Why I’m no longer a Christian
Merideth the Lazy Liar

Charlotte, NC

#424416 Dec 4, 2012
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Christianity doesn't exist without Hebrew scripture for it's base. Thus the two can't be separated.
Sure, you could say, "Oh, Christ could still have done his thing without resort to Hebrew prophecy".
I'd say, yes, I suppose he could. But he didn't. This is the story we're given, that this happened >because< that happened. The writers made the choice to ground their tale in Judaic precedents, and so the Christian must take it as a whole, or reject it as a whole.
This is a major problem with Judeo-Christianity. As free and open as you'd like to be while still operating within the faith, you are nonetheless bound, as if by an iron cage, by certain absolutes cast long before you were born. In my >opinion< based in my own study and contemplation, thinkers from the beginning have tried to mitigate the excesses and embarrassments of the tale as handed down. From Paul to John, to Zwingli, Calvin, and Luther, to the bewildering number of denominations today, thinkers have tried to work out a universal religion from within the bounds of the Judeo-Christian mythos. The task is impossible. Christianity early on codified itself by the NT canon, and further by the various creeds. Dr. Marcus Borg points this out clearly in his book "The Heart Of Christianity" - by crafting these creeds, Christianity defensively sought to set itself in stone, forever. Now they are bound by those words. Flexibility runs counter to credibility, ie, if you try and exempt this, attenuate that, and exalt the other, until it all works comfortably for you, the viewer outside the sanctuary is going to see what you've done, and question it's validity.
Don't get me wrong. I applaud your attempt. I really do. But let me put it this way. Perhaps YOU can rationalize a cozy place for yourself in this way, but once I truly examined that which underpinned my faith, I no longer could. I had to take it all, or question it all.
Same crap, different day... six years running.
Merideth the Lazy Liar

Charlotte, NC

#424417 Dec 4, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>True. Mac is so laid back he's almost horizontal. When you piss him off, you've really had to work at it.
Why would Skom think it's okay to talk to any woman like he does is okay? Why would he think that a man wouldn't step in at some point and say 'enough!'? No wonder he's alone.
Union hard, or Southern hard?

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#424418 Dec 4, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> yepidoodle. You can't do what he does, though. You're not allowed. You should just sit on the sidelines and agree with him rather than agreeing with me or anyone else. You're not allowed to take up for me, either. I should never have your support (or anyone else's, no matter if you feel that it is justified).
In other words, you should be up *his* ass. I think that's what he wants anyway.
That's what EVERY narcissist wants sis.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#424419 Dec 4, 2012
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hahahah! We just wanted ya ta know what it was like ta walk on water! Now back ta reality...
Yeah. Don't let his head swell too much. It's gonna take a while to wipe that smile off his face, though.

Location hidden

#424420 Dec 4, 2012
Merideth the Lazy Liar wrote:
<quoted text>
Union hard, or Southern hard?
You didn't go to see Father Guido did you?

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#424421 Dec 4, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I don't get to disliking folks all that easily.
Takes fairly serious effort on their part.
I defended Skom a time or two, on some other thread, until it became evident that he was quite prepared to put in said effort.
I've not liked him for some time now.
All on my own.
Is that okay with you, dear?
(*helpless laughter*
That'll put the cat among the pigeons!)
As always, you're on your own with your decisions. I've got your back, however.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#424422 Dec 4, 2012
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what EVERY narcissist wants sis.
Yes it is. Too bad they work so hard at getting just the opposite.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#424424 Dec 4, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> yepidoodle. You can't do what he does, though. You're not allowed. You should just sit on the sidelines and agree with him rather than agreeing with me or anyone else. You're not allowed to take up for me, either. I should never have your support (or anyone else's, no matter if you feel that it is justified).
In other words, you should be up *his* ass. I think that's what he wants anyway.
The day he or any of his ilk get to tell me what to do...

The Borderland of Sol

#424425 Dec 4, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> As always, you're on your own with your decisions. I've got your back, however.
I know.

And I, yours.

Thanks, dear.

The Borderland of Sol

#424426 Dec 4, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah. Don't let his head swell too much. It's gonna take a while to wipe that smile off his face, though.
ROFL.

C'mon, I'm almost as humble as Double Fine.

Since: Sep 10

Sacramento, CA

#424427 Dec 4, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
Another angle: When a poster "butts into" a conversation Skom is having with somebody, the interruptor is accused of obsessively posting to Skom, even stalking him.

Shades of paranoia.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#424428 Dec 4, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>The day he or any of his ilk get to tell me what to do...
I'd say that goes for everyone, including me.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#424429 Dec 4, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I know.
And I, yours.
Thanks, dear.
YW, hon.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#424430 Dec 4, 2012
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>ROFL.
C'mon, I'm almost as humble as Double Fine.
Almost...

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#424431 Dec 4, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Another angle: When a poster "butts into" a conversation Skom is having with somebody, the interruptor is accused of obsessively posting to Skom, even stalking him.
Shades of paranoia.
And don't forget, they're also a lunatic. Heavens to Mergatroid!

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#424432 Dec 4, 2012
Dash Riprock wrote:
<quoted text>With all due respect, this is a classic, non-evidential argument from ignorance.
That would be your ignorance not mine. Because you have no God with in you, don't judge me.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#424433 Dec 4, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> 'Within' is one word, not two.
Comparing yourself to God? You're going to have to fight with waassuupp and duststorm. They think they're God. My money is always on dusty. She'll whip your little puny butt.
I am so glad I have nothing to do with the God you and others here have invented.
Then your God is not perfect, therefore it is not God.

The Borderland of Sol

#424434 Dec 4, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> Almost...
Well, nobody's as humble as DF.

Just ask him.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#424435 Dec 4, 2012
Some Stoner Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
can i be a kate sock too? can i? huh? can i, can i, can i?? pleeeeeeze??
HAR HAR HAR!!
your dumb. Boo!!
ROLL TIDE!!!!
One pile of shit looks much like any other, T-Town.

Take off the labels and there isn't much difference between the lot of you.

Location hidden

#424436 Dec 4, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> Yes it is. Too bad they work so hard at getting just the opposite.
Well, it used to be that everyone holding other opinions would just keep quiet and cower(for obvious reasons). It ain't like that anymore. We are finally coming out of the abyss and making the truth known. Much of it even you yourself probably will not even accept.-but that's OK too. I can live with that. However, it is what it is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 35 min RoSesz 650,572
does any kids want to be completely naked for 2... 57 min Susan 2
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 hr Aura Mytha 56,165
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 2 hr Steve III 446
Will Atheism defeat religion by year 2038? (Feb '15) 2 hr Thinking 73
Need someone to talk here, are you in for sexua... 2 hr sanchezjason48 1
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 3 hr Steve III 44,972
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr bad bob 182,967
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 hr Hangman 971,867
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) Thu kobechi3 71
More from around the web