Why I’m no longer a Christian

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#384559 Jun 27, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>I don't mean to upset you, but I think you were upset that you had to face something that was uncomfortable. We all have to do that at some point in our lives. It's kind of like the first time you find out your parents actually have sex. LOL
While her statement may have been worded incorrectly, it was in general factual. I think that upsets a lot of theists who believe that Jesus was a teaching magnate in a whole country. The fact is that Jesus taught in a very small area. His travels, according to everything written about him, were limited.
And, like it or not, he didn't become famous in a wider area until Paul traveled and told people what he wanted them to believe rather than what Jesus actually taught.
Therefore, there are no documents or coins or busts or statues to record what he looked like or even what he actually said.
I truly think there is enough evidence (for me) to think that Jesus was a charismatic, intelligent and wise Rabbi who taught in such a way that the Jewish priests feared him. He tried to teach the Jews how to use the Torah in a way that was the heart of the laws rather than the strict legal aspect of the law; how to be compassionate; how to take care of each other; and how to live a life giving of oneself to other human beings.
None of this is said to hurt your feelings (or anyone else's) but is said because it is my own observation.
Now that's nicely written.

And even as an atheist, I can find nothing with which to disagree.

Kudos.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#384560 Jun 27, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> You still don't know his name or where he lives. Texas is a big state. You're all bluff and no gruff.
I was in London during the Blitz, and in Oran during the last plague outbreak.

Oh, dear, have I given away my identity?

*helpless laughter*

hick-up

“squuuze me”

Since: Feb 09

Florida, USA

#384561 Jun 27, 2012
Good Morning ...

It's raining.

“Body,Mind and Strength are HIS”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#384562 Jun 27, 2012
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>if your not born again you will bust hell wide open!!! I have been born again/saved... bout you?
Is this Spiritual or Of the Flesh, How can one enter again into the womb of his Mother and be born again?

"Born Again" what does that Mean.......

Stephen...A New Spirit I have, I am A New Creation in Him....

No Longer under Sin's Bondage, But set free by the Mighty, Awesome Work Of Y'Shua upon the Cross Of Salvation and His Shed Blood "FOR ATONEMENT!" For All!

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#384563 Jun 27, 2012
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
I showed you the statues. And I can guarantee you, they weren't blonde-haired, blue-eyed Aryan ideals from an Arab nation.
<quoted text>
I am; why aren't you?
The statues are from 200 years after Socrates lived and there also statues of Moses and Jesus...why do you believe in one and not the others ?
<quoted text>
Well,*that's* a typically christian thing to say.
Why do you insist that I must believe that your jesus was real? Dude,*I'M* not the one sounding like a fundie here.
I am not asking to beloeve in Jesus. I am asking you to stop being biased and apply the same principles equally.
<quoted text>I'm ninth generation in my family's own tradition of Stregheria (mom's family is Tuscan, where the old gods were originated some five thousand years ago). I do not command and demand that you accept its reality the way you do with your jesus.
Bullshit!
The term was invented in 1970 as I pointed out.
Your family had superstitions and folklore like every other culture. It does not make it real.
<knocks on wood to wake up the driads>
Guess that makes me a Strega!
ROFLMAO

“"None shall pass"”

There

#384564 Jun 27, 2012
<quoted text>
...I have proven to you that beyond all doubt, Caesar, Napoleon, Socrates, Plato, Benjamin Franklin, et al have existed. They are historical, inarguable FACT......
<quoted text>
I've proved my case, and I proved you wrong. Your insulting attitude proves that.
Now *you're* starting to sound like a fundie.
You didn't prove anyhing other than you accept the same type of evidence for what YOU believe as you reject for what you don't believe.

You are biased, no problem. That you have t lie about it is a problem.

Location hidden

#384565 Jun 27, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>'We believe that the final state of those who have trusted in Messiah will be eternal bliss in the presence of God. We believe that the eternal state of those who have not trusted in Messiah will be one of conscious suffering in hell.'
This disagrees with what you have said in the past in that you believe that sinners will be annihilated.
You believe that no matter what you do, you're forgiven. So you continue to throw feces in the face of your God every time you post your lies here. Good luck with your eternal 'bliss'.
That's really all it's about with you people. To hell with the suffering of people here on earth as long as you get your eternal bliss.
You are a disgrace to God who never promised any such thing.
"I" have never stated "Sinners" will be "annihilated" We are all "sinners" each and everyone of us, whether you or I believe it or not!! "All have sinned and come short of the Glory Of G-D." ALL.....The Penalty, is death and eternal"Separation from G-D"...We as sinners are seperated from G-D...The "Bridge" back into G-D's Presence...Is Y'Shua, and what he did...For ALL!

Stephen.....My SPIRIT has been "RE-BORN" and I AM a new Creation, because of WHAT Y'SHUA DID, not anything, I can or will ever be able to do....

