and legend have glossed over the functional aspects.

Demons
The term demon is derived from the Greek word daim&#333;n, which means a “supernatural being” or “spirit.” Though it has commonly been associated with an evil or malevolent spirit, the term originally meant a spiritual being that influenced a person’s character. An agathos daim&#333;n (“good spirit”), for example, was benevolent in its relationship to men. The Greek philosopher Socrates, for example, spoke of his daim&#333;n as a spirit that inspired him to seek and speak the truth. The term gradually was applied to the lesser spirits of the supernatural realm who exerted pressures on men to perform actions that were not conducive to their well-being. The dominant interpretation has been weighted in favour of malevolence and that which forbodes evil, misfortune, and mischief.
In religions of nonliterate peoples, spiritual beings may be viewed as either malevolent or benevolent according to the circumstances facing the individual or community. Thus, the usual classification that places demons among malevolent beings is not totally applicable in reference to these religions.
The positions of spiritual beings or entities viewed as benevolent or malevolent may, in the course of time be reversed.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/244...

Location hidden

#432054 Jan 2, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say there were no other gods, I said angels and demons are not gods. Deity = God, god, divine beings.
According to your 66 books, your deity leaves a LOT to be desired in the realm of deity and worship.---I'll pass on that one.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#432055 Jan 2, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, and all the Greek and Roman supernatural beings were below Zeaus/Jupiter so Mars, Venus etc. were not deities either by your definition and explanation.
Damn, I wish you people would just admit that you have a hierarchical pantheon of whateverthefuckyouwanttocallth em.
Mars and Venus etc...were messengers for the gods, Mars was Hermes messenger for example. Angel means messenger eg; Cupid

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#432056 Jan 2, 2013
G. This is your source as well.
<quoted text>
deity
n pl ,-ties
1 a god or goddess
2 the state of being divine; godhead
3 the rank, status, or position of a god
4 the nature or character of God
(C14: from Old French, from Late Latin deitas, from Latin deus god)

Deity
n the. the Supreme Being; God
English Collins Dictionary - English Definition & Thesaurus

Deity
n the. the Supreme Being; God

deity
n pl ,-ties
1 a god or goddess
2 the state of being divine; godhead
3 the rank, status, or position of a god
4 the nature or character of God
(C14: from Old French, from Late Latin deitas, from Latin deus god)

English Collins Dictionary - English Definition & Thesaurus

deity

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#432057 Jan 2, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
According to your 66 books, your deity leaves a LOT to be desired in the realm of deity and worship.---I'll pass on that one.
That's ok, it is your choice and has naught to do with me :D

Location hidden

#432058 Jan 2, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
G. Angels and demons are not gods.
<quoted text>
Angels
cut for space...
Exactly!
And that is exactly what the judgement of your deity is facing with higher moral standards of individuals of the society today...he fails to make the grade....simple as that.

Location hidden

#432059 Jan 2, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
That's ok, it is your choice and has naught to do with me :D
No it is not.
I will respect your person-just not your choices.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#432060 Jan 2, 2013
G. Angels and demons are messengers, guardian spirits, malevolent spirits etc...not Deities or gods or God, not divine or immortal or to be worshipped.

In ancient Greece a Daimon, as they were called, was considered neither good nor evil. These were considered to be "guardian spirits" and everyone had one. Demons were not labeled evil until dualistic religions came into being and all spiritual beings were labeled either good or evil. This was when demons gained the reputation of trying to keep man from having a bond with god.

Different cultures view spiritual matters and even spiritual beings differently. What may be a god in one culture, another may view as a devil. Angels, demons, djinn, devas, and fay are all basically the same but are rooted in varying cultures and traditions.

In Pythagoreanism angels and demons are reputed to dwell in the air, in between gods and men. This is why demons, as well as angels, are usually depicted with wings.

A demon is the same as an angel usually. The word angel is translated from the word Malakh, which comes from the Greek "angelos". The Malakh is the dark side of god. This is the side which faces and interacts with humans. Since it is turned away from divinity, it eventually became associated with evil.

There are differences between angels and true demons. The main difference lies in the fact that a demon is usually a being that holds power or influence over the negative side of divinity and life.

Demons are also guides to the transformational process which lies in the underworld and death. Demons are represented as "Fallen Angels". A demon is actually a mediator of darkness, a "Dark Angel" in essence. These angels did not "fall" as is popularly believed. They "descended" to become the Keepers of the mysteries of the underworld.

The term "dark angel" is not limited to the fallen angels known as demons. There are other types of dark angels. These are the ones that do not reside in the underworld, but are possessed of dual natures, nonetheless. The dark side of these angels carry destructiuon. This is the negative side of the spiritual. The spiritual world, as well as the physical world, must have positive and negative in order to operate correctly.

The angels are also said to carry the swords of punishment. They are also keepers of the legends and secrets.

http://tribes.tribe.net/b9b544af-89e5-4aa7-8d...

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#432061 Jan 2, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
No it is not.
I will respect your person-just not your choices.
Fair enough.
Happy New Year!!!
<3

Location hidden

#432062 Jan 2, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair enough.
Happy New Year!!!
<3
AYE!
You too sis!
Make it a good one!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 6 min Darwins Stepchild 28,190
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min Seraphima 637,153
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 15 min An NFL Fan 37,929
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 25 min Highest Comandmen... 44,096
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 30 min VIKING 968,650
Play "end of the word" part 2 1 hr andet1987 1,423
-- ISRAEL SAYS Remove DOME, Build 3rd Temple -- 3 hr April2016News 1
Why do white men hate white women who want blac... (May '11) 9 hr Paul is dead 3,593
More from around the web