Why I’m no longer a Christian

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#421910 Nov 22, 2012
Resurrectionologist wrote:
<quoted text>
I've read GoThomas, GoPeter, & GoJudas.
None of these are consistent with the canonical gospels.
We each see this differently. AT this point we have to part ways. I think I'm right, and you think you're right. We're just going to have to agree to disagree because neither of us is going to concede. Have a happy Thanksgiving.
To Thomas is *very* consistent with the teachings of Jesus in the Bible.

You see what you want to see because you've been taught to reject the gnostic gospels. And you were taught to do so for the wrong reasons. I'll be looking forward to having you answer my questions tomorrow, since you asked me to wait until tomorrow to remind you of them.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#421911 Nov 22, 2012
<quoted text>

Also, the Wailing Wall forms the base of the Temple complex, and not the inner sanctuary. The part of the temple that Jesus and the disciples were discussing were the upper buildings.
I'm just going to address this one portion of your post.

Again, I will post the scripture for you:

Mark 13:2

"Do you see all these great buildings?" replied Jesus. "Not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down."

'All these great buildings' and 'not one here will be left on another' includes the whole of the temple complex, from the ground up. ALL means just that.

You still rewrite the Bible to justify it for yourself.

If it works to make you happier, by all means, have at it.

But you can't make 'ALL these buildings' mean just the inner portion of the temple. hen it says 'not one stone of ANY of those buildings (plural) shall be left one upon another, then that means from the foundations up and all of the buildings (plural) will be destroyed.

Another rewrite. If you have to change the writings, then it can't possibly be anything divinely inspired.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#421912 Nov 22, 2012
Doctor REALITY wrote:
If you say you USED TO BE A CHRISTIAN,....you were NEVER a R-E-A-L christian to begin with! Christ the Almighty Saviour is waiting to accept you into His eternal family of the redeemed RIGHT NOW!!
I am a recovering christian

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#421913 Nov 22, 2012
<quoted text>
Thomas is not a narrative like the other gospels. Thomas is a list of sayings of Jesus, some of which are questionable. Anybody could write down a list of alleged sayings. When we look at the Canonical gospels, we see they are primitive attempts to write biographies. They aren't biographies in the modern sense mind you, but rather long passion narratives. At least that's the way I read them. That's just my take on it, and why I feel GoThomas isn't authentic enough to be included. Look at any web page that deals with quotations. Anybody can compile a list. Not anybody can write a biography without some eye witness credibility.
Anyways, it's been nice sparring with you. I'm taking a few days off.
I've found another forum that needs some correcting. Now I know how NYC firefighters feel. Put out one fire, and go put out another one.
All in a day's work.
Questionable by whom?

If it agrees with Jesus' words in the Bible, but has a more lengthy addition of Jesus' sayings than the canonized gospels, then which things can be disagreeable. Which teachings in Go Thomas do you personally find that disagree with Jesus teachings in the 4 gospels? Since you say you have read them, this shouldn't be hard.

I don't need the works of an apologist for an answer, as I am asking you what YOU personally find disagreeable.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#421914 Nov 22, 2012
DeathOnCouch wrote:
I'm so thankful I'm not a slave to Topix, my ego, other peoples approval, etc. like AnnoyJ, muc, watah_ pymp, Haitlin, Kodmykitty, JackintheCrack, O-D, Jerry and Yonijet, Kerry, Big Booger Belzebub, etc.
Yet here you were at approximately 2 p.m.... posting on Topix. Hahaha.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#421915 Nov 22, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Questionable by whom?
If it agrees with Jesus' words in the Bible, but has a more lengthy addition of Jesus' sayings than the canonized gospels, then which things can be disagreeable. Which teachings in Go Thomas do you personally find that disagree with Jesus teachings in the 4 gospels? Since you say you have read them, this shouldn't be hard.
I don't need the works of an apologist for an answer, as I am asking you what YOU personally find disagreeable.
I only know about Thomas the tank engine from Shining Time Station.

I haven't watched this yet so I don't know if it's funny or not. It's George Carlin as the conductor.

