Why I’m no longer a Christian

“What do I know?”

Since: Apr 08

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#424331 Dec 4, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> You define Christianity by those who have used it as an excuse to murder their children. What is behind that? It can only be hate. Anytime a group is defined by it's extreme then hate is behind it.
DearthofCouth bought this to the table on page 20052 post 423999. His bio is on page 1.''raised from infancy by deeply religious people, surrounded by a family full of Baptists preachers, deacons and missionaries.
His people did not kill him.
He should know what Christianity is all about. He is not ignorant. Here is an interesting quote from post 3.
Dearth.''Wielded to power of language. I was able to wound someone deeply with a well timed and chosen, derisive remark.''
Not much has changed.
This is interesting.

This Christian has made outrageous and preposterous lies -- I commit and advocate infanticide, I hate someone for some reason -- and then supported them with edited, distorted "quotes" mined from stale old text.

But then, I guess that's the sort of thing Christians are comfortable with....

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#424332 Dec 4, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> Who is lightbeamrider?
*resolution finally cracking*

Who is John Galt?

“What do I know?”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#424333 Dec 4, 2012
Really wrote:
Just want to say this to the original poster. I met the Lord Jesus when I was 8. I think that you went ahead and accepted the Lord before the time you were meant to. You did what you thought at the time was the right thing to do. As another poster said, you must first be convicted by the Holy Spirit before you can be born again. Obviously, you were not convicted. If you had been convicted by the Holy Spirit, you would have felt different, there would have been a change in your heart. You obviously have never been "saved" or born again. I am going to pray for you, and I hope that you will pray yourself and invite Jesus into your heart. If you are sincere, that is all it takes.
I was saved as a child, then after I was grown up, I went through many years of doubt, until I prayed to God from my heart, and he showed me that I was truly saved when I was 8, I had just strayed away. Give Him another chance, and try again, this time with your heart. He is worthy, and so are you!
Convicted? I was never even charged!

OK, OK. Dumb joke. Sorry.

I did as you suggest, dozens of times between the ages of 12 and 24 or so. I never felt the presence of anyone or anything whatsoever. There was nothing there but me.

Either the lord speaks to you and ignores me or -- as I suspect -- it's all in your head. There is nothing there but you.

I can always be wrong, though.

Thanks for dropping by.
endtime

AOL

#424334 Dec 4, 2012

PROOF Obama's ReElection = ANTICHRIST_______

&fe ature=plcp

“http://www.stude ntshelp.info”

Since: Dec 12

http://www.studentshelp.info

#424335 Dec 4, 2012
it's all in our mind ...first be human and only human.

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#424336 Dec 4, 2012
DearthOfCouth wrote:
<quoted text>
Convicted? I was never even charged!
OK, OK. Dumb joke. Sorry.
I did as you suggest, dozens of times between the ages of 12 and 24 or so. I never felt the presence of anyone or anything whatsoever. There was nothing there but me.
Either the lord speaks to you and ignores me or -- as I suspect -- it's all in your head. There is nothing there but you.
I can always be wrong, though.
Thanks for dropping by.
Yo mate.

"Rings of Saturn Emporium"?

I recall two other very dear posters calling that their home town.

“What do I know?”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#424337 Dec 4, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Yo mate.
"Rings of Saturn Emporium"?
I recall two other very dear posters calling that their home town.
Yup. I copied it from them.

I've found it comfortable enough, though I have noted that as soon as I moved in, they moved out!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#424338 Dec 4, 2012
DearthOfCouth wrote:
<quoted text>
This is interesting.
This Christian has made outrageous and preposterous lies -- I commit and advocate infanticide, I hate someone for some reason -- and then supported them with edited, distorted "quotes" mined from stale old text.
But then, I guess that's the sort of thing Christians are comfortable with....
Well Dearth, I'M just getting to know ya. You are the one who started this thing back on page 20052, Post. 423999. This is what you said.

''someone who dies before reaching a ceertain age gets some sort of free pass into eternal bliss. You might expect, this would lead them to put their children to death as a precautionary measure, but it doesn't seem to happen very often.''

Hey Dearth. Just thinking.....

Why don't you ask your parents why they did not put you to death since you were raised in a Christian home?

Your bio is on page 1. Anybody can read it. It is as easy as a click away. You know what Christianity is all about! Why don't you ask the people in your own family, face to face. Maybe you have? Now all you got is accusations and whining.

''I learned early on that, as a rather perceptive and articulate kid, wielded the power of language. I was able to wound someone deeply with a well timed and chosen, derisive remark.''

Dearth. Page 1 Post 3.

“First it steals your mind..”

Since: Jun 11

..and then it steals your soul

#424339 Dec 4, 2012
DearthOfCouth wrote:
<quoted text>
I've found it comfortable enough, though I have noted that as soon as I moved in, they moved out!
Methinks your dogs barked late at night?
Marlowe the Wonder Dog

Charlotte, NC

#424340 Dec 4, 2012
Howl!

