Why I’m no longer a Christian

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#431848 Jan 1, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
That's your 'opinion' and you are entitled to it. You don't 'know' if it's true or not anymore than anyone else, my 'fantasy' as you say, is simply what I choose to believe and if I'm wrong and I spend my life trying to be a better person and talking to myself (praying), for naught, then so be it.
Incorrect. It is easy to prove your fantasy to be untrue. You just did it for me.

"My 'fantasy' as you say, is simply what I choose to believe and if I'm wrong.."

Truth does not require belief. It just is, regardless of or in spite of belief.

In reality, you're simply parroting an affirmation of Christianity with no basis in truth or fact.

But thanks for sharing.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#431849 Jan 1, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I don't think so, I think Christ expects us to stop sinning but it doesn't happen overnight and God knows that, which is why we need the Holy Spirit to help us along. It's a process, I spent most of my life a slave to my earthly desires (sin) and now, even though in 3 years I'm like a different person, I still have a long way to go, Christianity does not = perfection, we too are prone to sin, the only difference for me anyway, is that I feel deeply remorseful when I mess up and I admit it and I try to do better next time. I was never like that before. The Bible teaches that if I truly repent in my heart, I am forgiven but there may still be a lot I'll have to answer to. So no, I wouldn't say it's a jail free card.
I doubt Christ expects anything, least of all that we might stop sinning.

“What do I know?”

Since: Apr 08

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#431850 Jan 1, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I can certainly speak of the Southern Baptists from authority, so I can't disagree. As an organization, they rank up there with the Catholic Church and Ryan Seacrest.
I think it goes deeper than denomination though.
My personal opinion, which is worth less than an empty McDonalds bag, is that the most destructive element of monotheism was the literalizing of mythology. Is literalizing a word?
One thing you have shown is that children learn from the mistakes of their parents. That is a good thing.
I think, despite my rejection of the whole bible/Jesus/Christianity complex I was brought up in, I am still a Southern Baptist in my marrow.

And it ain't particularly healthy.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#431851 Jan 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Until demonstrated otherwise, the bible is the only thing we can judge a person who follows it by. It would be nice if such things were not required, but being in the minority one must know where they stand, and atheists are one of the smallest groups so we have little choice in the matter until either the dynamic changes for a more balanced world, or the majority of christians stop using their bibles as justification for heinous acts.
However assuming an atheist has no beliefs at all until demonstrated otherwise would be a valid assumption on your part, one could not fault you for that, it's the same type of assumption.
I don't assume Atheists have no beliefs at all but I do know they don't believe in the Bible or Christianity, I was an Atheist as is my brother. I assume nothing and I try not to judge people at all but sometimes I do fail in this as well. Let me put a question to you, personally, you have claimed to be an Atheist, you have claimed the Bible is a fairy tale, or something like that, how do you judge a Christian by a Book you claim to be false? That's what I'm trying to understand. My brother just says I'm delusional in general and says for me to get back to him when I've 'come to my senses'.

“What do I know?”

Since: Apr 08

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#431852 Jan 1, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Even those who engage in sexual immorality, impurity, promiscuity, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, rivalry, jealously, outbursts of anger, quarrels, conflicts, factions, envy, murder, drunkenness, wild partying, and things like that.?
I have never been able to rid myself of the wearing of loud Hawaiian shirts.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#431853 Jan 1, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt Christ expects anything, least of all that we might stop sinning.
That is a perfect example of a perfectly valid argument from a non Christian. You sound like my brother :)
Happy New Year!!!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#431854 Jan 1, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't assume Atheists have no beliefs at all but I do know they don't believe in the Bible or Christianity, I was an Atheist as is my brother. I assume nothing and I try not to judge people at all but sometimes I do fail in this as well. Let me put a question to you, personally, you have claimed to be an Atheist, you have claimed the Bible is a fairy tale, or something like that, how do you judge a Christian by a Book you claim to be false? That's what I'm trying to understand. My brother just says I'm delusional in general and says for me to get back to him when I've 'come to my senses'.
I just said you could and need no justification, not that you do. ;)

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#431855 Jan 1, 2013
love_spell wrote:
<quoted text>
maybe the basket can get all spruced up! can't beat watching it from the basket!!!!!!!!!!
I'm good with that. I haven't taken the basket out for a run in a while now. It probably needs to be on the road for a while.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#431856 Jan 1, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Why would I root for anyone else?
They won.*doin' the dance!*

