Comments
394,281 - 394,300 of 441,231 Comments Last updated 23 min ago

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#417236 Nov 4, 2012
Resurrectionologist wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a very good post Grace. The "fire 'n' brimstone" mentality of fundamentalism is very constrictive. It operates on a tunnel vision mentality in which members of that type of congregation focus on the behavior of others, and not on their own. Jesus warned against this trap of spiritual competitiveness. The mature Christian doesn't compare him or herself to other Christians or non-Christians in such an arrogant way. We realize that our salvation is not dependent upon our behavior, but upon God's grace. We change our behavior over time out of appreciation for that grace, and the cost that was paid for that grace by Jesus.
Thank You..I love this qoute. God isn't looking for Behavior Modification..He is looking for Heart Trasformation.. The wisdom behind that is.. GOD knew that once our hearts were transformed..Everything else will follow the heart. Grace and Peace to you

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#417237 Nov 4, 2012
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey darlin'!
It is so good to see you again SA. Still just as cute as you ever were! LOL
BTW I always thought you looked good in hot pink...
:-)
Uh oh.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#417238 Nov 4, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>G thinks everything is about him. How could everything *not* be about him? He has 3 degrees, a BMW and a job with good retirement! I'm sure no one else has ever accomplished such a feat! We'll hear about him on the news any day now.
Okay...I am strange...but your post reminded me of this one...yes...another 1970's song...yes...I still have a long way to go but I am on that journey to 2012! At least in this mind of mine! LOL

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#417239 Nov 4, 2012
Saint Augustine wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh oh.

Aaaaaw but ya know...I still love ya!

“Selected Marksman”

Since: Aug 08

Northern Virginia

#417240 Nov 4, 2012
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Good morning Mr. Wiggley!
I always find it amusing but sad when someone selects a name to post under that describes themselves in such a manner. Oh...I know...in actuality they "think" that they are addressing the person that they are responding to. More often than not it is more of a reflection of their own self as often is indicated in the words that they write.
Name calling??? I could write a book on my opinion of that but will shorten it to...if I can't get my point across without resorting to name calling...then I have a problem.
Hi Annie...I agree, it's certainly amusing to some of us but I believe they actually think they are accomplishing something positive in their favor by doing so. What they are not capable of realizing however, is their loss of respect and credibility.
Oh well...
Have a nice day!!!

Location hidden

#417241 Nov 4, 2012
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Aaaaaw but ya know...I still love ya!
I can susplain that pink outfit, hon.

“Selected Marksman”

Northern Virginia

#417242 Nov 4, 2012
Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
Good question Mr.W. I have wondered that from the day that I joined this discussion and read all the hate and threats from the "so called" christians. The only answer that I came up with is that these types of believers are "repeating" what their preachers are screaming to them from behind the pulpits. Here are 2 more questions that I have pondered on..
1- I have noticed that most of THESE Believers will also say that they will only believe the KJV Bible..They claim that is the only TRUE version. I have been on here and claimed that we are "Justified By Faith in Grace Alone" They disagree with me on this, HOWEVER, Martin Luther Believed this way as well. If Martin Luther believed this way and the hateful christians only believe his version of the bible, Then WHY dont they BELIEVE what they read???
2- My other question is aimed at these fire and brimstone style christians...While they sit in their pews and listen to their preacher scream these threats, Are they applying this to THEMSELVES or are they looking around at the congregation or even thinking of us on this thread and applying it to EVERYONE ELSE? If they will admit the truth, those who apply it to everyone else are the one's who are actually in the danger that they apply to everyone else.
Lets see how they squirm out of this one..Good day Mr. Wiggley
All we can do is sit back and await the posting of some very interesting explainations.
Hope you have a nice day also Grace.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#417243 Nov 4, 2012
Saint Augustine wrote:
<quoted text>
Caravaggio's The Incredulity of Saint Thomas.
Good Avatar.
But you realize Jesus was a Jew, not a Christian, right?
Why, of course he was silly!
Why else do you suppose the cathaholics would still be crucifying him in their churches!
And that devil fella---there must really be one! How else could they have painted such perfect pictures of him!

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#417244 Nov 4, 2012
Saint Augustine wrote:
<quoted text>
Caravaggio's The Incredulity of Saint Thomas.
Good Avatar.
But you realize Jesus was a Jew, not a Christian, right?
Ok..Each group has their own definition of "Christian" that agrees with their own beliefs about the nature of Jesus, God, church tradition, written text, evolved theology, the cultures in which they are implanted, etc. There appears to be no way to compromise on a single definition that is acceptable to all.

Jesus was Jewish. He was born a Jew, lived a Jewish life, taught and read in the synagogue, and was called 'rabbi' by some of his followers. The word 'Christian' refers to the followers of 'the Christ'- the Messiah, the anointed one. Jesus, in this context could not have been a 'Christian' by definition. However, Jesus was no ordinary Jew. Christians believe that he was sent by God as God in human form (hence the other name that Jesus used 'Emman\uel' which means 'God with us'). God the Father had revealed himself to the Jews over thousands of years in the stories in the Old Testament (or the 'Old Covenant'/Old Agreement') but the Jews continued to rebel against God to such an extent that even when the prophets foretold the messiah coming the Jews still ignored them.

