“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#423590 Nov 30, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Only if you are a selfish pri#k who is not thinking of the best interest of the female. Assuming it is a female. In you case it could be a male. Either way, i think u are full of BS.
Hey - speaking from a woman's point of view, how do you know she's not using him?

First, you don't think young women can manipulate older men, you don't know young women :p

Second, you think young men are good in bed? You don't know young men :p

Third, you think young men are interested conversants? You don't know old men :p

In defense of older men and younger women ~ so there!

three tongues

:p

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#423591 Nov 30, 2012
DearthOfCouth wrote:
<quoted text>
Oooo. Another one.
You don't by any chance do lecture tours, do you?
Bless you, sir!(or ma'am).

I do, if you're interested, lecture tours. I just got back from giving two international presentations - one in San Francisco, one in Hong Kong. Mind you, they were academic and not lay lectures.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#423592 Nov 30, 2012
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
(waaasssuuup)
He doesn't want to learn how science works. Thinking makes his brain hurt. He thinks science a religion, to be denigrated for not being christian.
He's an idiot.
Speaking of idiots, did you hear O'Reilly declaring on his show last night that christianity is *not* a religion? God's balls, he's an asshole!!
Yeah, he doesn't.

No, I didn't. I never watch O'Reilly, except on Youtube when people make fun of him. Thanks for that, I may check out youtube :)

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#423593 Nov 30, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I have always believed 3 things are required; repentance, faithfullness, and obedience. Paul does have some verses that speak to things being conditional like keeping our election sure IF we do certain things and I could give you some more specifics at home but admittedly I find Christ's teaching to be spelled out much clearer in the gospels as Paul seemed to focus more on the grace aspect whereaqs James much more on faith in action and the gospels a nice mix of both. But I also believe that is why we had diff authors to give us the complete picture when looked at as a whole.(T) PEACE
According to the New Testament,they were Different because Paul was sent to the Gentiles and Peter, James and John was sent to teach the Jews..

“There's a feeling I get...”

Since: Jun 11

...when I look to the West

#423594 Nov 30, 2012
Through the hellfire, steps Double Fine.

Hi all.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423595 Nov 30, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible also says to kill witches, but I guess on balance you can cancel that out with some other verse. So the key to interpreting the Bible is knowing the whole thing, canceling out contradictions and tallying up the winners? I'm just askin'.
If I was an average guy in Salem during the witch trials, and I was walking around reading my Bible, and I tripped on something, and looked up, and saw an old ugly lady stirring a huge pot, giving me the evil eye, and I got up and looked down at my Bible, and just happened to read, "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.", I'd be like, "Oh yeah, you're gonna get it now. You tripped me witch!"
The best way to control how someone interprets words is to be explicit and precise. Surely I would put some blame on the interpreters, the ones that killed the witches, but I would also hold responsible any person who passes this off as "safe advice". Don't give idiots a Bible, or kids, or anyone who isn't already against witch burning, just to be safe. If you have to give them something, give them something error-free. The Bible ain't it.
I've kinda gone off on a tangent, but you've made the point, correct me if I'm wrong, that there are "good" interpretations, and "bad" interpretations. I think we can go a bit further than that, and throw out the idea that homosexuality is a sin. We (Christian society) have thrown out the flat circle Earth idea. We (American Christians at least) have thrown out the witch burning idea. I'll hold the waste basket for you. Dunk it.
It seems that you really can interpret the Bible any way you like and to say anything you wish it to say.

Rewriting it to make it more palatable than it really is seems to be quite popular here of late.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#423596 Nov 30, 2012
Grace Walker wrote:
According to the New Testament,they were Different because Paul was sent to the Gentiles and Peter, James and John was sent to teach the Jews..
First century Jews despised homosexuality. That is why Jesus did not address it in the Gospels. They were on the same page. Jesus did define marriage as between a man and a woman. Homosexuality, pedestry, incest marriage were practiced by non Jews. That is why Paul addressed it and Jesus did not. As you have pointed out. The audiences were different which seems to go above all heads here. To justisfy homosexual relationships because of ''love'' is alien to Scripture.

http://www2.hu-berlin.de/sexology/BIB/Helleni...

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#423597 Nov 30, 2012
Double Fine wrote:
Through the hellfire, steps Double Fine.
Hi all.
Hey dude! How are things with the rich and famous?

