Why I’m no longer a Christian

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#423698 Nov 30, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>LOL....I had no doubt you would be around "larry". Your business must be doing great.I wouldnt worry about how the auto industry is doing if I were you. Just make sure the buses are running on time cause you wont be able to afford a new car
It says alot about you skom, that you NEED my business to be failing..........

Grow up chile..........

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423700 Nov 30, 2012
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
WN already knows the answer to that...so why should she ask.
You do not know what you think you know...par for the course.
If you want to know something...ask me yourself...if I think that you deserve an answer then I will give it...if not...go ahead and think you know what you do not know.
I'd say he has never actually read any of your posts and is just making it up as he goes along to try and make you look bad.

That won't happen for several reasons, the main one being that he has already been dishonest and discredited himself for any and all future posts.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#423701 Nov 30, 2012
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Well while you are reading...
"G" said something in a post that got me thinking so I went in search of what I needed to complete that thought. This is what I found instead...thought you might enjoy...
Institute For Historical Review
For a Balanced History of the American Indian
http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v18/v18n2p24_Bruckner....
The author at the end gave his personal view...thought it fit nicely here.
To strive for a "clean" or righteous history of one's own people is quite understandable. Nobody wants to be ashamed of his or her own past. That is true for individuals as well as for peoples. But this desire must not permit one to falsify history. A one-sided history, based on selectively chosen sources, is a falsified history.- Zoltán Bruckner
I have often remarked how the Jewish Scriptures does not paint their ancestors and heroes as perfect icons. Rather they demonstrate that their heritage is one of violence, murder and deceit and their ancestors are often the most vile and sinful people in the tome. Recall that in Exodus, the Hebrews, after leaving Egypt, prove to be worse to the Canaanites than the Egyptians ever were to the Hebrews.

I admire that national courage and honesty. Something the U.S. history books could use a large dose of.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423703 Nov 30, 2012
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
It says alot about you skom, that you NEED my business to be failing..........
Grow up chile..........
I'm still wondering what job he has that allows him to be on topix as much as you are, but somehow he's a success and you're a failure. I think it's just an attempt to demean you because he doesn't have anything else.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#423705 Nov 30, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sure you know this, but I'll state it anyhow...
The Christians don't think this says what it says.
What? Christians don't believe the Jewish Jesus?

Isn't that interesting?

How about the Pagan Paul?

*big hug* to you

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#423706 Nov 30, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if Lightbeamrider is rich.
I believe she said she was large though.
That explains all the "U" shaped light beams.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#423707 Nov 30, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The waters parted.
Then Jesus walked on the water.
Then he turned it into wine.
That certainly explains why it's all gone.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#423708 Nov 30, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>I'm still wondering what job he has that allows him to be on topix as much as you are, but somehow he's a success and you're a failure. I think it's just an attempt to demean you because he doesn't have anything else.
Isn't Skom an alcoholic ex con?

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#423709 Nov 30, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you eliminate Earned Income Credit? Principally, what is your objection to it?
Do you object to taxing the rich? Are you rich?
We should treat churches like country clubs, as far as taxes go. I'm not sure what the laws actually are concerning churches and the tax code, but I've heard it said by people I trust that Churches are given preferential treatment. Not all churches operate the same way, or necessarily do any good at all for the community. Basically, our tax code shouldn't even mention churches. If they are eligible for a tax write-off, due to actual behavior, then I would have no problem granting equal access to those write-offs. There's just no reason to differentiate in the tax code between a church and a social club, or whatever a church resembles in behavior. Many are profitable businesses, and should be treated as such.
Every church is funded by its own congregation. Meaning......the church will only make as much money as the number of followers it has. Now...I work, and I go to church. My money that I give to the church was already taxed when I got my paycheck. My money that I give to the church is a charitable donation..and therefore cannot be taxed. Maybe it's because so many wanted, and still want, a "separation of church and state. Which way to do want it then??

