Why I’m no longer a Christian

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#423370 Nov 29, 2012
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>

Whatever you need to think to get you through another of your miserable days on topix.
LOL, I am not the failed businessman who has spent over a year following me around to argue on an Internt chat-room. I think literally one single post in over a year did I write you first. other than that you just follow and follow and follow.

My brother runs his own business and made well over 6 figures last year and I know he would look at me like i was crazy if I asked him if he had the time to do what you do and play on the internet and engage in year long internet grudges. But he runs a successful business.

It is ok that you have all this free time because your business is doing terrible. Some people just aren't gifted with the know-how to run their own business. I am glad I don't have to as I earn a decent living and will be going to work in a few hours. Enjoy your soap operas and bon-bons and stalking people on Topix. Apparently you have the time!

Location hidden

#423371 Nov 29, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Good night all, I'm going to sleep. Don't evolve while I'm gone! We can't have that.
I guess that's one way to not answer!

When you wake up, my question will still be here!

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#423372 Nov 29, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
How can it be any more specific than what proof is there that these changes are not simply adaptation compared to the claim that they are really part of a larger ongoing evolution?
The actual genes change as opposed to a developmental change.
I think I am beginning to see the problem and that is you have no basis for claiming evolution is ongoing. It is absurd to think anyone else could think they could prove something like that.
hahahaha!!!

omg, that's great. Go read a textbook!

Dude, it's proved literally all the time. Here, first line from my first google scholar hit:

"The synthetic theory of evolution defines evolution as change in gene frequencies from generation to generation, within a breeding population (see Chapter 2 of the present volume). Such change results from four forces, three of which change the frequencies of"

http://books.google.co.jp/books...

Next:

"Microcephalin, a Gene Regulating Brain Size, Continues to Evolve Adaptively in Humans"

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/309/5741/17...

I could do this all day, Skom.

"Ongoing Adaptive Evolution of ASPM, a Brain Size Determinant in Homo sapiens"

http://www.eebweb.arizona.edu/faculty/nachman...

Just so you know it's not just humans:

"Ongoing evolution of the potato on the altiplano of western Bolivia"

http://www.springerlink.com/content/g30813g25...
Of course you can't know if evolution, something that takes millions of years per change and something you can't follow sequentially, is ongoing. There is no possible way that I have seen yet you can know that we haven't stopped evolving, if that is what even happened.
What do you base your position on that evolution is ongoing? How can you know that? How can know some things don't undergo 1 change or a dozen changes and stop? You are making up your own facts and then calling other people uninformed. While it is true i don't know a lot about this, I know when I am not getting an answer
Mutation is ongoing. Environmental change is ongoing.

What does that mean, Skom? It means that gene frequencies in gene pools will change over time.

There are no other alternatives. None. The only way evolution would stop is if every single reproducing adult had an identical number of children, who had equal access to resources, who all produced an identical number of children, each of which was a clone of the parent. That or extinction.

Repeat after me:

evolution is allelic frequency change in gene pools, over time.

("allele" is a technical word for "gene")

I'm sorry. I cannot make this simpler for you. If you cannot understand, you never will.

Some stable somewhere

#423373 Nov 29, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess that's one way to not answer!
When you wake up, my question will still be here!
I've tried to answer your questions, Skom, but you really don't like the answers.

Mutation = ongoing therefore evolution = ongoing

Some stable somewhere

#423374 Nov 29, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Well you've definitely clarified that your religion is anti-gay.
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
It is also anti-hate and anti-prejudice and anti-bigotry.
And anybody that blames the Bible is anti-smart
I am being anti-serious by using the word anti-smart. I am just trying to find whatever clueless wavelength you are on hoping something gets thru to you.
Keyword above "also."

Your religion lays the foundation of being anti-gay. Believers take it from there. Yes, we can blame the Bible if what you said is correct, and not what G_O_D said. I believe him over you though because his knowledge of the Bible has been demonstrated over and over and you seem to have great difficulties understanding rather simple arguments.

And then you get all angry, lose your cool and insult to no end. Well, I give it right back to you.

Location hidden

#423375 Nov 29, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I've tried to answer your questions, Skom, but you really don't like the answers.
Mutation = ongoing therefore evolution = ongoing
I know that is what you believe. You haven't shown any basis for it

Some stable somewhere

#423376 Nov 29, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you insane? My very first post listed it as a sin of the flesh and I told you the problem is when someone tries to claim it is any worse than their own sins
<quoted text>
Are you serious? You are incapable of loving someone if anything they do you think is wrong? I am sorry you are that narrow-minded and hypocritical. Jesus would have told you otherwise
You are the one telling gays "you are wrong. Fundamentally wrong" not me. Your mental gymnastics to make yourself feel not-bigoted doesn't change that you are slighting them from the first.

I am quite capable of loving people who sometimes make mistakes. That's totally different - you are labeling someone entirely wrong and then telling them "that's ok, because I forgive you for being you, a wrong thing."

Don't you realize you sound like someone pulling over their minority friend and saying "you're not like the other ones. You're better, despite your inborn sin."

It's quite disgusting and I hope you move beyond it. I hope you wake up one day and understand how your position demeans humanity. For we are not created sick and depraved - gays are not innately sinful - that is your religion's mechanism of manipulation. It creates social hierarchies of imagined morality that hurt people. Your religion produces and reproduces structural violence.

You can do better, Skom. I really hope you can do better.

Location hidden

#423377 Nov 29, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
The actual genes change as opposed to a developmental change.
<quoted text>
hahahaha!!!
omg, that's great. Go read a textbook!
Dude, it's proved literally all the time. Here, first line from my first google scholar hit:
"The synthetic theory of evolution defines evolution as change in gene frequencies from generation to generation, within a breeding population (see Chapter 2 of the present volume). Such change results from four forces, three of which change the frequencies of"
http://books.google.co.jp/books...
Next:
"Microcephalin, a Gene Regulating Brain Size, Continues to Evolve Adaptively in Humans"
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/309/5741/17...
I could do this all day, Skom.
"Ongoing Adaptive Evolution of ASPM, a Brain Size Determinant in Homo sapiens"
http://www.eebweb.arizona.edu/faculty/nachman...
Just so you know it's not just humans:
"Ongoing evolution of the potato on the altiplano of western Bolivia"
http://www.springerlink.com/content/g30813g25...
<quoted text>
Mutation is ongoing. Environmental change is ongoing.
What does that mean, Skom? It means that gene frequencies in gene pools will change over time.
There are no other alternatives. None. The only way evolution would stop is if every single reproducing adult had an identical number of children, who had equal access to resources, who all produced an identical number of children, each of which was a clone of the parent. That or extinction.
Repeat after me:
evolution is allelic frequency change in gene pools, over time.
("allele" is a technical word for "gene")
I'm sorry. I cannot make this simpler for you. If you cannot understand, you never will.
You are claiming these are proven facts?

Aren't you the one that said science doesn't prove facts?

But suddenly when you want to say evolution is ongoing it is?

Don't link books to me I can't read online. I am sure you didn't come up with your belief because of those books either.

Just explain it in simple laymen terms. How can you know evolution doesn't stop at some point?

There is no way you can know that. That is a fact.

Location hidden

#423378 Nov 29, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Keyword above "also."
Your religion lays the foundation of being anti-gay. Believers take it from there. Yes, we can blame the Bible if what you said is correct, and not what G_O_D said. I believe him over you though because his knowledge of the Bible has been demonstrated over and over and you seem to have great difficulties understanding rather simple arguments.
And then you get all angry, lose your cool and insult to no end. Well, I give it right back to you.
I feel sorry for you that you think someone can't feel what someone does is wrong without hating that person or hypocritically judging them.

Some stable somewhere

#423379 Nov 29, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Above, three scientific research papers that demonstrate what I'm talking about. Just 'cause you skipped it doesn't mean I didn't post it.

Here's some more:

Ongoing Evolution of Strand Composition in Bacterial Genomes

http://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/content/18/9/17...

Comparative Genomics of BCG Vaccines by Whole-Genome DNA Microarray

"...this is evidence for the ongoing evolution of BCG strains since their original derivation."

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/284/5419/15...

"Evolution on ecological time-scales"

"Ecologically significant evolutionary change, occurring over tens of generations or fewer, is now widely documented in nature."

http://redpath-staff.mcgill.ca/hendry/Carroll...

Biological and biomedical implications of the co-evolution of pathogens and their hosts

http://lac-repo-live7.is.ed.ac.uk/handle/1842...

Localizing Recent Adaptive Evolution in the Human Genome

http://www.plosgenetics.org/article/info%3Ado...

"We identify 101 regions of the human genome with very strong evidence (p < 10&#8722;5) of a recent selective sweep and where our estimate of the position of the selective sweep falls within 100 kb of a known gene. Within these regions, genes of biological interest include genes in pigmentation pathways, components of the dystrophin protein complex, clusters of olfactory receptors, genes involved in nervous system development and function, immune system genes, and heat shock genes. We also observe consistent evidence of selective sweeps in centromeric regions. In general, we find that recent adaptation is strikingly pervasive in the human genome, with as much as 10% of the genome affected by linkage to a selective sweep."

So...whatever dude. You can continue to pretend evolution isn't ongoing. I can show you more evidence - there are hundreds of thousands of these research papers.

But why should I bother if you're going to be willfully ignorant?

