Why I’m no longer a Christian

Kaitlin the Wolf Witch

“An Ye Harm None, Do As Ye Will”

Since: May 10

I Am A Religion-Free Zone

#423978 Dec 1, 2012
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
The republicants could not get the christian conservative right to rally around a mormon.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!
<dance, dance, dance>
(...grumble grumble grumble...) yeah, you go right ahead and cheer and dance; *I'm* the one who's stuck with the other guy for another four friggin' years of increasing socialsim and vanishing rights...
babysan

Charlotte, NC

#423980 Dec 1, 2012
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>
"Reading the Bible without apologetics." Yup. That was it for me as well. I think the first thing I noticed re:Paul was the marked difference between the Acts account of the Jerusalem Council, and Paul's own rather more cantankerous rendering in Galatians. Luke smooths it over and makes it all hunky-dory, whereas Paul shows a marked disdain for the apostles. With that as a marker, I began noticing what sure looks like green envy every time he writes about them in his other letters. How could this be, I wondered, that this guy from Cilicia could be so much more enlightened than those who actually lived with and learned from Jesus?
So, I actually didn't note the discrepancies between himself and Jesus at first so much as his own apparent vanity and burning desire for recognition. I DID notice long ago, when I began being serious about becoming a more complete Christian, that it seemed curious how many sermons I'd sat through in my life where one wouldn't hear a single reference to Jesus' words beyond the required ritualistic obsequies. One might think we were living according to Paul. But once I caught onto the tension with the disciples, I began studying even deeper, to identify my error of course, but all I found was, as you say, serious differences between himself and the alleged words of Jesus.
Apologetics were no help, and were actually a final straw. I recall reading one examining a particularly difficult piece to "apologize away" - namely Isaiah 7:14 - where the writer basically says, "Well, we know this is a tough one, but ultimately we reside in faith that this is God's Word yadayadayada," or some such pap. I remember clearly putting the book down and saying to the ceiling, "No! That is not an answer!" God surely can't expect to give us curious and rational minds only to deny the glaringly obvious.
So, it wasn't Paul per se, but he sure had a lot to do with the awakening. Once I had the courage to allow questions with what was previously accepted without question, well, the vistas were wide open. Emotional and intellectual freedom! Scary, at first, but freedom ain't supposed to be easy.
For the last five years you have repeated this crap to the same five people...
Now that's stupid and I don't care who you are!

Kaitlin the Wolf Witch

“An Ye Harm None, Do As Ye Will”

Since: May 10

I Am A Religion-Free Zone

#423981 Dec 1, 2012
Tony17 wrote:
I find great wisdom in Pauls teaching. A person that havs spiritual eyes to see and ears to hear can easily see that Paul was anointed of the Holy Spirit. Those that don't have spiritual eyes to see would definitely have a big problem with Paul.
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
So you love Paul. OK.
I love Jesus....
So *that* explains it.
babysan

Charlotte, NC

#423982 Dec 1, 2012
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
And that's why you're no longer a Christian. Damn Obama!
:)
<quoted text>
Somehow, this post got deleted by Topix. I guess it's alright to call Nixon a crook, but one can't call Obama as SOB.
Interesting.
Has your imaginary dog Marlowe taken any hits for you lately?
And I don't mean from the water bong, either.

Har har har!

Just Results

“Jesus is Love”

Since: Jul 12

Hutchinson, MN

#423983 Dec 1, 2012
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are atheists abusing you?
Because they are obeying their god Satan. It's the cowardly thing to do.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#423984 Dec 1, 2012
Some Stoner Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists have no reason to believe in your god or any god. Everything about your god came from a crappy book that has more finger prints on it from a variety of writers and editors and compilers than Pamela Anderson or Kim Kardashian.
Hey, Stoner.

