Why I’m no longer a Christian

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#423679 Nov 30, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I expect public policy to reflect the ideal that all Americans should have access to resources, whatever they might be, either to help those that can't provide for themselves, or help those that are having difficulty reaching independent sustainability.
I don't deny that there are "leeches" on the system. What do you think would be the best way to target this problem and solve it?
Eliminate the Earned Income Credit. Then you can talk about taxing the rich and even churches.
Whatever your point is, I'd like you to make it more explicitly without an analogy.
See my post to Catcher.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Sacramento, CA

#423680 Nov 30, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Then make your case. From Scripture.
I can't make any case from scripture, because I am generally unfamiliar with it and not interested anyway.

I have heard much of Jesus's teachings though, and I am certain that if he were alive today he would not be a right-winger.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#423681 Nov 30, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>No one has asked you to convert to anything.
What has been *suggested* is that you begin to do as you claim and follow the teachings of Jesus. Of course, no one really expects you to put away the religion you've made up in order to excuse yourself from not doing so.
i saved this for you:

i may not being doing the greatest job at following Jesus, but i must say that you're doing an excellent job at being the kind of people who crucified Him and persecute His people:)

can you please just do this yourself from now on?

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#423682 Nov 30, 2012
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
Jesus vs. Christianity
Matthew 19: 16-17
The question:
"Then someone came to him and said,‘Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?’"
The answer:
"And he said to him,‘Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.’"
well there you have it!

now all you have to do is keep the commandments without fail and you're in!

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#423683 Nov 30, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Then make your case. From Scripture. My objection is not with people who have legitimate needs, but others who would rather collect a check from the government when the country is around 16 trillion in debt and projected to go to 20 Trillion. We take in around 6 and 9 is spent. Under Obama no budget was ever produced as far as i know. This is from a man who said he would cut it all in half in four years and increased it all 4 trillion in 4 years. That is a dismal failure and the number one problem in the nation today. If you Dems do not know the well is run dry then you got your heads where the sun does not shine.
Why is the well dry? How do we refill the well? Who has all the water?

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#423684 Nov 30, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> How do you know Annie will tell you she has no soul? I've never once heard her make such a claim.
OK ask him or her, if he or she is a "true atheist" he or she would say "no". I do believe atheist should have more then one word. I do believe someone could believe in No God, but believe they have a soul. I am surprised such Gnostic Atheist don't point this out. In most of my dealings the Gnostic Atheist is a bluffer.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423685 Nov 30, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Then make your case. From Scripture. My objection is not with people who have legitimate needs, but others who would rather collect a check from the government when the country is around 16 trillion in debt and projected to go to 20 Trillion. We take in around 6 and 9 is spent. Under Obama no budget was ever produced as far as i know. This is from a man who said he would cut it all in half in four years and increased it all 4 trillion in 4 years. That is a dismal failure and the number one problem in the nation today. If you Dems do not know the well is run dry then you got your heads where the sun does not shine.
How would you suggest we determine who the really needy are and who are the takers? What do you consider 'legitimate needs' and how would you decide who has them and how to help them?

I'm looking for honest to goodness solutions, not more rhetoric. So if you don't have a plan in mind that would work toward the betterment of the system and therefore the betterment of all Americans, don't complain.

Catcher1

Fremont, CA

#423686 Nov 30, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is the well dry? How do we refill the well? Who has all the water?
The waters parted.

Then Jesus walked on the water.

Then he turned it into wine.

Catcher1

Fremont, CA

#423687 Nov 30, 2012
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
OK ask him or her, if he or she is a "true atheist" he or she would say "no". I do believe atheist should have more then one word. I do believe someone could believe in No God, but believe they have a soul. I am surprised such Gnostic Atheist don't point this out. In most of my dealings the Gnostic Atheist is a bluffer.
Never any god!

Catcher1

Fremont, CA

#423688 Nov 30, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>How would you suggest we determine who the really needy are and who are the takers? What do you consider 'legitimate needs' and how would you decide who has them and how to help them?
I'm looking for honest to goodness solutions, not more rhetoric. So if you don't have a plan in mind that would work toward the betterment of the system and therefore the betterment of all Americans, don't complain.
It's the right-wing talking points.

Check out the Bush Is a Hero thread and you'll find a bunch of Lighbeamrider clones, all parroting the same mean-spirited mantra.

Location hidden

#423689 Nov 30, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Eliminate the Earned Income Credit. Then you can talk about taxing the rich and even churches.
<quoted text> See my post to Catcher.
Why would you eliminate Earned Income Credit? Principally, what is your objection to it?