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#423710 Nov 30, 2012
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
What? Christians don't believe the Jewish Jesus?
Isn't that interesting?
How about the Pagan Paul?
*big hug* to you
It is called Paulinism for a very good reason.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#423712 Nov 30, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>I'm still wondering what job he has that allows him to be on topix as much as you are, but somehow he's a success and you're a failure. I think it's just an attempt to demean you because he doesn't have anything else.
It is, My business isn't failing, its never been better. Really he's just another christian who has a problem with the truth. He says someone told him my business was failing, but that cant be the truth because it isnt and I never said it was to anyone.

In all honesty I've seen a change in him and I personally believe he's back on drugs, I hope not but I cant see any other reason for the change.

Just from what I've gathered over some posts i've seen him and others make. He works nights at one of the big 3 auto makers, He works on a line, which is why I cant understand how they would allow him to text almost every night. I kind of think he's been fired. But thats just my thought, I certainly dont know that, but I cant see how they would allow all the texting..........

Just also want to let you know, I hope the best and continuing recovery for your son and DiL and strength for you and the rest of your family.

Have a good evening..........

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#423713 Nov 30, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>How would you suggest we determine who the really needy are and who are the takers? What do you consider 'legitimate needs' and how would you decide who has them and how to help them?
I'm looking for honest to goodness solutions, not more rhetoric. So if you don't have a plan in mind that would work toward the betterment of the system and therefore the betterment of all Americans, don't complain.
If you voted for Obama, tell me why? Tell us all why anyone would vote for Obama when he said it would cut the debt in half and then it was increased 4 tril in 4 years. Tell my why under his watch Congress did not do a budget when they were trillions of dollars in debt? What problem does the United States have that supercedes the debt? I'm not running for Congress but i do know if 6 is taken in and 9 is spent on a consistent basis then that is a recipe for diaster. They are ignoring the problem, they are not doing their jobs.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#423714 Nov 30, 2012
Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
Every church is funded by its own congregation. Meaning......the church will only make as much money as the number of followers it has. Now...I work, and I go to church. My money that I give to the church was already taxed when I got my paycheck. My money that I give to the church is a charitable donation..and therefore cannot be taxed. Maybe it's because so many wanted, and still want, a "separation of church and state. Which way to do want it then??
I don't want preferential treatment on the basis of whether or not something is religious in nature. If there is a distinction that needs to be made, in the tax code, it should be based on behavior, not a label.

I don't know what the tax code actually says or I would give you a more comprehensive answer.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#423715 Nov 30, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Then make your case. From Scripture. My objection is not with people who have legitimate needs, but others who would rather collect a check from the government when the country is around 16 trillion in debt and projected to go to 20 Trillion. We take in around 6 and 9 is spent. Under Obama no budget was ever produced as far as i know. This is from a man who said he would cut it all in half in four years and increased it all 4 trillion in 4 years. That is a dismal failure and the number one problem in the nation today. If you Dems do not know the well is run dry then you got your heads where the sun does not shine.
What percentage of people do you assume are these "leeches"? Be aware that I'm going to be watching to see if you have a legitimate gripe or are just reciting from the right-wing talking point memo. I hope we won't be hearing the wholly fatuous "47%" figure.

In the first place, few in America exist in a bubble. Each benefits from society and gov't - the rich as well as the poor. It is generally the middle-class that bears an inordinate share of the burden for both. Historically, we don't mind, as long as we perceive that it's fair.

According to the most recent figures I've seen, the true "leeches" comprise about 15% of those who receive gov't aid. 15% of these live on aid for longer than five years. Thus we have a program that assists 85% to get over a rough patch in their lives, and then they move on, as soon as they're able, to regain their place as productive and contributing members of society. It is a program that ultimately benefits the nation at large. So, do we eliminate the entire program because of that 15%, or do we focus on reducing that 15%? How do we do that? More case-workers and auditors.

