Why I’m no longer a Christian

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#424507 Dec 4, 2012
Nevaeh wrote:
Does anyone know what Xcntrik InVedor is up to?
He must still be at least checking in every so often. saw a post from him just the other day in here

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#424508 Dec 4, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Yes. why did you ask is that why I am no longer a Christian when it was clear I still am? Are you confused as to how Topix works and that ppl dont have to qualify to post or even stay on topic?
Seeing that the topic is just that...why or what was you purpose for even opening in such a topic? EXACTLY "what" is your motive if you are not an "ex-xtian"? Lest it just be to promote your burden of man.
WTF?

Location hidden

#424509 Dec 4, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Do better, or don't.
Just don't be surprised if people notice.
People are welcome to notice whatever they want.They should notice I dont post any of these people first and dont talk about any of these people first. Quite honestly anything someone has to say to me that cant see that and wants to hold me to a standard they dont hold others to isnt gonna bother me much. I suspect you see quite a bit and also have friends involved so I am not gonna push the issue. I will say that if someone wants better from me and also wants better of others and especially if they make efforts to act better themself then they will prob have my attention.The last thing I will say is there is a reason I explained myself to you where most I would not. I will leave it at that.(T) PEACE

Location hidden

#424510 Dec 4, 2012
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Seeing that the topic is just that...why or what was you purpose for even opening in such a topic? EXACTLY "what" is your motive if you are not an "ex-xtian"? Lest it just be to promote your burden of man.
WTF?
Maybe Topix means something different to you than it does to me. You seem to be strugglng with emotions and reading an awful lot into why someone would enter a room. I mainly just look to chat with friends or have good discussions or debates. And yes there is some friction at times between posters. But Topix is pretty much just a way for me to kill some time and maybe learn a thing or two. I dont worry too much about what someone might believe the implications might be for why someone enters. But you are welcome to speculate with others obviously. For me, there really is nothing as elaborate as you seem to think

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#424511 Dec 4, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
Edit tide...and since i am going from memory and skimmed it I will just add one more which was an inference from nympyh i want mac up my ass cusw thats how i like it. I am sure if i went back and actually read it there would be a lot more.again..the only difference is what i say is centered around the truth even if just as nasty. but ppl shouldnt bring it to me if they cant handle it. can u say in the short time u have known me that u dont see me basically try to respond in kind, however it goes? it is what it is
My honest evaluation, is that you like for conversations to devolve. You certainly don't do much to raise the bar. Is that a good justification for you? Do you come here looking to sling mud? I can avoid it. I've posted with psychopaths and sociopaths. Their behavior doesn't dictate my response.

"responding in kind" - This resembles "eye for an eye" more than "turn the other cheek".

Why do you respond in kind? What do you expect when you do that?

I noticed from the start that you were only civil when it was easy for you. That isn't really civility. You lose control easily and quickly. You are responsible for that. What other people say does not have to affect you the way that it seems to. If you can't make your points while remaining civil, perhaps your points are too weak to stand on their own.

I don't feel any obligation to point out everyone's character flaws. Everyone has them. I notice them. Most people get along fine even though they aren't "perfect". You aren't playing well with others, though. I think you could if you wanted to. Do you think you can? Do you want to?

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#424512 Dec 4, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>That isnt what you said before. You are changing your story. Is it because you lied before and no Christians had ever gotten in your face in real life or is it because you wanted to be able to put people in jail for how they responded to you on Topix? Why cant you stand behind your own words?
your lies mark you as a christian

you debating approach marks you as a charlatan

you should pray

Location hidden

#424513 Dec 4, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
Hell I even wiped my ass with the Book of Leviticus. Next I'll use Romans.
poor choice leviticus is already filthy

Location hidden

#424514 Dec 4, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe Topix means something different to you than it does to me. You seem to be strugglng with emotions and reading an awful lot into why someone would enter a room. I mainly just look to chat with friends or have good discussions or debates. And yes there is some friction at times between posters. But Topix is pretty much just a way for me to kill some time and maybe learn a thing or two. I dont worry too much about what someone might believe the implications might be for why someone enters. But you are welcome to speculate with others obviously. For me, there really is nothing as elaborate as you seem to think
LOL!
Which of us is struggling here? Surely not me! You have made more enemy's in 2 days than I could in a lifetime...and YOU want to give ME advice???LOL!!! WTF?!
Rotflmao!

