Why I’m no longer a Christian

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#423723 Nov 30, 2012
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL Yeah that 47% also includes those that are drawing their SS benefits. I wonder if he will advocate for that to end?
A reporter was talking to nice retired couple at a Tea Party rally. They were all worked up about getting rid of all the "socialist programs". When the reporter pointed out that Medicare and Social Security were "socialist", they got quiet, and then the lady said, "Oh! Well, I've got to think about that."

Everybody's a leech, except "us", you know......;)

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#423724 Nov 30, 2012
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>A reporter was talking to nice retired couple at a Tea Party rally. They were all worked up about getting rid of all the "socialist programs". When the reporter pointed out that Medicare and Social Security were "socialist", they got quiet, and then the lady said, "Oh! Well, I've got to think about that."
Everybody's a leech, except "us", you know......;)
Is it rerally socialist Hip?

They paid in to those funds their entire life, of course they expect it to be there for them.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#423725 Nov 30, 2012
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Why did anyONE vote for Obama? 62 million people voted for Obama.
Each had their own reasons, but for me it was choice between fiscal and regulatory policies. Supply-side economics and deregulation have had a fair run to produce results, and the result was deficit, decline of the middle-class, jobs out-sourced at an ever-increasing clip, and global economic catastrophe.
Any idea has the right to be given a chance. Supply-side has had over ten unfettered years now to produce. It has been a dismal failure for all but the top percentile. They got a shot, it didn't work. For me, it was a decision to say No Thanks to that, and give these new ideas the same chance. Given what he inherited in Jan '09, and the unembarrassed obstructionism of the opposition, I think he's done pretty well so far. Apparently about 62 million Americans agree.
Done pretty well?

You piss and moan about Bushs spending and give this admin the pass. 16 trillion and counting.

Lets talk when inflation hits and interest rates rise and we cant even pay the interst on our debt and see how well this admin has done for us then. It aint 'if' Hip its when..........

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#423726 Nov 30, 2012
Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus did not change anything in terms of old covenant worship until his redemptive work was complete. Of course, he did imply during his ministry that things would change in the future—and that is an important point.
One problem. This is all "doctrine", developed through Paul's teachings and furthered by the early church over the next couple of centuries. Jesus never said anything about "until my redemptive work is complete" - the Church did. In fact, he said the opposite - "For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

Forget the Christian apologist' semantic gymnastics with the word, "Fulfilled". We don't even have to go to a Christian website to be told what Jesus "meant". We can read it ourselves. Jesus gave us the parameters, so I ask you, straight from Jesus' words - Have heaven and earth disappeared? It's a very simple question.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#423727 Nov 30, 2012
HipGnosis wrote:
Why is it no right-winger brewed a cup of tea the whole time the previous admin was funneling palletfuls of undocumented billions to rebuild Iraq and Afghanistan? Starting, not one, but two wars, while AT the Same TIME, assuaging the people's anxiety by giving them a tax cut? Who does that - start a war AND lower taxes?
Still blaming Bush. Bush did not tell Obama to tell us all he would cut the debt in half if 4 years and then not only fail but increased the debt 4 tril in 4 years. No budget under Obama. Is that Bushes fault? Obama failed. Yet he was voted back in. He failed on the number one problem. Now as for the rich. My employer is rich. Leave him alone. If you have problems with rich job providers then get your job from a poor man.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#423728 Nov 30, 2012
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it rerally socialist Hip?
They paid in to those funds their entire life, of course they expect it to be there for them.
Well first I think the word "socialist" is tossed around so loosely it's ceased to have a certain meaning in general discussion.

But, I ask you, is it a social program, or not?

Does everyone who paid in get it all back? Does it cease if you live too long and "go over"? If you die too soon, are your "funds" part of an estate?

Of course we expect it to "be there for us". But it ain't based on what we paid in, because it's not a retirement account.....it's a social program. Some even call it "socialist".

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#423729 Nov 30, 2012
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Done pretty well?
You piss and moan about Bushs spending and give this admin the pass. 16 trillion and counting.
Lets talk when inflation hits and interest rates rise and we cant even pay the interst on our debt and see how well this admin has done for us then. It aint 'if' Hip its when..........
Rider, I didn't "piss and moan" about Bush's spending", now did I? I asked a fair question - why did no one bitch about it when that was going on, but got all fiscal responsible ONLY when the opposition took over.

