Why I’m no longer a Christian
duststorm

Seabrook, TX

#421015 Nov 18, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! You are on sick hatefilled POS.
Whatever deity you worship is a worthless pig.
I am so glad my delusions center around the teachings of Jesus.
You are sick and you are the hate-filled one. You hate me for being a Christian.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#421016 Nov 18, 2012
Resurrectionologist wrote:
<quoted text>
The Jewish interpretation of Isaiah is totally different. They had preconditioned thinking. The context was that of national identity. That's why they didn't recognize Jesus as the Christ. They were looking for a revolutionary figure at the national level, and not a personal messiah at the spiritual level. Breaking through that presupposition was and is a daunting task. Jesus is not a legendary fabrication as a person. The trouble with the Jesus issue is rooted in the conflict between national political identity, and personal spiritual identity. I've met a few Jews who have recognized the difference, and now concede that the leading Jewish philosophers and rabbis in Jesus' time had it all wrong. They had preconceived ideas that they couldn't let go of. God's redemptive movement wasn't just for the nation of Israel. It was for mankind, but would work through Israel. Why do you think Jesus didn't choose any religious leaders as his disciples? He knew they already had presuppositions they would never let go of. He chose 12 blue-collar fishermen who had no classical training, and very little presupposition bias to tear down. This is why James and Paul didn't believe that Jesus was the Messiah until He appeared to them in the flesh.
And by the way, the first Christians were not the only ones to rewrite the Bible to suit their new religion. It continues to be rewritten every day of the week and year. You are doing it yourself.
duststorm

Seabrook, TX

#421017 Nov 18, 2012
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, those Jesus may have been a common man. Long ago dead. That is all to him!
Long ago, dead, dead, dead. Crucified on a cross, uunrecgnizable as a human being from the beating. Laid in a rich man's tomb. He descended into hell and gained the victory over death for me and for you. He arose and lives ever to make intercession for us.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#421018 Nov 18, 2012
Resurrectionologist wrote:
<quoted text>
Isaiah 53 is about 1 man. It addresses what will happen to God's greatest messenger.
That's incorrect. It's about what was happening to the Israelites during that time, not sometime in the distant future.

It has nothing to do with a messiah as you interpret it, but a high priest, which is what the word messiah means in Koine Hebrew. It was not to be a god-man, but just a human being who was raised to the level of high priest.

The Christian interpretation of the word messiah is not the first mistake of mistranslation, but just one in a long line of mistranslations for a new religion based on the stolen books of the Tanakh.
duststorm

Seabrook, TX

#421019 Nov 18, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Don't forget to tell him about your God having steel fangs, that each and every hell-bound person gets their own torture worm, and that they will curl up like bacon frying. Also, you can do what one of your minions did and tell him that God is going to attack him with 300 lb boulders of brimstone right here in the now. By the way, I never got my 300 lb boulders of brimstone. I think I'll sue for breach of promise.
That would be during Armageddon. The 300 lb. boulders of brimstone will happen. The mercy will be over, and the wrath of God will be unleashed on that terrible day of the Lord.
Each person condemned to hell will be tortured by their own torture worm which will never die. The Bible says so.
duststorm

Seabrook, TX

#421020 Nov 18, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>All those things were supposed to have happened when he came the first time. You have evidently not read the Bible. But since preachers say that he has yet to return, they can also put off the prophecies that were meant for the first time around.
If it makes you feel better to think you still have a chance of an eternal life in a paradise as described in the Bible, please go right ahead. But you, and most of the other Christians here, don't really believe what the Bible actually says. You believe in the story you've made up in your mind and the one your preachers have told you.
It's shameful to say you believe in the Bible when you don't and to claim to follow the God of the Bible and then follow anything but that God.
The Mormons taught you that Baptist preachers are evil and liars. Your mind is poisoned against the gospel.
duststorm

Seabrook, TX

#421021 Nov 18, 2012
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
No inspiration by god. There was never any god at all!
Psalms: The fool hath said in his heart: There is no God.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#421022 Nov 18, 2012
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>Ever learning, and never coming to a knowledge of the truth.
The end result of being old is that one is closer to the final exit, death, than one has ever been during his lifetime.
Just because someone is old does not mean that a 20-yr.-old will not precede him out of this world.
Age is a warning, much like the leaves turning in the fall. It is a harbinger of death, when the leaf falls off the tree and is covered by the snow and rain of winter.
In a way, it is a merciful sign from the Lord that one should put his affairs in order, both spiritual and temporal.
My affairs are quite in order, dusty. But thanks for your concern.

