|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
Translation: You've pissed me off but I am incapable of refuting you. I need to throw up a white flag but I am a coward atheist pig.
Pretending is pretty much a requirement for being a Christian.

You do it well.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
When are you going to go on a shooting rampage? We need to be prepared for the next anti-Christian display.
The mindless nonsense of a Christian offended by someone pointing out mindless Christian nonsense.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
As I predicted, you can't admit that you made an error.
You also went on to derail my original comment and set up another strawman as well.
You said 3 hours difference. That was wrong and that is what I addressed, nothing more.
Good morning, G. Hope your morning is going well.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
we learned that talent when we were christians
were did you learn to lie Clown?
I'm sorry, Karl. I didn't learn to lie when I was a Christian. I was, however, indoctrinated enough to believe that what I was saying was the truth. Then I came to my senses.

I think saying that everyone who is a Christian is lying is incorrect. Saying they are indoctrinated to the point of believing lies would be more appropriate, IMO.

Just sayin'.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you mean in this thread or in general?
In this thread, initially, because when I first saw the title, I was curious about what kinds of things would lead people to leave Christianity. Then as I read more, I found myself understanding what some people went through. Then I thought maybe something here will help me with my doubts about churches. Then I felt compelled to share my experiences in my testimony, as others struck a chord, so to speak. I also have a huge interest in the areas of religion, myth, beliefs, history, cults etc...and the free flow of conversation, ideas and exchanging information, not so much the fighting, is something that appeals to me, especially when it comes to taboo topics that most people in my particular circle do not wish to discuss. I've actually learnt a lot here.
In general, I came across topix a couple of weeks ago in reading a news report sent to me in Politix, I thought some of the conversations were interesting, I wish to keep a close eye on the News atm and I like and have missed, talking to people and mucking around. I also like to discuss my faith, but unless asked or in the right context, I try to stick to the thread topic and discuss my beliefs elsewhere in the appropriate forums.
Had you read very much of this thread, you would realize that our doubts were not about 'the churches'. Our doubts were about the Bible. Maybe you can start there if you truly want to understand why people leave Christianity. I don't think any of us blamed the churches, or God for our doubts. We saw incongruities in the churches we attended, but our main focus was on why we saw something in the Bible that other Christians didn't see, and why we didn't see what they saw in some instances. It was the unanswered questions that drove us to seek more knowledge. It didn't necessarily end up where we thought it would, prayed it would, or expected it would. We ended up not believing in mainline Christianity because of the Bible. It's really just that simple.

You have not been asked many things about your religion that you have posted. So if you were truly just being quiet until asked, you would have left long ago. I'm not buying into that either.

However, Christians are always welcome here. We see the worst side of Christianity with most of the Christians who come here and the very best side with a very few who come here.

And their words are here for the life of Topix.

“Selected Marksman”

Since: Aug 08

Northern Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
The mindless nonsense of a Christian offended by someone pointing out mindless Christian nonsense.
There's a darn good reason I bought an irony meter with a reset button. I am however, worried about wearing out the reset button.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure if this helps to clear things up or not, but I think this was the post that started the time debate, maybe the confusion was that in my response to 'Gottaliv' on the 'it's the guns, stupid' thread this morning, I didn't add the am, what also seems unclear because her name is not quoted, is that 'Gottaliv' also lives in Australia, I think in Qld too but I'm not 100% sure on that one, so our times would be the same.
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget it is also a different day. Isn't it tomorrow?
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not only tomorrow there, but there's no difference in the actual time there. When someone said to her 'You're up late, aren't you? It's almost 3:30 am.', she answered 'Yes, it's 3:35.) Hahaha.
The subsequent explanations wn provided regarding what the time was, confused me so I did not want to get into it but here is the last post regarding the time debate.
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
If I may? A twelve hour difference in time was given, when it should have been a fifteen hour difference, that is where the three hour difference came into play in her post….I had to read it twice myself. Just saying that it may be worth a reread to you G as it was not very clear to me until I read it a second time. I think this one can be chalked up to a miscommunication, but I could be wrong. I hope all is well in your slice of the world!
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
I just pointed out what looks like an error.
Waiting for some snow here.
Just to clear things up, I in fact live in an outer suburb of Brisbane, QLD Australia. Right now it is Saturday the 29th of December 2012, 8:17 pm.
Peace :)
Sorry, it was my understanding that all of Brisbane was in Queensland.

“Jesus is Love”

Since: Jul 12

Hutchinson, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying that all Atheists are hateful killers?
If given enough time, yes. Once an atheist is fully indoctrinated, delusional, and evil like the ones you see on this forum, the hatred will eventually ooze out in the form of violence. Unfortunately the investigators and the media will never reveal this information of their dark findings about these villainous criminals.

They usually only let us in on the rare occasional Christian that makes a mistake in shooting someone. The media is GROSSLY biased to letting the public know only of Christian crimes. I guess it is just assumed the other numerous crimes are by atheists, but they don't mention it in their news releases.

The media is very unfair and biased against Christianity.

“Jesus is Love”

Since: Jul 12

Hutchinson, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
we learned that talent when we were christians
were did you learn to lie Clown?
You were never a Christian. You're too hateful and bigoted to be one.

“Ungood doubleplus duckspeak.”

