Why I’m no longer a Christian

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#424536 Dec 5, 2012
agentalpine wrote:
I am Still a Christian
For 25 Years Part Regilious I am 26 & I am Not into Babylon The Great The Empire of False Regilion & Poltics & or The Government These People Are No One's Friends or Family I Do Not Vote on Account of My Relious Views I am a .J.W. & i Believe Jesus Christ is My Savior & Leader & Lord My Arch Angel Future King He Has Been Ruling in Heaven Since 1914 & God is a Different Spirit & He Has Billion's of Angel's & Arch Angel's & Only God The All Mighty & Powerful He is The Sovereign No One is More Powerful & Mighty Not a Human or Army or Navy or Police or US Marshalls Are a Match For His Powers or Relious Leader's or Occults or Mid-Evil Humans Who Believe in Black Magic or Darkest Magic or Spiritsem & I Do Not Practice Magic or Spiritsem That is Works of Demon's & Mid-Evil Spirits & Witche's & Wizard's & False Regilious Views Teach Human's How Too Be a Human God.
Nice rant. Why all the capital letters? You said nothing important.

Did you say you are a JA? That stands for Jackass.

“What do I know?”

Since: Apr 08

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#424538 Dec 5, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Actually all you have to do is not get along with WN for that to happen. after years of being friends with mac all it took was Nymph playing her usual games of trying to start fights by asking stupid questions in which she thinks insults are hidden....
This all sounds like nothing but childish nonsense to me.

I'm doing my best to scroll past it from now on.

Bye.

“What do I know?”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#424539 Dec 5, 2012
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
With me there are NO sides...it is what it is...don't take my "cutting" your beliefs as "camping". I have no camps...only actuality the best as I can see it. So, there will surely be times that we will be sorely at odds-and then times that we will entirely agree.
There are times that I am entirely disgusted with the stupidity and/or ignorance and arrogance of the "god" camp and like to completely decimate and destroy the entire idiom from it's essence(including yours in the process),but what is the point? Could do more harm than good...so I just STFU...if you know what I mean...and I think you do.
"Truth" is not even a question of "sides" or "camps"...it is what it is...I know what it IS!
Indeed.

Well said, imo.

“What do I know?”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#424540 Dec 5, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
...You and others here define Christianity by abuses done by folks who call themselves Christians and not what it actually is. By now you should know what it is. It is Jesus Christ. Jesus as Messiah. Resurrected Messiah. Your rejection has more to do with psychological or emotional rather than intellectual. It has little to do with Jesus Christ and more to do with your grandparents. Did you ever believe Christ resurrected? Jesus as God/Man? Exclusive Savior of the world? I really don't think you were ever Christian. More so a church goer. That means you cannot leave where you never been. You left the Church. Anyways that is my impression.
An intellectual basis, it seems to me, is where Christianity is weakest: God cloned himself and became a man, then had himself murdered as atonement for us and a sacrifice to himself, thereby saving us all from -- himself.

Yes, I did believe it for a while. People I trusted told me it was true and why would they lie to me?

Eventually, though, I decided that my life is better without invisible friends of any description.

And so it has.

“http://www.stude ntshelp.info”