Like the new pic.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#423985 Dec 1, 2012
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
he keeps re-painting the target on his back

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#423986 Dec 1, 2012
babysan wrote:
<quoted text>
For the last five years you have repeated this crap to the same five people...
Now that's stupid and I don't care who you are!
yep

christianity is a doubtful belief

but paulianity is immoral

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#423987 Dec 1, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
Paul isn't God.
Nor are you.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#423988 Dec 1, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, your abuse. The abuse of atheists.
Yeah, you do abuse atheists a lot, you should stop that.

Location hidden

#423989 Dec 1, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> Everyone was NOT making money. The bottom started dropping out of the housing industry in early 2008. And it got worse from there. Ask those of us who were in the housing industry how we were doing.
I guess you've also forgotten the programs put in place by Bush that caused part of that deficit. While true that we have more debt now, it can't all be blamed on one person. We've got a Congress full of men that are also at fault.
But, some who can't see past the end of their nose just like to say 'Obama did it!'.
That is not exactly what is being said. Obama said he would reduce the debt 50% in four years. Anybody who knew anything knew he could not do that. Him saying it only means he did not know what he was talking about which means he is incompetent or his audience depended on the ignorance of his target audience by promising ''pie in the sky!'' If he would have dropped the debt even 1 tril, i would have voted for him, provided he continue on with debt reduction. Name me one problem which supercedes the debt crisis in the United States? He promises a reduction in th debt crisis and under his watch no budget from Congress. They ignored everything. So pass the problem to the next two generations seems fine with the Dems, including you! They did not create this mess. It is like declaring every baby born in the United States has a say 25 grand debt to handle thanks this generation.

Folks like you must have bigger fish to fry!

The next two generations can bend over and take it where the sun does not shine thanks to Obama voters who refuse to hold his feet to the fire on promises he broke, not only to everybody today, but future generations.

Location hidden

#423990 Dec 1, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
A chimp could follow the teachings of Paul. It takes a human to follow the teachings of Jesus.
Well that must make you dumber than a chimp.

“What do I know?”

Since: Apr 08

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423992 Dec 2, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Have to side with Paul; "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." - 1 Corinthians 13:11
I left Santa Claus, Easter Bunny and Sunday School behind for a mature search for spirituality and understanding.
Put me down for a carton of that, willya?

Let me know when you find it....

“SPEBSQSA”

Since: Aug 08

Maryland

#423993 Dec 2, 2012
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
He needs the persecution points so he imagines he is being abused. The imagined abuse comes from the disagreement with his religious beliefs which causes him to think and he's not used to having to think for himself.

“SPEBSQSA”

Maryland

#423994 Dec 2, 2012
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
The republicants could not get the christian conservative right to rally around a mormon.
<quoted text>
(...grumble grumble grumble...) yeah, you go right ahead and cheer and dance; *I'm* the one who's stuck with the other guy for another four friggin' years of increasing socialsim and vanishing rights...
Don't know about you but I am really sick and tired of trying to pick the lesser of two evils when voting. I have little if any respect for politicians of either party (democraps vs republicants).
I will repeat however...we do have the best government money can buy.

“SPEBSQSA”

Maryland

#423995 Dec 2, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
Because they are obeying their god Satan. It's the cowardly thing to do.
So your satan being is a god now?? How many other imaginary god beings does your "persecuted" "abused" religion have?
Saudi Arabian