Why is it no right-winger brewed a cup of tea the whole time the previous admin was funneling palletfuls of undocumented billions to rebuild Iraq and Afghanistan? Starting, not one, but two wars, while AT the Same TIME, assuaging the people's anxiety by giving them a tax cut? Who does that - start a war AND lower taxes? That's a first in history. How about giving Big Pharma a huge windfall with Medicare Part D? Expanding gov't exponentially with a completely redundant "Homeland Security"? Did you notice when they let Pay-Go lapse? Do you even know what Pay-Go is?

Why is it no one got upset until we got an admin that suggested spending money rebuilding America? THEN you all got born-again fiscal religion. The contrast is so recent, so obvious, and so blatant one wonders how they can speak with a straight face. With this in our recent past, I have little faith that they truly give a crap about the deficit. I don't believe they have a sincere bone in their body. It's just a partisan issue to squeal about while "the others" are in power.

There's a reason Bush did all that, and it's called "Starving The Beast." Republicans despise social welfare, unless it's geared to the top percentile. I don't hear any right-wingers calling for an end to ag subsidies or oil/coal subsidies. That is welfare, ain't it? Why does the middle-class only chew on it's own? Ask a right-winger what caused the economic meltdown. Chances are the only culprits they'll mention is.....other middle-class people who were sold loans they couldn't afford. Not a word about banks, loan sharks, investment houses. Say the words "Collateralized Debt Obligation" to them, and watch their eyes glass over. It's them deadbeat home-owners, but we dare not say a cross word about those nice obscenely wealthy banks who really just want the best for us little people, if we'd only just appreciate it.

There's not a thing wrong with making an extra buck or two million. But people have forgotten - we're actively discouraged from asking, it's unpatriotic even to ask, "How much is enough?" Oh, I get it, coming from a right-wing shill. I find it amazing that an alleged Christian can ask, "Show me the scripture."

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#423716 Nov 30, 2012
Viking wrote:
<quoted text>
You AIDS-INFESTED Piece of sh*t. Why don't you fuc*en die already. You're the biggest waste of manure in sub-human history. You are as lifeless and retarded as they come you know that? You and all your putrid bullsh*t amount to a big, fat zero you know that? You illiterate Pig, you rotten Pig, you HAVE NEVER READ THE BIBLE AND YOU KNOW NOT WHERE YOU STAND. Do you realize you've yet to convince ONE SINGLE SOLITARY PERSON OF ANYTHING??????? Do you realize that? You dirty scumbag you!!!!!If I saw you out on the street I'd sh*t on my hand and then I would rub it ALL OVER YOUR FACE!!!!Your mother should be tar and feathered for not aborting you when she had the chance....YOU PIECE OF AIDS-INFESTED, NECROTIC, SACK OF SH*T!!!!!DIE!!!DIE!!!!!DIE!!HU RRY UP AND DIE!!!!!!!!!!
YOU ILLITERATE PIG!!!!YOU BLASPHEMING PIG!!!!!!!!DIE YOU PIG!!!!!
I WOULD LOVE TO BEAT YOU INTO A COMA YOU LITTLE BITCH!!!!!!!!!!
Well this post (and the earlier one) has certainly shed some light on the the conversation. Your knowledge of the topic certainly equals no other posting here.

Pigs are illiterate? Hmmm That explains why that pet pig of mine when I was a child never opened that book I gave him for Christmas.

Your intelligence continues to amaze us. We are overwhelmed with your usage of words.

“What do I know?”

Since: Apr 08

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423717 Nov 30, 2012
Viking wrote:
<quoted text>
You AIDS-INFESTED Piece of sh*t. Why don't you fuc*en die already. You're the biggest waste of manure in sub-human history. You are as lifeless and retarded as they come you know that? You and all your putrid bullsh*t amount to a big, fat zero you know that? You illiterate Pig, you rotten Pig, you HAVE NEVER READ THE BIBLE AND YOU KNOW NOT WHERE YOU STAND. Do you realize you've yet to convince ONE SINGLE SOLITARY PERSON OF ANYTHING??????? Do you realize that? You dirty scumbag you!!!!!If I saw you out on the street I'd sh*t on my hand and then I would rub it ALL OVER YOUR FACE!!!!Your mother should be tar and feathered for not aborting you when she had the chance....YOU PIECE OF AIDS-INFESTED, NECROTIC, SACK OF SH*T!!!!!DIE!!!DIE!!!!!DIE!!HU RRY UP AND DIE!!!!!!!!!!
YOU ILLITERATE PIG!!!!YOU BLASPHEMING PIG!!!!!!!!DIE YOU PIG!!!!!
I WOULD LOVE TO BEAT YOU INTO A COMA YOU LITTLE BITCH!!!!!!!!!!
Bible study.

