|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Judged:

Zen Master Ein wrote:
<quoted text>You know that you are crazy. With a name like wolf witch the only thing that you have figured out is that you are mentally not functioning.
Another sock pops in with nothing to say.

“Selected Marksman”

Since: Aug 08

Northern Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Judged:

Serah wrote:
<quoted text>
Revelations 21:8--"But for the cowardly and UNBELIEVING (emphasis added, just for you) and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."
Second death WW, not the first death, which is the physical death! Why would all of the above in 21:8 end up in the same place as those who have an honorable intent? It is bad enough living with them here on earth, we surely don't need that for eternity. We each take with us that which we have earned.......
My my, what nice thoughts you have for your fellow humans who have committed no crime.
You hateful christians are odd if not completely illogical.

“Selected Marksman”

Northern Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Judged:

TJ Monk wrote:
<quoted text>
May I suggest that we make out? I am a good looking male .....if you look like your pic.....I would do you so well........
Another waaaasup sock.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Resurrectionologist wrote:
<quoted text>
Now this is a statement I can respect. Not because you agree he exists, but because you also look at the fact that while the evidence isn't 100% certain (an impossible standard in determining ancient history) you entertain that his existence is more likely than not.
Now with regard to contemporary accounts of Jesus written during His lifetime, I really do believe that it's at least plausible that one writer did record some of what Jesus said and did. Matthew, the tax collector. I do admit that it's speculation, but I don't need absolute conclusive "beyond-reasonable-doubt- Perry Mason-criminal-procedure-law " proof. I just need it to be more plausible than not. This is the way ancient history is evaluated with regard to what is available. It's realistic.
Consider the likelihood. A tax collector would be expected to keep notes in relation to his duties. Papyrus was readily available, and still is today in Egypt and other areas of the Middle East. A Jewish tax collector turned disciple would be more likely to record his experiences. Why? Because in that day and age, tax collectors were despised by nearly everybody. If it were me, I would want to write it all down because who would believe it later on if it remained just a few anecdotal stories told around a warming fire? Now I'm aware that this is a version of ethnocentrism too, but I try to avoid this as much as possible. I am speculating based upon what is known of tax collectors in Jewish society. At some point, we have to speculate because historical evidence becomes more elusive as time passes. Now you know what I think and how I reason this logically. I hope my tone here is civil enough for you.
It is 'possible' that the apostle Matthew wrote something down during the life of Jesus. However, no writings have ever been found that date to that time. So I look at it as 'possible', but not likely because the evidence is not there.

The authors of the 4 gospels are highly debated. Most scholars now agree that it is unlikely that any of the books named for the apostles were actually their writings, and with good reason. This includes Matthew. Even Dr. Craig Blomberg (author of A Case for Christ) says this:'It's important to acknowledge that strictly speaking, the gospels are anonymous.'

You say you don't take the Bible literally, yet you still believe against all the scholarship done by Bible Scholars such as Blomberg that the 4 gospels were written by the apostles themselves.

The gospel of Matthew cannot have been written by him, as it speaks of him in the third person. When these books were written, the words 'according to' meant 'in the tradition of', not 'written by'. In other words, the books are simply the understanding the writer had of the teachings and is second-hand. This is the reason that they disagree. Each person on earth sees the words and interprets them in the manner in which they are able to understand them.

Each of the apostles went off on their own, teaching as they understood. None of them match. And yes, the differences DO make a difference in core Christian doctrine or there would not be any arguments over who has the right translations/interpretations. Standing on the outside, it now seems extremely silly to see Christians argue over who has the right dogma.

Ancient history is a specialized area of study. I trust no apologist to give me correct information on Christian history simply because they start off with an answer and then fit the puzzle pieces to confirm their answer. They do not question; they only appear to question, but only ask a 'leading' question that will take you to their idea. For those apologists who do use historical facts, they mostly bend those facts to suit their preconceived answer.

It was hard for me to change my point of view and actually learn to leave the apologists to their own demise.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I remain unsurprised.
What was that word again?
Buttinsky?
Interferenceist?
Oh, "Interventionist". That was it.
Actually, I was pleasantly surprised that he came back to finish the discussion. Though I was not pleasantly surprised to find that the information I gave was thrown out immediately.

“Selected Marksman”

Northern Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Cookie_Parker wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously? You quote Revelations in judging others? Wouldn't you better serve your alleged status as a Christian by quoting Christ on tolerance, love, nonjudgment and compassion? Just saying...
The christian indoctrination of hate works well on those who are weak.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Resurrectionologist wrote:
<quoted text>

What does God gain? God gains no joy by not allowing us into Heaven. What He does gain are His creations who are willing to abide in peace and love with Him.
I just want to address this one portion of your post.