Since: Dec 12

http://www.studentshelp.info

#424541 Dec 5, 2012
lol

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#424542 Dec 5, 2012
DearthOfCouth wrote:
An intellectual basis, it seems to me, is where Christianity is weakest: God cloned himself and became a man, then had himself murdered as atonement for us and a sacrifice to himself, thereby saving us all from -- himself.
A crude and somewhat inaccurate way of putting it but i think you have the basics. I noticed you did not address the Resurrection as actual event. All the experts agree Jesus existed and was crucified via Pilate. Be they Muslem, agnostic, atheist, or even liberal Christian.
Yes, I did believe it for a while. People I trusted told me it was true and why would they lie to me?
Actually i don't think they did. They told you what you needed to hear and you rejected it and in part, blamed them.
Eventually, though, I decided that my life is better without invisible friends of any description.
And so it has.
Yeah, Life on the Titanic was good too. At least for a while.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#424544 Dec 5, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to have a fair amount of faith just to think that you can know what Christ taught.
I agree. Then again, that is the point. As to whether someone changed or manipulated the story, to what end? Historians outside of Christianity confirm Christ lived, had followers that were Christians and was crucified. But the message certainly doesn't warrant suspicion imo. Love your neighbor, enemy, and brother. Clothe the naked, feed the poor, be humble, do unto others as you would have them do unto you, etc, etc. If it is a con it is a mighty strange con. But yes I take on faith that Christ spoke these words. I suppose almost anything we are not there for first hand we must take on some element of faith, even history books or war journals or official records or whatever. While organized religion can be manipulated for power and profit there is nothing in the words of Christ that shouldn't resonate with all men. Anything taken on faith means there is always a possibility we are wrong. If I am wrong on this it would only be on who said it, the message is beyond reproach. Sometimes you have to trust you gut. Faith can't be explained empirically. It just is the way it is. If I had more to give you for an answer I would
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the basis for a trust that you don't need to understand everything? Did not understanding something end up being beneficial to you in the past? Did you really mean "faith"? I suppose that if you can't find the answers, faith will do in a pinch. That is what it is for. The Theory of Evolution, for example, doesn't require any faith. That's not to say that you couldn't use faith to believe it, but it isn't necessary. I don't have any faith at all, and can't think of a reason that I would ever need it.
Of course it requires faith, a faith in science. You can't even say what the first life form was or where it came from or what it evolved into. Yet you state for a fact our species evolved from a starting point you can't even explain. Going back how far can you trace man's evolution? How do you know where that ends isn't the beginning of the evolution cycle?

As to your question is there a benefit from not being able to explain everything? Of course not. But there also isn't always a harm.You can't possibly think you know everything there is to know about everything you know about. But it is meaningless to you? Yes a few verses verses out of hundreds of thousands are complicated. I'm ok with that
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
An argument that I will make any time I can, is that faith does much more harm than good, and ridding ourselves of it would be awesome. Rational skepticism, and everywhere it leads, is simply better.
I don't know what you base that on. What could you provide as proof as man not believing in a higher power has pretty much always been the vast minority. Societies have almost all had elements of faith so to say you know one without would be better is simply guessing. You would have to know every good event tied to it and then every bad event and compare afterwards. Its pure speculation

But I will try to wrap up in this room as I only followed a link and had no intention of staying outside of asking about the health of someone. It turned into what it did. But it now is a waste of time. But I will finish what is here

Location hidden

#424545 Dec 5, 2012
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>OK whatever...then DON'T push my buttons.
I havv no problem going there with you or anyone else either...none at all. Peace
BT42
Fair enough. Your inquiry on why I was posting here has generally been used in the past as the opposite of welcome mat for Christians. I may have assumed your intent incorrectly. As you will see in any room, nobody really cares what people think who should post where. If you say you weren't making any statements by your question I don't have any reason to doubt you

Peace

Location hidden

#424546 Dec 5, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
From my perspective, a god is just a projection of values held by those that wrote about it. I haven't seen one that would appeal to everyone, particularly because we've already got so many gods out there in circulation. People like their gods. They don't give them up easily. It doesn't matter so much if the god is good or bad. People will believe which ever one makes it into their head first. If there is a perfect god, it can't appear perfect to everyone, so who is it perfect to? Who is judging what is perfect? If the god itself is judging, I would be worried about that.
Well like you pretty much say, it is all subjective, including your feelings on each religion as well. But I would agree to a certain extent that people aren't going to subscribe to a faith that is in contrast to their own values. But it isn't simply a system for morality.

