Why I’m no longer a Christian

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#431804 Jan 1, 2013
love_spell wrote:
<quoted text>
river styx?!
I think the River Phlegethon might be more in line with the fundie idea of an afterlife.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#431805 Jan 1, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course not. There is grace for all those who ask for it
I have no further questions, your honor.

The witness may step down.

"Judge not lest ye be judged. For the same standard that you use to judge others will be used to judge you."

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#431806 Jan 1, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Churches are central to Christianity and to Jesus' message as portrayed in the canon. Whether that portrayal is accurate or not is anyone's guess.
"[W]here two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."
-- Matthew 18:20 (NIV)
And when I say "churches", I mean Christian communities, not buildings.
Crossan* believes the heart of Christianity is “magic and meal or miracle and table.” By that he means he believes Jesus offered an “ecstatic vision and social program [that] sought to rebuild a society upward from its grass roots … on principles of religious and economic egalitarianism, with free healing brought directly to the peasant homes and free sharing of whatever they had in return”. For Jesus, this usually was food and shelter, at least as portrayed in the NT. In John, for example, Jesus dines at Lazarus’ home, having raised him from the dead, at least according to the myth. This seems to fit the paradigm of miracle and meal that Crossan sees. And of course the last supper fits it to a tee -- pizza and beer with friends before performing the ultimate miracle.
I have noticed that the worst behaved Christian on Topix often express disdain for churches -- Christian communities. A Christian's rejection of churches is not the same as a non-believer's rejection. A nonbeliever rejects the goal, the message, not the social order. A Christian is rejecting the social order as well as a major theme in his own religion.
I interpret this to mean many Christians who have a problem with the concept of a church likely don't fit well in any social structure and, probably, a key role of religion in that Christian's life is to justify why he is right and the world is wrong and why he doesn't fit well in society.
But, hey, I'm not Dr. Phil.
* Crossan, The Historical Jesus (HarperCollins, 1993), p.304 and p. xii.
Good stuff.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#431807 Jan 1, 2013
love_spell wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!!!!!!!
my mom told me [when i was a little girl] that is why the *whispers* catholics are hell bound.
after a couple of seconds, i asked why they felt it was "ok" to send us to a catholic school if catholics were so sinful.......
she said that as long as i closed my ears to their religious teachings, it was ok..........
Makes perfect sense, eh?

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#431808 Jan 1, 2013
Cuneiform, Biblical archaeology and an I-Pad
http://whatcounts.com/dm...

“IMAGINE no religion!”

Since: Feb 09

usa

#431809 Jan 1, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Makes perfect sense, eh?
IMO, southern baptists are the worst emtionally abusive people to children.

of course i didn't "close my ears........being the curious child i was, i wanted to learn about the religion and understand why catholics went against the bibull.

didn't make sense to me that they worshipped the same god and believed the same 10 commandments baptists did.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#431810 Jan 1, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Cont...
To me, it's ok for a fellow Christian to rebuke me and vice versa, Jesus taught us to do that but for unbelievers to rebuke us and vice versa? I don't agree with that, especially when non Christians don't want to know a thing that a Christian has to say. If you just want to fight me and hate me that's your choice, but know that I will not fight back, there are too many people fighting hatefully on topix as it is, nothing wrong with a good clean fair debate and light banter but I'm not interested in warfare.
Peace <3
Based on your assertion here, there should be an entire different court system and laws for every religious belief, or lack of. That's not a country, it's called anarchy.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#431811 Jan 1, 2013
This blog was just passed along to me. I likey.

Here is an excerpt from a post about the birth of Jesus and misuse of Isaiah 7:14.

"During my two years as a graduate assistant, the paper assignment that caused my students (and me!) the most headache was called “Context is Everything.” In this assignment we asked the students to answer a few questions based on their reading of Isaiah 7, describing the sign given to Ahaz, its probable fulfillment, and Isaiah’s mission in the text.

"And like clockwork, every semester half of the students would fail the paper because they would write something like this:”The Prophet Isaiah is predicting the birth of Jesus Christ, the saviorof the world.” "

http://kristadalton.com/2012/12/07/celebrate-...

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#431812 Jan 1, 2013
love_spell wrote:
<quoted text>
IMO, southern baptists are the worst emtionally abusive people to children.
of course i didn't "close my ears........being the curious child i was, i wanted to learn about the religion and understand why catholics went against the bibull.
didn't make sense to me that they worshipped the same god and believed the same 10 commandments baptists did.
Well I can certainly speak of the Southern Baptists from authority, so I can't disagree. As an organization, they rank up there with the Catholic Church and Ryan Seacrest.