Location hidden

#424515 Dec 4, 2012
Edit Tide....I never said anybodys actions force a response. for starters I get along with more people 'across the aisle' so-to-speak than most ppl on Topix. And that is because many people on both sides, your 'karls' on your side for example simply are gonna be looking for a fight. Now could I hold my tongue? Sure. I do it constantly in the form of NEVER writning to certain people first. But for someone who told me if someone wants to play the insult game he will play it and he is very good at it please dont shovel what you are shoveling in my direction. I start off nice with everyone and dont enage anybody that isnt. you want more than that then start holding those that start it accountable

Location hidden

#424516 Dec 4, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe Topix means something different to you than it does to me. You seem to be strugglng with emotions and reading an awful lot into why someone would enter a room. I mainly just look to chat with friends or have good discussions or debates. And yes there is some friction at times between posters. But Topix is pretty much just a way for me to kill some time and maybe learn a thing or two. I dont worry too much about what someone might believe the implications might be for why someone enters. But you are welcome to speculate with others obviously. For me, there really is nothing as elaborate as you seem to think
LOL! Elaboration? Your entire religion is an elaboration.

Location hidden

#424517 Dec 4, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
Tide...responding here for space. sure an example would be I had doubts as to whether the Bible was inspired by God because it seemed to me like Paul's teachings contradicted those of Christ. It took a tremendous amount of study and learning verses and who they were said to and finding other sscripture that included points I thought lost to be able to harmonize the Bible in a way I was comfortable with and not just some rationalization or because someone told me. It is why it is the rare exception I cant tell someone the exacts scriptures why I believe everything I do and why I believe the Bible harmonizes. are there still some things that stump me? yes. but nothing major and I trust that i dont need to understand everything. There was a second part but gotta go back and look.As for the third anything taken on faith is what God does that I am referring to. How do you mean that affects others? Nothing i do on faith affects anyone but me
your post is devoid of anything, everything; save hubris.

show me one sentence which explains any part of your belief, or delineates the god.

Location hidden

#424518 Dec 4, 2012
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>LOL!
Which of us is struggling here? Surely not me! You have made more enemy's in 2 days than I could in a lifetime...and YOU want to give ME advice???LOL!!! WTF?!
Rotflmao!
Actually this post is what I meant by struggling. You seem to go to wild extremes and have a hard time just staying even keeled. Even the last post, the level of emphasis on you wanting me to see how confident you are in yourself was bizarre. I suspect how you view Topix ties into this. Look at the extreme humerous emotion you now show in your response.You seem like your motor is always on very high one way or the other and that is just from the little I have read from you. You should try to relax and put things in perspective. This is just an internet chatroom. Real emotions should rarely ever run as excitable as yours do in seemingly every post

Location hidden

#424519 Dec 4, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
your lies mark you as a christian
you debating approach marks you as a charlatan
you should pray
Tsk tsk Karl.....anybody that saw your post in the other room knows you are lying. I guess you figure you have no credibility anyway so whats the difference? Still when a man cant even stand behind his words on an anonymous chatroom that is about as weak as it gets. You need faith

Location hidden

#424520 Dec 4, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
Tide...responding here for space. sure an example would be I had doubts as to whether the Bible was inspired by God because it seemed to me like Paul's teachings contradicted those of Christ.
You have to have a fair amount of faith just to think that you can know what Christ taught. How many middlemen stood in between the person "Jesus" and what is attributed to "Jesus"?

I wouldn't trust a stranger with my soul, if I thought I had one. You're trusting a bunch of them, and you don't even know who all of them are.

What is your standard for accepting the word of a complete stranger, who is long dead, and came from an ancient society? Imagine this stranger is politically motivated, untrained in critical thinking, and easily swayed by mob mentality.
Skombolis wrote:
It took a tremendous amount of study and learning verses and who they were said to and finding other sscripture that included points I thought lost to be able to harmonize the Bible in a way I was comfortable with and not just some rationalization or because someone told me. It is why it is the rare exception I cant tell someone the exacts scriptures why I believe everything I do and why I believe the Bible harmonizes. are there still some things that stump me? yes. but nothing major and I trust that i dont need to understand everything.
What is the basis for a trust that you don't need to understand everything? Did not understanding something end up being beneficial to you in the past? Did you really mean "faith"? I suppose that if you can't find the answers, faith will do in a pinch. That is what it is for. The Theory of Evolution, for example, doesn't require any faith. That's not to say that you couldn't use faith to believe it, but it isn't necessary. I don't have any faith at all, and can't think of a reason that I would ever need it.
Skombolis wrote:
There was a second part but gotta go back and look.As for the third anything taken on faith is what God does that I am referring to. How do you mean that affects others? Nothing i do on faith affects anyone but me
Your faith has a ripple effect on events. It will affect others. It could have a positive impact on others, or it could be negative. It's going to play a roll. If you were to negatively impact another person, because of some faith based belief, your justification may be completely imaginary. For that reason, it is unethical. We know this because of all the harm that faith has caused. Faith isn't a good enough reason to hurt anyone. Even if you thought I was Satan, you shouldn't act as if that is true. Faith often breeds dangerous delusions. Removing these dangers is something I consider very important. It's far too dangerous, considering that many of the benefits are most likely imaginary.

