Why I’m no longer a Christian

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#429730 Dec 26, 2012
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that's probably because they were different people with different perspectives and may not have all witnessed the exact same parts of everything. Two people can see and write about the same thing they see in different ways, that's why in a Court Case for example, the more witnesses available the better the case will be, from different perspectives of the same event, a clearer picture can be made.
We've already been over this, Dilbert.

Remember the synoptic problem?

But if you insist....
Satchmo Banks

Czech Republic

#429731 Dec 26, 2012
He got me! Go figger.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#429732 Dec 26, 2012
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
...and what was it you told me when I pointed out that the jesus myth was based in part on the Herculean myth?
Jesus was based on Horus and Mithras. These proceeded the story of jesus, and in some cases by thousands of years.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#429733 Dec 26, 2012
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that's probably because they were different people with different perspectives and may not have all witnessed the exact same parts of everything.
Please provide chapter and verse references where any of the canonical Gospels claim to be eyewitnesses.

Thanks.

You are familiar, I would think, with the predominant theory in NT studies, known as the Two-Source Theory.

In case you are not, and want to avoid the appearance of ignorance in the future, here is the link from a Christian resource.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/q.cfm

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#429734 Dec 26, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Which other religions did you study IN DEPTH at their places of worship before you chose to be a Christian? How many years did it take you to study all the major religions before choosing Christianity?
I haven't studied all the major religions. My Testimony is available for all to read so I won't go into too many details. Catholicism, Voodoo, Macumba, Mahikari, Paganism, satanism, Atheism, Orthodox Jewish beliefs, bits and pieces of Buddhism and then different branches of Christianity.
Not sure if I've studied them all in depth, except for the ones I lived. I've also read in depth, about many different cults and the psychological weapons they use to deeply hurt and control vulnerable people.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#429735 Dec 26, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Why are you spamming the thread if you're not trying to convert people? Do you not think we've seen this before?
Lol. X wanted proof, I tried to oblige. My you're a feisty one.

Location hidden

#429736 Dec 26, 2012
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
The fallacy is in the claim that no ancient evidence exists. This is blatantly dishonest. There is an abundance of evidence showing how the Christ is a creation following the supposed life of Jesus. There is an abundance of evidence showing how this belief varied and changed in early Christianity.
There is no contemporary evidence proving that Jesus was the Christ. There is an abundance of evidence proving that Jesus was not a Jewish messiah. There is an abundance of evidence showing how Christianity rewrote the Jewish requirements for a messiah.
What we will likely receive in reply will be any number of fallacious arguments, which will prove, once again, the dishonesty of Christianity.
<quoted text>
Too bad they--Matthew, Mark, Luke and John--never got together to get their stories straight; each one of them contradicts the other three.
They didn't need to. Each author had his own style, but they all lived in a "high context culture." We live in a "low context culture." That's why the gospels seem foreign to us.

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#429737 Dec 26, 2012
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't studied all the major religions. My Testimony is available for all to read so I won't go into too many details. Catholicism, Voodoo, Macumba, Mahikari, Paganism, satanism, Atheism, Orthodox Jewish beliefs, bits and pieces of Buddhism and then different branches of Christianity.
Not sure if I've studied them all in depth, except for the ones I lived. I've also read in depth, about many different cults and the psychological weapons they use to deeply hurt and control vulnerable people.
You are calling atheism a religion?

Nonbelief in the supernatural is a religion?

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#429738 Dec 26, 2012
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen, the predominant view of New Testament studies.

"Two-Source Theory: Undoubtedly,this theory has become the most widely accepted theory amongst New Testament scholars today. The reason for its popularity is that it settles the problems that arise with Matthean priority, while confronting the difficulty of double tradition. Under the Two-Source Theory the priority is given to Mark. Both Matthew and Luke separately used Mark as a source. Matthew reproduces the vast majority of Mark, while Luke also incorporates more than half. In addition to using Mark as a source, Matthew and Luke also used a common source called Q."

