Why Iím no longer a Christian

Posted in the Top Stories Forum

Comments (Page 19,716)

Showing posts 394,301 - 394,320 of440,826
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#417245
Nov 4, 2012
 
Saint Augustine wrote:
<quoted text>
I can susplain that pink outfit, hon.
I know...I know...you were just getting in touch with your feminine side.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#417246
Nov 4, 2012
 
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I know...I know...you were just getting in touch with your feminine side.
LOL.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#417247
Nov 4, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>G thinks everything is about him. How could everything *not* be about him? He has 3 degrees, a BMW and a job with good retirement! I'm sure no one else has ever accomplished such a feat! We'll hear about him on the news any day now.
Hopefully the breast feeding conversation has run it's course...I am beyond that stage in life!

Can't believe that I am posting this but...what the hell!

Please no one else read beyond this point!:-(

I personally would like to see this be the next topic that we are educated about...

http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/azhealthtopi...

Vaginal Douching - To Douche or Not to Douche - The Douche Debate Continues

Yes...I know...I am being a smartass this morning! I think I need to go for my walk...

Sorry...don't have a clue as to how this relates to "Why I Am No Longer A Christian"...some how...there has to be a tie in.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#417248
Nov 4, 2012
 
Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok..Each group has their own definition of "Christian" that agrees with their own beliefs about the nature of Jesus, God, church tradition, written text, evolved theology, the cultures in which they are implanted, etc. There appears to be no way to compromise on a single definition that is acceptable to all.
Jesus was Jewish. He was born a Jew, lived a Jewish life, taught and read in the synagogue, and was called 'rabbi' by some of his followers. The word 'Christian' refers to the followers of 'the Christ'- the Messiah, the anointed one. Jesus, in this context could not have been a 'Christian' by definition. However, Jesus was no ordinary Jew. Christians believe that he was sent by God as God in human form (hence the other name that Jesus used 'Emman\uel' which means 'God with us'). God the Father had revealed himself to the Jews over thousands of years in the stories in the Old Testament (or the 'Old Covenant'/Old Agreement') but the Jews continued to rebel against God to such an extent that even when the prophets foretold the messiah coming the Jews still ignored them.
Jesus, because of his teaching, his miracles and his crucifixion and resurrection, was seen as the fulfilment of the New Covenant (hence the accounts of his life are in the part of the Bible called the New Testament) between God and humankind. He showed the way to God through love and not mindless rules, and he made it very clear that his message was for all humanity and not just for the Jews.
Christ is a myth, child.

Jesus, if he ever existed, was a Jew.

The gospels of the NT all are based on the fiction of Mark or proto-Mark.

Mark is a brilliant work. It's Greek is crude, but its literary style is highly sophisticated.

If you suspend your suspension of disbelief and read that text for the fictional work it is, you'll understand.

But I'm not holding my breath.

“Selected Marksman”

Since: Aug 08

Northern Virginia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#417249
Nov 4, 2012
 
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay...I am strange...but your post reminded me of this one...yes...another 1970's song...yes...I still have a long way to go but I am on that journey to 2012! At least in this mind of mine! LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
You bring the memories of The Turtles, Mamas and Papas, Grand Funk Railroad, The Association and other such bands from those good ole days.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#417250
Nov 4, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why, of course he was silly!
Why else do you suppose the cathaholics would still be crucifying him in their churches!
And that devil fella---there must really be one! How else could they have painted such perfect pictures of him!
Ya think so?

X posted a history of Satan somewhere on Topix, and I posted a history of hell somewhere here too.

I think both are worth reading.

But, hey, I wrote one of them, so I may be biased.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#417251
Nov 4, 2012
 
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
....Please no one else read beyond this point!:-(
....
OK.
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I personally would like to see this be the next topic that we are educated about...
http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/azhealthtopi...
Vaginal Douching - To Douche or Not to Douche - The Douche Debate Continues
Yes...I know...I am being a smartass this morning! I think I need to go for my walk...
Sorry...don't have a clue as to how this relates to "Why I Am No Longer A Christian"...some how...there has to be a tie in.
Holy crap!

I mean, can I look yet?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#417252
Nov 4, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Ya know, I miss the great posts from OFT, Hip, X, and a few others here.

It's not the same thread without them.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#417253
Nov 4, 2012
 
Saint Augustine wrote:
<quoted text>
OK.
<quoted text>
Holy crap!
I mean, can I look yet?
LOL

I should have known...you cheated!

I know...I thought "Holy crap" too...right after I hit enter!