You have rejected Christianity correct? Do you reject the idea of God in general? If so I doubt anything I say in this regard would matter much. But if not I think you may be able to relate to some of what I will say here and that is imo people run the risk of getting too caught up in the organized portion of religion. Yes I study the Bible and believe and enjoy learning about it and debating it. But at the end of the day if I never saw a Bible again it wouldn't make any difference. All organized religion should be is the stepping stone. After that the relationship becomes personal between man and God.

cont

Location hidden

#424547 Dec 5, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
My words stand on their own merit, they need no help from you.
Your words are what you are running from. You claimed Christians that got in your face deserved to be charge with assault and jailed. What were the circumstances you were referring to?

I am a patient man Karl, especially when dealing with liars. I have no problem reminding you when you post to me that you have some things to clear up. After all, what would be the point in responding to anything else you write? By tomorrow you could not stand behind those words and the whole exchange would be even more pointless than usual with you.

If you can be a man and explain under what circumstances these events happened in which you advocating taking away a person's freedom then I will know for sure what you meant. I suspect you are a liar and I know you are a bigot. This will help to measure just how insane you are though if you were talking about jailing people for what they say on Topix in regards to their religious beliefs. Truly society will be far better off with people like you removed. Bigots have no redeeming social values. Its ironic that for all your blather you can't see the irony that nothing could be more parasitic on society than you. Oh some can give you a run for your money. Maybe even tie you in a race to the insanity finish line. But you are every ounce as bad in truth than the rhetoric you spout about others

You harass and badger people repeatedly on the internet and then would see them put in prison for their replies to you. You meant that which was the scary part. You are a lunatic.

Location hidden

#424548 Dec 5, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
The big problem I have with belief is this. Suppose one must believe in order to find eternal bliss and salvation. According to most Christian Religions, one has but a single lifetime to do that. Now suppose one is born without enough intelligence to know the difference. Then what? They go to hell? Suppose one seeks but loses their mind and ability to believe. Was that enough to purchase eternal bliss and salvation? God is supposed to be a god of love and compassion. Is conditional love really love? If God's love is unconditional, then Hell cannot exist. All must be forgiven or none are forgiven right? So what is the point of sin and salvation? Why is belief even necessary?
don't have the time to go into it right now and you probably aren't that interested in the specifics, if i am wrong then let me know and I can provide the verses. But despite what mainstream Christianity teaches there is next to nothing to support the idea of eternal suffering for man, just for the beast and false prophet.

In fact other than one verse that states man will be divided with some going off to eternal punishment and some to eternal life (which could easily mean a place of eternal punishment) there is nothing to suggest anything but annihilation of the soul. It is described in dozens of verses as the second death, to avoid second death one must be saved, the soul that sinneth dies, fear he who can destroy both body and soul in hell, you have saved my soul from death and so on and so on.

So the point I am making is one can save themselves with belief. If they don't believe they simply die as they would have naturally anyway and kind of hard to complain they don't get to go to a place they never believed in and for some even mocked. There is no punishment for lack of belief, you simply are not rewarded.

Now as to why some believe and some don't, that I couldn't answer. I know why some walk away or have some ideas, some may be right, some may be wrong. But as for never having faith I don't know. I personally think someone has to first be open to the idea that man is not the top of the universe, that there is something greater than us keeping all sorts of things goings, many of which people take for granted that they call karma or having a conscience that works in the exact opposite way man is designed.

Is it fair someone lives a good life and is a good person and for whatever reason doesn't believe that they can't be saved? I don't know. It sucks if that is the case. Maybe it is also man trying to play ownership with God? If there was ever a belief to find out we had wrong I hope it is that one. But nobody will ever know this side of life

(T) Peace

Location hidden

#424549 Dec 5, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>

Why do we assume that a god would have to care about us? Couldn't it just as easily not care? We project values onto the gods we create based on what we want, or what we think we need, or what we fear, or what is useful. Why believe one story over another?
As a rational skeptic, I treat all supernatural claims the same way. I've done the work. There aren't any standouts as far as god claims. They all have equal validity. None offers any better evidence than another. There is a reason people adopt specific religions, instead of Deism. Those reasons have little to do with the differences in the beliefs.
I agree that God certainly by definition would not need to care about man. At the same time, why create something you don't care about? I don't think man is saying out of any sense of pride like look how special we are that of course even God cares what we are up to. I think it is much more of a humble approach that despite giving him every reason to wash his hands with the whole experiment and be done with it that he does care.

I understand your reasoning but I feel like you are working at it backwards. Like you are saying well of course man wants God to care or to have values he has so he makes him that way so he can believe. But you can say the same things about almost any relationship where you love someone. Would you love someone and be in a relationship with them if you didn't respect, whose values you did not share, who did not love you or did not want what is best for you? The fact that there are good reasons to us why we look to God for guidance and love Him doesn't mean those reasons were manufactured.
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Lots of people say that their god is a perfect god, yet they are not compatible. Have you taken a serious look at religion, the phenomenon? I think it was inevitable for the human race. Whether gods exist or not, we would invent them. I think we should both be able to agree that, at the very least, most gods are just made up and have nothing to do with any divine inspiration. If that can be true of the majority, why couldn't it be true, and likely, for all gods?
Even if it were true I still wouldn't think that means there is no God. It would simply mean man's attempt to lay claim to Him and describe him was wrong. I have no doubt there is a God. The only question in my mind would be how much about Him that we think we know is actually true? We may all be surprised at the answers come the end. But I don't doubt at all the existence of God no matter how many organized religions have it wrong
Merideth the Lazy Liar

Charlotte, NC

#424550 Dec 5, 2012
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
HipGnosis wrote: <quoted text>Christianity doesn't exist without Hebrew scripture for it's base...
<quoted text>
Consistency
Another 11/29 in county lock-up... again... Mr. Norris?
Merideth the Lazy Liar

Charlotte, NC

#424551 Dec 5, 2012
Nevaeh wrote:
Does anyone know what Xcntrik InVedor is up to?
Back out on the streets after doing more time.

“What do I know?”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#424552 Dec 5, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> A crude and somewhat inaccurate way of putting it but i think you have the basics. I noticed you did not address the Resurrection as actual event. All the experts agree Jesus existed and was crucified via Pilate. Be they Muslem, agnostic, atheist, or even liberal Christian.
<quoted text> Actually i don't think they did. They told you what you needed to hear and you rejected it and in part, blamed them.
<quoted text> Yeah, Life on the Titanic was good too. At least for a while.
My suspicion is, the resurrection was all public relations. It think there are plenty of more plausible suggestions -- they buried him in the wrong crypt, they never buried him in the first place, someone broke in and stole the body, etc.-- than the claim, a corpse got up and walked away.

Interesting analogy: my life the Titanic, religion an iceberg. I decline to let fear rule my life, however.
Merideth the Lazy Liar

Charlotte, NC

#424553 Dec 5, 2012
Marlowe taking turns pounding me and Staph. I love how dogs have just one speed... wfo. Lol.
Merideth the Lazy Liar

Charlotte, NC

#424554 Dec 5, 2012
DearthOfCouth wrote:
<quoted text>
My suspicion is, the resurrection was all public relations. It think there are plenty of more plausible suggestions -- they buried him in the wrong crypt, they never buried him in the first place, someone broke in and stole the body, etc.-- than the claim, a corpse got up and walked away.
Interesting analogy: my life the Titanic, religion an iceberg. I decline to let fear rule my life, however.
What a campaign! Especially compared to yours...
He has a billion followers.
You have... 4?

Bwahahahahahahah!