Northmead, Australia

#423997 Dec 2, 2012
DearthOfCouth wrote:
Why I’m no longer a Christian, Part One
I was raised from my infancy by deeply religious people, surrounded by a family full of Baptist preachers, deacons and missionaries. I myself was baptized, as well as I can recall, at about the age of ten.
I can remember being struck by the fact that everyone around me at the time – and I do mean everyone – kept telling me that what I had just experienced was the most important event of my life, and that everything else I would ever do would shrink to insignificance alongside it. I was receiving the power of the Lord. It was a special time for me.
Well, I enjoyed all the attention, as any kid would, but I remember wondering: Why don’t I feel any different, myself? I thought about my attitudes, my perceptions, the circumstances of my life, and I couldn’t think of a single thing that was any different, now that I was one with Jesus. No matter how hard I tried to find something new and meaningful, there was nothing. It was a hollow, empty, and lonely sensation, and surprisingly so. It was not what I had expected at all.
I concluded after a time that I must not be doing something right. Everyone around me seemed so confident and secure in their faith and mine so tenuous in comparison, I felt left out. The shortcoming, I decided, must be mine. I must be missing something.
I resolved to try harder. I devoted myself to Bible study and prayer. I sensed that everyone around me would be horrified if I were to express any of these reservations I was feeling, so I kept them to myself. I suppressed them, and did my best to forget them altogether.
The years went by and I attended services regularly but somehow I never quite shook the uneasy sense, in the back of my mind, that I had never truly felt the presence of a transcendent being – Jesus, God, or anyone at all.
I remained outwardly compliant, but inwardly I began to feel isolated and as much as I tried to banish this feeling, it persisted. As I reached adulthood it intensified until I became aware that, despite my best efforts, it was not going to go way. More troubling still was the bulk of doubts I began to feel about matters of doctrine. I began to doubt, among many other things, the true value of grace.
But I tried to put these issues out of my mind. What I was doing, of course, was not avoiding a crisis but merely postponing it When it finally arrived it hit so suddenly, it startled me.
so Christians believe that All are born sinners. in other words if one dies before being baptised they would be in hell even if the child dies at 2 weeks old.

“What do I know?”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423998 Dec 2, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
...The Gov't rarely does better than private sector.
It took the USPS 30 years to catch up with UPS and FedEx.
Now they are going to F-up health care. We will be back to barbers and leeches in no time.
This is standard conservative doctrine: The gov'mnt can't do anything right.

I have to take issue with it, though, and your example is a telling one.

UPS and FedEx are fast and secure, but they do not deliver to all locations and their schedules are unreliable. What they do is cherry-pick popular destinations and then reroute, staging shipments to consolidate and optimize their fuel and handling. They're good at this and that's how they make their money.

The problem is, if you want to send something large and fragile to someplace remote and little-trafficked, you're likely to find that UPS and FedEx just won't do it. The US Postal Service will and does. Rather well, as a matter of fact.

Moral to the story: There are some things that the government does, in fact, do pretty darned well. Here in Europe, health care is one of those.

“What do I know?”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423999 Dec 2, 2012
Saudi Arabian wrote:
<quoted text>
so Christians believe that All are born sinners. in other words if one dies before being baptised they would be in hell even if the child dies at 2 weeks old.
They've figured out a way around that one.

Someone who dies before reaching a certain age gets some sort of free pass into eternal bliss.

You might expect, this would lead them to put their children to death as a precautionary measure, but it doesn't seem to happen very often.

Maybe it's better if we get one of them to explain it all to us. If we're patient, I'm sure one of them will be along shortly....

Location hidden

#424000 Dec 2, 2012
HipGnosis wrote:
Add in the utter paucity of any coherent stance put forth by Romney, his contempt for the middle-class, and the party's antiquated views on women, immigrants, and anyone not white and male, and the choice for me was pretty simple.
What about the contempt Obama has for the middle class of the future? The insensivity of passing a projected 20 trillion debt their way they had nothing to do with? Is it enlightened to pass huge debt to women, immigrants, anyone non white and male debt they do not deserve or is it selfish, outright stupid, and gross neglect?

We stand in awe of the shallowness and shortsightedness of the irresponsible policies of Obama blindly supported by those who voted him back in office.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 3 min MUQ2 46,034
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 9 min Joe Fortuna 92,247
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 21 min truth 667,516
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr nanoanomaly 979,264
Waiting to pee 1 hr Tallguy95 1
allofourstuff.com 2 hr AllofOurStuff 1
is god black or white? and why? (Oct '08) 2 hr kingwhats 449
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr what 285,938
More from around the web