Do you object to taxing the rich? Are you rich?

We should treat churches like country clubs, as far as taxes go. I'm not sure what the laws actually are concerning churches and the tax code, but I've heard it said by people I trust that Churches are given preferential treatment. Not all churches operate the same way, or necessarily do any good at all for the community. Basically, our tax code shouldn't even mention churches. If they are eligible for a tax write-off, due to actual behavior, then I would have no problem granting equal access to those write-offs. There's just no reason to differentiate in the tax code between a church and a social club, or whatever a church resembles in behavior. Many are profitable businesses, and should be treated as such.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#423690 Nov 30, 2012
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
WN already knows the answer to that...so why should she ask.

You do not know what you think you know...par for the course.

If you want to know something...ask me yourself...if I think that you deserve an answer then I will give it...if not...go ahead and think you know what you do not know.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423691 Nov 30, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> Eliminate the Earned Income Credit. Then you can talk about taxing the rich and even churches.
<quoted text> See my post to Catcher.
You realize that if you take the earned income credit from the working poor that are only able to work minimum wage jobs that it takes away the incentive to work a minimum wage job, don't you? There are people who do not have the education/ability to work any other kind of job.

Earned income credit offsets some of the SS taxes. The three tests for EIC is are age , living in the same household as the taxpayer, and relationship to the taxpayer.

EIC is also available because a family member is permanently disabled for the year and living in the same household for the year taxes are filed.

This affects near poverty level households up to households considered middle income.

Only 26 states have EIC.

If you think that cutting out EIC will balance the budget as well as making millionaires pay their fair share of taxes, you have a broken calculator.

A family with three children earning between $12,549 and $16,449 gets an EIC of $5,666.

When income reaches $40,363 the EIC is $0.

But I'm interested in seeing why you want to continue to cut loopholes for the poorest of our citizens while you don't think it's right to increase taxes on the richest. Even Warren Buffett disagrees with you.

I'm almost sure you're one of those who thinks giving the wealthiest in this country all the tax breaks will somehow make your life easier, but I'll wait for your answer to determine that.

Catcher1

Fremont, CA

#423692 Nov 30, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you object to taxing the rich? Are you rich?
I don't know if Lightbeamrider is rich.

I believe she said she was large though.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423693 Nov 30, 2012
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
Jesus vs. Christianity
Matthew 19: 16-17
The question:
"Then someone came to him and said,‘Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?’"
The answer:
"And he said to him,‘Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.’"
I'm sure you know this, but I'll state it anyhow...
The Christians don't think this says what it says.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423694 Nov 30, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
well there you have it!
now all you have to do is keep the commandments without fail and you're in!
Since Jesus taught the Jewish commandments, he would have been speaking of the commandments God gave the Israelites?If you don't know what those are, I'll give you a hint. Start with Exodus 20 and read through 20, 21, 22, and 23. Those are the commandments of which Jesus was speaking.

Jesus was a Jew. He taught the Jewish laws. Why would say keep those cammandments and then at the last moment change his mind?

I don't think Christians ever , EVER think about what is actually in the Bible.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423695 Nov 30, 2012
That would be 'commandments'.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423696 Nov 30, 2012
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Annie has never claimed to be an atheist. Why must you lie for your religion? Isn't it good enough to stand on its own?

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423697 Nov 30, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the right-wing talking points.
Check out the Bush Is a Hero thread and you'll find a bunch of Lighbeamrider clones, all parroting the same mean-spirited mantra.
I have yet to see anyone post solutions other than those touted on Fox News. They don't really understand them, but you're right, it's a talking point.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Into this world we're thrown

#423698 Nov 30, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>LOL....I had no doubt you would be around "larry". Your business must be doing great.I wouldnt worry about how the auto industry is doing if I were you. Just make sure the buses are running on time cause you wont be able to afford a new car
It says alot about you skom, that you NEED my business to be failing..........

Grow up chile..........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 1 min As It Is 26,213
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 min Gods r Delusion x... 685,757
David Duke: "We're going to take our country ba... 2 hr Doctor REALITY 58
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 hr UMORONRACEMAKEWOR... 985,692
to Maria Chapelle-Nadal: it's time to ROLL, sista' 3 hr Doctor REALITY 1
I hate Haiti (Jan '10) 4 hr Anne Nonymiss 109
"BIGGEST SCAM in WORLD HISTORY...." 5 hr YTube 1st 1
More from around the web