Why I’m no longer a Christian

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#425209 Dec 8, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> That is all i am arguing for at this point. Atheist, agnostic, Muslem, worldwide and for centuries before. There is perhaps a handful who are Jesus mythers.
<quoted text> Worry about all the nasty crap you did in life. I would not be Christian if i did not believe He rose from the dead and anyone who calls themselves Christian and does not believe He rose from the dead is deluded and wrong. You are right. Many historians do not believe He rose from the dead. Many here belive Jesus is a fictional character or claim ignorance. The problem many have is explaining what happened after He died given all that is known. Ehrman simply concludes he does not know what happened. He does not believe resurrection happened.
Ah. Another one who thinks he's The Only True Christian.

38,000 sects and rising every day. All of them think you're wrong. Why should we believe any of you? You all make the claim that only you have the right answer, yet none of you agree. Are we to go 'eenie meenie miney mo'? Which is the best way to decide which of the 38,000+ sects is correct?

You won't even get that. And now we'll hear something about that old rascal the holey sprite. Tells everyone what they want to hear.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#425210 Dec 8, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> That is based on anti supernatural assumption which apply to all events at all times. Based on the less than 1% of all there is to know you actually know.
When you are able to present this 'supernatural', we'll take another look.

I realized after I left the church that most or all of the things I attributed to God was simply my hard work, the hard work of others, pure chance. Prayers do not get answered at even the same rate as dice fall the way you want them to, but you'll take one out of a thousand and call it success and say your prayers are answered.

If you asked me to do a thousand things and I only did one of them for you, you wouldn't consider that to be success. Why do you call it a success when one of your prayers out of a thousand is answered the way you asked it to be?

I know. God says 'no'. God says 'maybe'. So do humans. That's just an excuse for prayers not being answered.

I personally believe that meditation does the same thing, only better, because you actually have to put yourself into it.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#425211 Dec 8, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>He gets a little older, wire him up on sugar, video games and cartoons - and give him back.
Hehehe.
Congrats, Wiggles!
I see you've already got this figured out ahead of time.

I am accused of spoiling mine too much. There is no such thing!

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#425212 Dec 8, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Video games are a sedative. Buy him water toys.*evil grin*
Or anything that makes lots of noise. Heh heh heh

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#425213 Dec 8, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Agreed, except perhaps for the religion part. I would add my belief in the resurrection of Christ is best explanation given all we know about the actual incident and it's growth.
You really don't know anything about it. Nothing was written about it during the time it happened. It was tacked onto scripture late in the game. The oldest copies of the gospels have nothing whatsoever in them about a resurrection. Yet you defiantly and ignorantly tell everyone you 'know'. You don't. You believe. Learn the difference.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#425214 Dec 8, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> They believe Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist. Crucified via Pilate. Paul met with James in Jerusalem. Paul wrote Galatians. <quoted text> i do not know if believing in resurrection is a threat to credentials. Historians who do still work and teach. But you do bring up an interesting point. How narrow minded people in academia really are.
People who are 'historians' would not make those claims. People who are apologists claiming to be historians would.

You are ignorant how historical data is gathered. Now I suppose you're going to tell us you're a historian.

“What do I know?”

Since: Apr 08

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#425215 Dec 8, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Fear mongering BS.
Voltaire, a fear-mongering bullshitter.

Interesting assertion.

Good luck backing that up.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#425216 Dec 8, 2012
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey there Clown. Thanks a bunch!!! It's a boy!! Gotta get him ready for Daytona.
another NASCAR fan s born! congrats wiggles

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#425217 Dec 8, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It's all they can do, since learning is against their religion.
are you a dude

“SPEBSQSA”

Since: Aug 08

Maryland

#425218 Dec 8, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Agreed, except perhaps for the religion part. I would add my belief in the resurrection of Christ is best explanation given all we know about the actual incident and it's growth.
The "except for the religion part" is always the deal breaker.

“SPEBSQSA”

Maryland

#425219 Dec 8, 2012
DearthOfCouth wrote:
<quoted text>
The Wiggler's grandson narrowly missed being born on Pearl Harbor day.
Congratulations, MW!
(And don't worry -- you get used to people calling you "Grandpa.")
Actually DoC, my wife's Father was born on Dec 7th. She was kinda rooting for another Dec 7 birthday.
Oh well, close enough...

Thanks DoC.

“SPEBSQSA”

Maryland

#425220 Dec 8, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Historians do not consider the Bible a book of heresay and legends as a whole. They glean certain facts. Pilate,for example. Like I said before. Jesus was crucified via Pilate. Early Christians believe Jesus resurrected. This is validatd history. Many historians do not believe Jesus resurrcted.
There is no doubt that validated history records people actually believed a man named jesus was resurrected. That does not establish that the event actually occurred.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#425221 Dec 8, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> They believe Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist. Crucified via Pilate. Paul met with James in Jerusalem. Paul wrote Galatians. <quoted text> i do not know if believing in resurrection is a threat to credentials. Historians who do still work and teach. But you do bring up an interesting point. How narrow minded people in academia really are.
They are not narrow-minded. In fact, they are quite the opposite.

They go by actual facts. They do not go on belief. Belief should take no part in historical research, and for all those who are honest and reputable, it doesn't.

You are the narrow-minded person. You will not look at anything that disagrees with your beliefs. That is fear at work, whether you want to admit that to yourself or not.

I know. I was there for decades.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#425222 Dec 8, 2012
DearthOfCouth wrote:
<quoted text>
The Wiggler's grandson narrowly missed being born on Pearl Harbor day.
Congratulations, MW!
(And don't worry -- you get used to people calling you "Grandpa.")
One of the nicest names he could ever be called.

Nana works fine for me. And I love to hear those little ones say that word, followed by 'I love you as much as the moon and stars and sun and all the planets'. That's a lotta love, buddy.
Think About It

Magalia, CA

#425223 Dec 8, 2012
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no doubt that validated history records people actually believed a man named jesus was resurrected. That does not establish that the event actually occurred.
True, but do you know of any historical records that present an alternative event took place?

“SPEBSQSA”

Maryland

#425224 Dec 8, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. congratulations Gramps! Time to buy a baseball, bat and mitt. Enjoy !!..
Already have all three...we'll see who breaks the first window...haha

“SPEBSQSA”

Maryland

#425225 Dec 8, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>I see you've already got this figured out ahead of time.
I am accused of spoiling mine too much. There is no such thing!
I have no intention of spoiling...now I'll admit to being a devious infiltrator all day long...haha.

“SPEBSQSA”

Maryland

#425226 Dec 8, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Or anything that makes lots of noise. Heh heh heh
Yes!!!!!!
Noted and implemented...hehe

“SPEBSQSA”

Maryland

#425227 Dec 8, 2012
Think About It wrote:
<quoted text>
True, but do you know of any historical records that present an alternative event took place?
I have never been aware of nor concerned about some alternative historical event.
Is there some significance to your question?
Huh

Arlington, TX

#425228 Dec 8, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> We? If what you do know is unknown then why should anyone believe you?
<quoted text> Yes you cna. It is called learning.
<quoted text> Cannot not exist? Is that the proper use of English language?
You're really not very bright, are you? I can't believe the simple concept flew right by you. Weird.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min Scaritual 87,872
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 17 min lightbeamrider 3,948
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 20 min Gabriel 977,197
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 23 min onemale 284,471
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 26 min Seentheotherside 45,790
Queen Cleopatra was clearly Black. White people... (Aug '10) 36 min Johnny 1,219
meth business 55 min smoke nothing 1
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 1 hr Peter Ross 446
The Future of Politics in America 3 hr Nohweh 174
More from around the web