It must be a fair question, because ya'll will say anything but confront it.

I also have been hearing for the last four years of these dire things "just around the corner". >>yawn<< You're right - let's talk WHEN that happens. In the meantime, things are far better than they were in Jan '09, after 10 YEARS of waiting for the benefits "just around the corner" that supply-side incentives, lower taxes, and deregulation were supposed to provide.

You go ahead and "wait" for your dire predictions to come true. I suspect Jesus will get back first. In the meantime, I'll look at what DID happen, and vote for somebody to do something different.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#423730 Nov 30, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The waters parted.
Then Jesus walked on the water.
Then he turned it into wine.
And this is where the Holy Straw comes in.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#423731 Nov 30, 2012
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>One problem. This is all "doctrine", developed through Paul's teachings and furthered by the early church over the next couple of centuries. Jesus never said anything about "until my redemptive work is complete" - the Church did. In fact, he said the opposite - "For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."
Forget the Christian apologist' semantic gymnastics with the word, "Fulfilled". We don't even have to go to a Christian website to be told what Jesus "meant". We can read it ourselves. Jesus gave us the parameters, so I ask you, straight from Jesus' words - Have heaven and earth disappeared? It's a very simple question.
No...The law is Gods Morals and was given to show the Jews what sin was. We believe the same on that part, I am not against the Law, I just know that nobody can fully obey them, except Jesus. If we could possibly obey all 613 laws, Then WHY did Jesus have to come? Like I said, The Laws are Holy, Just and Good but the Law doesn't have the Power to make us Holy, Just and Good...no matter how hard we TRY in our own strength. It takes the Power of The Spirit. That what the Grace Message is all about. When we humble ourselves like Jesus said and realize that we cannot do it without Him..Those who want to be under the Law will be Judged under the Law..And that will not be good..For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men.Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live sensibly, righteously, and godly, in this present world Titus 2:11-12

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#423732 Nov 30, 2012
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Rider, I didn't "piss and moan" about Bush's spending", now did I? I asked a fair question - why did no one bitch about it when that was going on, but got all fiscal responsible ONLY when the opposition took over.
It must be a fair question, because ya'll will say anything but confront it.
I also have been hearing for the last four years of these dire things "just around the corner". >>yawn<< You're right - let's talk WHEN that happens. In the meantime, things are far better than they were in Jan '09, after 10 YEARS of waiting for the benefits "just around the corner" that supply-side incentives, lower taxes, and deregulation were supposed to provide.
You go ahead and "wait" for your dire predictions to come true. I suspect Jesus will get back first. In the meantime, I'll look at what DID happen, and vote for somebody to do something different.
All I can do is answer for myself Hip. Its because I wasnt aware of it. They weren't (press) making a big deal out of it and everyone was making money. Did I ever tell you of the 2 story 4-5 bdrm 3 car garage houses that were being built around here? How about all the storage businesses that were booming from the folks that had/have so much stuff they couldnt find room for it? seems everyone had a cycle, 4 wheeler, boat and/or snowmobile.

The plain and simple fact was things were going good, there were jobs aplentiful, hell around here you coulda worked at a convenience store and started $12 bucks an hour.

I've told you before I started to notice when the bottom dropped out. And I dont believe I was in the minority. Thats when I started getting interested, but for me because Bush did it, sure as hell dont make it right for the next ones to come along and do it, especially when were in the dire straits were in.

My dire predictions Will come true. All you have to do is look at what 16 trillion REALLY means.

And you just sit around and dont believe you or your kids or grandkids aint got a care in the world. Its Obama, Reid and Pelosi to the rescue..........

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#423733 Nov 30, 2012
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Well first I think the word "socialist" is tossed around so loosely it's ceased to have a certain meaning in general discussion.
But, I ask you, is it a social program, or not?
Does everyone who paid in get it all back? Does it cease if you live too long and "go over"? If you die too soon, are your "funds" part of an estate?
Of course we expect it to "be there for us". But it ain't based on what we paid in, because it's not a retirement account.....it's a social program. Some even call it "socialist".
Technically your right. But I think what Tea partiers want is less taxes and more government accountability for how they spend the taxes they do.

If you want to point out things like that and laugh go ahead, but all it comes down to is government accountability and hopefully from that less taxes. Call me foolish, but I woulda thought we'd all want that..........