“What do I know?”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#424341 Dec 4, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Well Dearth, I'M just getting to know ya. You are the one who started this thing back on page 20052, Post. 423999. This is what you said.
''someone who dies before reaching a ceertain age gets some sort of free pass into eternal bliss. You might expect, this would lead them to put their children to death as a precautionary measure, but it doesn't seem to happen very often.''
Hey Dearth. Just thinking.....
Why don't you ask your parents why they did not put you to death since you were raised in a Christian home?
Your bio is on page 1. Anybody can read it. It is as easy as a click away. You know what Christianity is all about! Why don't you ask the people in your own family, face to face. Maybe you have? Now all you got is accusations and whining.
''I learned early on that, as a rather perceptive and articulate kid, wielded the power of language. I was able to wound someone deeply with a well timed and chosen, derisive remark.''
Dearth. Page 1 Post 3.
The people who raised me as a Christian were my grandparents, and they have been gone for quite a few years now. On the subject of “asking” them questions, I’ll relate an anecdote:

When I was about twelve I attended a bible study session with my grandfather. The subject of proper Christian speech arose.

Background: The use of the words “goddamn it” was of course universally condemned. What was accepted in some circles was the use of various near-soundalikes like “doggone it,”“gosh dog it,”“dag nabbit” and the like.

Well, my grandfather, a senior deacon, voiced the conviction that the Lord knows what’s in your heart, so all these expressions are morally equivalent. The Lord knows and cares about what we really mean whenever we speak, not just the precise words we use.

I thought this over for a minute and asked: Why not just swear, then? Use profanity, medieval Saxon phrases -- whatever you like. If the Lord judges us on intent and not wording, then it shouldn’t really matter. If “darn” is not any better than “damn,” then we might as well just go ahead and say “damn.” Right?

I’ll spare you a detailed narrative of what happened next but in summary, that was the last time I ever offered an original observation or a speculative thought of any sort in those circles. That sort of thing was not well received.

My grandparents were sweet and gentle people. I think of them fondly and I honor their memory. But they had a few traits I did not cherish. For instance, they were open and unapologetic racists; people of color bore the mark of Cain. They were to be shunned and excluded as inferior.

My opinion is, every characteristic of these fine and estimable people that I found regrettable seems to have arisen from the same source and that is their religion. Christianity, I believe, served them very badly. I consider it their primary flaw as human beings.

And that’s why I personally dislike Christianity to this day. I fully confess, this is a prejudice of mine but my instinctive, intuitive reaction to Christianity is to consider it a character flaw.

“What do I know?”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#424342 Dec 4, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
<quoted text>
Methinks your dogs barked late at night?
Now that I think of it, they did.

That explains it....

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#424343 Dec 4, 2012
DearthOfCouth wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that I think of it, they did.
That explains it....
Well Doc...you can come live in my garden...but...

Pay your share of the rent on time...pick up after yourself...do your own laundry and ironing...buy your own groceries and...

Whatever you do...keep your hands off of my M&Ms!

Oh...and fix that barking dog. Other than that...make yourself at home.

“What do I know?”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#424344 Dec 4, 2012
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Doc...you can come live in my garden...but...
Pay your share of the rent on time...pick up after yourself...do your own laundry and ironing...buy your own groceries and...
Whatever you do...keep your hands off of my M&Ms!
Oh...and fix that barking dog. Other than that...make yourself at home.
Thanks, Annie.

I pretty much do all of that, and your M&Ms are safe from me, but on the "dog" question:

I have three of them.

Deal-breaker?

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#424345 Dec 4, 2012
DearthOfCouth wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't because of you that I changed mine. It was the simple fact that women like change. I'll put it back.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#424346 Dec 4, 2012
Wonder why that didn't change.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#424347 Dec 4, 2012
DearthOfCouth wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Annie.
I pretty much do all of that, and your M&Ms are safe from me, but on the "dog" question:
I have three of them.
Deal-breaker?
I see that WN moved back in with you so I will back off!

You can come to visit anytime you want though...and bring the dogs...I have one of my own.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#424348 Dec 4, 2012
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I see that WN moved back in with you so I will back off!
You can come to visit anytime you want though...and bring the dogs...I have one of my own.
the Rings of Saturn Emporium is a massive, lovely place. There's room for everyone we want to invite. Come on over!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#424349 Dec 4, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
"improve" is a very poor choice for one who understands language, you either never understood the explanation, or you are jacking around
wow, what an obsessed lunatic. 7 responses to posts not to you? Why is is I seem to bring out the lunatics of all ages? Karl now I told you before i have nothing to say to you until you come clean on your lies. You that Christians kept "getting in your face" and telling you to go to hell and you not only want that to be considered assault but that it should require automatic incarceration. I couldn't imagine how one could keep finding themself in such a combative situation in real life unless they sought it out and if you wanted someone to go to jail over posting to you on Topix than you are just insane. So did you make up these stories Karl? I say you are a liar? What say you? Why won't you answer?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#424350 Dec 4, 2012
Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Skom..When the fullness of time came, what had been kept in silence, "now is manifested...is made known unto all the nations unto obedience of faith" (Romans 16:26). Things which never entered into the heart of man, "God revealed them through the Spirit...But we received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is from God; that we might know the things that were freely given to us of God. Which things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Spirit teacheth; combining spiritual things with spiritual words" (I Corinthians 2:10-13. God Bless
Thank you for that Grace. I think it says it nicely.

(T) Peace

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 min Ooogah Boogah 38,935
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min New Age Spiritual... 642,098
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min trifecta1 970,173
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 19 min Malone 618,452
Play "end of the word" part 2 31 min ImFree2Choose 1,748
Poll Should Brother + Sister marriages be legalized ? (Dec '07) 36 min mahmud 811
Christian Lies Exposed (Sep '07) 51 min Johnny Manziel 45,872
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr WasteWater 104,781
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 4 hr dr shrink 44,474
More from around the web