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#423598 Nov 30, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Only if you are a selfish pri#k who is not thinking of the best interest of the female. Assuming it is a female. In you case it could be a male. Either way, i think u are full of BS.
She had no complaints. Please explain how I am selfish.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#423599 Nov 30, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Well done! How long have you been seeing her?
A week.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423600 Nov 30, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
Tide...i probably didnt explain that as well as I could of but you did hit on part of it when you said the key is to knowing the entire Bible. The verse about suffering no witch to live is in the Old Testament which is when we were under Mosaic Law. When Christ died on the Cross the Bible said he freed us from the curse of law. We are now in what is commonly known as The Age of Grace in which all commandments fall under the umbrella of what is known as the Two Greatest Commandments which are love God and love your neighbor as yourself. Jesus went on to explain what it means to love your neighbor in the parable of the Good Samritan. He also expanded on it. He said you have been taught love your neighbor and hate youjr enemy but I tell you to love ur enemy. That even sinners love those who love them back so one has accomplished nothing by doing this. It is by loving and praying even for our enemies do we remain obedient. Now it shows throughout Galatians, Hebrews, and John we are now under the NT..cont
Well, I have some serious questions about this post.

It is my understanding that you are saying in your post above that it was the 'right' of the Israelites to kill witches right up to the moment of a new covenant. Then, it was not a 'right'.

The Jews do not accept a new covenant, as the God of the OT says that his laws will stand 'until the end of time', and yet they were not killing witches until 300 years ago in the US and up till this very day in other countries.

I understand that you see this practice as abhorrent, as well should you and everyone else in the world.

But I am amazed at the number of people who also believe in this 'new covenant' who still quote the OT when it comes to proving a point. Maybe they don't misunderstand this new covenant, but ignore it when it's convenient.
wonambi

Williamsburg, KY

#423601 Nov 30, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>It seems that you really can interpret the Bible any way you like and to say anything you wish it to say.
Rewriting it to make it more palatable than it really is seems to be quite popular here of late.
and this too is a belief. must be another one of those you don't consider too personal?

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423602 Nov 30, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible also says to kill witches, but I guess on balance you can cancel that out with some other verse. So the key to interpreting the Bible is knowing the whole thing, canceling out contradictions and tallying up the winners? I'm just askin'.
If I was an average guy in Salem during the witch trials, and I was walking around reading my Bible, and I tripped on something, and looked up, and saw an old ugly lady stirring a huge pot, giving me the evil eye, and I got up and looked down at my Bible, and just happened to read, "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.", I'd be like, "Oh yeah, you're gonna get it now. You tripped me witch!"
The best way to control how someone interprets words is to be explicit and precise. Surely I would put some blame on the interpreters, the ones that killed the witches, but I would also hold responsible any person who passes this off as "safe advice". Don't give idiots a Bible, or kids, or anyone who isn't already against witch burning, just to be safe. If you have to give them something, give them something error-free. The Bible ain't it.
I've kinda gone off on a tangent, but you've made the point, correct me if I'm wrong, that there are "good" interpretations, and "bad" interpretations. I think we can go a bit further than that, and throw out the idea that homosexuality is a sin. We (Christian society) have thrown out the flat circle Earth idea. We (American Christians at least) have thrown out the witch burning idea. I'll hold the waste basket for you. Dunk it.
Also, I found it very enlightening to see who you think should have a Bible and who shouldn't. I think most ministers would disagree with you limiting the number and types of people who can own a Bible.

You interpret the Bible differently than others. Do you not realize that they may see you as the one who is incorrect and want to take your Bible away from you to keep you from teaching others your version?

Just who is to decide if these people are an idiot or not?

What would you give them that is 'error-free'?

Why is the word of God not error-free?

So many questions that I'll never see answered because there are no answers.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#423603 Nov 30, 2012
In North America, the term frequently refers to Wiccans -- the followers of the Wiccan religion. According to the Scofield Reference Bible this verse was written in the year 1491 BCE. This is some 650 years before the origin of the Celtic people from whom the oldest elements of Wicca were taken. So Exodus 22:18 can hardly be referring to Wiccans.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#423604 Nov 30, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Well, I have some serious questions about this post.
It is my understanding that you are saying in your post above that it was the 'right' of the Israelites to kill witches right up to the moment of a new covenant. Then, it was not a 'right'.
The Jews do not accept a new covenant, as the God of the OT says that his laws will stand 'until the end of time', and yet they were not killing witches until 300 years ago in the US and up till this very day in other countries.
I understand that you see this practice as abhorrent, as well should you and everyone else in the world.
But I am amazed at the number of people who also believe in this 'new covenant' who still quote the OT when it comes to proving a point. Maybe they don't misunderstand this new covenant, but ignore it when it's convenient.
According to the Sanhedrin records in the Talmud, Jesus, Matthew and three other disciples were "witches" and executed by the Romans.
bheithir