An argument that I will make any time I can, is that faith does much more harm than good, and ridding ourselves of it would be awesome. Rational skepticism, and everywhere it leads, is simply better.

Location hidden

#424521 Dec 4, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Actually this post is what I meant by struggling. You seem to go to wild extremes and have a hard time just staying even keeled. Even the last post, the level of emphasis on you wanting me to see how confident you are in yourself was bizarre. I suspect how you view Topix ties into this. Look at the extreme humerous emotion you now show in your response.You seem like your motor is always on very high one way or the other and that is just from the little I have read from you. You should try to relax and put things in perspective. This is just an internet chatroom. Real emotions should rarely ever run as excitable as yours do in seemingly every post
Whatever you say mr skom. When would you like to start the dissertation or annihilation of your particular religion.

Location hidden

#424522 Dec 4, 2012
Would you prefer others participate? Or would you rather them not? It is totally up to you. I do not need any help in this process whatsoever. Please state that which you believe and the branch of belief you wish to put under scrutiny.

Location hidden

#424523 Dec 4, 2012
Tide.....heading home. too much in there to even attempt a response right now. will respond to this when i have the time. But if you dont mind indulging me on just one part now, in what way do you feel specifcally my faith has a negative ripple effect on anyone? not what church i attend or what other Christians may have done or others may have done in the name of Christianity but me specifically as an individual of faith? Or If your complaint is with the organized religion please clarify

Location hidden

#424524 Dec 4, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
Edit tide...meant to end that last part with nothing i take on faith affects anyone but me. but really the same either way as anything i do based on faith would be trying to follow the commandments to love. There is nothing i can think of that anyone would say i do based on faith that would be bad but you are welcome to inquire further to judge for yourself. as for judging God it is not like we are told we cant as much as i dont see how we could. and I dont think God is flawed. But didnt you first question the legitimact because a perfect God would have had to be created? So now why would one lack faith if God wasnt perfect? God simply would be who he is. my heart would be with my creator even if i didnt believe him perfect..i just happen to believe he is.
From my perspective, a god is just a projection of values held by those that wrote about it. I haven't seen one that would appeal to everyone, particularly because we've already got so many gods out there in circulation. People like their gods. They don't give them up easily. It doesn't matter so much if the god is good or bad. People will believe which ever one makes it into their head first. If there is a perfect god, it can't appear perfect to everyone, so who is it perfect to? Who is judging what is perfect? If the god itself is judging, I would be worried about that.

Why do we assume that a god would have to care about us? Couldn't it just as easily not care? We project values onto the gods we create based on what we want, or what we think we need, or what we fear, or what is useful. Why believe one story over another?

As a rational skeptic, I treat all supernatural claims the same way. I've done the work. There aren't any standouts as far as god claims. They all have equal validity. None offers any better evidence than another. There is a reason people adopt specific religions, instead of Deism. Those reasons have little to do with the differences in the beliefs.

Lots of people say that their god is a perfect god, yet they are not compatible. Have you taken a serious look at religion, the phenomenon? I think it was inevitable for the human race. Whether gods exist or not, we would invent them. I think we should both be able to agree that, at the very least, most gods are just made up and have nothing to do with any divine inspiration. If that can be true of the majority, why couldn't it be true, and likely, for all gods?

Location hidden

#424525 Dec 4, 2012
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>Whatever you say mr skom. When would you like to start the dissertation or annihilation of your particular religion.
Heh..I liked that. calm, a little witty even. The 'mr' is not a requirement but I wont stop you;) As for the rest you should know I have been on Topix a while which translates into a 'been there done that' kind of thing. Honestly while I have no doubt like those before you that you feel not only you pose a challenge but that I feel challened and consequently feel the need to participate to defend my faith. I can assure I do not. I dont even know you, why would I care what you think as it pertains to my beliefs? So thank you but no, I will pass. If from an ego-perspective, either yours or what you think will work on mine, i can save you time by letting you know nothing you say will change that. have a good one

Location hidden

#424526 Dec 4, 2012
Tide...great questions particularly why would God even care. started to texst and drive but that is just stupid. might be too tired tonight but will get back soon. Peace

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 9 min Rider on the Storm 92,655
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 11 min Rider on the Storm 183,626
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 16 min hojo 667,859
Everyone is a fool 18 min Jake999 2
News Letter: DNC accept responsibility 27 min Rider on the Storm 57
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 32 min Rider on the Storm 979,409
Anyone else think 9/11 was cool! (Feb '13) 36 min aaron wilms 14
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr Neville Thompson 286,044
More from around the web