Why I知 no longer a Christian

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#423486 Nov 29, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
You mean, like heart disease because I like salt and vinegar potato chips? Yeah, that's true. We all live with the repercussions of our actions.
The other day i went to the gym before work and stepped on the scale. To my surprise i found i had gained around 25 lbs since the beginning of the year. It was a different scale than the one i used earlier as i joined one of them 24/7 health clubs we have here. The other gym had limited access and plenty more members which made it crowded. So i probably did not gain that much. i liked the fact i was under 200 and now i am more my normal weight.
I, if I can confess to you, LB, need to be less lazy and write a lot more. And more exercise.
I need to read more and get out once in a while instead of laying around on my days off which will probably be few and far between for the next month or so.
Fair enough. You'll have to pardon my earlier posts to you - it didn't seem like you appreciated our agreement on these issues earlier, so I kind of went overboard in repeating myself. Sorry about that.
Well i certainly did notice it. I did not recall if you changed your position recently or if you always suspected Jesus existed or was of the opinion Jesus was myth.
Well, you believe it happened and transcends culture and experience and all that. And you have good, personal reasons for believing it - or, at least, they appear as good reasons to you.
But you know what? Buddhists have their miracles, Hindus theirs, and all other religions, their miracles. Theirs are equally emotionally and personally important to them as Christ's resurrection is to you.
I dismiss all such claims, not just the ones you make. When Buddhist priests immolate themselves, to this day, Buddha does not appear in the sky, despite that they fervently "know" He does.
Hey, what do you think, LB? Do Buddhist miracles happen?
Don't know. Miracles can be subtle. People can change. Stop destructive addictive behaviors and replace them with healthy ones.
What about Hindu ones? Does Yanomami magic work? There's lots of people who "know" these events take place. They know so well that they take place that they never consider otherwise.
There are movements within Christianity where people claim to be healed of diseases and all that but i stay away because it all has more of an intellectual appeal. I enjoyed the Bible studies at first with down to Earth people and the discussions. Also group prayer was a big one for me. Now if i attend church the more memorable things i walk away with is the talent of the young violin player and the beauty of the sounds made through her hours of practice. The biggest churches here are near the College and it is mostly young people. The sermons cater to that crowd so i am somewhat of an outsider in that sense. That is fine because nobody is strong arming these people to attend and it gives me hope for the future.
Isn't it amazing that both you and I don't care that those people "know" their miracles happen? I honestly never lose sleep about it. I don't think you do, either.
No i don't. I can tell you in the past year or so things have changed for the better since i picked up the Bible and decided to give it another whirl. I cannot prove cause and effect. Things worked out better overall than they have in years. That could all change tomorrow or at any time by circumstances that are beyond my control. I don't know where i am going with all this. Not good at chit chat. I did notice your compliment earlier and i thank you for that. i don't have to tell you how smart i think you are because i believe it is obvious to all who read your posts.

“How You Treat Me”

Since: May 10

Determines How I Treat You

#423487 Nov 29, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Here you go, condemning people for being born as they are - and including homosexuality in a list of problems.
It's not a problem, it's not a disorder. The disorder is in your head; religion has made you a hater of people whose only difference is to enjoy sexual relationships differently than you. This is a serious flaw in your religion - it promotes hate here, it promotes divisiveness and enables you to marginalize and hurt people who aren't like you.
How can you not see that as morally corrupt?
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i can see that we've been born morally corrupt.....
Speak for yourself, assbite.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#423488 Nov 29, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
1. I never once appealed to the word "prove." You brought that into the discussion because you don't likes nothing for you. Recall that you first asked me "what is the difference between adaptation and evolution and how do we know .
And challenge my confidence in regards to what? In what ego-fantasy world are you shaking my confidence and what do you think you are shaking it in? And lets not pretend this isnt a carry over from the other room where we were arguing over my being offended that you saw nothing wrong with adult strangers walking around naked around children and claimed it was no big deal if children see adult stranger's genitalia because children have genitalia of their own. Your refusal to see this as innapropriate and that it would mAke abuse easier if children are given the idea it is ok for a stranger to be naked in front of them. You want to be pissy here cause you are mad about our conversation there

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#423489 Nov 29, 2012
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm stepping aside and referring all questions to you.
By the way...Excellent...thanks!!!
ahhh, you did good, too, Mr. Wiggley!

You provided a great, succinct explanation.

“How You Treat Me”

#423490 Nov 29, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
Annie - the entire premise of your letter is that because i confess God & defend my faith, i'm not allowed to have a personality or freedoms to talk about anything else like you and others can. i REJECT that!
YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!!!
What are you, five?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#423491 Nov 29, 2012
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Few of us are. But HFY is.
She writes from a tremendous wealth of education and intellect.
We're not worthy.
<sniffle>

Hello back to you!