Why didn't God just make people who would live in peace to start with. It would have eliminated the need for elaborate 'cures', for sure. No murder of a whole planet full of his 'children'. No death of a God-man. No need to grovel at the feet of religion. These are questions that have been answered by many apologists, and excused away because we are God's creations and he can do whatever he wishes with us because of that.

By that analogy, it's okay for humans to commit murder of your own children if they do not obey you or live in peace with you. But Christians will say 'NO!', it's not okay. When they say that, I always tell them that they are then more moral than the God they worship.

So do you believe the flood was an actual event that killed off at least a whole sect of people or do you believe that to be allegory?
HipG2LZ2SignIn

Victoria, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Judged:

Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem like a pretty smart and trustworthy guy. So tell me--do you buy into this historicized myth? If so, why? Why should *I* buy into it?
I believe down underneath all the mythologizing there very likely existed a charismatic itinerant rabbi/shaman with a message that appealed to the common people but threatend the status quo. It's likely that he was executed for his radical views, among thousands of others over the years; IOW, no one worthy of special note to the ruling class once he was dead. I suspect that he was benignly delusional as to his role in the fulfillment of prophecy. I imagine that his anguished cry at the end offers a glimpse into his realization he might have been wrong, just before he expired. It's really tragic enough without all the dramatic enhancements.

I believe so simply because a preponderance of evidence suggests as much. It's not overwhelming by any means, just enough to cast a reasonable doubt either way. Nothing worth digging my heels in, anyway.

Now, the miraculous signs and stuff? That's a whole 'nother story.....

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Judged:

I am not here to judge nor hate on your choice. I would like to remind you that there is a God, a God that never gives up on you and it will never be too late to come back to him.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Judged:

Zen Master Ein wrote:
<quoted text>You know that you are crazy. With a name like wolf witch the only thing that you have figured out is that you are mentally not functioning.
Wassuuuppp sock.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Judged:

TJ Monk wrote:
<quoted text>
May I suggest that we make out? I am a good looking male .....if you look like your pic.....I would do you so well........
This is TJ Monk proving over and over that he is waassuuupp.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

sweetrevenge84 wrote:
I am not here to judge nor hate on your choice. I would like to remind you that there is a God, a God that never gives up on you and it will never be too late to come back to him.
What you don't even seem to realize is that this statement IS a judgment.

I guess it's time for another round of dirty socks. Certainly seems so.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

no it is not a true christian knows better than to judge. all i want you to know is that IF you ever feel you want to rededicate your life to the Lord it will never be to late

“What do I know?”

Since: Apr 08

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

sweetrevenge84 wrote:
Thanks for your concern. As I have said before, I'm just one burning bush/talking donkey/reanimated corpse away from "confirmed believer" status.

Until I see that happen, though, I think it's all just man-made nonsense.

(And that goes for Zeus, Santa Claus, Paul Bunyan and Tinker Bell too.)

“What do I know?”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

sweetrevenge84 wrote:
no it is not a true christian knows better than to judge. all i want you to know is that IF you ever feel you want to rededicate your life to the Lord it will never be to late
And if there is in fact an all-knowing, all-powerful being in charge of the universe, I cannot for the life of me imagine why he would be interested in my "dedication" in the slightest.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

DearthOfCouth wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for your concern. As I have said before, I'm just one burning bush/talking donkey/reanimated corpse away from "confirmed believer" status.
Just want you to know.....

I'm stealing this.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Judged:

DearthOfCouth wrote:
<quoted text>
Until I see that happen, though, I think it's all just man-made nonsense.
(And that goes for Zeus, Santa Claus, Paul Bunyan and Tinker Bell too.)
And I give these signs that thou might also believe....

“What do I know?”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Just want you to know.....
I'm stealing this.
Consider it yours, Cupcake!

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>And I give these signs that thou might also believe....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =y_PZPpWTRTUXX
Dangit, Hip. You could have told me this years ago!

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

DearthOfCouth wrote:
<quoted text>
Consider it yours, Cupcake!
You know I get all shivery when you call me cupcake. You do that on purpose, don't you?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min June VanDerMark 538,769
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 11 min Buck Crick 732,690
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 11 min bacon hater 94,632
Appjoy invite code 11 min Im Rk9 43
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 16 min Chosen Holy Dr Sh... 599,771
Last Word + 2 20 min Hannah V 488
Red's Roadside Pub (Jun '10) 36 min Ed Teach 912
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 38 min JudgeNJury 257,831
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr Chris Clearwater 173,271
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE