Simian Crease

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Skombolis wrote:
Can't remember the last time I was here, someone just linked a post. Hey Hip!
The following is simply to provide some background. I have heard a lot of people claim to know what the foundering fathers believed and intended for this country and what they felt it was founded on. I think the following will clear that up:
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
John Adams
"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here."
~Patrick Henry
3. "Man will ultimately be governed by God or by tyrants."
~Benjamin Franklin
4. "We have forgotten God. We have forgotten the gracious hand which preserved us in peace and multiplied and enriched and strengthened us, and we have vainly imagined, in the deceitfulness of our hearts, that all these blessings were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own. Intoxicated with unbroken success, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us."
~Abraham Lincoln's 1863 Thanksgiving Proclamation
http://www.cancertutor.com/Quotes/Quotes_Pres...
3. Well, you do have me so far. Barton is not responsible for any of these, but he was responsible for so many it is easy to be swayed. Context here is Franklin on religion. Like the zeitgeist, Franklin felt religion was necessary to make men behave, after all, he was raised a Puritan. Of course, he did try to get a daily prayer put in the Constitution, but, guess what, he failed.

4. What does Lincoln's Thanksgiving address have to do with what the Founders wished.

So, the score? Yep, you're right, Barton was no responsible for those, but, Bzzzzzzzzz, fail, your quote mining nonsense backfired precipitously. The United States was not founded on Christinaity or any other religion. We the people. Not lords, not gods, not masters. Stop trying to rewrite history. Doesn't your imaginary friend hate liars?

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
what if i DO have issues and need your compassion??? do 'unbelievers' believe in killing the wounded?:(
Why don't your 'brothers and sisters in Christ' have compassion for you? Are you looking outside your belief system for something you claim they have and have in abundance?

Don't pull the poor pitiful me act. You do what you do here knowing exactly what you're doing. For that, you deserve no compassion. All you deserve is honesty, which you get.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

Cliff09 wrote:
<quoted text>
You were a believer: NOT A CHRISTIAN. A christian is a repented and baptized person, the
same is HOLY. Once there, I have no proof that one can revert.
Judas betrayed Jesus before he was baptized: not after! That would not be possible, for he
would be Holy.
You lived an illusion and you've got out of it: AMEN.
I wish you all the best as an Atheist.
----------
- The Gospel is not the way you like to see it: it is the way it is.
- Jesus taught those who follow him only to Preach what he taught them - for they can never Teach you.
Calling The Unbeliever, Confronting The Lukewarm, Exposing The Hypocrite
Do Not Follow Men, Nor Churches! Come to Christ, says God!
http://www.theholychristianchurch.com/christi...
http://www.theholychristianchurch.com/baptism...
- Murder: the unauthorized (by God) killing of a creature
- Killing: the authorized (by God) putting to death of a creature
- Judging: In Christianity, the prohibited 'judging' is to execute a penalty upon another as retribution for their sins.
- CO1 5: 12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
wow - you're hot!:)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Huh wrote:
<quoted text>The only friend you have, Leisure Suit Larry, s your right hand. Have fun spanking Scooter again tonight.
:-(

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Mary Palm wrote:
<quoted text>If you let that idiot John Coffey get to you, you've lost it.
Yep. John (Red Apples) is one of the best manipulators on Topix. It thrills him into a religigasm every time he gets to someone who opposes him in any way.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
If this is your point, then I will go back to the original question I asked - relating to GoThomas and its validation through men and not "God".
Where does "God" say that GoThomas is "heresy" - or for that matter, any non-canonical text?
At this point, you've given this credit only to the Council of Laodicea (4th C.), and that they are not discriptive narratives (I disagree with many texts that you object to), and the time you think the texts were initially written.
Where does "God" say this?
Don't sit on the doorstep in the rain waiting for a straightforward answer. You will get none from Resurrectionist.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

