Why I’m no longer a Christian
duststorm

Seabrook, TX

#420974 Nov 18, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to hope or wish for something in order to believe it. So stop lying.
I personally have the sure hope of eternal life, of resurrection to new life in heaven.
I don't "believe in" death, hell, everlasting burnings, as a wish for my fellow humans. I believe they are real and inevitable for the unbeliever, as Jesus taught.
I don't "believe upon" them as I once for all time believed upon the Lord Jesus Christ for my salvation.
I do believe what he said about hell, and perdition for humans who never trust him for salvation.
duststorm

Seabrook, TX

#420975 Nov 18, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to hope or wish for something in order to believe it. So stop lying.
Next you'll be saying I have the power to throw you into hell. Fear the one who has the keys to heaven and to hell, and has the power to throw you in there, the Lord Jesus Christ himself.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#420976 Nov 18, 2012
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>The Bible is inspired by God. Holy men of old wrote under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. It is useful for correction, for reproof, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may grow up into the likeness of Christ.
I have some ocean front property in Arizona I can sell you.
duststorm

Seabrook, TX

#420977 Nov 18, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> One of Noah's sons married a Babylonian. Story over.
Aha! So you do believe there was a Noah who built an ark under God's direction, and he survived a massive worldwide deluge?
springLoaded

AOL

#420978 Nov 18, 2012

END TIME WARS, ISRAEL & ANTICHRIST (*News)

duststorm

Seabrook, TX

#420979 Nov 18, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>
But you believe whatever you have to believe to keep the faith, bro.
This one sounds like a Motown hit.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#420980 Nov 18, 2012
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>I personally have the sure hope of eternal life, of resurrection to new life in heaven.
I don't "believe in" death, hell, everlasting burnings, as a wish for my fellow humans. I believe they are real and inevitable for the unbeliever, as Jesus taught.
I don't "believe upon" them as I once for all time believed upon the Lord Jesus Christ for my salvation.
I do believe what he said about hell, and perdition for humans who never trust him for salvation.
Translation: you hate life and prefer to justify hating life and everyone around you with made up nonsense.
duststorm

Seabrook, TX

#420981 Nov 18, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Yet obviously this kingdom was not ushered in, and God still has to kill everybody off again. A failure if there ever was one.
3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,

4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:

6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:
duststorm

Seabrook, TX

#420982 Nov 18, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I have some ocean front property in Arizona I can sell you.
I thought you were an eyewitness to that light rain storm Sandy??

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#420983 Nov 18, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> Maybe you should repeat that to Tony17.
I can try to push water back up the river, too. LOL

“"None shall pass"”

There

#420984 Nov 18, 2012
Resurrectionologist wrote:
<quoted text>
Words aren't used the same now that they were in antiquity. There really is a translation process. If you're going to try to understand the words written 2000+ years ago, you have to go beyond just the words that appear on the page. If you read the words in just a "black/white" format, that is "textual criticism" which is based upon what we see on the page. There are many points to consider.
1- What were the customs of that culture at that particular time in history?
2- What were the expectations of that culture?
3- Was information transmitted via oral register or literary register?
4- How can we understand information presented in a different manner with a different mindset in a different culture?
If you don't consider these points, then none of it will make any sense. This is what we mean by reading it "in context." If you attempt to literally interpret ancient scripture written in an oral tradition register, by comparing it to our own modern literary register, you're not going to understand it.
The problem with Christianity is that it has never done that in 1700 years.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#420985 Nov 18, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> Well, to be aware of Hebraisms, you'd have to interpret the OT, which is their Torah/Tanakh, the same way they do. After all, they did write it. But Christians do not include the Hebraisms when they are interpreting it. They make up their own meanings.
So that won't wash either.
Try again.
You mean like translating Ruach Ha'Kodesh as a Holy Spirit instead of Breath of God ?

Or Ben'Adam as Christ instead of "good person" ?

or Nephesh as Soul instead of Living Creature ?

Yep, they make up definitions for the Hebrew words to fit their preconvieved opinions.

Another problem is they use the Greek OT instead of the Hebrew one. Why use a poor copy when the original Hebrew one from 200 BC still exists (DSS)

“"None shall pass"”

There

#420986 Nov 18, 2012
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool, this is getting deep. An ancient conspiracy theory...
Some of the christian inventions are even more ludicrous than the Bible itself.

There seems to be a mindset of "Well if you swalled that line, here is an ever sillier one."

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#420987 Nov 18, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> This is a post for X or HipG to answer. I know I can't do it as well as either of them would.
The answer, for me, is simple. The very argument he makes likewise works equally against a Christian interpretation. The answer to his question is to be found easily in the Jewish interpretation of their own scripture, which would seem to go without saying, were it not for the controversy. "Scholarship" merely muddies the water in the Christian's favor, and of course, this suits them just fine.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#420988 Nov 18, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you're making excuses.
You just noticed that ? LOL
duststorm

Seabrook, TX

#420989 Nov 18, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Translation: you hate life and prefer to justify hating life and everyone around you with made up nonsense.
Translation: You are living it up, you only go around once in life, you are grabbing for all the gusto you can get.
I am only a poor mud hen, kinda like the church lady in a grey sweater and bobby sox.

“The future begins”

every moment

#420991 Nov 18, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> I feel so incompetent in your presence! I was just going to take him only as far back as 52.
and you should. The avenues for rebuttal are multi-faceted, and the way Isaiah 52 is left hanging without support is another key response. This is why it is amazing that we even have to have these debates, were it not for entrenched and ossified "certainty".

“"None shall pass"”

There

#420992 Nov 18, 2012
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>
You filched a pencil in the fourth grade, and that alone makes you deserving of a death sentence.....
Wow! You are on sick hatefilled POS.

Whatever deity you worship is a worthless pig.

I am so glad my delusions center around the teachings of Jesus.
duststorm

Seabrook, TX

#420993 Nov 18, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! You are on sick hatefilled POS.
Whatever deity you worship is a worthless pig.
I am so glad my delusions center around the teachings of Jesus.
Can you feel the flames licking the soles of your boots?

“The future begins”

every moment

#420994 Nov 18, 2012
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not rattled. Why should I be rattled, when he set my feet on the solid rock? The doubts of others have no bearing on my standing with God, which is that I am one of his, a member of the family of God, one of the redeemed. That is an irrefutable fact. I'm a child of the king, looking out of the castle at the poor paupers, bereft of God, naked and dying in their unbelief.
You are correct when you say that I can't understand why you don't believe my "delusions". I guess it is because you have named the gospel, God' word, as a set of "delusions", and that is why you do not believe. You would be mentally unbalanced to believe in delusion or delusions, that much is true. I do not consider you mentally unbalanced or prone to believing in delusions. I certainly wouldn't expect you to suddenly begin to believe in delusions.
The doubts of others have no bearing on your standing? Probably so. Why then does it consume you as to why non-believers refuse to conform? Why would this be of any interest to one comfortable in their own place? Why would one spend hours in a secular forum speculating about the motives and future of complete strangers? As with most Christians, you're like a drunk. Drunks hate to drink alone. You rail against those who won't engage in pretend cannibalism with you over the corpse of a long-dead itinerant rabbi. It may have no "bearing" on your faith, but it certainly seems to prey heavily on your mind.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 7 min FUmonitors 88,719
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Big Al 996,590
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr Big Al 703,884
"Doctor REALITY" is FOS 4 hr chick fill a 12
WARNING To GOP Republicans 4 hr Bernie fan 1
There is Everything Wrong with Abortion (Nov '07) 5 hr Big Al 223,085
New girl reminds me too much of ex gf 5 hr Jimbo 2