Comments
398,901 - 398,920 of 441,189 Comments Last updated 7 hrs ago

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#422425 Nov 25, 2012
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate to tell you what a failure your little story is.
You are trying to compare a 20th Century event with that of an ancient event. The written records of that time would be near nothing. The eye witnesses, if you could find them would be scarce.
Total failure....
Failure? Not so fast there Chicago Tribune!("Dewey Defeats Truman!" look that up here: http://www.deweydefeatstruman.com/ )

The written "records" you say? Are you referring to the official records of the 12th Precinct of the Roman garrison in Jerusalem or the Temple Guard over in the 11th Ward?(LOL @ you)

FYI, the 4 gospels are ancient attempts at biographies. They aren't modern biographies, and they are primitive by our own standards, but they do attempt to record what Jesus said and did. Now you need to understand that the culture of that time didn't really place much emphasis on Jesus' life as a young child. It wouldn't have mattered in the context of what He accomplished in adulthood.

Now, as it relates to my example, the Gospel of Luke is actually a letter and starts with a prologue that is intended to assure a wealthy Roman citizen (Theophilus) that what has been passed down by oral tradition is correct. This prologue points to the exact same historical method that I described in my JFK scenario. The same process was used then, and is still in use today. Here is the opening passage in Luke that illustrates this:

" (1)Many people have set out to write accounts about the events that have been fulfilled among us.(2) They used the eyewitness reports circulating among us from the early disciples.(3) Having carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I also have decided to write a careful account for you, most honorable Theophilus,(4) so you can be certain of the truth of everything you were taught." -Luke 1:1-4

This statement is written to show historical integrity, and if written even with 50 years of the time of Jesus' would still be accurate.

Your comparison of 1st century reporting and 20th century reporting is historical ethnocentrism, because we cannot transpose our methods upon that culture at that time in history. Their culture was different, and to accurately understand them, we have to adapt to their style when interpreting both the text and the purpose of their writing.

Would you compare a 1922 Model T Ford to a 2012 Ford Fusion if you were interested in how the Ford Model T was designed? No. You would stick with the story of the Model T. Now if you were talking about the engineering history of the Ford Motor Company, then you could show the changes in design and manufacturing, and how Ford became more efficient through time. But you still wouldn't compare the Fusion to the Model T, because the Model T was the latest technology available from 1908 to about 1926-27.

Cultural ethnocentrism might be valid when comparing something like modern political views with opposing modern political views,(or religions) but not with regard to history.

I'm sorry if I've made too much sense for you folks to handle today.

I'll take a break and let your minds relax. I can smell the smoke from here.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#422426 Nov 25, 2012
Mary Palm wrote:
<quoted text>When did that happen? Your analogy fails for two reasons. It is not a direct comparative and is not always the case. Add one cup of vinegar to one cup of baking soda. Your yield will be less than two cups.
In base 1, 1 + 1 = 11. In base 2, 1 + 1 = 10. In base 10, 1 + 1 = 2.
As Kitten so eloquently stated, math deals with proof, not evidence, here's a proof that 1 + 1 = 1:
Let a = 1 and b = 1.
Therefore a = b, by substitution.
If two numbers are equal, then their squares are equal, too:
a^2 = b^2.
Now subtract b^2 from both sides (if an equation is true, then if you subtract the same thing from both sides, the result is also a true equation) so
a^2 - b^2 = 0.
Now the lefthand side of the equation is a form known as "the difference of two squares" and can be factored into (a-b)*(a+b). If you don't believe me, then try multiplying it out carefully,
and you will see that it's correct. So:
(a-b)*(a+b)= 0.
Now if you have an equation, you can divide both sides by the same thing, right? Let's divide by (a-b), so we get:
(a-b)*(a+b)/(a-b)= 0/(a-b).
On the lefthand side, the (a-b)/(a-b) simplifies to 1, right? and the righthand side simplifies to 0, right? So we get:
1*(a+b)= 0,
and since 1* anything = that same anything, then we have:
(a+b)= 0.
But a = 1 and b = 1, so:
1 + 1 = 0, or 2 = 0.
Now let's divide both sides by 2, and we get:
1 = 0.
Then we add 1 to both sides, and we get:
1 + 1 = 1.
Of course, there is a flaw in that, but I be you can't find it.
Okay, enough of that educated stuff. His head has spun right off his shoulders.

“Hello Darlings!”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#422427 Nov 25, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
. I'll be laughing as I get to watch you punished, you gutless cowardly anonymous bigot.
Just home from church, are you? I can imagine what the sermon was about.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#422428 Nov 25, 2012
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a Ferret, Mijo, in the 70's. He was quite the charactor and a great friend. I miss him.
I love ferrets. Only three left and they are getting old now.