I used to watch the show on PBS. I watched damn near everything on PBS. I was such a geeky kid.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#421916 Nov 22, 2012
LIes Busters wrote:
<quoted text>Coding? HA, so what a loser, you are working on Thanksgiving. What a loser life, which is what happens when you fail to develop with your own parents, due to the bilateral destruction of your amgydala. No, they do not envy you. They may be at work, but they will get off and go home to a family. They probably see you all alone and they become thank you that they will soon go home to love.
So she's a loser for working and you're a winner for not working? Sounds like the typical fundie thinking to me.
jeremy

London, UK

#421917 Nov 22, 2012
FundieSmacker wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Couth.
I want to tell you that I have enjoyed each and every post of yours where I've seen them. I appreciated this one of yours probably more than any other, for several reasons - you've taken the time to really explain how you got where you are is one of them, and I thank you for doing so.
I was raised Catholic like Moncie, and now consider myself a "secular humanist". Several things happened to lead me this way which I probably will explain at some point on this thread. I'll come back here this weekend and post some more but thank you very much for this thread and your thoughts in general. They're always appreciated by me.
I think most decent people end up becoming secular humanist, that is opt out of the divisions caused by labeling ourselves to belong to a named God that becomes divisive instead of unifying.

“You Can't Throw MeTo TheWolves”

Since: May 10

THEY COME WHEN I CALL

#421919 Nov 22, 2012
Just Results wrote:
<quoted text>
You have nothing to be thankful for.
I'm thankful that I have no one like you in my life.

THEY COME WHEN I CALL

#421920 Nov 22, 2012
LIes Busters wrote:
<quoted text>Wasted life! No, due to you being one of the wasted chimeras who hate the mom that carried them for 9 months and also hates yourself because your dad is gay. No, you just decide to hate the three primary people that make up your life, which are your mom, your dad and you. So, you dream of some day loving something that is alive?????
What is it about this loving savior of yours that makes TJ Monk, Just Results and yourself so hateful? Is it because non-christians are more intelligent and more compassionate than you? Is it because we are better human beings than you?

THEY COME WHEN I CALL

#421921 Nov 22, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So you agree with killing non-believers, disobedient children, as well as genocide, murder, slavery, etc. You are not a moral person, you are an abomination to the species and a severe danger to the entire planet.
LIes Busters wrote:
<quoted text>So, you believe in killing gays, killing children, as well as genocide, murder, slavery, pedophilia, rape, etc. You are an immoral person, you are an abomination to apes and a severe danger to your mom.
Have you burned any "witches" lately, or just a few good books?

THEY COME WHEN I CALL

#421922 Nov 22, 2012
LIes Busters wrote:
<quoted text>So, Topix is your job. What do they pay you with, bananas and peanuts?
And spreading your hate on Topix is just a hobby for you; you do it because you enjoy it.

Praise de Load.

THEY COME WHEN I CALL

#421924 Nov 22, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, I'm online for work, mostly coding. Just a click of the mouse and I'm back to work ... when I want to. The joys of being freelance. I'm working today, though I'm about to take a break and go for a walk, I love my walks, I call the hikes, urban hiking isn't that great but it's all I got right now. I'll probably stop off at a restaurant and have some poor saps cook me a meal, I do not envy them, I use to be one of them, slaving away for ungrateful twats like you ... and me. Then I'll head home, maybe watch a movie while I write another 300 lines of code, perhaps make some more posts on here. Check my email, balance my checkbook, write more code ... typical day in the life of a coder.
LIes Busters wrote:
<quoted text>Coding? HA, so what a loser, you are working on Thanksgiving. What a loser life,
Says the assclown who spent his Thanksgiving shitting himself with hatred here on Topix.

Your parents must be *so* proud of you.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#421926 Nov 22, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> I'm just going to address this one portion of your post.
Again, I will post the scripture for you:
Mark 13:2
"Do you see all these great buildings?" replied Jesus. "Not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down."
'All these great buildings' and 'not one here will be left on another' includes the whole of the temple complex, from the ground up. ALL means just that.
You still rewrite the Bible to justify it for yourself.
If it works to make you happier, by all means, have at it.
But you can't make 'ALL these buildings' mean just the inner portion of the temple. hen it says 'not one stone of ANY of those buildings (plural) shall be left one upon another, then that means from the foundations up and all of the buildings (plural) will be destroyed.
Another rewrite. If you have to change the writings, then it can't possibly be anything divinely inspired.
Ah WN I'm not trying to re-write the Bible. I have studied the temple. I have looked at how it was laid out. King Herod conducted a remarkable feat of engineering when he decided to build a level platform that the temple was meant to sit upon. The words of Jesus were very likely confined to the buildings. And he was right. Every single building down to the last stone was cast down. The platform that the temple sat on is what now constitutes the Wailing Wall. You have to actually go to Jerusalem to obtain a truly thorough understanding of it.

Now if you still want to argue that Jesus' prophecy was not fulfilled because of this, you still have to consider the role of hyperbolic language in ancient culture. Hyperbole is a way of exaggerating for the purpose of making an important point. So even if you still refuse to acknowledge the literal accuracy of Jesus' temple prophecy, we still have to consider that He may have been using dramatic flair to illustrate just how ruthless the Romans would be. They were indeed ruthless and every building above King Herod's platform was completely destroyed.