There are no torture worms. There is death and then, if I am correct, another life. I do not suppose that life to be what you suppose it to be however. I don't worship a god with steel fangs, nor do I believe in a God who will torture people forever because he has never showed up for them.

Take your torture worms and go home. Play with them; name them; pretend you'll get to hand them out at the velvet rope at the entrance to Dante's inferno.

Your threats of an evil God do not worry me. I can't make myself believe in such a being. And if I could believe in such a being, I would give him a good talking to.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#421023 Nov 18, 2012
duststorm wrote:
Hip, you said, "God convinced me it was a tribal fairy tale. God led me the entire way out of the dark, dank sanctuary and into the air and light. Thank you Lord."
Hip, God is not the author of confusion. He would not rescind his Word and now say that it is a tribal fairy tale.
No, that is your mind being receptive to the wiles of Satan. You are no match for Satan. He has you in his clutches and he is counting on having you in hell with him forever.
You're right. God is not the author of the confusion that is fundamentalist Christianity. That is why when we seek God, he leads us away from the horrific tales like the ones you tell.

Dusty, if there were truly a hell, it would be for people who claim to follow the Bible and don't. It would be for those who say they believe every word of the Bible and prove they believe only what they have chosen from it. It would be for those who claim to follow the God of that book and don't. It would be for the people who keep changing the interpretation of the book to suit themselves.

That is one of the reasons I left the organized religion and sought God instead. And I found that I already knew God, but he was hidden behind the mumbo-jumbo of religion.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#421024 Nov 18, 2012
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>
We do not imagine or conjure or wish or hope retribution for our fellow man.
We take it as the gospel that there will be a retribution for these poor souls.
We take seriously the words of the hymn, "Rescue the perishing, care for the dying".
After the age of 20, the human is dying every day. The body is slowly following its inexorable path to the grave.
Without divine intervention, the soul arrives naturally at the gates of hell and enters in.
Oh get real, dusty. You drool every time you think about someone being tortured who has disagreed with you. You tell them about their torture in intimate detail. You've put so much thought into it that you have created a god with steel fangs because he wasn't torturous enough to suit your tastes. You've given him torture worms, on top of fire that's hotter than hot but still cold. You've made up a whole new Bible so you can sit and watch those who have disagreed with you be tortured.

So please, don't tell us you don't wish it on anyone. You are waiting avidly to watch it happen. And you have appointed yourself judge and jury to decide who gets to be tortured.
duststorm

Seabrook, TX

#421025 Nov 18, 2012
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>The doubts of others have no bearing on your standing? Probably so. Why then does it consume you as to why non-believers refuse to conform? Why would this be of any interest to one comfortable in their own place? Why would one spend hours in a secular forum speculating about the motives and future of complete strangers? As with most Christians, you're like a drunk. Drunks hate to drink alone. You rail against those who won't engage in pretend cannibalism with you over the corpse of a long-dead itinerant rabbi. It may have no "bearing" on your faith, but it certainly seems to prey heavily on your mind.
We are commanded to bring the good news of Jesus to the lost, snatching them from
the fire.(Jude) You have observed correctly that countless born-again Christians are comfortable in their own place, big-screen tuned to the game, golf clubsat the ready in the trunk. Other born-agains are afraid to offend you, and still others are striving to live a good life in front of you, in the hope that you will see their "exemplary" lifestyle and fall on your knees before a holy God.
It is hard to believe that the only motive of PopQuiz or myself is to keep you from falling into the flames.
You have observed that no one else seems to care about your immortal soul. That is a horrible indictment of the average saved American.
It does prey heavily on my mind. That place which was originally prepared for the devil and his angels, is too horrible to contemplate that a fellow human might arrive there and be imprisoned there forever.
If you knew someone might literally end up in hell, and you had the power to share a word with them, would you do it? Or would you also stay inside and maintain decorum and not bug them with unpleasantness?

