Why I’m no longer a Christian

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#431956 Jan 1, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
You realize this post says much about you and nothing about me, right?
Oh I'm sorry, I thought you already came out.

Just Results

“Jesus is Love”

Since: Jul 12

Hutchinson, MN

#431957 Jan 1, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes he is. The only people who are afraid of Satan are people who believe in Satan. People like you.
To the rest of us it is no different than being afraid of Emperor Palpatine.
Could you direct me to the "Why I'm no longer an ex-Palpatinian"? I'd like to see fresh samples of your hatred on that thread too.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#431958 Jan 1, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Nope, I'm not religious at all.
I didn't say you were. I said you were ignorant and dishonest.

Let me know where I'm going wrong, child.

Just Results

“Jesus is Love”

Since: Jul 12

Hutchinson, MN

#431959 Jan 1, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Nope, I'm not religious at all.
Translation: I'm as much a gutless coward as I can be.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#431960 Jan 1, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>He didn't turn your words around. He repeated back to you what you said.

Maybe you didn't mean it the way you wrote it.

No, belief is not truth. It's belief.

Belief can happen without any truth whatsoever. I'll demonstrate for you.

I have a friend who is convinced that aliens are living among us. She has all sorts of things she sees as 'proof'. Her belief is no more valid than yours, nor does it hold any more truth than yours as it has no more actual evidence than yours.

Your 'truth' is very subjective, just as mine is, when it comes to belief in something for which there is no proof to anyone but you or me. I just have the honesty to admit that.

Spiritual truth is individual to each person. It is truth for them and no one else. It is not a universal truth for everyone else or everyone would _know_ exactly the same thing. There would be no use for belief if it were a universal truth (fact). Facts destroy faith, and quite rightfully so. If you had facts, you wouldn't have to state that it's what you believe no matter what anyone else tells you. You could give the evidence for it and everyone else would understand it and call it their truth too.

This is where so many people will call you a liar. I won't call you a liar because you believe and are a Christian. I will say, however, that you are dishonest if you think that you have a universal answer instead of just answers for yourself. All the spiritual questions to which you get answers are for you alone, as you are the one asking the question. You're asking for yourself to understand. You certainly are not asking for everyone else on earth if you are really searching for a spiritual answer to something _you_ don't understand.

When you can understand that you do not have universal answers, and that the term 'personal relationship' may be more truthful than a lot of people realize, then you can step down from the podium and be at peace. You will no longer need to convince others to feel secure and safe in what you believe. It's not a relationship as many people suggest when they say that phrase, but it is deeply personal.

Religion divides humanity. Jesus said we are all children of the most high God. You can continue not to believe that in which you claim to say is your truth, or you can remember that we are all akin to each other. We are all made of the same substance of the universe. We all laugh, cry, dance, love, have sorrows and joys, gain weight when we overeat, cry at sad movies, think babies are wonderful when they smile for the first time or cute when they say their first words.

No one is as different as you would like to claim because they do not believe as do you. We are all human beings. Some people do not recognize the worth within themselves, some people do. There are good and bad people in every walk of life, and in every church and social organization. Those who tend to be good people will take their religious beliefs and try to walk a path that will lead them to be better people. Those who are bad people will use their religion to accommodate and excuse the evil they do and claim that they are 'not perfect, but saved', as if that excuses the pain and destruction they cause.

Jesus only gave two commandments: Love God, love one another. Now, if we as a human race could just obey the latter, there would be no hunger, no division, no holier-than-thous, no need to argue over what rights races have, women have, children have.
I said belief is truth for me.
I've always said and agreed that spiritual truth is individual and do not expect everyone or anyone to believe what I believe, I'm very accepting of others' choices. I have never said or thought that I have universal answers, I have always believed and maintained that faith or non faith and beliefs are deeply personal. I'm not the one on a podium preaching that I'm right, you are though.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#431961 Jan 1, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>He didn't turn your words around. He repeated back to you what you said.

Maybe you didn't mean it the way you wrote it.

No, belief is not truth. It's belief.

Belief can happen without any truth whatsoever. I'll demonstrate for you.

I have a friend who is convinced that aliens are living among us. She has all sorts of things she sees as 'proof'. Her belief is no more valid than yours, nor does it hold any more truth than yours as it has no more actual evidence than yours.

Your 'truth' is very subjective, just as mine is, when it comes to belief in something for which there is no proof to anyone but you or me. I just have the honesty to admit that.

