Why Iím no longer a Christian

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#429003 Dec 23, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
"The popular image of shepherds and wise men side by side before the cradle? Matthew says wise men. Luke says shepherds. Neither says both. The star in the East? Only in Matthew. "Hark, the herald angels sing" ... but only in Luke. Matthew never heard of them.
But then, only Matthew heard of Herod's slaughter of the innocents ... That's right, the indiscriminate killing of every male baby in Judea -- with one significant exception -- did not merit Luke's attention. On the other hand, no Roman historian chronicles this atrocity either, not even Flavius Josephus. Josephus reviled Herod and took care to lay at his feet every crime for which even a shred of evidence existed. Had Herod really slaughtered those innocents, it is almost unimaginable that Josephus would have failed to chronicle it.
Matthew says Joseph and Mary lived in Bethlehem, moving to Nazareth after their flight into Egypt ... But Luke says Joseph and Mary lived in Nazareth all along; Jesus was born in Bethlehem only because Joseph and Mary had traveled there to enroll in the census... Roman records mention no such census; in fact, Roman history records no census in which each man was required to return to the city where his ancestral line originated. That's not how the Romans did things."
http://atheism.about.com/b/2012/12/16/matthew...
Bam!
Huh

Fort Worth, TX

#429004 Dec 23, 2012
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL....Lady Plant? Quack, quack, quack ;p
Another mentally ill Christian, but, I repeat myself.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#429005 Dec 23, 2012
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Whew! Tell me about it.
:)
Scrolling is harder work though, don't you agree?
Huh

Fort Worth, TX

#429006 Dec 23, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Hmm. I hadn't thpught of that.
Here I thought I was referring to the curvature of Space...
Yeah, but you know how they get.
Huh

Fort Worth, TX

#429007 Dec 23, 2012
Tony17 wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't a STAR that the Wise men followed as many have erroneously believed for so many years but rather it was a VISION that the wisemen had that told them the Christ Child had been born. They already knew "WHERE" the Christ child was to be born because of the prophecies that had been told for years of where the Christ Child was to be born so they already knew from the prophecies that He was to be born in Bethlehem. But it wasn't a STAR they followed but it was a vision they all had, a vision of the birth. Adn there were not three wise men for all we know because scripture does not say how many wise men there were.
It couldn't have been a star because they would have walked in circles. It couldn't have been a vision because they are demonstrably false. Try again.

Columbus, OH

#429008 Dec 23, 2012
Tony17 wrote:
<quoted text>....I am not as anointed as my pastor....
So just how anointed are you, Ton?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#429009 Dec 23, 2012
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>Sadly, as usual, you are not just wrong, you are fractally wrong. There are now over 39,000 sects and schisms in Christianity.
I received a response to my email. Not what I was looking for, but here it is none-the-less:
"Dear XXXX,
The figure 39,000 represents our most current, up-to-date data. As we are constantly updating this figure, it is not published in print form. The figure of 33,800 from the year 2000 was printed in our book World Christian Trends,(Pasadena, CA: William Carey Library, 2001). Part 12 of World Christian Trends (WCT), Table 12-1 gives figures of denominational totals for all 238 countries of the world. These figures are also represented graphically in WCT on page 917, Global Map 14. Unfortunately, we do not have a comprehensive list of all denominations by name. Such a list would be lengthy indeed!
I hope this informations helps.
Thank you,
Justin J. Evans
Research Assistant
Center for the Study of Global Christianity
Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
130 Essex Street #228
South Hamilton, MA 01982 USA
E-mail: csgc@gcts.edu
World Christian Database
GCTS - Global Christianity - Center for the Study of Global Christianity
Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
World Christian Encyclopedia"
Doesn't it hurt your head to be wrong about everything?
LMCAO! See you Doc :) Merry CHRISTmas.