Since: Dec 12

Earth.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
If given enough time, yes. Once an atheist is fully indoctrinated, delusional, and evil like the ones you see on this forum, the hatred will eventually ooze out in the form of violence. Unfortunately the investigators and the media will never reveal this information of their dark findings about these villainous criminals.
They usually only let us in on the rare occasional Christian that makes a mistake in shooting someone. The media is GROSSLY biased to letting the public know only of Christian crimes. I guess it is just assumed the other numerous crimes are by atheists, but they don't mention it in their news releases.
What do you base these claims on?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
No, haven't seen it. Sorry.
I'm quite certain, I assure you.
I believe that mankind will find a god gene before we ever find a living god.
I believe in humanity, I think we're gonna make it.
I don't believe that religion will be as lucky.
I don't believe in a benevolent deity that could bend the laws of nature for someone who says the right thing, but let an innocent child suffer and die for not saying the right thing, or worse, just to teach someone else a lesson. My morals do not allow that.
I'm more of an Ecclesiastes kinda guy.
Enjoy what you have, tomorrow you might be dirt.
'The dust will return to the Earth as it was, and the spirit will return to God who gave it.' Ecc. 12:7

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you base these claims on?
The voices in her head.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
You were never a Christian. You're too hateful and bigoted to be one.
Then you're not a christian either.

“Ungood doubleplus duckspeak.”

Since: Dec 12

Earth.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you're not a christian either.
You might have a point there...

“Are you a Problem or Solution?”

Since: Mar 09

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, geneticist found a defective gene in some people called VMAT2 that predisposes those people towards religion. This gene just happens to also code for production of the neurotransmitters that regulate our moods. Two different versions of this gene exist, differing only at a single position. People with the defective version of the gene tend to score higher on self-transcendence tests.
Much like an alcoholic is attracted to alcohol, or someone who is a compulsive gambler is attracted to always taking a gamble, a person with the God gene is attracted to religion because it gives them a “high” when they are religious. When a person falls in love and they think about that special person, their brain creates chemicals which makes them feel happy. Likewise a person with the defective VMAT2 gene feels “rewarded” when they are involved with something spiritual or religious. You could say they are addicted to religion, which explains a lot.
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TSHQAVD...
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
So how many people have this gene, and what in your opinion makes it defective?
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>My guess is quite a lot of people in the middle east have the God gene. Genetic disorders can be inherited, and some genetic disorders develop spontaneously when disease causing mutations occur during cell division.
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes it a disorder?
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Being defective. I thought this was already covered.
In my opinion it was not covered. The problem I have with how you chose to word your post‘s, is that you state that the gene is defective and a disorder. Nothing I have read or heard about his hypothesis, has ever stated such. Here is part of one book review:

In The God Gene, Dr. Dean Hamer reveals that this inclination towards religious faith is in good measure due to our genes and may even offer an evolutionary advantage by helping us get through difficulties, reducing stress, preventing disease, and extending life.
Review found here:
http://www.randomhouse.com/book/74186/the-god...

I think that it is very important to note that Dr. Hamer’s full hypothesis, has not been published amongst his peers.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
In my opinion it was not covered. The problem I have with how you chose to word your post‘s, is that you state that the gene is defective and a disorder. Nothing I have read or heard about his hypothesis, has ever stated such. Here is part of one book review:
In The God Gene, Dr. Dean Hamer reveals that this inclination towards religious faith is in good measure due to our genes and may even offer an evolutionary advantage by helping us get through difficulties, reducing stress, preventing disease, and extending life.
Review found here:
http://www.randomhouse.com/book/74186/the-god...
I think that it is very important to note that Dr. Hamer’s full hypothesis, has not been published amongst his peers.
As you can see, there are extremists on each end of the spectrum.

Never listen to extremists, lest you become one.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

NS, you have another recipe on t-mail. Your husband, children and anyone who eats this will beg for more.

“What do I know?”

Since: Apr 08

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting theory. Who conducts this "indoctrination" of us atheists? Where is it held and how often? And whom is it, in particular, that we "hate?"

And whose media is it that's unfairly biased against Christianity? The USA's? Europe's? The whole world's?

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

DearthOfCouth wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting theory. Who conducts this "indoctrination" of us atheists? Where is it held and how often? And whom is it, in particular, that we "hate?"
And whose media is it that's unfairly biased against Christianity? The USA's? Europe's? The whole world's?
Good morning, DoC. I think you can see by his posts who is biased, indoctrinated, and filled with hatred for other human beings. No questions need be asked.

“Are you a Problem or Solution?”

Since: Mar 09

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> As you can see, there are extremists on each end of the spectrum.
Never listen to extremists, lest you become one.
Agreed.
water_nymph wrote:
NS, you have another recipe on t-mail. Your husband, children and anyone who eats this will beg for more.
WOW!! I love how they set up the instructions, and the name of he recipe! I will definitely be making these, and I will start my diet today to prepare for all the calories ;O)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 406,781 - 406,800 of440,796
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

485 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min nanoanomaly 716,954
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min Michael 530,278
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 10 min waleed sadat 114,665
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 11 min UidiotRaceMAkeWorldpeace 171,497
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 12 min BenAdam 598,785
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 17 min CRY BABY 255,743
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 32 min number four 223,269
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 8 hr SimmerExtreme 64
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••