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#421026 Nov 18, 2012
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>I would suggest the Book of John, and then the Book of Romans. You actually don't have to "study" them. Just read them. It will be self-evident.
John and Paul. Never Jesus. But that's fundamentalism at its core.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#421027 Nov 18, 2012
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
What a "loving" god-being you follow...sheeeesh.
He and duststorm should get together so they could have their religigasms simultaneously.
duststorm

Seabrook, TX

#421028 Nov 18, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Oh get real, dusty. You drool every time you think about someone being tortured who has disagreed with you. You tell them about their torture in intimate detail. You've put so much thought into it that you have created a god with steel fangs because he wasn't torturous enough to suit your tastes. You've given him torture worms, on top of fire that's hotter than hot but still cold. You've made up a whole new Bible so you can sit and watch those who have disagreed with you be tortured.
So please, don't tell us you don't wish it on anyone. You are waiting avidly to watch it happen. And you have appointed yourself judge and jury to decide who gets to be tortured.
You credit me with crafting the hell scenario. I only report what I've read in the Bible. You pretty well covered it, though. You did omit the fact that it can happen to someone in a split second, and that there is no escape, ever.
I think if there is one word which sums up my message, it is URGENT.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#421029 Nov 18, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I have some ocean front property in Arizona I can sell you.
And there are still those condos in the swamp for sale in South Florida.
Huh

Dallas, TX

#421030 Nov 18, 2012
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> To the flood. Only that it happened. And i will repeat this. According to the book Rare Earth it is tectonic plates which seperates land from water. These conditions unique to Earth. Given the amount of water absent tectonic plates the Earth would be a waterworld. No Christian website there. Something else to be ignored. What you want from me? You come across like a sniveling critic. It is not a major issue with me at this time. I'M happy i am getting all that extra money!
You have an incredible case of cognitive dissonance. In one post, you claim I have a habit of calling people names, without any such evidence, in this post, you call me a sniveling critic. Please explain how I am in any way crying over your ridiculous assertions. Of course I am a critic. There is zero, repeat, ZERO, evidence for anything supernatural, ever. Anything that has been claimed to be of supernatural origin has always been debunked. If you have other information, don't dispute me. Submit your evidence to the James Randi Educational Foundation and earn a $1,000,000 prize.

So, we have explored every planet in this vast universe? Apparently so, as you claim we are the only planet with tectonic plates. You really get around. What the book Rare Earth has to do with the Noachian Flood Myth is the real question. That is quite a stretch there, Sparky. Nowhere in that book does it make the claim you offer. That is just plain weird.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#421031 Nov 18, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Translation: you hate life and prefer to justify hating life and everyone around you with made up nonsense.
I would agree with that.
Huh

Dallas, TX

#421032 Nov 18, 2012
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>Long ago, dead, dead, dead. Crucified on a cross, uunrecgnizable as a human being from the beating. Laid in a rich man's tomb. He descended into hell and gained the victory over death for me and for you. He arose and lives ever to make intercession for us.
So, he got better. Nope, no sacrifice.
Huh

Dallas, TX

#421033 Nov 18, 2012
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>You credit me with crafting the hell scenario. I only report what I've read in the Bible. You pretty well covered it, though. You did omit the fact that it can happen to someone in a split second, and that there is no escape, ever.
I think if there is one word which sums up my message, it is URGENT.
Zzzzzz. Ooooh, scawy monsters. Boring nonsense.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#421034 Nov 18, 2012
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>This one sounds like a Motown hit.
Now that there's funny, I don't care who you are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min Buck Crick 63,740
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 10 min Steve III 45,233
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr onemale 281,858
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr pusherman_ 973,750
Gift Suggestion for a God Daughter? (Mar '15) 2 hr EstherMoore 2
herbal incense and legal buds for sale (Aug '11) 2 hr lee 10
Mencari teman seks wanita yang gersang (Sep '15) 3 hr eyem 20
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr Steve III 653,905
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 5 hr lightbeamrider 106,495
More from around the web