So either way, the prophecy is still legitimate and accurate.
bmz

Since: Mar 08

Singapore

#421927 Nov 22, 2012
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a recovering christian
lol!

Please try not to recover fully, karl.

Location hidden

#421928 Nov 22, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Questionable by whom?
GoThomas is more of a list of Jesus' teachings. It's like an ancient list of His quotations. I don't disagree with the teachings of Jesus.
I disagree that GoThomas is a descriptive narrative. It isn't.

Location hidden

#421929 Nov 22, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. No Jew ever heard of it before Jesus (and probably a milion other Jews) rode into Jerusalem on a donkey...or was it a colt ? or was riding both an ass and a colt ? There are different cersions in the NT.
<face palm>
More likely it was written into the story ex post facto but if it actually occured it was probably to mock Pilate's entry into Jerusalem on a white horse.
What? Are you kidding me? Oh jeez here we go. LOL

Okay, I'll take this in sections. The prophecy of Zechariah was well known to Jews. The Jewish culture was devout, and paid great attention to detail. It was understood from Zechariah's prophecy that the Messiah would enter on a donkey.

“Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, your king coming unto you; he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon a donkey, even upon a colt, the foal of a donkey”(Zech 9:9).

Now, this wasn't done to mock Pilate. It was done to challenge the Pharisees, and to make the statement that the Messianic Kingdom was arriving peacefully, and not as a military conquering campaign. This set Jesus apart from other messianic figures. Other messianic figures would never ride in on a lowly pack animal. They would be much too concerned with their own personal image. The Pharisees saw this as a Messianic declaration. It was a deliberate provocation.

Now onto the subject of the donkey. Why were there 2? Well if we look at the passages, we read about Jesus telling His disciples that there will be a mare and a colt. Jesus wasn't about to take the younger colt from it's mother, so He had both brought to Him.

Also, some theologians think Jesus did this to illustrate His supernatural powers as a sign of His authority. The hypothesis is that Jesus told 2 disciples that they would find 2 donkeys in a particular location, and that the owners would question them. This would illustrate His authority I'm not sure on that one. It's possible.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#421930 Nov 22, 2012
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
What is it about this loving savior of yours that makes TJ Monk, Just Results and yourself so hateful? Is it because non-christians are more intelligent and more compassionate than you? Is it because we are better human beings than you?
I think they're pissy that we know what we don't believe in better than they know what they do believe in.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#421931 Nov 22, 2012
<quoted text>
Ah WN I'm not trying to re-write the Bible. I have studied the temple. I have looked at how it was laid out. King Herod conducted a remarkable feat of engineering when he decided to build a level platform that the temple was meant to sit upon. The words of Jesus were very likely confined to the buildings. And he was right. Every single building down to the last stone was cast down. The platform that the temple sat on is what now constitutes the Wailing Wall. You have to actually go to Jerusalem to obtain a truly thorough understanding of it.
Now if you still want to argue that Jesus' prophecy was not fulfilled because of this, you still have to consider the role of hyperbolic language in ancient culture. Hyperbole is a way of exaggerating for the purpose of making an important point. So even if you still refuse to acknowledge the literal accuracy of Jesus' temple prophecy, we still have to consider that He may have been using dramatic flair to illustrate just how ruthless the Romans would be. They were indeed ruthless and every building above King Herod's platform was completely destroyed.
So either way, the prophecy is still legitimate and accurate.
Ah, so the thing's hyperbole, and not literally true.

Okay, I'll bite: where does the literal stop and the imagery begin?

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#421932 Nov 22, 2012
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>They went by the criteria of men and the persecution was also of men. But God made sure copies would survive and re-surface in the 20th century where all the might of the usurper Paul's Churches could not make them go away.
Now, ain't dat da shitz?
How often do we hear Christians claim the Bible is "perfect" because God alliwed it to survive, yet we have hundreds of documents that also survived, despite the Church trying to erase them, and they call them lies.

Hoisted by their own petard, eh ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 min Buck Crick 48,223
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min kent 646,412
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 27 min HipGnosis 182,631
Would a Somali girl marry a non-Somali man in L... (Dec '13) 28 min LMH1983 96
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 31 min RiccardoFire 44,650
Moving companies provide a Shifting solution th... (Sep '15) 37 min PaykasaKartBozdurma 7
George Soros Is a Brilliant Investor 1 hr Truthiness 2
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 hr Rosa_Winkel 971,606
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 6 hr Annaleigh 105,560
More from around the web