Williamsburg, KY

#423605 Nov 30, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
In North America, the term frequently refers to Wiccans -- the followers of the Wiccan religion. According to the Scofield Reference Bible this verse was written in the year 1491 BCE. This is some 650 years before the origin of the Celtic people from whom the oldest elements of Wicca were taken. So Exodus 22:18 can hardly be referring to Wiccans.
why can't people be consistent and call it what it is? why so many terms and verbiage for the same thing?
lindworm

Williamsburg, KY

#423606 Nov 30, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
it is difficult to credit jesus condemning homosexuality, as he was gay himself
you speaking from experience or belief?

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423607 Nov 30, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
Tide....not even sure what the game is you think would even be a possibility but I can assure you I am talking from the heart. It is not that I dont think others can have a change of heart, in fact I specifically said some may feel how they do because they lack the necesarry experience or information that would help them see otherwise. and what you are talking about is someone teaching u hate. that is different than what I was talking about. I am saying nobody entering the faith imo who simply read the Bible and came to their own conclusions would suddenly turn bigot if they understood and wanted to follow the commandments of Christ. Sure if someone used the Bible to teach u to be homophobic or bigoted that was wrong but nothing in the nt would have allowed them to do that. and can ppl have a change of heart? sure. I did so y not others. I am saying I dont think until them someone is immoral because they sincerely believe homosexuality is an act peoploe shouldnt engage in. Ppl can say they think they ..cont
Most Christians *are* homophobic. While I agree that it's wrong, I do not agree that the Bible is not the source of homophobic thinking.

Most Christians would disagree with _you_ on this issue. I realize that you take a much gentler approach to this subject, but it seems that you are in the minority. You think it's a 'sin', but you don't think on a personal basis that it's wrong (as I understand what you've written) to the extent that most Christians take it.

What I see happening in Christianity now is trying to excuse away the actions of some Christians by saying 'they don't understand the Bible' essentially rewriting the Bible to be less objectionable.

When you have to rewrite it, it can only mean one thing: you think God made mistakes in the OT and had to make up for it by sending his son to correct those mistakes.

When God said his laws would be good to the end of time, he must not have been able to see the future and what it would take to correct some of those laws.

Jesus taught the Torah. He taught his followers to obey the Torah. Then, according to Christians, he suddenly changed his mind at the last supper and made a new covenant with them and they no longer had to obey the Torah...the laws that were supposed to be in place forever? I personally do not think so.
stoorworm

Williamsburg, KY

#423608 Nov 30, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the Sanhedrin records in the Talmud, Jesus, Matthew and three other disciples were "witches" and executed by the Romans.
thats interesting! why would romans execute witches for the sanhedrin? augery and consulting oracles was prevalent all over the roman empire.

even joshua would have been the oracle for moses.

1 Samuel 9:9
(Beforetime in Israel, when a man went to enquire of God, thus he spake, Come, and let us go to the seer: for he that is now called a Prophet was beforetime called a Seer.)

Exodus 24:13
13 And Moses rose up, and his minister Joshua: and Moses went up into the mount of God.

Exodus 33:11
And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423609 Nov 30, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
The Hebrew version (the original from 500 BC) says to kill astrologers and fortune tellers. Most likely a dig at their Babylonian cousins and recent (500BC) antagonists who were famous for astrological prophecies.
Now, how many Christians visit "fortune tellers" and read their horoscopes while foaming at the mouth about "witches".
If it wasn't so real and hateful it would be hilarious hypocricy.
There ya go.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Rosa_Winkel 830,321
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 7 min janeebee 3,940
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 24 min andet1987 5,821
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 28 min hojo 585,774
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 38 min Rosa_Winkel 99,263
I wish God would get rid of all homosexuals in ... 45 min andet1987 3
the homosexuals who are EMBARRASSMENTS to the ... 51 min andet1987 5
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Student 40,218
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 hr dr Shrink 611,943
More from around the web