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#431857 Jan 1, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Incorrect. It is easy to prove your fantasy to be untrue. You just did it for me.
"My 'fantasy' as you say, is simply what I choose to believe and if I'm wrong.."
Truth does not require belief. It just is, regardless of or in spite of belief.
In reality, you're simply parroting an affirmation of Christianity with no basis in truth or fact.
But thanks for sharing.
It is true for me, just as it is not true for you. That's all I'm saying. Turning my words around to suit you doesn't change that. Fantasy is 'your' word, not mine. Unless someone proves there is no God at all, or there was no Jesus at all, which has not yet happened, no matter what 'theories' one wishes to use in this greatest of all debates, then in the Christian scenario, belief is truth. As is non belief. I'm sure you know that.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#431859 Jan 1, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a perfect example of a perfectly valid argument from a non Christian. You sound like my brother :)
Happy New Year!!!
Thank you. I would very much be a non-Christian if Christianity is simply the province of organized religion. I believe Christ's real message has been drowned out by beliefs and dogmatic thought.

Happy New Year to you too.

Blessings.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#431860 Jan 1, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Even those who engage in sexual immorality, impurity, promiscuity, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, rivalry, jealously, outbursts of anger, quarrels, conflicts, factions, envy, murder, drunkenness, wild partying, and things like that.?

Out of the 16 things you have listed,(yes I engaged in all of them before I accepted Jesus), I only still engage in 4. Maybe in another 3 years I'll be ok :D

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#431861 Jan 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I just said you could and need no justification, not that you do. ;)
:D

Location hidden

#431862 Jan 1, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you insist on making a fool of yourself?
If brains were taxed, you'd get a rebate.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#431863 Jan 1, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you. I would very much be a non-Christian if Christianity is simply the province of organized religion. I believe Christ's real message has been drowned out by beliefs and dogmatic thought.
Happy New Year to you too.
Blessings.
I agree with you completely. My sis in law (the closest thing to Jesus I've ever met) says that you have to ignore all that stuff but I find it very hard to do. Sorry I called you a heretic, I was having a melt down <3

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#431864 Jan 1, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I think the River Phlegethon might be more in line with the fundie idea of an afterlife.
Since so much of their religion is part of Greek myth, I would agree.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#431865 Jan 1, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Your brother has something there.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#431866 Jan 1, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Her posts say otherwise.
I've asked you several times to back up your assertions about me with facts and to be explicit in doing so. You have refused each time.

So, I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask you to back up your assertions by taking the post to which you replied and tell us all the parts with which you disagree and why. Please be specific.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#431867 Jan 1, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your brother has something there.
Lol...

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#431868 Jan 1, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Court system? Topix is a forum and I don't see how it's ok for someone who left the faith to tell me how to be a Christian, constantly, whilst twisting my words, calling me a liar whilst lying about what I've actually said and attacking me over everything, even the time. If this was a Court of Law, the case would get dismissed.
Please show how anyone has twisted your words. Please remember that you have told several lies here and have been called on them by more than one person.

No one has attacked you. A lot of people have disagreed with you.

If you think what people have done here is an 'attack', you should seriously seek counseling.

If this was a court of law, you would be forced to back up your accusations of me and others. You have made many, backed up none.

You're still playing the poor persecuted Christian. You know nothing of attacks or persecution. Ask a Christian in Kenya who has been accused of being a witch by a Christian pastor and then burned in the street about persecution. Ask a person who has been left tied by Christians to a fence post here in the US and abused and left to die because they were homosexual about persecution.

Oh, wait. You can't ask them. They're dead. That's REAL persecution. Those are REAL attacks. You sit here and whine about being attacked while sitting in your warm house, having a snack and having the ability to leave if people make you so uncomfortable that you cry. You always have the option to walk away, but you seem to need to stay where you think people are attacking you.

So stay. And whine. You're only showing your immaturity and lack of the mental ability to deal with things even children learn to deal with.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 5 min Rider on the Storm 180,104
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 7 min LAWEST100 615,739
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min macumazahn 951,728
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 12 min Torgo2 278,519
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 31 min Gods r Delusions ... 627,926
OFF The Grid in Ontario 34 min Pixles 1
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 45 min Lbj 14,774
More from around the web