Why I’m no longer a Christian

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423647 Nov 30, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not interpret the Bible at all. I can't read the original, so I read the English version. They're interpreted for me. Since I don't believe it, I don't need to see it one way or another. I just read what it says. If it didn't have so many errors, it could be read without creative interpretation.
It's regrettable, in my view, that anyone is handed a Bible and told that it is the truth. Any random person reading the Bible in a vacuum of social influence is liable to do just about anything in response to reading it. We American atheists are lucky that our Christians have been tempered, and often restrained by law.
"Why is the word of God not error-free?" This is easy. Show me something that is error-free before claiming it as the word of a god. I reject the Bible as the word of a god based on the Bible. If that is the word of a god, I can produce words and wisdom of a higher god. Many people could. It wouldn't even be difficult. I could also do it without inconsistencies, with better poetry, and I'd throw in humor.
If you're gonna give a kid a Bible, let them know about the Inquisition, the Crusades, the Witch Trials, and Rational Skepticism, so they can decide for themselves what is likely, and what is just wishful thinking. The HISTORY of the Bible is a lesson that we should not repeat, so I wouldn't really want to take that away. Neither would I want to take away a person's right to delude themselves with comforting fairy tales, I just wouldn't respect the delusion.
Excellent. Honest answers and good ones, IMO.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#423648 Nov 30, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Babylonian Talmud:
Tractate Sanhedrin
Folio 43a
Interesting link G!

What is more interesting, are the names of the disciples listed:

"Yeshu had five disciples, Matthai, Nakai, Nezer, Buni and Todah."

...and the statement that he [Yeshu] "was hanged":

"On the eve of the Passover Yeshu34 was hanged."
- footnote 34 =[Ms.M. adds the Nasarean'.]

http://www.halakhah.com/sanhedrin/sanhedrin_4...

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423649 Nov 30, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
hi w_n -
please consider this my blanket statement for everything you may say to me in the future; cut & paste it if you like:
i may not being doing the greatest job at following Jesus, but i must say that you're doing an excellent job at being the kind of people who crucified Him and persecute His people:)
You're a ass.

I would never wish anyone to be harmed for any reason. I have no reason to persecute anyone. I disagree with you. I think you're a total ass. I think you're a Jackass for Jesus. That does not mean I want you harmed.

Of course, you wouldn't understand that as you do wish harm on those who do not believe as you do. Therefore, you think those that disagree with you would naturally want you harmed.

There are no persecution points for sitting in front of your employer's computer, stealing his time and showing your ass. Sorry, you'll have to try acting like Jesus told you to before you can start collecting persecution points.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#423650 Nov 30, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Oh, really? By pointing out your moral flaws I'm acting like Pilate?
So you're telling me that Pilate had a 21st century version of morality? He despised slavery, wanted education for all and funding for stopping poverty and eradicating disease?
Wow, Pilate is just full of surprises!
Would you have persecuted Jesus?

I think Jesus would have bitch slapped wasssssy.

People that actually do act like Jesus, especially if they have political aspirations, are invariably "persecuted" by The Religious Right in America. Jesus was a pinko commy, to them, nothing more than a libtard, pussified hand-out queen, soft boiled egg America Hater!

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#423651 Nov 30, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
No worries. There are people here that don't know me, and such insight would have been necessary to "divine" the nature of my post.
:-) Thanks for your understanding.

About that "divine nature"...Christians tell me all the time that I am missing that "insight"! LOL

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#423652 Nov 30, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
People that actually do act like Jesus, especially if they have political aspirations, are invariably "persecuted" by The Religious Right in America. Jesus was a pinko commy, to them, nothing more than a libtard, pussified hand-out queen, soft boiled egg America Hater!
If Jesus is accurately described in the NT, I would have freed him and strung up the Jewish leaders who wanted him dead. But we both know Jesus is not accurately represented in the NT. Let's assume it all transpired as written - that means that Pilate, aware of the political situation, nailed Jesus to the cross to control potential unrest and his puppet leaders.

I'm different than Pilate, so I'd consider the future a little more, too. Which works best to cement Pilate's power?

I really like your last 3 sentences :)

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#423653 Nov 30, 2012
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
hi there! you're not by any chance judging me & trying to force your standards of morality on me all the while you accuse me of doing that to you again, are you? how do hypocrites live with themselves???
<quoted text>
You'll never get through to him. He'll just keep on telling himself, "But, I *can* do what I want! I'm *forgiven*--don't you understand? Being forgiven means not having to be responsible!*I* don't have to be responsible!*I* don't have to be honest!*I* don't have to live by the same rules you do!*I* get to do what *I* want, but *you don't,* because you're not forgiven!!"
Forget about getting through to him.
yeah, i'll never convert to the 'THEY-SAY' religion....

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#423654 Nov 30, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i can see that we've been born morally corrupt and that's why we need to be born-again.
can you NOT see this??? read your local paper.....
<quoted text>
He'll never understand it; he doesn't want to.
that's what 'they say'!

do you wanna consider yourself different and rebel against 'the man', kait? then rebel against PCism and its proponents cuz that's the real tyrant!:)

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#423655 Nov 30, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for taking the time to give me both sources. I bookmarked the first and will read it later. Gotta do some of the mundane things which have to be done in order to live in a clean house, wear clean clothes, and eat homemade meals.
I just had a Steak-Umm sammie, wi' fried onions and melted Swiss.