Columbus, OH

#429010 Dec 23, 2012
Tony17 wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't a STAR that the Wise men followed as many have erroneously believed for so many years but rather it was a VISION that the wisemen had that told them the Christ Child had been born. They already knew "WHERE" the Christ child was to be born because of the prophecies that had been told for years of where the Christ Child was to be born so they already knew from the prophecies that He was to be born in Bethlehem. But it wasn't a STAR they followed but it was a vision they all had, a vision of the birth. Adn there were not three wise men for all we know because scripture does not say how many wise men there were.
Odd, Ton. Cuz according to Matthew 2:1-2 they had to stop and ask directions:
Matthew wrote:
<quoted text>After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem 2 and asked,ďWhere is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.Ē
Maybe cuz they were moving him around, huh?

Oh. Was he still in Bethlehem at age 2? Or Galilee?

P.S.: Your own scriptures use the Greek term for magicians. "Wise men" is a bit of a gloss.

Columbus, OH

#429011 Dec 23, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Scrolling is harder work though, don't you agree?
It's a workout, I tell ya!

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#429012 Dec 23, 2012
Sure_about that wrote:
<quoted text>
That is exactly the reason I don't like organised religion. Some take things way too literally and even exaggerate things. I believe in God and thank him for all He has given to me but strictly devote one religion exaggeraters just irritate me to the point of Pissing me off. So close minded the jaws of life couldn't open them. I don't agree with them because I am a woman of mostly science but do have the belief of a higher power. I don't agree with following the bible, but I will praise Him in my own way. Organized religion irritates me be wise its "no you're wrong and I'm right and that's it" and I don't like that. Just because your religion says one thing doesn't mean that someone else is wrong.
the first step in the demise of the chtistian ethos

the recognition that the church is unnecessary.

most of those who post here as (christian) have made that recognition.

they say so in a variety of ways.

Columbus, OH

#429013 Dec 23, 2012
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Legend has it that Lilith was Adam's first wife, created together with him on the Sixth Day and from the same materials. Some say Lilith was created a little later, after Adam complained to God that he alone of the creatures of the earth had no partner. Either way, Lilith was created independently from and equal to Adam, and this led to problems.
Not least of them arose because Adam always liked to be on top when making love. No doubt this was merely a symptom of deeper differences, but it was the issue that caused the rift in the end. After a particularly fierce argument which Adam attempted to win by force, Lilith in fury uttered the mystical, ineffable Name of the Almighty, clapped her hands and flew away.
Adam complained to Jehovah that he had been abandoned, so God sent three angels to persuade Lilith to return home. They found her on the shores of the Red sea in a place populated by a particularly lascivious breed of demon, from whose attentions she had been giving birth to a hundred more little demons every day. At least, that is how the angels reported it in Adam's version of events.
The three angels tried to coax Lilith to return to Adam but she only laughed:'How could I go back to Adam after the entertainment I have enjoyed here?' The angels threatened to kill her but she only dared them to try. Which they did, and failed because she had learned some magical tricks in her exile. But after a great battle they managed to bundle her into the Outer Darkness and slaughter her offspring.
Adam meanwhile had been provided with a new mate in the form of Eve, who was fashioned from his rib in the hope that this would bind her more dutifully to him. And the rest of their tale is famous enough.
In the Outer Darkness Lilith, whose most common form was of a woman from the waist up and a serpent below, became the consort of Samael and other fallen angels. Fury with Adam and grief for her slaughtered children led Lilith to plot revenge. By mating with the rebel angels she gave birth to many of the greatest demons to plague the world. Chief among them were the lilin or lamiae of the ancient world, vampires also known as succubi, who were fatal ravishers of men and devourers of newborn babes.
Lilith was banished from the world of Adam and Eve but she occasionally managed to sneak back. It's often said that the serpent that tempted Eve in the Garden of Eden was none other than Lilith and many Medieval scenes of the Temptation show the serpent as a woman from the waist up, handing over the fatal fruit to bring about the Fall.
Lilith's offspring also continued to plague Adam's descendants whenever possible as succubi or vampires. The screech owl is Lilith's totem bird and the form in which she often prowls the night. Some ancient statues show her as a voluptuous young woman with owl's wings and feet, but she can adopt any guise to human eyes.
The legend of Lilith is a dark and grim one, but it gives a glimpse into a long buried strata of the feminine in Jewish legend. This filtered into Christian mythology too in the form of Gnostic legends which tell of God Himself having a heavenly consort, and daughters such as Sophia, the Wisdom of God, to whom countless Eastern churches are dedicated.
Thieving for Jesus is still just thieving:

http://www.unicorngarden.com/bkshe4.htm
Huh

Fort Worth, TX

#429014 Dec 23, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree.
They are actually Satanists.
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
He didn't have enough time to add his last comment?------> "I just really know I'm going to Hell."
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
My version is expanding and growing more than ever, now that the world saw what a person like you did once again in a public school. Why do you teach kids to kill with your demoralizing dogma?
All your religion offers a way to deny accountability for anything. From reversing the burden of proof, asserting as fact that which is not evidently true, making claims without basis, assuming conclusions that are unsupported by anything but the citation of a false-authority whoís comments you can present as though they agree with you.

You never have any responsibility because you externalize blame. Either your imaginary demon made you do it, or, if not, your imaginary friend, who curiously always agrees with you,.wipes your immorality with a swipe of its sandals. When you continue to do deplorable things, pocket god either forgives you or endorses your behavior. If itís something really evil, your pocket god might even command it. Wherever justification need come from, you it. You donít have any responsibility for the same reason you have no accountability; it doesnít matter if you're wrong or how wrong you are. Facts donít matter. Evidence doesnít matter. Ignorance is bliss, might makes right, and the ends justifies the means.

You apocalyptic imbeciles who are obsessed with death destroy life. If your eternity were true, it would eventually become a nightmare from which there can be no escape. Your pocket god is a vile creature, just like you. Biblegod is a horrible child. Who would want to be trapped in a house with an indomitable telepathic despot and have to guard your thoughts, or be voluntarily mindless, and endure that existence forever and ever? None of you can answer about your main excuse, free will, if it exists in Heaven, and if not, how did the angels fall, and if so, how can it be sin free. Not one of you.

You don't want to talk about life either. You hate practically everything that goes on in life. You want to talk about death and pretend that THAT is life. And those of us who know life, live life, and love life, you accuse of being dead already. Every aspect of your world-view is backwards.

What you preach diminishes the very meaning of life. Humans tend to value most that which is rare and fleeting. Such is life. The more you have of anything, the less valuable it is. Youíre claiming immortality for eternity, rendering the value of life infinitely worthless. You illustrate how little regarded you have for life and humanity with every post.

You sell your imaginary after-life as if it is so much better than this period of discomfort we have to endure before we achieve paradise. Having to toil in this fallen, sin-corrupted, dead-and-damned world. Gasp! You hate existence itself so much that you actually long for the end-of-days, and only seem to get happy when you think Armageddon is upon us. You worship the imaginary pain and suffering of others for eternity as though it is somehow a noble denouement. You are a sick, twisted, inhuman cuss, a stain on humanity, and the perfect mouthpiece for your immoral dogma, which dies a little more every day.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#429015 Dec 23, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
My version is expanding and growing more than ever, now that the world saw what a person like you did once again in a public school. Why do you teach kids to kill with your demoralizing dogma?
Here is a study that was done that you might find revealing...at least make you think.

http://www.pitzer.edu/academics/faculty/zucke...

It is a comparison of the religious vs non-religious.
Juicylu

Ipswich, Australia

#429016 Dec 23, 2012
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Thieving for Jesus is still just thieving:
http://www.unicorngarden.com/bkshe4.htm
Thieving? Where is the copyright? Since when is copying and pasting a crime? Did you steal that link you just copied and pasted?

Columbus, OH

#429017 Dec 23, 2012
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Thieving? Where is the copyright? Since when is copying and pasting a crime? Did you steal that link you just copied and pasted?
You're confusing plagiarism with copyright infringement, child.