Ex has them now. I am now owned by a cat.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#422429 Nov 25, 2012
Mary Palm wrote:
<quoted text>Does this mean that you don't want me to post my honorary park ranger certificate I got at Mt. Rushmore?
If you're dumb enough to post personal information on Topix, have at it. I could care less.

I think there are some intelligent people here who do dumb stuff, and this is one of them.

To play the one-up game on Topix is even more absurd. What seems to be forgotten is this:

No matter whether it is a person across the desk from you at work, a person you meet on the street, or someone you meet on Topix, everyone knows something you don't know.

Of course, there are people who think they know everything and prove they know very little. This would be the case of almost every fundie who has darkened the doors of this hallowed hall.

As my Dad always said,'If you already know everything you can't learn anything.'. He was a smart man.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#422430 Nov 25, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
You do not seem to read well. I DO NOT BELIEVE, I have no respect for those who do!
I do not believe in evolution --- I accept the theory, as proven; and I fully expect that there will be more evidence in the future and "a better understanding and explanation" will develop. This is NOT a Belief!, it is an understanding of evidence.
The big bang is a religious explanation of the beginnings of the universe, and while it seems probable that there was an event at T>0, I find the BB a weak explanation. Hawking has proposed a deeper hypothesis (M theory), I find this explanation appealing on two or three levels, I do not believe it and I do not accept it, I do however adopt it provisionally as the best hypothesis to date. This is not a belief either, it is a provisional hypothesis.
I'm sorry to hear that you don't respect me for thinking that there is probably something smarter than I am in the universe.

I respect all people who earn respect, Karl. Most of the believers on Topix are not among those I respect, simply because they have not earned anything in that department. But I don't disrespect people who simply believe and leave me alone to my own beliefs. Believe it or not, there are people in the world who do that. My sons and their wives are prime examples of that. However, I'm the one who told them to search for their own answers when they were growing up. I took them to church, but did not force them to become members (which they didn't) and they chose their own faiths when they grew up. Each one chose something different, but all respect the others' choices.

Maybe it's because they were not forced into religion and maybe it's because they were taught manners and tolerance. I don't know.

“What do I know?”

Since: Apr 08

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#422431 Nov 25, 2012
Mary Palm wrote:
<quoted text>When did that happen? Your analogy fails for two reasons. It is not a direct comparative and is not always the case. Add one cup of vinegar to one cup of baking soda. Your yield will be less than two cups.
In base 1, 1 + 1 = 11. In base 2, 1 + 1 = 10. In base 10, 1 + 1 = 2.
As Kitten so eloquently stated, math deals with proof, not evidence, here's a proof that 1 + 1 = 1:
Let a = 1 and b = 1.
Therefore a = b, by substitution.
If two numbers are equal, then their squares are equal, too:
a^2 = b^2.
Now subtract b^2 from both sides (if an equation is true, then if you subtract the same thing from both sides, the result is also a true equation) so
a^2 - b^2 = 0.
Now the lefthand side of the equation is a form known as "the difference of two squares" and can be factored into (a-b)*(a+b). If you don't believe me, then try multiplying it out carefully,
and you will see that it's correct. So:
(a-b)*(a+b)= 0.
Now if you have an equation, you can divide both sides by the same thing, right? Let's divide by (a-b), so we get:
(a-b)*(a+b)/(a-b)= 0/(a-b).
On the lefthand side, the (a-b)/(a-b) simplifies to 1, right? and the righthand side simplifies to 0, right? So we get:
1*(a+b)= 0,
and since 1* anything = that same anything, then we have:
(a+b)= 0.
But a = 1 and b = 1, so:
1 + 1 = 0, or 2 = 0.
Now let's divide both sides by 2, and we get:
1 = 0.
Then we add 1 to both sides, and we get:
1 + 1 = 1.
Of course, there is a flaw in that, but I be you can't find it.
Twelfth paragraph down. Division by zero. It's an undefined operation, makes everything that comes after it meaningless.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#422432 Nov 25, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. Note the differing accounts of the Iraq war. Does that mean that the war didn't occur ? No. Just several different accounts that may or may not have some truth to them.
In a way, I agree with your statement.

When talking about 1 person dying in such a profound way as Jesus was supposed to have died, and having no records whatsoever from the time that it happened, would be like having no records of the Iraq war and *then* telling about it.

We are speaking not only of eye-witnesses, but of timing.

