|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh sure, there's metaphor, and allegory, and simile, and acrostic, and chiasma, and oh, all the tools of the writer's trade. But some of these are signs God performs specifically to impress the target audience. These are not presented as metaphors. And finally, was Jesus' resurrection a metaphor? Now that's just downright heretical. Stone soup for you......
<quoted text>First, what would it matter? Isn't my salvation supposed to be uppermost on his mind? I suppose I could stand some messy drawers if the alternative was eternal hellfire, couldn't you?
Besides, you're saying Almighty God can't make itself known without all the theatrics? What kind of charlatan god do you imagine? Yours used to come down to give "signs" for the most vainglorious reasons, just to show the crowd what a He-God he was. You're saying now he hides in the clouds, expects us to "love" it anyway, and if we don't, he finally reveals himself just to say go to hell.
<quoted text>By your very words previously, you "believe" in some part because you fear "punishment" if you didn't, so you can dispose of the high and mighty bafflegab. We ain't buyin' it.
<quoted text>
Even though the four official accounts of said resurrection all contradict each other. Never mind who's right and who's wrong; just go ahead and believe them all.
Because you fear the alternative.
Incidental details don't merit any charge of contradiction. Independent accounts will naturally contain variations in minor details. What matters is the core of the story. As a writer and historian, I run into this quite often. The key to resolving apparent contradictions is to look for what they have in common and then work from that point. Historical research doesn't search for inconsistencies or contradictions. In fact, if there are no apparent contradictions in incidental details, there is a greater likelihood that the accounts are fabricated. The presence of incidental details lends credibility to historical accounts. But don't take my word for it. Go ask a textual historian. They'll tell you the same thing.

“Hello Darlings!”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Resurrectionologist wrote:
<quoted text>
If I'm going to be so stupid as to endanger others in such a careless manner, then I don't deserve protection. The above post you submitted is erroneous.
love_spell wrote:
<quoted text>
she didn't say to do it in a populated area.
what there aren't any roads in your area that are "deserted" or your god can't protect those people and hide their car keys???
It just demonstrates that he doesn't have the faith that he claims to have.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL - you're theology gets more humorous by the minute...
Yours had a 1700 year head start, that is why it so hilarious.

“Hello Darlings!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

<quoted text>
There's no "r" in "Load."
TJ Monk wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a FREAKSHOW.
Eat it.
TJ Monk wrote:
<quoted text>...your personality decribes in detail who you are. Have you no shame, respect for humanity?
Of course I do; that's why I oppose you hate-filled fundies and your stolen myth.
TJ Monk wrote:
<quoted text> ... We live in a civil society, learn to respect others, regardless how different they are to you.
So how come *YOU* don't?
TJ Monk wrote:
<quoted text> Really, do you expect everyone on earth to BE THE SAME AS YOU?
*Hell* no!! That'd be boring.
TJ Monk wrote:
<quoted text> Repair yourself, don't sit in your pool of sorrows...
"Pool of sorrows?"
TJ Monk wrote:
<quoted text>move on...grow....learn from your mistakes..call your mistakes "EXPERIENCE".
Take your own advice.
TJ Monk wrote:
<quoted text> You look beautiful, be beautiful inside.
Why, thank you! You li'l sweet-talker, you... What are you up to?

To paraphrase the late, great, indomitable Mae West, "Are you just happy to see me, or is that a gun in your pocket?"

“Hello Darlings!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Even though the four official accounts of said resurrection all contradict each other. Never mind who's right and who's wrong; just go ahead and believe them all.
Because you fear the alternative.
<quoted text>
Incidental details don't merit any charge of contradiction.
Yes they do. They can make or break a case.

Yours is busted.