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#423734 Nov 30, 2012
Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
No...The law is Gods Morals and was given to show the Jews what sin was. We believe the same on that part, I am not against the Law, I just know that nobody can fully obey them, except Jesus. If we could possibly obey all 613 laws, Then WHY did Jesus have to come? Like I said, The Laws are Holy, Just and Good but the Law doesn't have the Power to make us Holy, Just and Good...no matter how hard we TRY in our own strength. It takes the Power of The Spirit. That what the Grace Message is all about. When we humble ourselves like Jesus said and realize that we cannot do it without Him..Those who want to be under the Law will be Judged under the Law..And that will not be good..
No Jew was ever expected to "fully obey them". No Jew was ever told they were barred from heaven for breaking one of them. This is Christian propaganda, crafted to horn in on the Jews' Covenant relationship while justifying rejection of Torah (which didn't apply to them anyway, because they weren't party to the Covenant). They were guidelines, primarily for healthy living, spiritually and physically, in the context of the times. It is Paul, and only Paul, that puts a different spin on them by implying that if one broke a single mitzvot one could not be justified with God. This is one of the earliest Christian lies.
Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men.Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live sensibly, righteously, and godly, in this present world Titus 2:11-12
No, it didn't appear to all men. It would make so much more sense if it had. The "grace of God that brings salvation" is a euphemism for the Christ, and this character didn't appear to anyone but allegedly to a very few dusty nondescript followers. Now if this Christ character had appeared to Pilate, or Caiaphas, or the Sanhedrin, or anyone outside the "circle", we might be having a different conversation. But he didn't. Curious, don't you think? Well, I do.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#423735 Nov 30, 2012
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>One problem. This is all "doctrine", developed through Paul's teachings and furthered by the early church over the next couple of centuries. Jesus never said anything about "until my redemptive work is complete" - the Church did. In fact, he said the opposite - "For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."
Forget the Christian apologist' semantic gymnastics with the word, "Fulfilled". We don't even have to go to a Christian website to be told what Jesus "meant". We can read it ourselves. Jesus gave us the parameters, so I ask you, straight from Jesus' words - Have heaven and earth disappeared? It's a very simple question.
Therefore, by the works of the law no flesh [people] shall be declared righteous in His [God’s] sight: for by the Law is the knowledge of sin.”(Romans 3:20)
:“And by Him [Jesus] all that believe are declared righteous from all things, from which you could not be declared righteous by the Law of Moses.”(Acts 13:39)

Notice in the above verse that "trying" to be justified by the Law is considered WORKS?? The Law was given to show what SIN is..

If there wasn't a law that told us to drive 65 mph, how fast would we go? <<<<just an example..:) Peace and Grace to you. Thanks for taking the time to chat.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#423736 Nov 30, 2012
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Well first I think the word "socialist" is tossed around so loosely it's ceased to have a certain meaning in general discussion.
But, I ask you, is it a social program, or not?
Does everyone who paid in get it all back? Does it cease if you live too long and "go over"? If you die too soon, are your "funds" part of an estate?
Of course we expect it to "be there for us". But it ain't based on what we paid in, because it's not a retirement account.....it's a social program. Some even call it "socialist".
To support that it is a "social program"...

I drew survivor benefits after the death of my husband for both children until they were 18 and for myself until my last one turned 16. These amount...equal for all three of us were based on my husbands income. Just as with welfare I was allowed to work and earn up to a certain amount before my benefits started decreasing. My husband paid in a lot of SS but not anywhere near what we had paid back to us.

They...being the government...allows me to draw early retirement based on my husbands earnings if it is higher than mine. Since he was married once before me his ex-wife is also allowed to draw off of his earnings if it is higher than her own or the earnings of her second husband.

All of this is considered government assistance...even though it was partially funded by my husband. What I paid in over the years will not even come close to off-setting the difference.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#423737 Nov 30, 2012
onlythepurestMD wrote:
god was a jew
not much change to date

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#423738 Nov 30, 2012
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Technically your right. But I think what Tea partiers want is less taxes and more government accountability for how they spend the taxes they do.
If you want to point out things like that and laugh go ahead, but all it comes down to is government accountability and hopefully from that less taxes. Call me foolish, but I woulda thought we'd all want that..........
Of course we would, but from what I've heard all the TPers want are to eliminate everything except "mine", and thy didn't give two sh*ts for "accountability" until 2009. Just ask 'em for a few particulars. They get all vague and circular as a bunch of Christians. Yes, it would be great if I could check a box and not a penny of mine gets spent in Iraq or Afghanistan, or to pay the massive debt we borrowed against "rebuilding" them (through Haliburton et al). But that ain't how a representative republican democracy works. Ya make your views known, ya hope enough people feel the same, and ya take the good with the bad. The rest of the time we get on with our lives. It's served us pretty well for over 230+ years so far.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Hermosa Beach, CA