Spiritual truth is individual to each person. It is truth for them and no one else. It is not a universal truth for everyone else or everyone would _know_ exactly the same thing. There would be no use for belief if it were a universal truth (fact). Facts destroy faith, and quite rightfully so. If you had facts, you wouldn't have to state that it's what you believe no matter what anyone else tells you. You could give the evidence for it and everyone else would understand it and call it their truth too.

This is where so many people will call you a liar. I won't call you a liar because you believe and are a Christian. I will say, however, that you are dishonest if you think that you have a universal answer instead of just answers for yourself. All the spiritual questions to which you get answers are for you alone, as you are the one asking the question. You're asking for yourself to understand. You certainly are not asking for everyone else on earth if you are really searching for a spiritual answer to something _you_ don't understand.

When you can understand that you do not have universal answers, and that the term 'personal relationship' may be more truthful than a lot of people realize, then you can step down from the podium and be at peace. You will no longer need to convince others to feel secure and safe in what you believe. It's not a relationship as many people suggest when they say that phrase, but it is deeply personal.

Religion divides humanity. Jesus said we are all children of the most high God. You can continue not to believe that in which you claim to say is your truth, or you can remember that we are all akin to each other. We are all made of the same substance of the universe. We all laugh, cry, dance, love, have sorrows and joys, gain weight when we overeat, cry at sad movies, think babies are wonderful when they smile for the first time or cute when they say their first words.

No one is as different as you would like to claim because they do not believe as do you. We are all human beings. Some people do not recognize the worth within themselves, some people do. There are good and bad people in every walk of life, and in every church and social organization. Those who tend to be good people will take their religious beliefs and try to walk a path that will lead them to be better people. Those who are bad people will use their religion to accommodate and excuse the evil they do and claim that they are 'not perfect, but saved', as if that excuses the pain and destruction they cause.

Jesus only gave two commandments: Love God, love one another. Now, if we as a human race could just obey the latter, there would be no hunger, no division, no holier-than-thous, no need to argue over what rights races have, women have, children have.
Yes we are all humans, made of the same stuff and should try not to judge one another, especially over something as personal as faith. I don't use the excuse of "not perfect but saved". I also try my very best not to cause destruction or pain, I'm not built to deliberately hurt others.
I love God and try to love others as well. I agree with most of what you've written in this post, I don't agree with the assumptions you make about me though.

Just Results

“Jesus is Love”

Since: Jul 12

Hutchinson, MN

#431962 Jan 1, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>I'm in Texas and I have 3 gray bars on my phone right now.
Besides the northeast, Texas has some of the most dense areas of hateful atheists in the country. I suspect your state is rapidly growing in criminal activity.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#431963 Jan 1, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Everyone makes bad choices at times in their lives. Not everyone does all of those things listed above.

Many people have never engaged in many of those things, but now that you only engage in 4 of them, you seem to think that you are better than those who don't engage in them (and may never have) and are simply not of the same belief system you have chosen.

This is not following the teachings of Jesus. If you engage in any of them, are you not just the same as someone of a different religion that engages in the four you still claim to engage? Where in the Bible does it say that one 'sin' is less or more than another (other than blasphemy)? Are you sins therefore less than those of someone who does not belong to your religion?

Or do you think because you ask your deity to forgive you that you're okay and they are not? What if they are asking their deity for forgiveness and have as much faith that their sins will be forgiven as you believe yours are?

Out of the 39,000 sects of Christianity, you have chosen one. You are as much an unbeliever to the other 39,000 sects as they think you are. Do you think for a moment that your claims are more valid than theirs? Do you think that the Buddhists are any less valid in their faith than you?

Why do you continue to (and maybe unknowingly and without any true thought on the matter) think that you are so much better now that you are only committing four of those sins? Sin is sin.

While I applaud any improvement you have made in your life, I don't see it as any more worthy of applause than any other person, religious or not, who has made the same improvements. I find that those who have recently become a member of a religion are very prone to seeing themselves as now so much better than those who haven't joined the same sect as to absolutely shine in their own eyes.
I don't think I'm better than anyone, I was making a point to Bog.
I didn't say that my sins are less than other people's, I said I'm always regretful of my sins.

Just Results

“Jesus is Love”

Since: Jul 12

Hutchinson, MN

#431964 Jan 1, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
You just proved otherwise
No I didn't. You just think I did. You have dain bramage.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#431965 Jan 1, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Everyone makes bad choices at times in their lives. Not everyone does all of those things listed above.

Many people have never engaged in many of those things, but now that you only engage in 4 of them, you seem to think that you are better than those who don't engage in them (and may never have) and are simply not of the same belief system you have chosen.