Location hidden

#424555 Dec 5, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> The same could be said of Heaven. They love the idea of Heaven.
I miss posts for some reason using my phone. Sorry I just saw this

I agree

lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text>
I would say if one is filled with the Spirit of God which is the same Spirit which raised Christ from the dead then behavior change is a supernatural result. Paul was set apart from the womb. Galatians 1:15. Luke must have loved the idea too. John the Baptist leaped in his mothers womb Lk. 1:41. Jacob was chosen over Esau from before the womb. <quoted text> So all The Messiah offers probationary salvation and is only effected if we tow the line?
<quoted text> The circumstances were different. Different cultures. Paul preached resurrected Christianity to a Gentile audience and Jesus to the Jews. They had a common demoninator in the Old Testament. The argument was over the interpretation. Jesus claimed to be the son of God, son of man, the Messiah wheras the Jews thought Him guilty of blasphemy and other Old Testament crimes. In the Old the Messiah comes in either one of two ways or both at different times. Riding on a donkey or in the clouds of Heaven. Jesus came riding on a donkey. When He comes again it will be clouds of heaven. As in Daniel 7:13. Compare Matthew 26:64-65. Jesus tells the high Priest the Son of man will come in the clouds of Heaven and the High Priest tears his robes and accuses Jesus of blasphemy. The Priest understood the claim but did not believe it true.
Some were predestined. Most receive grace by hearing the word and receiving faith. However we would agree nobody can understand and believe without faith right? And yet we are told

Luke 8:13
They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.

and shown why we must remain faithful

1John 2:24
As for you, see that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. 25 And this is what he promised us—eternal life.

John 15
9"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.
10If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love.

It is an ongoing debate of course so not going to get too much into once-saved versus obedience but obviously i believe people can believe and still be disobedient or why bother to warn us of the consequences of not doing so and why can some that believe fall away during temptation?

Yes man can do nothing to aid in his salvation. But he can turn his back on God

2Timothy 2:12
if we endure, we will also reign with him. If we disown him, he will also disown us;

In which case

Hebrews 10:26
If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left

JMO

Peace

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#424557 Dec 5, 2012
DearthOfCouth wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello DearthOfCouth. If I may, I'd like to address this post of yours. A few points to consider relating to the resurrection of Jesus Christ. First century Jews had no reason to believe that a singular person would be raised from the dead. The Pharisees believed in a collective resurrection on the day of judgement, and the Sadducees did not. Nobody expected a Messiah to willingly give up mortal life and then come back. In this cultural context, why would disciples make up such a story unless there was a very good reason for believing it? And that only prompts a further question;
what reason would there be to believe unless it had been witnessed or at least believed to have been witnessed?

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#424558 Dec 5, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>

Note that a few months ago Mac, WN and Kate had no problem with me because I was confronting "believers" on their BS. Then as soon as the shoe was on the other foot, I was suddenly a POS.
Seems this is just a game and no one really gives a shit about more than "their team wins".
It has little to do with "Why I'm no longer a Christian". It is a "Whose side are you on ?" virtual reality game.
I can't, and won't try to, answer for anyone but myself here.

I've told you before that I've always liked you. That means even when your behavior is not so likable.

I don't have a problem with you believing differently than do I. If you'd like to blame our tiffs on that, go ahead. It just won't be the truth.

The ONLY problem I have with you is when you go off on a bent trying to prove yourself the most intelligent person in the universe, to the extent that you post personal information to prove it. I personally think that's crazy, but it's your opotion.

Notice that I have continued to talk to you. I have continued to agree with you when your views and mine are the same. I continue to disagree when they are not. It's not a game of 'sides'. It's personal opinion and nothing more. I agree with you many times, sometimes I don't. It's really just that simple.

Now, if you don't want internet acquaintances who like you but disagree with you at times to talk to you, just say so. I thought that was the purpose of a discussion board, but if you'd like for only those who agree with you to remain 'friends', then it's your choice. There's nothing I can do or need to do or want to do about that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 min Pegasus 280,514
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min truth 29,367
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min Rosesz 637,823
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 7 min Card Carrying Zio... 181,925
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 17 min truth 618,234
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 23 min LAWEST100 44,211
Why was Prince cremated SO SOON after autopsy??? 31 min andet1987 3
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 hr Ooogah Boogah 968,837
More from around the web