I do not write as eloquently as some here, so my points may not be as definitive.

If you have a crime where one person shoots another and there are four witnesses (as the gospels represent 4 witnesses), and none of them write down anything for decades or centuries then their reports are worth nothing by the time people read them. If then, on top of the time lag, you have four different accounts of people who claim to have been in the same place (across the street or in front of the cross) and those four accounts are vastly different, they are rendered null due to time and substance.

Comparing the news coverage with an event that had no coverage at all, IMO, is not quite the same thing. You may disagree.

Had the Iraq war taken place 2000 years ago, and people had not written or published anything on it for 50 to 200 years later, and all the accounts differed, would you be so quick to make this analogy? Apples to apples, oranges to oranges.

“What do I know?”

Since: Apr 08

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#422433 Nov 25, 2012
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
Yepper...
How are ya DoC??
Hope all is well.
Doing just fine, MW. Thanks for asking.

I've been offline a while. How's our episode of "Certification Challenge" doing today?

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#422434 Nov 25, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
I got tired of the accusations so posted them. Just like many professionals place them on their office walls. It proves that some organization has confered a level of authority in a particular subject.
I ran out of room on my wall.
G, I have always liked you. That doesn't mean I think you are correct in everything you do and say.

This was a matter of ego and nothing else, just as Resurrectionist's claims are also of ego and nothing else.

I don't think a single person on here really cares how much education you have or how many degrees. I think what people do care about is how you apply that knowledge. But I can't speak for everyone here. I'm just going on observation.

The fundies know they can get to you by hitting your most vulnerable spot. In your case it is your ego about your education.

Education doesn't make you smart. It makes you educated. You did something I thought was extremely NOT smart by posting personal information. You played right into their hands. They got to you and that's what they set out to do.

Everyone has a vulnerable spot. They found mine at one time and I let it get to me. Then I decided that I could do that and allow them a win, or I could just ignore it and move ahead. I chose the latter. I hope you will learn to do the same. It's not worth a stalker showing up at your house, and you gave enough information with those degrees that anyone can find out who you are. You may think that's not anything to worry about, but you would be wrong.

Crazy stalkers who spend their lives thinking about a person and finding information on them show up on people's doorsteps sooner or later.

As much as it would bother me to shoot a stalker, I would not hesitate if I thought it necessary. I don't give them any more than they can learn on the internet simply because I have an ISP address. And if you think Topix isn't the source of some of this information, again, you are not being smart.

Take care. And, take care.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#422435 Nov 25, 2012
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
But Wait!!! There's more!!! For just the S&H we'll include a second magic bible decoder ring...in fact we'll give you as many as you want!!!
Just pay the additional S&H for each ring...consider it a tithe...
Haha...
You forgot to give the legal disclaimer.

Warning: Decoder rings may differ in color and design. Each decoder ring will give you a different answer to a single question. You must play 'Eenie, meenie, miney, mo' to choose an answer until you get an answer that confirms your predetermined beliefs.'

“Selected Marksman”

Since: Aug 08

Northern Virginia

#422436 Nov 25, 2012
Resurrectionologist wrote:
<quoted text>
Failure? Not so fast there Chicago Tribune!("Dewey Defeats Truman!" look that up here: http://www.deweydefeatstruman.com/ )
The written "records" you say? Are you referring to the official records of the 12th Precinct of the Roman garrison in Jerusalem or the Temple Guard over in the 11th Ward?(LOL @ you)
FYI, the 4 gospels are ancient attempts at biographies. They aren't modern biographies, and they are primitive by our own standards, but they do attempt to record what Jesus said and did. Now you need to understand that the culture of that time didn't really place much emphasis on Jesus' life as a young child. It wouldn't have mattered in the context of what He accomplished in adulthood.
Now, as it relates to my example, the Gospel of Luke is actually a letter and starts with a prologue that is intended to assure a wealthy Roman citizen (Theophilus) that what has been passed down by oral tradition is correct. This prologue points to the exact same historical method that I described in my JFK scenario. The same process was used then, and is still in use today. Here is the opening passage in Luke that illustrates this:
" (1)Many people have set out to write accounts about the events that have been fulfilled among us.(2) They used the eyewitness reports circulating among us from the early disciples.(3) Having carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I also have decided to write a careful account for you, most honorable Theophilus,(4) so you can be certain of the truth of everything you were taught." -Luke 1:1-4
This statement is written to show historical integrity, and if written even with 50 years of the time of Jesus' would still be accurate.
Your comparison of 1st century reporting and 20th century reporting is historical ethnocentrism, because we cannot transpose our methods upon that culture at that time in history. Their culture was different, and to accurately understand them, we have to adapt to their style when interpreting both the text and the purpose of their writing.
Would you compare a 1922 Model T Ford to a 2012 Ford Fusion if you were interested in how the Ford Model T was designed? No. You would stick with the story of the Model T. Now if you were talking about the engineering history of the Ford Motor Company, then you could show the changes in design and manufacturing, and how Ford became more efficient through time. But you still wouldn't compare the Fusion to the Model T, because the Model T was the latest technology available from 1908 to about 1926-27.
Cultural ethnocentrism might be valid when comparing something like modern political views with opposing modern political views,(or religions) but not with regard to history.
No need to be sorry. Total lack of understanding and Logic is a reasonable excuse.
When JFK was assasinated there was at least the 3 major TV networks, ABC, NBC, and CBS. Not to mention the hundreds if not thousands of newspapers and radio stations that recorded the event that fateful day.
Please list the TV stations, Radio stations, news papers etc that recorded and commented on the death of your jesus.
I'll wait...

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#422437 Nov 25, 2012
<quoted text>
Can you give me an actual history/archaeology site where anything is mentioned about the subject that was being discussed is specifically mentioned?

I can't find those records online. All I can find is apologetics with no references/sites/museums/etc. for any of the commentary. I must admit that this is a new version for me and one of which I have heard nothing.

I'm open to all historical data, whether it confirms or disseminates my views. I am not open to apologetics which give no references where I can find this information in it's original form or gives the writings of other apologists only as their source. I'm sure you get my drift.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#422438 Nov 25, 2012
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes...there are sad times in our lives just as there is in a believer's life. The one thing that we have going for us (non-believers) is that we are not sitting around waiting to die or predicting dooms day every time something "sad" happens. We work our way through it and look forward to the next day and keep on going.
BTW The term non-believer is erroneous...we all believe in something...just not all of us believe as you do.
stop being a cry-baby/whiner

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#422439 Nov 25, 2012
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
It's Saturday night, and Stephie and I have movies to watch. "Dracula's Daughter" on DVD.
Yet another reason to like you!

1936, Otto Kruger, Gloria Holden...

One has a fondness for classic B-movies.

And new B-movies.

And classic hit movies.

And a very, very, very few newish hit movies.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#422440 Nov 25, 2012
<quoted text>

There's no smoke. That's because there's no fire. But we've already discussed this comparison.

You can't put out an imaginary fire. You can, however, throw in some smoke bombs to make smoke so that you can pretend to put out a fire. This is, I think, what you did with this post.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#422441 Nov 25, 2012
Mary Palm wrote:
<quoted text>Wouldn't you make a mint selling your superior secret decoder ring on an infomercial?
"For just $19.99, plus S&H, get the Tony17 magic Bible decoder ring, so you too can claim to be the only one who can "accurately comprehend" that big, old dusty Bible. But wait! There's more! If you act now, Tony will throw in a free prayer cloth replica of the Shroud of Turin! Amaze you friends. Call now! Sham operators are standing by!"
If I had a dollar for every a christian who claimed that their interpretation was right, no matter whose it differs from, I would have 2 billion dollars. GMAFB.
"But wait! If you call in the next 50 minutes, you get a SECOND Magic Bible Decoder Ring absolutely free!

Just pay separate shipping and handling*

**Shit, that wasn't supposed to be in there.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#422442 Nov 25, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
I love ferrets. Only three left and they are getting old now.
Ex has them now. I am now owned by a cat.
thats disgusting

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#422443 Nov 25, 2012
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
Just home from church, are you? I can imagine what the sermon was about.
shut yo pie hole

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#422444 Nov 25, 2012
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
No need to be sorry. Total lack of understanding and Logic is a reasonable excuse.
When JFK was assasinated there was at least the 3 major TV networks, ABC, NBC, and CBS. Not to mention the hundreds if not thousands of newspapers and radio stations that recorded the event that fateful day.
Please list the TV stations, Radio stations, news papers etc that recorded and commented on the death of your jesus.
I'll wait...
Since they didn't have any news media, I would be satisfied with writings from the time it allegedly happened instead of decades and centuries later. Provide me with something that can be dated to that period without a doubt, and I'll take another look at it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min pusherman_ 539,078
Last Word + 2 6 min Doug77 528
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 8 min Insults Are Easier 258,045
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 15 min Neelakaran 1,109
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 19 min Neelakaran 5,322
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 22 min atheism is destru... 733,160
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 27 min lil whispers 599,982
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 46 min Patrick 226,376
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••