Fun, innit?

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#423718 Nov 30, 2012
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>What percentage of people do you assume are these "leeches"? Be aware that I'm going to be watching to see if you have a legitimate gripe or are just reciting from the right-wing talking point memo. I hope we won't be hearing the wholly fatuous "47%" figure.
In the first place, few in America exist in a bubble. Each benefits from society and gov't - the rich as well as the poor. It is generally the middle-class that bears an inordinate share of the burden for both. Historically, we don't mind, as long as we perceive that it's fair.
According to the most recent figures I've seen, the true "leeches" comprise about 15% of those who receive gov't aid. 15% of these live on aid for longer than five years. Thus we have a program that assists 85% to get over a rough patch in their lives, and then they move on, as soon as they're able, to regain their place as productive and contributing members of society. It is a program that ultimately benefits the nation at large. So, do we eliminate the entire program because of that 15%, or do we focus on reducing that 15%? How do we do that? More case-workers and auditors.
Why is it no right-winger brewed a cup of tea the whole time the previous admin was funneling palletfuls of undocumented billions to rebuild Iraq and Afghanistan? Starting, not one, but two wars, while AT the Same TIME, assuaging the people's anxiety by giving them a tax cut? Who does that - start a war AND lower taxes? That's a first in history. How about giving Big Pharma a huge windfall with Medicare Part D? Expanding gov't exponentially with a completely redundant "Homeland Security"? Did you notice when they let Pay-Go lapse? Do you even know what Pay-Go is?
Why is it no one got upset until we got an admin that suggested spending money rebuilding America? THEN you all got born-again fiscal religion. The contrast is so recent, so obvious, and so blatant one wonders how they can speak with a straight face. With this in our recent past, I have little faith that they truly give a crap about the deficit. I don't believe they have a sincere bone in their body. It's just a partisan issue to squeal about while "the others" are in power.
There's a reason Bush did all that, and it's called "Starving The Beast." Republicans despise social welfare, unless it's geared to the top percentile. I don't hear any right-wingers calling for an end to ag subsidies or oil/coal subsidies. That is welfare, ain't it? Why does the middle-class only chew on it's own? Ask a right-winger what caused the economic meltdown. Chances are the only culprits they'll mention is.....other middle-class people who were sold loans they couldn't afford. Not a word about banks, loan sharks, investment houses. Say the words "Collateralized Debt Obligation" to them, and watch their eyes glass over. It's them deadbeat home-owners, but we dare not say a cross word about those nice obscenely wealthy banks who really just want the best for us little people, if we'd only just appreciate it.
There's not a thing wrong with making an extra buck or two million. But people have forgotten - we're actively discouraged from asking, it's unpatriotic even to ask, "How much is enough?" Oh, I get it, coming from a right-wing shill. I find it amazing that an alleged Christian can ask, "Show me the scripture."
LOL Yeah that 47% also includes those that are drawing their SS benefits. I wonder if he will advocate for that to end?

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#423719 Nov 30, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Since Jesus taught the Jewish commandments, he would have been speaking of the commandments God gave the Israelites?If you don't know what those are, I'll give you a hint. Start with Exodus 20 and read through 20, 21, 22, and 23. Those are the commandments of which Jesus was speaking.
Jesus was a Jew. He taught the Jewish laws. Why would say keep those cammandments and then at the last moment change his mind?
I don't think Christians ever , EVER think about what is actually in the Bible.
Hello WN..Maybe, This will help shed some light on your question.