You're more than worthy, young man! Everyone here brings their own expertise to the table.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#423492 Nov 29, 2012
Tide with Beach wrote:
I need to let you guys in on a secret.
Skombolis and I have been engaging in homosexual behavior together. He probably won't call me back, because I'm "outing" him, but he was really rough and called me a slut. I don't care. I can get any guy I want.
Oh, no! waaaaaaaaaaa!

It's always the hotties...

“IMAGINE no religion!”

Since: Feb 09

usa

#423493 Nov 29, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
.......Birth-control is to prevent pregnancy.

Some people believe religiously the only reason to have sex is to get pregnant..........
actually birth control has other uses. some women will be prescribed BC pills to regulate their mensutral cycle.

and some women who take the BC actually up their chances of becoming pregnant.

as for having sex, just to get pregnant.........then why continue to have sex after the child bearing years are over?

“How You Treat Me”

#423494 Nov 29, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i can see that we've been born morally corrupt and that's why we need to be born-again.
can you NOT see this??? read your local paper.....
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
My local paper is about the furthest thing you can get from Christianity. Sorry, baby, most Japanese just don't get you people. The concept of being "born again" is kind of silly to us. Just use kata to fashion yourself as a better person.
The only reason why he sees ugliness and hate everywhere is because that's all he looks for. He doesn't want to see good; otherwise, he'd have nothing to bitch about.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#423495 Nov 29, 2012
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't really expect an honest answer from him, do you?
I'd really like to, SK! I really, really would.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#423496 Nov 29, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I may be mistaken if you had been joking before this post but was under the impression it was common knowledge you are gay. it may not be known by other or I may be wrong. But if you are then I personally dont think what you said was offensive. I think it would be if a straight man said it. But if you arent straight I see nothing wrong about the joke as a form of social commentary. It is true some that speak the loudest do so to hide their own procivities or to deny them to self. But you would be wrong. People want to hate the Bible so bad that they will actually go after a guy condemning bigotry just because they dont wantg the Bible let off the hook. I find that bizarre. people on any side of this need to realize there is no justification for hate and that they alone are responsible for their actions. no blaming the Bible and no blaming the guy that points out u cant blame it cause it doesnt allow it
errrr...Tide...uhm...is...not. ..er...you know, he really, really likes women.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#423497 Nov 29, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I asked you for an explanation in laymans terms why you are stating it as a fact...which you are. I in no way was suggesting that how fact is defined be softened nor were your responses allowing for that anyway. you have claimed it is a certainty evolution is ongoing unless something goes extinct and I was stupid if I cant understand that. I think you have nothing even resembling fact or proof to make such a claim. are you now denying you claim was as fact? Lets clarify then, is it possible evolution is not always continuous and may stop at a certain point? yes or no? i think you were quite clear earlier that you stated this as a certainty but i guess i will see what yoU say now b4 pulling up ur old posts
Well, sorry about the rudeness, but we were each being jerkfaces last night. I'm always willing to start again b/c there's no need for unkindness.

Next, you seem to be making the claim that science doesn't work in facts. If you are going to set up your requirement as "explain X, but please keep in mind you aren't allowed to present facts" then I can't really do much here.

Location hidden

#423498 Nov 29, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So ignore her posts.
Ignore mine too.
Um..I just said I was going to ignore her posts. Kind of ironic when my newest stalker wants to give me advice on how to deal with someone else obsessed with me. At one point during a past disagreement she wrote me 11 straight times in reply to posts that had nothing to do with her and were not to her. It would seem you are cut from the same cloth as now you are actually just repeating back to me what is in my post as an excuse to post to me! But engaging women in such a pointless exchange doesnt interest me. I admit, making fun of pussified "men" who get obsessed with me is entertaining and I will continue to point it out when u do it.So no free pass for you:)

“How You Treat Me”

#423500 Nov 29, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
hi there! you're not by any chance judging me & trying to force your standards of morality on me all the while you accuse me of doing that to you again, are you? how do hypocrites live with themselves???
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Not by *my* standards. By the standards of the Bible you claim to follow. Your theft is against what that book teaches. Live with it.
You'll never get through to him. He'll just keep on telling himself, "But, I *can* do what I want! I'm *forgiven*--don't you understand? Being forgiven means not having to be responsible!*I* don't have to be responsible!*I* don't have to be honest!*I* don't have to live by the same rules you do!*I* get to do what *I* want, but *you don't,* because you're not forgiven!!"

Forget about getting through to him.

“How You Treat Me”

#423501 Nov 29, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
1 more time: I DON'T CONDEMN ANYBODY!!!
will you please stop condemning christianity?:)
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
Condemn...
verb (used with object)
1. to express an unfavorable or adverse judgment on; indicate strong disapproval of; censure.
2. to pronounce to be guilty; sentence to punishment: to condemn a murderer to life imprisonment.
Or...a non-believer to hell...
What part of you telling those who don't believe as you do that they are going to some hell-place is NOT condemning them?
Definitely worthy of a re-post.