Location hidden

#423380 Nov 29, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one telling gays "you are wrong. Fundamentally wrong" not me. Your mental gymnastics to make yourself feel not-bigoted doesn't change that you are slighting them from the first.
I am quite capable of loving people who sometimes make mistakes. That's totally different - you are labeling someone entirely wrong and then telling them "that's ok, because I forgive you for being you, a wrong thing."
Don't you realize you sound like someone pulling over their minority friend and saying "you're not like the other ones. You're better, despite your inborn sin."
It's quite disgusting and I hope you move beyond it. I hope you wake up one day and understand how your position demeans humanity. For we are not created sick and depraved - gays are not innately sinful - that is your religion's mechanism of manipulation. It creates social hierarchies of imagined morality that hurt people. Your religion produces and reproduces structural violence.
You can do better, Skom. I really hope you can do better.
You are changing the subject. The conversation was is it the Bible's fault if someone doesn't follow it properly and uses it for justification to hate when it gives them no such authority. The answer is NO.

Of course someone who is gay would be offended by the beliefs that to be so is wrong. But Christians have no right to be in anyone's face about their sins anyway unless they are prepared for the same for their own sins, which they aren't

And people don't need your permission to think homosexuality is wrong nor does that belief make them immoral. Personally I don't care either way and have my own stuff to worry about. But so long as they treat all people with love and kindness people have aright to think however they want. You don't get to dictate universal morality to people.

But again, is there any biblical justification for hate and bigotry? The answer is NO. So you can't blame it. That is common sense

Some stable somewhere

#423381 Nov 29, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
You are claiming these are proven facts?
Aren't you the one that said science doesn't prove facts?
But suddenly when you want to say evolution is ongoing it is?
Don't link books to me I can't read online. I am sure you didn't come up with your belief because of those books either.
Just explain it in simple laymen terms. How can you know evolution doesn't stop at some point?
There is no way you can know that. That is a fact.
Wow, I give you research articles and you come back with goal post moving and arguing over definitions?

1. mutation is ongoing. It never stops.
2. evolution is "allelic frequency change in gene pools, over time"
3. that makes evolution ongoing

Skom, evolution stops when extinction happens.

If you can't understand what I've written - it's in laymen's terms, as I've done over and over for you - you're either too stupid or willfully stupid.

Not my problem.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423382 Nov 29, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
1 more time: I DON'T CONDEMN ANYBODY!!!
will you please stop condemning christianity?:)
You condemn people every time you say homosexuality is a sin. You condemn people every time you tell them they have to 'get right with God'. You condemn people every time you tell them they are sinners. So don't go there.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423383 Nov 29, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i can see that we've been born morally corrupt and that's why we need to be born-again.
can you NOT see this??? read your local paper.....
This is condemning someone.

You have no idea what the words 'born again' mean or you wouldn't receive such derision here.
beijair

Charlotte, NC

#423384 Nov 29, 2012
Evolution failed on Mars. And Venus. Well... everywhere else... so far...

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#423385 Nov 29, 2012
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
Annie - the entire premise of your letter is that because i confess God & defend my faith, i'm not allowed to have a personality or freedoms to talk about anything else like you and others can. i REJECT that!
YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!!!
This is your standard answer when people show you how you are not following the teachings you claim to follow.

You have a severe problem where women are concerned. I would suggest that in part your religion is to blame for that and in part it is due to something that happened to you as a child.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#423386 Nov 29, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop lying, you just ignored it all, all of it. From virus mutations to human mutations. You fear reality, why do you fear it?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#423387 Nov 29, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
You are changing the subject. The conversation was is it the Bible's fault if someone doesn't follow it properly and uses it for justification to hate when it gives them no such authority. The answer is NO.
You're right, it's the fault of the con artists who wrote it.

Location hidden

#423388 Nov 29, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop lying, you just ignored it all, all of it. From virus mutations to human mutations. You fear reality, why do you fear it?
Hey random lunatic .How nice of you to jump in but I am afraid everything you said is wrong. I dont fear reality and have no set position against evolution. I just know there is no way anyone can know evolution, something that takes millions of years that we cant even tgrace tlo its source, is ongoing. there is no way anybody could know that, even if humans are the result of evolution, that it isnt in its final stage or if not that it will continue indefi8nitely. nobody could possibly know that

Location hidden

#423389 Nov 29, 2012
Hiding....so science now does prove facts? and you are claiming those examples prove that evolution in general in all species never stops? I just want to be clear that is what you are saying

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 7 min here 37,100
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 13 min DENG 38,284
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 33 min trifecta1 969,764
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 41 min Steve III 640,979
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 45 min good advice 44,251
NASA's MORONIC "theory" on the origions of life... 57 min Doctor REALITY 1
Mexicunn men in America r punk zza beechizz!! 1 hr Doctor REALITY 13
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr good advice 618,265
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr WasteWater 280,834
More from around the web