The point is that Jesus came as a Jew, to Israel as the covenant people of God. "He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive Him.(John 1:11). In the book of Galatians, the apostle Paul tells us that Jesus was a Jew,"born under the law" (4:4). Jesus kept the old covenant and its law as a witness against the Jews. Unlike the nation, he had fulfilled the covenant of his Father that his accusers claimed to uphold, but had broken.

Since Jesus came as a Jew to his own people, we should expect that he would uphold the teachings of the Law of Moses "during his lifetime". As stated above, Jesus observed the Sabbath and kept the other Mosaic regulations in order to fulfill completely the old covenant as a witness against the Jews. His actions also demonstrated that the Old Testament itself pointed to him as the Messiah. Jesus was the fulfillment and embodiment of the Holy Scriptures, or our Old Testament.

Jesus did not change anything in terms of old covenant worship until his redemptive work was complete. Of course, he did imply during his ministry that things would change in the future—and that is an important point. To repeat, the kingdom of God was to be taken away from those who represented the Law of Moses and given to a people in whose heart was the indwelling presence of God through the Holy Spirit. The people of God would no longer worship at the temple in Jerusalem, but they would worship in spirit and in truth (John 4:21-24). They were no longer defined by a national covenant, but defined by faith in Christ. They would no longer keep the Law of Moses but the "law of Christ" (Galatians 6:2).

In conclusion, Christians are not under the old covenant, which is obsolete (Hebrews 8:13). Therefore, they need not keep the Sabbath or festivals in an old covenant way, as "holy time." They fulfill the purpose of these ritual laws through their faith in Jesus Christ, just as they fulfill the law of circumcision through faith (Colossians 2:11).

http://www.gci.org/law/jesussab

There is a whole lot more to it and if you are interested, I will help show you some interesting facts about the New Covenant and The Grace Message...Have a great night.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#423720 Nov 30, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't want preferential treatment on the basis of whether or not something is religious in nature. If there is a distinction that needs to be made, in the tax code, it should be based on behavior, not a label.
I don't know what the tax code actually says or I would give you a more comprehensive answer.
I am not sure either. Some churches do a lot of charitable work and then there are some that get rich and never gives a dime to help those in need. Good question though..Thanks

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#423721 Nov 30, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> If you voted for Obama, tell me why? Tell us all why anyone would vote for Obama when he said it would cut the debt in half and then it was increased 4 tril in 4 years. Tell my why under his watch Congress did not do a budget when they were trillions of dollars in debt? What problem does the United States have that supercedes the debt? I'm not running for Congress but i do know if 6 is taken in and 9 is spent on a consistent basis then that is a recipe for diaster. They are ignoring the problem, they are not doing their jobs.
Why did anyONE vote for Obama? 62 million people voted for Obama.

Each had their own reasons, but for me it was choice between fiscal and regulatory policies. Supply-side economics and deregulation have had a fair run to produce results, and the result was deficit, decline of the middle-class, jobs out-sourced at an ever-increasing clip, and global economic catastrophe.

Any idea has the right to be given a chance. Supply-side has had over ten unfettered years now to produce. It has been a dismal failure for all but the top percentile. They got a shot, it didn't work. For me, it was a decision to say No Thanks to that, and give these new ideas the same chance. Given what he inherited in Jan '09, and the unembarrassed obstructionism of the opposition, I think he's done pretty well so far. Apparently about 62 million Americans agree.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 18 min UIDIOTRACEMAKEWOR... 24,634
News Gov. Abbott suggests 'bathroom bill' is likely ... 2 hr e williams 3
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 hr nanoanomaly 985,583
Sarah George 3 hr Rememberboys 1
News GOP not interested in health care for us 4 hr discocrisco 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 hr PadMark 685,462
OVERWHELMED...by God's blessings 6 hr Doctor REALITY 12
David Duke: "We're going to take our country ba... 6 hr Doctor REALITY 32
More from around the web