“IMAGINE no religion!”

Since: Feb 09

usa

#423502 Nov 29, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sorry to hear that LoveSpell
RR was a passionate person
Life will be duller without her
(T) Peace
yes she was.

thank you for this.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#423503 Nov 29, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Well now how can I trust you after this?
Oops?
Skombolis wrote:
You just blew a good thing there buddy...double entendre intended! heh.Seriously though I personally dont care.
It was never that good.
Skombolis wrote:
And I am not going to allow people to twist me speaking out against using the Bible to justify bigotry since it doesnt and bigotry is wrong into trying to paint me as a homophobe. But bottom line is ppl have a right to feel how they do about things. what they dont have a right to do is to discriminate or hate and certainly not in Gods name
Seriously, I apologize if you feel I was out of line. That is entirely possible, since my sense of humor is sometimes pretty dry.

I respect people's right to believe what they want to believe, but if I can demonstrate that their belief is completely irrational and/or harmful, I will.

That's how bigotry is exposed and eliminated.

There is no rational basis to say that homosexuality is immoral, just as there would be no rational basis to say that attraction to overweight people is immoral.

The justification for the bigotry here is the umbrella of the right to believe what you want to believe. You can believe that witches don't deserve to live. Considering the reaching definition of witchcraft contained in the Bible, this particular belief is... what? You tell me this time.

One of the reasons that I'm anti-theistic is because of the intolerance perpetuated by Christians in America. Your personal views concerning Christian belief may be in the minority, or maybe not. I don't really know. All I can tell you is, from what I've seen, the hateful hypocritical judges are much louder. How you interpret Christianity is not necessarily how it is lived by the majority in the environment. I appreciate a more progressive stance, but the key here is, that it is progressive. It's a new take on the intended message, or at least a different take than what came before. Perhaps you're getting closer to Jesus' teachings than previous generations. Whatever the case, the beliefs are always changing in order to survive. Social pressure would destroy a religion in a free country if it didn't adapt. That's exactly what we've seen with Christianity.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#423504 Nov 29, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Actually the two tie together because if evolution isnt ongoing then there is less of a distinction between that and adaptation it would seem. It is why I wanted clarity. But dont pretend u werent stating it as a fact. why I wanted to know has nothing to do with you claiming something as fact that u cant possibly know
Evolution is a fact. There's no two ways about this. We can directly measure genes now. We can take a population, measure it's genes and produce a map of its gene pool.

Are you claiming that genes and gene pools are fictional? Are they not real? Do our measurements not realize reality here?

If any of the above questions are "yes", then you're correct.

The thing you're missing is that the word "evolution" is unfortunately used for two disparate definitions: the observation of evolution and the theory of evolution.

Evolution the observation is that gene frequencies in gene pools change over time. Evolution the theory is our attempt to explain 1) why that happens and 2) the ramifications of that ongoing process.

Evolution the observation is fact. It's measurable, demonstrable both in the lab and in nature. The theory is our attempt to explain what is going on.

Gravity works the same way. We have the observation of gravity and we have our various theoretical postulations of gravity.

Now, if you want to claim that evolution the observation is not a fact, then you are telling me that genes frequencies do not alter in gene pools throughout time. That's an incredible, unimaginable statement!

“How You Treat Me”

#423506 Nov 29, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i can see that we've been born morally corrupt and that's why we need to be born-again.
can you NOT see this??? read your local paper.....
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>This is condemning someone.
You have no idea what the words 'born again' mean or you wouldn't receive such derision here.
He'll never understand it; he doesn't want to.

Location hidden

#423507 Nov 29, 2012
love_spell wrote:
<quoted text>
actually birth control has other uses. some women will be prescribed BC pills to regulate their mensutral cycle.
and some women who take the BC actually up their chances of becoming pregnant.
as for having sex, just to get pregnant.........then why continue to have sex after the child bearing years are over?
Hey LS...i know it has other uses but the main use and the result regardless would be preventing pregnancy during sex. Some religious circles feel sex should be not simply for base pleasure but should include the potential for life. While personally I dont agree and think they have misinterpreted scripture that is very situation-specific when it says 'go forth and multiply' I do think regardless they a have a right to adhere to this so long as their entire organization claims to subscribe to the same belief. what they cant do is have non-religious or other forms of religious employess who dont believe this and deny them coverage. It is a fair distinction imo

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min June VanDerMark 590,941
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min Tide with Beach 840,127
Ellen DeGeneres Sick 33 min Fred 1
Israel End is Near 1 hr Someone 113
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr lovewithin 40,546
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Baby chrome 100,094
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 1 hr razz58 2,442
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 10 hr Truths 612,220
More from around the web