#423739 Nov 30, 2012
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Why did anyONE vote for Obama? 62 million people voted for Obama.
Each had their own reasons, but for me it was choice between fiscal and regulatory policies. Supply-side economics and deregulation have had a fair run to produce results, and the result was deficit, decline of the middle-class, jobs out-sourced at an ever-increasing clip, and global economic catastrophe.
Any idea has the right to be given a chance. Supply-side has had over ten unfettered years now to produce. It has been a dismal failure for all but the top percentile. They got a shot, it didn't work. For me, it was a decision to say No Thanks to that, and give these new ideas the same chance. Given what he inherited in Jan '09, and the unembarrassed obstructionism of the opposition, I think he's done pretty well so far. Apparently about 62 million Americans agree.
I voted for Obama too, for multiple reasons. Important to me are: the composition of the Supreme Court (principally protection of individual rights, we don't need more Scalias); women's rights (abortion); immigration policy; foreign affairs and our reputation in the world (I travel extensively, and believe me the Republicans are viewed as troglodytes throughout the world); and fairness, fairness, fairness.
Pollster II

Marengo, OH

#423740 Nov 30, 2012
Viking wrote:
<quoted text>
You AIDS-INFESTED Piece of sh*t. Why don't you fuc*en die already. You're the biggest waste of manure in sub-human history. You are as lifeless and retarded as they come you know that? You and all your putrid bullsh*t amount to a big, fat zero you know that? You illiterate Pig, you rotten Pig, you HAVE NEVER READ THE BIBLE AND YOU KNOW NOT WHERE YOU STAND. Do you realize you've yet to convince ONE SINGLE SOLITARY PERSON OF ANYTHING??????? Do you realize that? You dirty scumbag you!!!!!If I saw you out on the street I'd sh*t on my hand and then I would rub it ALL OVER YOUR FACE!!!!Your mother should be tar and feathered for not aborting you when she had the chance....YOU PIECE OF AIDS-INFESTED, NECROTIC, SACK OF SH*T!!!!!DIE!!!DIE!!!!!DIE!!HU RRY UP AND DIE!!!!!!!!!!
YOU ILLITERATE PIG!!!!YOU BLASPHEMING PIG!!!!!!!!DIE YOU PIG!!!!!
I WOULD LOVE TO BEAT YOU INTO A COMA YOU LITTLE BITCH!!!!!!!!!!
Awwwww...the d-bag returneth.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#423741 Nov 30, 2012
Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
Therefore, by the works of the law no flesh [people] shall be declared righteous in His [God’s] sight: for by the Law is the knowledge of sin.”(Romans 3:20)
:“And by Him [Jesus] all that believe are declared righteous from all things, from which you could not be declared righteous by the Law of Moses.”(Acts 13:39)
Notice in the above verse that "trying" to be justified by the Law is considered WORKS?? The Law was given to show what SIN is..
If there wasn't a law that told us to drive 65 mph, how fast would we go? <<<<just an example..:) Peace and Grace to you. Thanks for taking the time to chat.
Notice Jesus didn't say any of that? Notice how, when someone tries to underscore this "doctrine" their ONLY choice is to quote everyone but Jesus? Has it not ever occurred to you that there's something a little bass-ackwards about all that?

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#423742 Nov 30, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey - speaking from a woman's point of view, how do you know she's not using him?
First, you don't think young women can manipulate older men, you don't know young women :p
Second, you think young men are good in bed? You don't know young men :p
Third, you think young men are interested conversants? You don't know old men :p
In defense of older men and younger women ~ so there!
three tongues
:p
:p
:p
what do you think?

of

old spice cologne

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Tellthetruth 988,554
We do NOT need any walls! 4 min my opinions 35
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 46 min SiverrideNedreck 37,145
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 47 min Reality is Bliss 688,830
Why doesn't God STOP the world's MADNESS and in... 51 min HFCS - What It Is 3
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 2 hr Tony 6,550
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 4 hr Classic 4,333
More from around the web