Location hidden

#429018 Dec 23, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
you would need not discuss your religious beliefs, I hate stupidity, and could not respect you, and one must respect their friend, or there is no friendship.
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
well we are kinda hear to discuss our experiences with christianity; no?:)
You asked if we could be friends.
Let me try again.
as delicately as possible:

I respect my friends, I do not have as friends those whom I cannot respect.

I do not dictate, to my friends, their philosophy, but I cannot respect a hypocrite.

Your behaviour does not match the philosophy you claim.

Location hidden

#429019 Dec 23, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
please let me know what you are today so i can respond accordingly:
a - atheist
b - jew
c - christian
d - antichristian
e - homosexual
f - pagan priest
g - none of the above
h - all of the above
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm human. Something you seem to have difficulty with.
consistency eludes you

surely for very good and private reasons

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#429020 Dec 23, 2012
"There lives more faith in honest doubt,
Believe me, than in half the creeds."
Tennyson

Remember, Xcntrik is the reason for the season! Ponies for us, every one!

Happy Xmas ya'll!

Location hidden

#429021 Dec 23, 2012
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
It's past 12:00 here. No apocalypse yet.
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like we missed another one.
it was going to be a ride in a spaceship

I walked around all day wearing my aviation goggles

what a waste

“What do I know?”

Since: Apr 08

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#429022 Dec 23, 2012
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
All your religion offers a way to deny accountability for anything. From reversing the burden of proof, asserting as fact that which is not evidently true, making claims without basis, assuming conclusions that are unsupported by anything but the citation of a false-authority whoís comments you can present as though they agree with you.
You never have any responsibility because you externalize blame. Either your imaginary demon made you do it, or, if not, your imaginary friend, who curiously always agrees with you,.wipes your immorality with a swipe of its sandals. When you continue to do deplorable things, pocket god either forgives you or endorses your behavior. If itís something really evil, your pocket god might even command it. Wherever justification need come from, you it. You donít have any responsibility for the same reason you have no accountability; it doesnít matter if you're wrong or how wrong you are. Facts donít matter. Evidence doesnít matter. Ignorance is bliss, might makes right, and the ends justifies the means.
You apocalyptic imbeciles who are obsessed with death destroy life. If your eternity were true, it would eventually become a nightmare from which there can be no escape. Your pocket god is a vile creature, just like you. Biblegod is a horrible child. Who would want to be trapped in a house with an indomitable telepathic despot and have to guard your thoughts, or be voluntarily mindless, and endure that existence forever and ever? None of you can answer about your main excuse, free will, if it exists in Heaven, and if not, how did the angels fall, and if so, how can it be sin free. Not one of you.
You don't want to talk about life either. You hate practically everything that goes on in life. You want to talk about death and pretend that THAT is life. And those of us who know life, live life, and love life, you accuse of being dead already. Every aspect of your world-view is backwards.
What you preach diminishes the very meaning of life. Humans tend to value most that which is rare and fleeting. Such is life. The more you have of anything, the less valuable it is. Youíre claiming immortality for eternity, rendering the value of life infinitely worthless. You illustrate how little regarded you have for life and humanity with every post.
You sell your imaginary after-life as if it is so much better than this period of discomfort we have to endure before we achieve paradise. Having to toil in this fallen, sin-corrupted, dead-and-damned world. Gasp! You hate existence itself so much that you actually long for the end-of-days, and only seem to get happy when you think Armageddon is upon us. You worship the imaginary pain and suffering of others for eternity as though it is somehow a noble denouement. You are a sick, twisted, inhuman cuss, a stain on humanity, and the perfect mouthpiece for your immoral dogma, which dies a little more every day.
Wow.

I wish this were just a tad less confrontational and derisive.

But I love it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 3 min naveen kumar 1,472
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 11 min ChristineM 841,661
Is LIfe boring ? 26 min Irecknso_ 2
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 31 min pusherman_ 591,359
9/11&bin 50 min REV CAROL 1
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Peace_Warrior 612,278
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 1 hr Tony 5,868
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 hr MUQ2 271,466
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 8 hr RiccardoFire 100,205
More from around the web