This is not following the teachings of Jesus. If you engage in any of them, are you not just the same as someone of a different religion that engages in the four you still claim to engage? Where in the Bible does it say that one 'sin' is less or more than another (other than blasphemy)? Are you sins therefore less than those of someone who does not belong to your religion?

Or do you think because you ask your deity to forgive you that you're okay and they are not? What if they are asking their deity for forgiveness and have as much faith that their sins will be forgiven as you believe yours are?

Out of the 39,000 sects of Christianity, you have chosen one. You are as much an unbeliever to the other 39,000 sects as they think you are. Do you think for a moment that your claims are more valid than theirs? Do you think that the Buddhists are any less valid in their faith than you?

Why do you continue to (and maybe unknowingly and without any true thought on the matter) think that you are so much better now that you are only committing four of those sins? Sin is sin.

While I applaud any improvement you have made in your life, I don't see it as any more worthy of applause than any other person, religious or not, who has made the same improvements. I find that those who have recently become a member of a religion are very prone to seeing themselves as now so much better than those who haven't joined the same sect as to absolutely shine in their own eyes.
I never said that anyone else is not forgiven and I am, I couldn't possibly know that, I'm not God.

Just Results

“Jesus is Love”

Since: Jul 12

Hutchinson, MN

#431966 Jan 1, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say you were. I said you were ignorant and dishonest.
Let me know where I'm going wrong, child.
And you are exactly right. Mylan is ignorant and dishonest.

Have you noticed that you only have to read the first three or four words of an atheist post before picking up on the hatred they habitually NEED to express?

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#431967 Jan 1, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Oh I'm sorry, I thought you already came out.
You're fantasizing again, goofy.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#431968 Jan 1, 2013
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't let fake things bother me.
I know you can't say that with a straight face. You are in denial. It is medically proven. Jesus never existed, just like Santa Clause never existed. I bet you had a HARD time when you first realized that Santa was made up huh? Is that why you are so afraid to face the truth about jesus being fake too? Or is it because you like being a slave because you think it's easier? Which is it?

Just Results

“Jesus is Love”

Since: Jul 12

Hutchinson, MN

#431969 Jan 1, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think I'm better than anyone, I was making a point to Bog.
I didn't say that my sins are less than other people's, I said I'm always regretful of my sins.
Atheists love and embrace their sins. They will be punished for that though.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#431970 Jan 1, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Everyone makes bad choices at times in their lives. Not everyone does all of those things listed above.

Many people have never engaged in many of those things, but now that you only engage in 4 of them, you seem to think that you are better than those who don't engage in them (and may never have) and are simply not of the same belief system you have chosen.

This is not following the teachings of Jesus. If you engage in any of them, are you not just the same as someone of a different religion that engages in the four you still claim to engage? Where in the Bible does it say that one 'sin' is less or more than another (other than blasphemy)? Are you sins therefore less than those of someone who does not belong to your religion?

Or do you think because you ask your deity to forgive you that you're okay and they are not? What if they are asking their deity for forgiveness and have as much faith that their sins will be forgiven as you believe yours are?

Out of the 39,000 sects of Christianity, you have chosen one. You are as much an unbeliever to the other 39,000 sects as they think you are. Do you think for a moment that your claims are more valid than theirs? Do you think that the Buddhists are any less valid in their faith than you?

Why do you continue to (and maybe unknowingly and without any true thought on the matter) think that you are so much better now that you are only committing four of those sins? Sin is sin.

While I applaud any improvement you have made in your life, I don't see it as any more worthy of applause than any other person, religious or not, who has made the same improvements. I find that those who have recently become a member of a religion are very prone to seeing themselves as now so much better than those who haven't joined the same sect as to absolutely shine in their own eyes.
I'm not in any "sect" of Christianity and if I eventually choose one, I'll let you know. I don't think nor have I said that my claims are more valid than other Christian "sects", I did say I don't agree with some of their claims though, there is a difference. I never said anything about Buddhism but if you're asking I happen to like a lot of their teachings many are similar to Jesus' teachings.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#431971 Jan 1, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Everyone makes bad choices at times in their lives. Not everyone does all of those things listed above.

Many people have never engaged in many of those things, but now that you only engage in 4 of them, you seem to think that you are better than those who don't engage in them (and may never have) and are simply not of the same belief system you have chosen.

This is not following the teachings of Jesus. If you engage in any of them, are you not just the same as someone of a different religion that engages in the four you still claim to engage? Where in the Bible does it say that one 'sin' is less or more than another (other than blasphemy)? Are you sins therefore less than those of someone who does not belong to your religion?