Huh wrote:
<quoted text>That's a wonderful story, but several Jewish scholars doubt the character Paul was real. In Jewish writings of the first two centuries CE there is no mention of a rebellious student of Gamaliel named Paul or Saul. It is also very remarkable that the supposed student of Gamaliel, who certainly would have received instruction from him in the original Hebrew text of the Old Testament, cites passages from the Old Testament exclusively from the Greek version—as if in his life he had never learned Hebrew. Many of the letters attributed to the Paul character have been proven forgeries. Given the Christian history of utter fabrication, well, there you go. Enjoy your fantasy.
"several Jewish scholars doubt..."

these are no doubt the one's whom you'll believe!

when you're ready to change your fantasy for reality, you'll know where to find me (well, we can keep a lil fantasy, if ya know what i mean;)

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
If Christians want credit for this country and want to pretend that it was founded just for them...maybe we should just let them think what they want...
Think maybe they should read this first...find out how those "first pilgrims" made it theirs.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeo...
If you read this article make sure to read both pages...IMO it shows the lengths that one will go to for the "right to their religious freedom" as long as that religion is the one that they subscribe to.
Yes...I am being "snarky"!
On the other hand...on the other side of the fence..."respect" is only given if you don't believe in NOTHING!
Okay...I will try to get over being "snarky"!
This is the history of Christians everywhere they have set foot. This is what they would like to do now, but are taking a different tactic to get in power before they make it legal to kill again. I think they have more opposition than they know, for many Christians see the light of truth on this issue and do not want a theocracy. They know how evil Christianity has been when it rules and want no part of it.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> I guess I can take that off your hands. I'll put it right beside the nail collection. You know...sharp, pointy objects together.
Most of my stuff IS either sharp and pointy, or goes "boom"...

Hehehe.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

Mary Palm wrote:
<quoted text>Look at these "progressive evangelicals". Isn't gluttony a sin? Looks like they never progress past the buffet, Earl.
http://lifejourneychurch.cc/pastoraltraining/...
You know, if you let the other Christians in here know you embrace the gay, you are done for.
somebody's obsessed w/me again i see!;)

i don't condone, gluttony, alcoholism, homosexuality or any anti-social & destructive bahavior.

he dumb dumbs, let's have a 'covetious and greedy' pride parade in your city and teach our children at the elementary level that being extremely selfish is a valid alternative lifestyle!:)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

Mary Palm wrote:
<quoted text>Lack of...
speaking of "socks", may i ask who this 'normally' is?

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Mary Palm wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me return to your first post now and illustrate.
No matter how much information you give him, he will continue to believe the lies because he needs to. Period.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
wow - you're hot!:)
You do understand that last verse that your "little hottie" posted don't you? How about that you address that part of his/her post?

1 Corinthians 5:12-13

New International Version (NIV)

12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside.“Expel the wicked person from among you.

I think that I remember one day you telling us that how all the other Christians on WINLAC weren't your concerns...yet the above scripture says differently.

It also says that the judgment of those outside the church are not to be your concern.

That's two strikes against you Wasup on following God's word. Two verses...two strikes...

How many verses are in that Bible...I would be leery of those lightning bolts!

Oh wait...sounds to me like you are coveting this poster...one more strike.

Then there is the impure thoughts...

Cheating on your wife...even if it is just in spirit...

Ooooh...in one post...6 strikes...probably more but I don't want to use all your strikes up with one post.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

Mary Palm wrote:
<quoted text>Well, you could have actually Googled any of your original quotes if you weren't so turgid from some revelation that the US was founded on Christianity. Of course, since our laws do not reflect that in any manner, your David Barton desperately tries to influence the easily deluded. You've been hoodwinked and hornswoggled by your ego-driven confirmation bias and that is so sordid and sad.
A little on Barton.
http://crooksandliars.com/leah-nelson/david-b...
http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighb...
http://www.politicususa.com/jon-stewart-disse...
Let me return to your first post now and illustrate.
When Christians turn on one of their own and declare him inadequate in all areas, you know you're getting somewhere.

Here is a quote from that first article:

'Fortunately, there are intelligent evangelicals out there who are embarrassed and frustrated by Barton’s prominence. In the wake of the release of his book The Jefferson Lies, a bestseller that that recasts the deist, slave-owning Founding Father as an ultra-Christian champion of civil rights, professors at Christian colleges have amplified their efforts to diminish Barton’s influence

One of these is Warren Thockmorton, who told “All Things Considered,”

“Mr. Barton is presenting a Jefferson that modern-day evangelicals could love and identify with.… The problem with that is, it's not a whole Jefferson; it's not getting him right.”

Throckmorton co-authored Getting Jefferson Right, a book detailing what he says are Barton's distortions. As to Jefferson's faith, Throckmorton says there is no dispute among historians: Jefferson questioned the most basic tenets of Christianity.

“He didn't see Jesus as God,” Throckmorton says. He didn't believe that Jesus performed miracles, he dismissed the Trinity. Throckmorton notes that when Jefferson decided to write his own version of the Gospels, now called the Jefferson Bible,“he said he was taking ‘diamonds as if from a dunghill.’ So he picked out the Sermon on the Mount and the golden rule — those were the ‘diamonds.’ But the ‘dunghill’ was the virgin birth, the resurrection of Christ, the Great Commission.”'

Still, there are those who are so ignorant as to use him as a source.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>I wonder if he's aware some of those quotes came from Barton. There are so many websites out there that compile and regurgitate content from other sites, he may well have gotten them from one of those. I c&ped one of them into a search, and came up with, among other sites, one that seems to have something to do with cancer survivors? I know, strange. That's the insidious thing about misinformation and the web - lies live a thousand lives.
True. But one should always go to a site that is credible for quotes. There are many time tested ones. So I don't give much leeway on that. But he could have been overwhelmed with religious gusto.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Most of my stuff IS either sharp and pointy, or goes "boom"...
Hehehe.
LOL I read WN's post that you are responding to...more than once...kept thinking...TMI. Then I decided that I was misreading (after all I was told I couldn't read).

Now after reading your post...I will never look at sharp pointy item the same...especially if they go "BOOM"!

:-(

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> No matter how much information you give him, he will continue to believe the lies because he needs to. Period.
They forget why their ancestors came here in the first place...getting away from the very thing that many of them want know...

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Most of my stuff IS either sharp and pointy, or goes "boom"...
Hehehe.
One of the reasons you are so well received by all.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
somebody's obsessed w/me again i see!;)
i don't condone, gluttony, alcoholism, homosexuality or any anti-social & destructive bahavior.
he dumb dumbs, let's have a 'covetious and greedy' pride parade in your city and teach our children at the elementary level that being extremely selfish is a valid alternative lifestyle!:)
You said you are bisexual. How does having sex with both males and females not make you homosexual when you're with a man?

“What do I know?”

Since: Apr 08

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

lightbeamrider wrote:
...Atheim is faith base. You just don't call it that nor do you require have to provide any justification because a negative cannot be proven is the classic justification. Is atheism true? Does it conform to all of reality? And i note. Your atheism is not validated by attacking Theism and never will be. Nor are your false assumptions and mischaracterizations....
Wow.

What a preposterous wad of twaddle. Even if you clean up the grammar and punctuation.

Are you the accomplished historian and researcher, again? I'm getting my Topix Christians mixed up.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 399,301 - 399,320 of440,845
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

575 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Why do white men marry Chinese women? (Jul '08) 6 min chinese lady 778
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min Catcher1 680,413
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 8 min Sheilaa 109,649
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min Anthony MN 512,212
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 10 min RiversideRedneck 217,089
5000th post wins game (Apr '13) 17 min andet1987 1,386
Bravely Default Friend Code Exchange 17 min Demonselk 3
Girls snapchat names?(dirty) 2 hr ryanm654321 258
•••
•••
•••