Jesus, because of his teaching, his miracles and his crucifixion and resurrection, was seen as the fulfilment of the New Covenant (hence the accounts of his life are in the part of the Bible called the New Testament) between God and humankind. He showed the way to God through love and not mindless rules, and he made it very clear that his message was for all humanity and not just for the Jews.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#417245 Nov 4, 2012
Saint Augustine wrote:
<quoted text>
I can susplain that pink outfit, hon.
I know...I know...you were just getting in touch with your feminine side.

Location hidden

#417246 Nov 4, 2012
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I know...I know...you were just getting in touch with your feminine side.
LOL.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#417247 Nov 4, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>G thinks everything is about him. How could everything *not* be about him? He has 3 degrees, a BMW and a job with good retirement! I'm sure no one else has ever accomplished such a feat! We'll hear about him on the news any day now.
Hopefully the breast feeding conversation has run it's course...I am beyond that stage in life!

Can't believe that I am posting this but...what the hell!

Please no one else read beyond this point!:-(

I personally would like to see this be the next topic that we are educated about...

http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/azhealthtopi...

Vaginal Douching - To Douche or Not to Douche - The Douche Debate Continues

Yes...I know...I am being a smartass this morning! I think I need to go for my walk...

Sorry...don't have a clue as to how this relates to "Why I Am No Longer A Christian"...some how...there has to be a tie in.

Location hidden

#417248 Nov 4, 2012
Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok..Each group has their own definition of "Christian" that agrees with their own beliefs about the nature of Jesus, God, church tradition, written text, evolved theology, the cultures in which they are implanted, etc. There appears to be no way to compromise on a single definition that is acceptable to all.
Jesus was Jewish. He was born a Jew, lived a Jewish life, taught and read in the synagogue, and was called 'rabbi' by some of his followers. The word 'Christian' refers to the followers of 'the Christ'- the Messiah, the anointed one. Jesus, in this context could not have been a 'Christian' by definition. However, Jesus was no ordinary Jew. Christians believe that he was sent by God as God in human form (hence the other name that Jesus used 'Emman\uel' which means 'God with us'). God the Father had revealed himself to the Jews over thousands of years in the stories in the Old Testament (or the 'Old Covenant'/Old Agreement') but the Jews continued to rebel against God to such an extent that even when the prophets foretold the messiah coming the Jews still ignored them.
Jesus, because of his teaching, his miracles and his crucifixion and resurrection, was seen as the fulfilment of the New Covenant (hence the accounts of his life are in the part of the Bible called the New Testament) between God and humankind. He showed the way to God through love and not mindless rules, and he made it very clear that his message was for all humanity and not just for the Jews.
Christ is a myth, child.

Jesus, if he ever existed, was a Jew.

The gospels of the NT all are based on the fiction of Mark or proto-Mark.

Mark is a brilliant work. It's Greek is crude, but its literary style is highly sophisticated.

If you suspend your suspension of disbelief and read that text for the fictional work it is, you'll understand.

But I'm not holding my breath.

“Selected Marksman”

Northern Virginia

#417249 Nov 4, 2012
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay...I am strange...but your post reminded me of this one...yes...another 1970's song...yes...I still have a long way to go but I am on that journey to 2012! At least in this mind of mine! LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =9qEEtkuBkEIXX
You bring the memories of The Turtles, Mamas and Papas, Grand Funk Railroad, The Association and other such bands from those good ole days.

Location hidden

#417250 Nov 4, 2012
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why, of course he was silly!
Why else do you suppose the cathaholics would still be crucifying him in their churches!
And that devil fella---there must really be one! How else could they have painted such perfect pictures of him!
Ya think so?

X posted a history of Satan somewhere on Topix, and I posted a history of hell somewhere here too.

I think both are worth reading.

But, hey, I wrote one of them, so I may be biased.

Location hidden

#417251 Nov 4, 2012
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
....Please no one else read beyond this point!:-(
OK.
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I personally would like to see this be the next topic that we are educated about...
http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/azhealthtopi...
Vaginal Douching - To Douche or Not to Douche - The Douche Debate Continues
Yes...I know...I am being a smartass this morning! I think I need to go for my walk...
Sorry...don't have a clue as to how this relates to "Why I Am No Longer A Christian"...some how...there has to be a tie in.
Holy crap!

I mean, can I look yet?

Location hidden

#417252 Nov 4, 2012
Ya know, I miss the great posts from OFT, Hip, X, and a few others here.

It's not the same thread without them.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#417253 Nov 4, 2012
Saint Augustine wrote:
<quoted text>
OK.
<quoted text>
Holy crap!
I mean, can I look yet?
LOL

I should have known...you cheated!

I know...I thought "Holy crap" too...right after I hit enter!

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#417254 Nov 4, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
So you still think you know more about your body by virtue of being in it than any man on Earth.
Read "Of Mice and Men". You made a mockery of it.
Of course, your majesty.

Location hidden

#417255 Nov 4, 2012
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
I should have known...you cheated!
I know...I thought "Holy crap" too...right after I hit enter!
I read nothing.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 min stephania 600,362
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Huh 734,186
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 4 min MUQ1 36,770
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 min Dr_Zorderz 258,259
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 6 min superwilly 226,601
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min KayMarie 539,674
3 Word Game (Feb '12) 37 min Tender Mercies 4,177
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••