“Hello Darlings!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

It's late. I'd love to stay and chat, but I think I'll go splash around in my pool of sorrows with my girlfriend and a nice glass of Shiraz.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

<quoted text>
Well that's what you're not understanding. God doesn't punish us in the same way we actively punish others. He simply allows us to punish ourselves by our words and actions.
Hell isn't God's punishment on us. Hell is our punishment on us. God will just choose to not allow us in His presence if we reject Him up to the moment of our biological termination of life. Spiritual life will continue. We don't have that choice.
Either you want to understand, or you don't.
There is plenty of evidence for God. You just choose to reject it because your criteria for evidence is unreasonably high to begin with. You're trying to define what the evidence should be, rather than just accepting what evidence there is. It's the same old human trait of wanting more, more, more. Nothing is ever good enough "as is." So who's fault is that? Yours or God's?
If God really did create everything, then who are we to define what is and what isn't evidence?
That's why America is in decline. Like all great empires, America too will fall. The only question is, how many will go down with her?
Every empire that has ever risen and fallen has done so because of rejection of God at the personal and national level. It's coming. It's just a matter of when.
I am going to go to hell for my lack of belief.

and

I wonder at the god, how can he be so capricious?

why would he make it easy for an empty vessel like you to believe, and at the same time make it so difficult for the intelligent to believe?

If the god was fair, each individual would receive the same opportunity to believe and also be blessed with the identical propensity to believe. When you so easily demonstrate this to be not the case, I easily see the god is not real.

I do thank you

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

<quoted text>
I didn't require a sign. I started looking at historical evidence as well as listening to personal testimonies. I have evaluated each on it's own merit.
Now with regard to the Beatles analogy, I can understand what you're saying. God could do that, but would it serve His purpose? How many people would think it to be a hoax? Would YOU believe it if God spoke to you? How would you know it was God?

The whole point of Jesus' ministry was to usher in the kingdom of God by working through man. Man was meant to interact with fellow human beings in bringing the message and the Kingdom to fruition.
Now, I don't think you're avoiding, per se, as so many do in these discussions, but you don't seem to be grasping the totality of the message. I said that God would give the exact same message to every single person - by that we would know that, by God, something momentous just happened. You could deny it if you please, and call it a hoax, but you'd have to explain why every human on earth received the exact same message. I don't know if it would serve his purpose or not,'cos damned if anybody can agree what his purpose might be, but IF his purpose included everyone the world over knowing he was large and in-charge, that would do the trick.

OR

he could reveal himself to a dozen or so dusty nondescript tribesmen in locked rooms and along deserted roads in a backwoods Roman outpost 2000 years ago, tell them to spread the word, and then disappear.

Which method do you think is most effective at selling soap? Does he >really< want to get the message out? The way it is now he acts like he doesn't really care - the less that hear about it, the less mansions he has to build.

“Love much, trust none”

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> I was referring to the area as much as the people. The area is today called Palestine. The people who live there are Palestinians. There has never been a time when agriculture was not part of that region. The poster claimed that the Canaanites and Kenites (Jews) have never been able to grow anything since Cain was cursed. I hope this explains the correlation in regard to my post.
I absolutely agree with your point. I was simply trying to clarify the use of the term Palestine as it is used today as the Gentile areas and peoples of the West Bank, Gaza and Golan Heights.

All peoples of the Levant have been farmers for thousands of years and still are.

Note, too, that there is nothing in the Bible that explains why Cain's offering was rejected in the story and further that in the Sumerian original it is the brother with the blood offering that is rejected who kills his agrarian sibling.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
money shmoney....what is it that you believe regarding origin again???
a natural process

“Love much, trust none”

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Which pagan theology would that be? Please be specific.
He alluses that anyone who doesn't believe like he does is a pagan.

He obviously doesn't know a single one of the proper definitions of the term 'pagan'.

It is sad because he is a pagan himself. LOL

“Love much, trust none”

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> Humans did not create hell. Your God did......
I would vehemently disagree with that ! <smile>

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
can you lay out your ideology of origin?
this outta be good....;)
not an ideology fool

rational skeptics evaluate

religitards believe

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

<quoted text>
I believe Jesus' resurrection was a real literal event. I believe it is only one of a few times that God intervened in the laws of nature to bring about a result that would draw us closer to Him.
I do not fear punishment as much as I seek eternal life in a place of light, love, and joy. I fear being left out in the cold. Not the terrorizing fear of being locked out of the house mind you, but the fear of not being included in whatever adventure is next. The priority of motivations is completely different than what you are suggesting.
What you're willing to buy and not buy is of little consequence to me. I'm just telling you what I believe, according to my own understanding. I could be wrong. At this point in time, I believe the ratio of right vs. wrong in regards to this subject are more in favor of being correct. Only time will tell. I am learning more every day from some of the best theologians in the world. We're only touching the tip of the iceberg here.
you are immature.

when I was a christian:

I believed because it was the truth.
I exemplified christian morality because it was right.
I modeled charity, because I loved my fellow human
I gave thanks and honored my Lord because he was so generous.