Or do you think because you ask your deity to forgive you that you're okay and they are not? What if they are asking their deity for forgiveness and have as much faith that their sins will be forgiven as you believe yours are?

Out of the 39,000 sects of Christianity, you have chosen one. You are as much an unbeliever to the other 39,000 sects as they think you are. Do you think for a moment that your claims are more valid than theirs? Do you think that the Buddhists are any less valid in their faith than you?

Why do you continue to (and maybe unknowingly and without any true thought on the matter) think that you are so much better now that you are only committing four of those sins? Sin is sin.

While I applaud any improvement you have made in your life, I don't see it as any more worthy of applause than any other person, religious or not, who has made the same improvements. I find that those who have recently become a member of a religion are very prone to seeing themselves as now so much better than those who haven't joined the same sect as to absolutely shine in their own eyes.
I don't find myself deserving of applause nor do I see myself as so much better than anyone. You are generalising in your last sentence and you assume to know my thoughts, I have never said that I think I'm better than anyone nor do I think it.

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#431972 Jan 1, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said that anyone else is not forgiven and I am, I couldn't possibly know that, I'm not God.
I'm with your brother, Juicylu.

Waiting for you to come to your senses.

I'm not too hopeful, I hate to say; I don't see progress.

Don't mean to offend.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#431973 Jan 1, 2013
Just Results wrote:
I don't let fake things bother me.
Why do you? Is it because you know you are lying to yourself?
You are burdened , I am free. You are chained, I am not enslaved.
You are foolish, I am wise.
You are falling into eternal death, I choose eternal life.
Ha.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#431974 Jan 1, 2013
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
I take Jesus. He has already won against your evil satan.
Oh, no more Satan?

Good.

You may leave now.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#431975 Jan 1, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't lie about you and the time and place you live.

In your own post you agreed that the time there was the same as EST time here. Then, in a subsequent post, you adjusted the time to agree with CST here. And you don't think we should be suspicious of that?

I have never shown 'blatant hatred of Christians'. I have shown blatant disgust with some Christians. There are Christians here, like NoStress4me, Senecus and others that I not only admire for their effort to truly try and follow Jesus' teachings, but like very much as well. So that is either a lack of observation on your part, or dishonesty.

People who tell you who to engage are trying to control you, nothing more. They dislike me for the same reason you do. I have pointed out your dishonesty. You don't like that and call it an attack. I have found, through 66 years of living that people who tell you who you should or should not talk to are people who are insecure, domineering, and power hogs. I would never tell you with whom you should converse. I figure you probably have enough sense to make that decision on your own.

You can copy/paste my words any time you like. Just don't copy/paste part of them out of context.

You came here with an attitude. That attitude turned into the same nasty, hate-filled posts that I truly expect from most Topix Christians.

Maybe you should take the time to read the remarks of some of the Christians who never resort to that kind of thing. Maybe you should read the actual content of their posts to see how they converse with others, both Christians and non-Christians. I would specifically like you to look at their responses to those who really do attack them. Most of the people who attack them the most are other Christians, because they will not engage in the same bad behavior of the ugliest of Christians.

NoStress4Me has been ruthlessly attacked by other Christians because she turns the other cheek, tries to learn from everyone she meets and is truly a nice person to everyone. She tries to follow Jesus' teachings in every post. So does Senecus. I would suggest you look at their responses to those who have truly shown hatred toward them. I have never seen either of them preach to anyone. I have seen them discuss, listen, respond...all with respect and kindness no matter the content of the post to which they are responding. If I were going to ask anyone about belief, faith and what Christianity is, they would be the people I would ask. But I don't have to ask them. They live it.

Most of my family and friends are Christians. I have never once had one of my children, my parents or my friends behave as you have behaved here. If I were going to return to Christianity, I would look to them for support. I would never look to you for support. Does that in any way seep into your thinking process?
Show me these posts of time you speak of regarding EST and CST. Next time you go spy on my conversations with people in other threads, you might want to check if they're in the same country as me, Gottaliv is, I met her on the Australia Forum.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 1 min bad bob 69
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 min Stubborn Things 110,380
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 22 min New Age Spiritual... 675,728
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr New Age Spiritual... 982,092
10 yr old suspened from little leugue over comm... 1 hr scott12171969 2
____ POPE FRANCIS rebuked publicly ____ 2 hr YTube 1
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 2 hr USS LIBERTY 121,928
More from around the web