*urp*

Erm, sorry.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#423656 Nov 30, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep writing that gays are morally corrupt and all that.
I'll stop condemning Christianity when the religion becomes a moral one.
<quoted text>
And there you go condemning people again.
Condemn...
verb (used with object)
1. to express an unfavorable or adverse judgment on; indicate strong disapproval of; censure.
2. to pronounce to be guilty; sentence to punishment: to condemn a murderer to life imprisonment.
Or...a non-believer to hell...
What part of you telling those who don't believe as you do that they are going to some hell-place is NOT condemning them?
Now stop telling us, you goddamn liar, about how you never condemn anyone.
'homosexuality' is a behavior, not a person!

don't do the crime if you can't do the time!;)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#423657 Nov 30, 2012
<quoted text>
Go fart somewhere else.
seperate yourself from evil spirits, kait, cuz i like you but i'm fi'n to put sum hurt on them;)

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#423658 Nov 30, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> You're a ass.
I would never wish anyone to be harmed for any reason. I have no reason to persecute anyone. I disagree with you. I think you're a total ass. I think you're a Jackass for Jesus. That does not mean I want you harmed.
Of course, you wouldn't understand that as you do wish harm on those who do not believe as you do. Therefore, you think those that disagree with you would naturally want you harmed.
There are no persecution points for sitting in front of your employer's computer, stealing his time and showing your ass. Sorry, you'll have to try acting like Jesus told you to before you can start collecting persecution points.
And VPPs* don't count, anyway.

In other words, he's wastin' his time.

“Peace Love”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#423659 Nov 30, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I can understand why you might assume I have a religious reason to deny evolution but I dont. It makes no difference to me how the ball got rolling, I believe God was the catalyst. I simply want to know the truth and dont understand all these claims people make as facts like evolution theory is a proven fact or it is a fact that evolution will never stop barring extinction. If someone tells me they believe that then fine. But to claim this is undistupable to me seems like ppl are taking huge liberties with facts that no way can be known. My interest in adaptation isnt because i have a problemj with evolution but more so that I want to know how we can even be certain humans simply havent adapted to their environment and now are done? both would be against literal creation theory so i have nothing to gain
HidingFromYou has explained it very well. There's no way I can improve on her posts and I'm not going to try to. I think the only way you are going to gain a better understanding is to head back to class and study the material and evidence first hand.

“The Black Mermaid”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#423660 Nov 30, 2012
Breaveheart wrote:
I started out without any influance from the church... my parents did not care wether we went or not no traditions what so ever. I chose Jesus Christ in my twenties and do not look back... most of my brothers and sisters also has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ
We are not religious but enjoy the liberty to love and be loved...
That's really very nice and encouraging :)

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#423661 Nov 30, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
....people who crucified Him and persecute His people:)
That would be the Romans and Christians which have been one and the same for the last 1700 years.

You are part of the people who murdered Jews, including Jesus, for the last 2000 years.

“Peace Love”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#423662 Nov 30, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
ahhh, you did good, too, Mr. Wiggley!
You provided a great, succinct explanation.
Awww shucks...Thanks HFY.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#423663 Nov 30, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for taking the time to give me both sources. I bookmarked the first and will read it later. Gotta do some of the mundane things which have to be done in order to live in a clean house, wear clean clothes, and eat homemade meals.
Well while you are reading...

"G" said something in a post that got me thinking so I went in search of what I needed to complete that thought. This is what I found instead...thought you might enjoy...

Institute For Historical Review

For a Balanced History of the American Indian

http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v18/v18n2p24_Bruckner....

The author at the end gave his personal view...thought it fit nicely here.

To strive for a "clean" or righteous history of one's own people is quite understandable. Nobody wants to be ashamed of his or her own past. That is true for individuals as well as for peoples. But this desire must not permit one to falsify history. A one-sided history, based on selectively chosen sources, is a falsified history.- Zoltán Bruckner

“What do I know?”

Since: Apr 08

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423664 Nov 30, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going on record: I think putting some poor man to a gruesome and excruciating death for something someone else did is about as immoral a thing as I can imagine.

I would never have asked for such a thing. If offered such a barbarous bargain I would have declined it, and if I had been in political authority at the time I suspect that I would have put a stop to it!

And I love your second sentence!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#423665 Nov 30, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are expecting a hand out like you have some right to free things from the working class or the producers then you are a leech. In order for everybody to get a certain benefit it has to be paid for. That means it is the producers who do the paying for non producers. The producers pull the wagon and the non producers ride in the wagon. On their ride they act like they have the right to ride in the wagon.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#423666 Nov 30, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> If you are expecting a hand out like you have some right to free things from the working class or the producers then you are a leech. In order for everybody to get a certain benefit it has to be paid for. That means it is the producers who do the paying for non producers. The producers pull the wagon and the non producers ride in the wagon. On their ride they act like they have the right to ride in the wagon.
That's the right-wing line, you know.

Certainly not Jesus's philosophy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 min bad bob 15,882
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min kent 683,714
So how exactly did O.J. Simpson pull off a doub... 27 min Doctor REALITY 12
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 29 min Aerobatty 983,116
I'm very saddened by Kryie wanting away from Le... 54 min Doctor REALITY 2
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 59 min Born Again Past JW 46,265
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr Devoted Child Prayer 619,691
More from around the web