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#417254
Nov 4, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
So you still think you know more about your body by virtue of being in it than any man on Earth.
Read "Of Mice and Men". You made a mockery of it.
Of course, your majesty.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#417255
Nov 4, 2012
 
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
I should have known...you cheated!
I know...I thought "Holy crap" too...right after I hit enter!
I read nothing.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#417256
Nov 4, 2012
 
Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
Very weak defense..You gained an hour. Admit it.
Some people cannot admit making a simple mistake. It's like everything they believe in will fall apart if the say 'Oops!' and laugh it off.

There are times when all of us have made errors. Those who are responsible adults with a sense of humor can laugh at our own mistakes and very often, learn from them.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#417257
Nov 4, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank You..I love this qoute. God isn't looking for Behavior Modification..He is looking for Heart Trasformation.. The wisdom behind that is.. GOD knew that once our hearts were transformed..Everything else will follow the heart. Grace and Peace to you
Wouldn't it stand to reason that with a 'heart transformation' there would be behavior modification?

Some of the people here who claim to have been 'transformed' when they became a Christian certainly do not _appear_ to have transformed.

When one is transformed, they are changed. Jesus said put off the old man and put on the new. THAT is transformation. I don't see transformation of heart as still doing the same things to try to hurt others as you did before having a 'heart transformation'.

Somewhow, I see it exactly as Jesus said it. But I think I'm one of the few non-Christians on Topix who actually knows what Jesus said, much less has ever tried to live by it.

I fail miserably at times. I admit that. But I'm much closer than some of his most ardent adherents on this thread and many others. I don't wish anyone, not anyone, ill. I don't want bad things to happen to bad people. I want them to find something that will make them feel loved, worthwhile and happy. I think that's the real difference in transformation. You don't have to like someone. All you have to do is care enough about them to want good things to happen to them regardless of what has been said or done by that person.

If you are truly transformed, you will not try to do God's job of judgment for him. You'll know it's covered. You won't need to feel superior to others as you will realize that however much you try to live a good and moral life, you will fail at times just like the person you're judging and saying will go to hell for eternity.

You won't have any need to deny others the same rights you claim, as if you are sure of the power of your God, you will know that those things will be taken care of, too. You don't have to see it in your lifetime to know that.

So I think some people are very low on faith that God will do his job of judgment. They want God to do it on their terms, when they want it done, and as harshly as they would do it themselves. That is NOT a transformation of heart. That is going forward in even a worse way than when they were the ones who were judged!

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#417258
Nov 4, 2012
 
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay...I am strange...but your post reminded me of this one...yes...another 1970's song...yes...I still have a long way to go but I am on that journey to 2012! At least in this mind of mine! LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
LOVE this song. Always have. We should all get in musical mode and 'Don't worry, be happy!'

How could you not be happy watching Robin Williams?

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#417259
Nov 4, 2012
 
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Some people cannot admit making a simple mistake. It's like everything they believe in will fall apart if the say 'Oops!' and laugh it off.
There are times when all of us have made errors. Those who are responsible adults with a sense of humor can laugh at our own mistakes and very often, learn from them.
Absolutely WN...We all make mistakes and nobody is exempt from doing so. There are some who define themselves according to their education without realizing this..Diane F. Halpern, a psychologist and past-president of the American Psychological Association (APA), wrote in her essay contribution to Why Smart People Can Be So Stupid that in general, we recognize people as intelligent if they have some combination of these achievements (1) good grades in school; (2) a high level of education; (3) a responsible, complex job; (4) some other recognition of being intelligent, such as winning prestigious awards or earning a large salary; (5) the ability to read complex text with good comprehension; (6) solve difficult and novel problems.

Throughout my research and in the early phases of this article, I came across many definitions of the word intelligence. Some were long, some were short. Some I couldn't even understand. The definition that is most prevalent is the one created by the APA which is:

the ability to adapt to one's environment, and learn from one's mistakes.

That sums up intelligence to me..:)

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#417260
Nov 4, 2012
 
Knowledge wrote:
<quoted text>
Work midnights like I did, you work an extra hour, and you don't get paid for it. You work nine hours not eight. Will take me a few years to get use to this. The last few years I lost and hour. Only a person who has or does work the graveyard shift knows what that is. Many things to get use too your first year in retirement, it sure is nice...Thanks for your concern tho, I slept very good......LOL ;)_
This still does not mean that you lost an hour. It only means you lost an hour's pay.

Why is it that you can't just admit that you made a mistake and laugh it off? Would it bring your whole world crumbling down around you to admit you made a very common error?