I never once bathed myself in the filth of faith for reward.

your instructors are apostates, you are a fool;
your religion is immoral, and your god is an imaginary beast.

you are a child, do not presume to teach others until you have learned.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

<quoted text>
Yeah but if we get to go into eternal life in happiness, and you don't, then who's life was really wasted?
Do you believe that savings accounts or retirement funds are a good idea?
god gave me intelligence, curiosity, and skepticism; he is not about to punish me for employing his gifts.

you, throw gods gifts back into his face, you are an agent of the evil one, may you receive the eternal reward you earn.

“Love much, trust none”

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

love_spell wrote:
<quoted text>
my personal opinion is that mary had a cherry. she and the baby daddy did some heavy petting and one of his lil swimmers found its way in and upward and 9.5 months later BAM a baby is birthed!
My take is a bit different.
In as much as Mark, several early Christian texts and even Paul never mentin Jesus birth; I have no reason to believe that he was concieved in the normal manner.

I think it was a "marketting ploy" to convert a Graeco-Roman population that eventually became so ingrained that it was declared a "fact". Perhaps my biggest problem with Islam and the Qu'ran is that it incorporates much of the Christian myth, again probably as a "marletting ploy" of its own.

The more I research the Abrahamic religions, the less likely I am to take a single interpretation ot text as "The Word of God".

I know that sounds silly from a theist and believer in Jesus. All I can say is watch or read Joseph Campbell's work and it will all make sense.

The first time I saw him I was saying to my self, "Yes, Yes, Exactly, that is it, this man explains what I have been feeling and could not express..."

"Once you have ordered your meal the menu is meaningless." - Me

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
well Jesus is the "only begotten", i.e. He's God, like the Father & the Spirit. i'm a created son, but one whom God loves just like Jesus.
i'm telling you that it doesn't get any better than this & you're more than welcome to join the family!:)
I choose not to associate with the kind of filth that identify as christian.

If I had a face to face conversation with you I would need bathe.

“Love much, trust none”

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

<quoted text>
No. Guilt only comes into play when I do something I know is wrong.....
That is not true by Laws of man nor Bible.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse and the sin offering in Leviticus is ONLY for unintentional sins.

Bet you didn't know that in the entire OT there is no sacrifice to atone for intentional sins.

The OT proves that Christianity's biggest selling point is a fraud.

“Love much, trust none”

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

From a mythological stand point, the "enlightenment" of the Abrahamic legends are that "God is an ahole, but don't take it personally."
Sadly, religions are anti-mythological and thus miss the entire point of the myths.

The beauty of modern myths like LOTR and Star Wars are that the they are living mythologies that haven't been ruined by trying to make them "religions facts".
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am going to go to hell for my lack of belief.
and
I wonder at the god, how can he be so capricious?
why would he make it easy for an empty vessel like you to believe, and at the same time make it so difficult for the intelligent to believe?
If the god was fair, each individual would receive the same opportunity to believe and also be blessed with the identical propensity to believe. When you so easily demonstrate this to be not the case, I easily see the god is not real.
I do thank you

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

<quoted text>
No. Guilt only comes into play when I do something I know is wrong.
As I said, there are different types of fear. You're conveniently ignoring the context of my statement. That's a straw man fallacy.
I have read your fear several times

it is that of a child, in the dark

were you raised without a father?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 397,941 - 397,960 of440,796
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

465 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Aura Mytha 715,682
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 15 min Lab28 222,982
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 18 min USA Born 529,584
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 20 min AussieBobby 255,483
Mike older man 34 min Son1995 1
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 35 min petesake kis 114,501
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 42 min Hidingfromyou 93,106
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 10 hr Carly 107
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••