Why I’m no longer a Christian

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#431527 Dec 31, 2012
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't think so I take it?
I'm still waiting for a credible source for your assertion.

Just Results

“Jesus is Love”

Since: Jul 12

Hutchinson, MN

#431528 Dec 31, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You have that very backwards ... oh wait ... actually you have that competely wrong. WN is thinking, and presenting a well thought out point, you are not thinking, that is the only reason your thinking is not flawed.
Aren't you the one I reported last night to the authorities about this threat to bash Christians with sledge hammers?

You were NOT joking.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Naw, I have vitamin C, it cures anything!
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Can it cure religious stupidity?
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Naw, that's what sledge hammers are for.

Just Results

“Jesus is Love”

Hutchinson, MN

#431529 Dec 31, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Gah, that describes so many of the godbots here. lol
This describes the ongoing physical threats and violence in public venues.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Naw, I have vitamin C, it cures anything!
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Can it cure religious stupidity?
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Naw, that's what sledge hammers are for.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#431530 Dec 31, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Would you like the direct phone number to the authorities I called in reporting you? An apology might be in your best interest about right now.
what authorities? Did you report your own hate-filled posts while you were at it?

It's odd that you can't allow others to have an opinion without reporting them. Are you that insecure?

Is your God that insecure?

Just Results

“Jesus is Love”

Hutchinson, MN

#431531 Dec 31, 2012
DearthOfCouth wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheist churches.
I love it.
We will gather at the river....
You will gather at the lake of fire. Then get thrown into it.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#431532 Dec 31, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Would you like the direct phone number to the authorities I called in reporting you? An apology might be in your best interest about right now.
I've changed my mind. So yes, I would like the direct number to the 'authorities' you called. Just post it here on WINLAC, in public. That way we'll all have it.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#431533 Dec 31, 2012
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.elvenminstrel.com/tolkien/christia...
Not necessarily, have a look at what Tolkien has to say....I think it's quite clever, I loved all his Middle Earth books....especially the histories of Middle Earth....they got me interested in the Bible.
http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/222341
Peace <3
Of course a Christian site will claim it's all due to Christianity and misquote Tolkein. I asked for a 'credible' site, one that is not formed on theological opinion but literary accuracy.

Maybe you should look outside the writings of Christians and use real literary sources.

But I'll bet you won't.

I still think it's funny that you 'hate' Catholics but will use one to promote your religion. We here on WINLAC are quite familiar with this concept, however. Whatever it takes to make it seem real , you'll use. But when it comes right down to facts, you don't even believe the sources of your evidence. It's really quite entertaining.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#431534 Dec 31, 2012
DearthOfCouth wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheist churches.
I love it.
We will gather at the river....
you all will gather in hell

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#431535 Dec 31, 2012
HAPPY NEW YEARS !!!!!!!!!!
ROLL TIDE ROLL
rtr

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#431536 Dec 31, 2012
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>you all will gather in hell
hell doesn't really exist but you can go there if you wish

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#431537 Dec 31, 2012
Say it loud Im FUNDIE and proud...

“What do I know?”

Since: Apr 08

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#431538 Dec 31, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
You will gather at the lake of fire. Then get thrown into it.
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>you all will gather in hell
And Santa and the tooth fairy will pass me by.

Sorry. Not scared.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#431539 Dec 31, 2012
T-Town Clown wrote:
Say it loud Im FUNDIE and proud...
Empty barrels are the loudest for sure clownie

Just Results

“Jesus is Love”

Hutchinson, MN

#431540 Dec 31, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>I've changed my mind. So yes, I would like the direct number to the 'authorities' you called. Just post it here on WINLAC, in public. That way we'll all have it.
Not until I hear an apology from all of your sock puppets.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#431541 Dec 31, 2012
The Blaze
<quoted text>

When examining popular literary works, there’s often a fascinating story surrounding the author and his or her intended purpose in crafting the messaging within a book. From religious sentiments to embedded ideals about the human condition, fiction is often used to make grand and pertinent statements about mankind. Case in point: J.R.R. Tolkien and his book,“The Hobbit.”

In “The Christian World of the Hobbit,” a new literary analysis of the popular writer, author Devin Brown examines the intense religious nature of Tolkien’s written works. In a recent interview with CBN.com , Brown provided some fascinating tidbits of information. Among them, a fact that many Tolkien fans might not be aware of:“The Hobbit” author was responsible for bringing C.S. Lewis to the Christian faith.

Here’s what Brown had to say about Tolkien’s religious views and his assistance in helping Lewis find Christ:

[Tolkien] was Roman Catholic. His mom converted; she had been an Anglican. His dad died. So, he went with her in the Catholic faith and was very devout, very pious. That said, when he helped bring Lewis to Christianity—he didn’t bring him to Catholicism, he brought him to Christianity. Certainly, his commitment to Christ was first and his denomination second. But, yeah, he was very pious, went to church not just every Sunday, but often every day. He was one of those kind of people, that I don’t know that very many of them exist anymore.

And just as Lewis was brought to faith by Tolkien, it was Tolkien who owes the success of his books to Lewis. In fact,“The Hobbit” author quit twice while working on “The Lord of the Rings” book project (a follow-up to “The Hobbit”), with Lewis begging him to continue.

“You’re going to leave me hanging here? You’ve got to finish it,” Lewis essentially told Tolkien.“This is going to be your great work.”

And complete it he did. Considering the intricate nature of Tolkien’s faith and his deeply held connection to Christ, naturally, his writings are reflective of that devotion. Brown contends that, while Tolkien didn’t initially write his books to be overtly Christian, over the long process of edits and amendments, the literary works did, indeed, end up having faith-based imagery infused within them.

tbc...

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#431542 Dec 31, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't you the one I reported last night to the authorities about this threat to bash Christians with sledge hammers?
You were NOT joking.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Yeah, they had a great laugh down at the precinct from that too.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#431543 Dec 31, 2012
The Blaze CONT....

<quoted text>Brown explains, though, that critics sometimes attempt to poke holes in the theory that “The Hobbit” and “The Lord of the Rings” are Christian in nature, as the messages are less-than-overt. He explains:
People say,“Look, God’s not mentioned in The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings. There’s no churches, no priest, no Bible. There’s no Jesus. How can you say it’s Christian?” And I said,“Here’s the deal. You can’t see that it’s Christian because you live in the Christian world where there is right and wrong and there is truth. I don’t know if you know any friends who don’t believe that there’s right or wrong and don’t believe there’s such a thing as truth. That’s the non-Christian world.” I mean, that’s the world without God.
In Tolkien’s Middle-earth, there is a right or wrong. There is a goodness. There’s a providence.
He goes on to contend that Tolkien uses fiction in a fascinating way. Rather than merely entertaining readers, he also seeks to hold a mirror up to humanity and to address the issues that impact individuals in the real world. And by setting the stage in a non-existent land (i.e. Middle-earth), the argument — one that even Lewis posed when reviewing some of the works — is that self-reflection is made a bit easier.
Infusing Middle-earth with right and wrong and with other related themes, Brown agrees that Tolkein’s methodology actually does make it easier to connect with the ideals and plights in a very real way.
I love the Christian theme,“Not by power, nor by might.” So, Bilbo’s not very powerful, not very mighty, and he’s going to help make this mission accomplishment. Here’s the Christian thing I think about it, is the task that God has called us to, they’re called to help other people, and in helping other people, we help ourselves. Someone asked somebody a question,“Does the Christian hero go out to save the world or to save himself?” The answer is both. In saving the world and dying to save the world, he saves himself.
Believers who are unfamiliar with the books and movies might be surprised to find that the faith-based themes are deeply-rooted under the surface. It’s ironic, too, considering that Lewis so overtly discussed his religious views in his writings. Tolkien, in contrast, seemingly prefers a more under-the-rader handling of his theological perspective, as noted by Brown.
In an interview with Alabama.com , English professor Jane Chance of Rice University corroborated this notion, noting that Christian beliefs do, indeed, exist just beneath the surface.
In “The Lord of the Rings,” too, Chance said that Christian themes were prevalent.
“Aragorn represents a savior figure in a lot of ways,” she told Alabama.com .“He’s a hero but he’s also a Christ figure in many ways, bringing harmony to Middle Earth.”
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/did-you-know-...

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#431544 Dec 31, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
This describes the ongoing physical threats and violence in public venues.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Naw, describes you.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#431545 Dec 31, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
Not until I hear an apology from all of your sock puppets.
Oh Doc!!!! Down the rabbit hole again? Which one did you take this time? The red pill or the blue pill?
God Bless all your little cotton socks.
Happy New Year!
:p

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#431546 Dec 31, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Gah, that describes so many of the godbots here. lol
Lol...Not just the God bots love :)
Happy New Year!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min VIKING 971,579
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 5 min oneear69 48,028
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min Steve III 646,367
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 19 min RiccardoFire 44,715
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 41 min bad bob 182,620
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 45 min WelbyMD 281,224
How do I own a forum? 1 hr king_detonator 1
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 105,586
More from around the web