I think it goes deeper than denomination though.

My personal opinion, which is worth less than an empty McDonalds bag, is that the most destructive element of monotheism was the literalizing of mythology. Is literalizing a word?

One thing you have shown is that children learn from the mistakes of their parents. That is a good thing.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#431813 Jan 1, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>More like the worst behaved Christian = christians.
Why do you insist on making a fool of yourself?

Columbus, OH

#431814 Jan 1, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Good stuff.
Thanks.

“SPEBSQSA”

Since: Aug 08

Northern Virginia

#431815 Jan 1, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Did someone say "beer"?
Hehe...and Brats but...I'm good with steak, tenderloin preferred, or pork loin or ribs or angus burgers...or....

Columbus, OH

#431816 Jan 1, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>I think in this post you have brought to light one of the biggest problems in the Christian belief system today.
Many seem to be 'going rogue', to put it bluntly (as I most always do). The rebel against all that Jesus taught, but look at outsiders and other sects of Christianity with what they believe to be they eye of discernment, when actually they are just playing God.
There is no real sense of community in which they practice what Jesus taught, because they are off on their own trip of sureness that they are the only one who is a 'true' Christian.
It would seem, by Topix fundamentalist Christians especially, that you are right...these are people who are not socially adept in any setting. Therefore, being a sect of one, they get to judge all others in the world. Look how each and every Christian who is honestly trying to be a good person and follow Jesus' teachings here on this thread alone is treated by those rogue Christians. It's a shame and disgrace. Jesus would weep.
Those are pretty much my thoughts too.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#431817 Jan 1, 2013
love_spell wrote:
<quoted text>i summed it up for you a few days ago. perhaps you missed it. so let me post it once again.

WN, along with others here, abhors dishonesty. if that word is too hard to understand..........strongly dislikes, detests, loathes dishonesty.

IMO you are upset that she held a mirror up to your dishonesty.

WN has no problem with the fact that you believe in christian god. in fact she has welcomed many believers to this thread. and has defended them to other hateful christians.

jsyk
Her posts say otherwise.

Columbus, OH

#431818 Jan 1, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
That makes a lot of sense actually, I used to be ok with society in general then when I became I Christian I often felt like I didn't fit in with other Christians, then I got to feeling like as my personality and behaviours changed, I didn't really fit in with my former friends either. Now I just feel like I'm in limbo. Thank you Chess, I might try to find that book. Thank for pointing out that I'm rejecting a major theme in my religion too, no one has ever said that to me before, gave me a bit of a jolt but hey, I probably needed it.
Happy New Year <3
A timeout in limbo is not always a bad thing.

Happy new year.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#431819 Jan 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Based on your assertion here, there should be an entire different court system and laws for every religious belief, or lack of. That's not a country, it's called anarchy.
Court system? Topix is a forum and I don't see how it's ok for someone who left the faith to tell me how to be a Christian, constantly, whilst twisting my words, calling me a liar whilst lying about what I've actually said and attacking me over everything, even the time. If this was a Court of Law, the case would get dismissed.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#431820 Jan 1, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course not. There is grace for all those who ask for it
Even those who engage in sexual immorality, impurity, promiscuity, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, rivalry, jealously, outbursts of anger, quarrels, conflicts, factions, envy, murder, drunkenness, wild partying, and things like that.?

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#431821 Jan 1, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Even those who engage in sexual immorality, impurity, promiscuity, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, rivalry, jealously, outbursts of anger, quarrels, conflicts, factions, envy, murder, drunkenness, wild partying, and things like that.?
yes

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#431822 Jan 1, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably so. Certainly nothing near to Paul's teaching.
Agreed.

Had Paul's letters not been included in the canon they would be all be calling Paul a liar and burning his letters.

Like wise the Gospel of John. To bad the Proetestants did drop John when they had the chance. If they had, they may not have remained little more than Catholics without a Pope'.

Columbus, OH

#431823 Jan 1, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
I sure hope so. Well, at least for wild partiers, anyway.

Happy new year, G_O_D.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 6 min dollarsbill 6,389
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 min Justise_League 863,909
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 44 min RiccardoFire 40,859
The Christian Atheist debate 50 min Rosa_Winkel 1,937
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 1 hr Halle Berry Sister 2,771
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 1 hr andet1987 6,289
Lyrics-name the song or finish the lyrics (Feb '10) 2 hr Tom Pappas 27,083
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr disciple 599,405
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr WasteWater 272,403
More from around the web