All of us make mistakes. People who are not afraid of being wrong can admit those errors. Why are you and other fundamentalist Christians so afraid of admitting an error? No matter how slight the error is, you don't seem to have what it takes just to be truthful and say you made a mistake and laugh about it.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#417261
Nov 4, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> Wouldn't it stand to reason that with a 'heart transformation' there would be behavior modification?
Some of the people here who claim to have been 'transformed' when they became a Christian certainly do not _appear_ to have transformed.
When one is transformed, they are changed. Jesus said put off the old man and put on the new. THAT is transformation. I don't see transformation of heart as still doing the same things to try to hurt others as you did before having a 'heart transformation'.
Somewhow, I see it exactly as Jesus said it. But I think I'm one of the few non-Christians on Topix who actually knows what Jesus said, much less has ever tried to live by it.
I fail miserably at times. I admit that. But I'm much closer than some of his most ardent adherents on this thread and many others. I don't wish anyone, not anyone, ill. I don't want bad things to happen to bad people. I want them to find something that will make them feel loved, worthwhile and happy. I think that's the real difference in transformation. You don't have to like someone. All you have to do is care enough about them to want good things to happen to them regardless of what has been said or done by that person.
If you are truly transformed, you will not try to do God's job of judgment for him. You'll know it's covered. You won't need to feel superior to others as you will realize that however much you try to live a good and moral life, you will fail at times just like the person you're judging and saying will go to hell for eternity.
You won't have any need to deny others the same rights you claim, as if you are sure of the power of your God, you will know that those things will be taken care of, too. You don't have to see it in your lifetime to know that.
So I think some people are very low on faith that God will do his job of judgment. They want God to do it on their terms, when they want it done, and as harshly as they would do it themselves. That is NOT a transformation of heart. That is going forward in even a worse way than when they were the ones who were judged!
BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN..That is what I have been trying to say. My heart was transformed and my behavior followed. I changed my mindset. When our hearts are transformed we develop new desires. We desire what is good, pure, wholesome and love others as God loves us. Heart transformation leads to behavior modification. Thoses who strive for their own goodness by trying to earn their salvation by their "good works" or their own ablilities of following a set
of rules usually leads to frustration and failure. Yes, We still mess up and we most likely always will, However, Without a heart transformation, We will never see our own mistakes and continue pointing out the mistakes of others. Those are the one's who are considered "Self Righteous" by Jesus Himself. WN..You understand more about Jesus then a lot of proclaiming Christians on here do..IMHO. Thanks for posting and being open,honest and true..

ďDo not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.Ė Romans 12:1

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#417262
Nov 4, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Then I guess God himself (as his son) must not have been inspired in his teachings, as they are in direct opposition to what Paul taught. If you think Paul was inspired by God, that pretty much leaves Jesus out in the cold.
I don't hate God. I am not ignorant of the Bible. I do not believe in the Bible as a holy book in any way, but that does not equal hate.
What equals hate is your attitude toward everyone who does not believe as you do.
I would suggest you do some reading outside the Bible. You can start with scientific articles on homosexuality. That should open your eyes a little bit.
And you could read the story of Ryan White. If that doesn't melt your heart, nothing will.
Love is the cure, not hate.
If your child committed a sin would you hate him, of course not Neither do I hate gays, I hate the sin they commit, just like you hate it when your child disobeys. The penalty for your son may be he doesn't get to watch tv for a week, where being gay carries an eternal punishment. I do not condone hatred towards gays or anybody. We show love in hopes they will change there way.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#417263
Nov 4, 2012
 
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Hopefully the breast feeding conversation has run it's course...I am beyond that stage in life!
Can't believe that I am posting this but...what the hell!
Please no one else read beyond this point!:-(
I personally would like to see this be the next topic that we are educated about...
http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/azhealthtopi...
Vaginal Douching - To Douche or Not to Douche - The Douche Debate Continues
Yes...I know...I am being a smartass this morning! I think I need to go for my walk...
Sorry...don't have a clue as to how this relates to "Why I Am No Longer A Christian"...some how...there has to be a tie in.
Being a non-doucher and a non-Christian have nothing in common. But I am sure someone will figure out something to say that connects the two, and probably in the nastiest, most odoriferous (via typing!:)) manner possible. I just hope they don't mistake 'odoriferous' with 'maloderous'.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#417264
Nov 4, 2012
 
Saint Augustine wrote:
<quoted text>
OK.
<quoted text>
Holy crap!
I mean, can I look yet?
Only if you're not afraid of learning.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 394,301 - 394,320 of440,826
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

408 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min Oxbow 532,249
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 7 min Richardfs 223,976
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 8 min bacon hater 93,649
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 16 min nanoanomaly 719,841
Friends who want to share daily living experiences (Oct '11) 27 min Just Wondering 8,187
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 46 min An NFL Fan 114,933
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 59 min Vinod S 4,444
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr WasteWater 256,338
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr UidiotRaceMakeWorldPeace1 172,192
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••