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#429739 Dec 26, 2012
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
The fallacy is in the claim that no ancient evidence exists. This is blatantly dishonest. There is an abundance of evidence showing how the Christ is a creation following the supposed life of Jesus. There is an abundance of evidence showing how this belief varied and changed in early Christianity.
There is no contemporary evidence proving that Jesus was the Christ. There is an abundance of evidence proving that Jesus was not a Jewish messiah. There is an abundance of evidence showing how Christianity rewrote the Jewish requirements for a messiah.
What we will likely receive in reply will be any number of fallacious arguments, which will prove, once again, the dishonesty of Christianity.
Yeah we are all wrong and you are all right. Did you know the Old Testament states the Messiah will come in one of two ways or both? Riding on a donkey and coming in the clouds of heaven.(Not Earth) The first time He came on a donkey and the next on the clouds of Heaven as in Daniel. If 1st century Jews only expected a human messiah then why did the high priest tear his robe and accuse Jesus of blasphemy on Matt. 26:65. Next take the Isaiah 53 chapter and insert Israel into the text every time ir refers to the servant. Clearly Isaiah 53 references a person and not collective Israel. Christianity did not rewrite anything. The argument has always been over interpretation of Hebrew Scriptures especially as it relates to Messiah. I do find it interesting animal sacrifice was abolished in 70AD and has not happened since to this day even though Israel is back after being gone 1848 years (?). Just a few fun facts.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#429740 Dec 26, 2012
Eddy Boyd wrote:
<quoted text>
They didn't need to. Each author had his own style, but they all lived in a "high context culture." We live in a "low context culture." That's why the gospels seem foreign to us.
Thanks for sharing.

Your false conclusion is that they seem foreign to us.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#429741 Dec 26, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah we are all wrong and you are all right.
Now whose fault is that?

Don't blame me for your ignorance.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#429742 Dec 26, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
That makes me a preacher.

Give me some money.

Where's the collection plate?

Is it in someone's bra?

Oh, it is the bra.

That works for me.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#429743 Dec 26, 2012
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
We've already been over this, Dilbert.
Remember the synoptic problem?
But if you insist....
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Ladies and gentlemen, the predominant view of New Testament studies.
"Two-Source Theory: Undoubtedly,this theory has become the most widely accepted theory amongst New Testament scholars today. The reason for its popularity is that it settles the problems that arise with Matthean priority, while confronting the difficulty of double tradition. Under the Two-Source Theory the priority is given to Mark. Both Matthew and Luke separately used Mark as a source. Matthew reproduces the vast majority of Mark, while Luke also incorporates more than half. In addition to using Mark as a source, Matthew and Luke also used a common source called Q."
Well, that saved me some typing.

Location hidden

#429744 Dec 26, 2012
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you study anything from Joseph Campbell?

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#429745 Dec 26, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
That makes me a preacher.
Give me some money.
Is it in someone's bra?
Oh, it is the bra.
That works for me.
Maybe she's right.

I have faith.

In skepticism.

Location hidden

#429746 Dec 26, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it in someone's bra?
Oh, it is the bra.
Now that's my kind of church.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#429747 Dec 26, 2012
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>its huge
Your ego ? Yes.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#429748 Dec 26, 2012
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Please provide chapter and verse references where any of the canonical Gospels claim to be eyewitnesses.
Thanks.
You are familiar, I would think, with the predominant theory in NT studies, known as the Two-Source Theory.
In case you are not, and want to avoid the appearance of ignorance in the future, here is the link from a Christian resource.
http://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/q.cfm
Matthew 1:1 A record of the genealogy of Jesus Christ the son of David, the son of Abraham:(NIV). This verse is usually interpreted to be claim of witness, as is a record of any thing.
Mark 1:29-31 As soon as they left the synagogue, they went with James and John to the home of Simon and Andrew. Simon's mother-in-law was in bed with a fever, and they told Jesus about her. So he went to her, took her hand and helped her up. The fever left her and she began to wait on them.(NIV) It is believed that the 4 disciples witnessed this because they were there, watching.
Luke 1:2 Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word.(NIV) Speaks for itself.
John 1:6-9 There came a man who was sent from God; his name was John. He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all men might believe. He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light. The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world.(NIV) The light being Jesus.
Paul was not an eyewitness but Peter was and after Paul, who had been killing Christians, went blind after seeing a bright light, passed down the events he witnessed.
If you are referring to the Canonical Gospels written by the Catholic church, I'm not entirely certain they are completely accurate. The disciples were not saints or gods, they were men.

I provided secular evidence in my earlier post. I'm not very familiar with the Two Source Hypothesis but have heard and read a bit of it, my understanding is that it's a theory.
Thank you for your kindness.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#429749 Dec 26, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not calling it that. It is classified as a religion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 32 min Steve III 501
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 43 min WasteWater 2,601
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 hr Thinking 64,617
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Steve III 654,424
Calgary Plumbers 1 hr calgaryplumbers 1
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Steve III 45,287
desperate to pee (Mar '09) 1 hr get real 210
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr Dr Banonator 106,610
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr MUQ2 281,954
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 hr Gabriel 973,952
More from around the web