Location hidden

#384566 Jun 27, 2012
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>
Matthew 28:16-20
The Great Commission
16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said,“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
AMEN! Selah! Preach My Bro. Clown, Preach Loud and Clear, so that all that Hear it may be Saved, Born Anew, in the Spirit Of the Living G-D and Of His Son, Our Saviour JESUS His Chris, and Of the Holy Spirit, Our Comforter and Guide, until HIS return, and the Very Foundation Of His Kingdom Hear On Earth ass It Is In the Heavens!

Stephen..."Child Of Promise!"

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#384567 Jun 27, 2012
hick-up wrote:
Good Morning ...
It's raining.
You're probably getting too much, and I am getting none here. Sun is shining once again and it's going to be hotter than working in a foundry.

Are you flooded?

“"None shall pass"”

There

#384568 Jun 27, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>...It is always odd to me that when claiming a God-man/final sacrifice for mankind lived, he has to be compared to historical figures rather than other God-men/sacrificial lambs.
When did I claim Jesus was anythign other than a human ?
When does the Bible or ANY early Christian document claim Jesus was anything more than a Human ?
Don't put words in my, or anyone else's mouths.
All early documents claim is that Jesus had a lot of good things to say about how to be a good Jew.
As for statues, the Jews didn't make statues.
As for writing about people while they are alive, Plato wrote AFTER Socrates was dead (it would be difficult to write about the execution of Socrates while Socrates was alive), Just like the Gospel of Thomas was written shortly after Jesus was executed.
Once again you change the rules to fit what ever you want to believe.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#384569 Jun 27, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't prove anyhing other than you accept the same type of evidence for what YOU believe as you reject for what you don't believe.
You are biased, no problem. That you have t lie about it is a problem.
Did you accept the factual evidence I gave you? If not, you are doing the same thing.

While it is true that the statue (bust) presented was done two hundred years after the fact, the facts I gave you were correct.

I think this is one of the silliest arguments I've ever seen.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#384570 Jun 27, 2012
Logistics Supervisor wrote:
<quoted text>"I" have never stated "Sinners" will be "annihilated" We are all "sinners" each and everyone of us, whether you or I believe it or not!! "All have sinned and come short of the Glory Of G-D." ALL.....The Penalty, is death and eternal"Separation from G-D"...We as sinners are seperated from G-D...The "Bridge" back into G-D's Presence...Is Y'Shua, and what he did...For ALL!
Stephen.....My SPIRIT has been "RE-BORN" and I AM a new Creation, because of WHAT Y'SHUA DID, not anything, I can or will ever be able to do....
Death and eternal separation from your God is not annihilation? Pray tell then, what is it since you cannot then accept your Jesus?

You like to skirt around the nasty side of your God just as all other Christians do.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#384571 Jun 27, 2012
Logistics Supervisor wrote:
<quoted text>AMEN! Selah! Preach My Bro. Clown, Preach Loud and Clear, so that all that Hear it may be Saved, Born Anew, in the Spirit Of the Living G-D and Of His Son, Our Saviour JESUS His Chris, and Of the Holy Spirit, Our Comforter and Guide, until HIS return, and the Very Foundation Of His Kingdom Hear On Earth ass It Is In the Heavens!
Yeah, preach on the streets of Topix and gain your glory here so you won't have to worry about it n the afterlife, when you won't have any.

Location hidden

#384572 Jun 27, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
When does the Bible or ANY early Christian document claim Jesus was anything more than a Human ?
All early documents claim is that Jesus had a lot of good things to say about how to be a good Jew.
As for writing about people while they are alive, Plato wrote AFTER Socrates was dead (it would be difficult to write about the execution of Socrates while Socrates was alive), Just like the Gospel of Thomas was written shortly after Jesus was executed.
Hey Duane, I too, Believe Jesus (Y'Shua), was a Human Being, However, the Difference is that what I Believe about Him..Is this....He was also....G-D, In the Flesh, dwelling among man..For but, One reason....As ADAM, the Man...Was "Clay" Human Being, G-D's SPIRIT is what Gave Him Life and Sustained Him...Until "SIN" separated Adam & G-D..."Spiritually". ..Which has "Separated"..The rest of Us "Spiritually" from G-D, We reverted back to the "Clay" from which we were created...The Earth..Which was originally created to "LIVE ETERNALLY"..With-in the Presence and Sustenance of G-d...Which now no longer HAS the "SPIRIT" of G-d sustaining it. It is Dead..Like us, because we come from it...We are no longer "Connected" to the Life Giver and Sustainer..G-D...

Then..as G-D has planned it, Enter, Y'Shua.....The Second Adam...As a Human JESUS (Y'Shua)...Is "Connected" to G-D as Adam Was..Yet, Has Conquered Sin...For Us...His Mission to re-unite Man-Kind with OUR LIFE Giver-G-D!

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#384573 Jun 27, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Christians are affected by the same illnesses non-Christians are affected by and in the same percentage. You're full of doo-doo.
most 'christians' are asking & begging and running to doctors in unbelief for things that they've already been given and are supposed to just believe & receive in Christ's Name:)

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#384574 Jun 27, 2012
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless I am terribly mistaken, you said you think he was the final sacrifice. I didn't say you said Jesus was anything more than human. I was making a general statement.
The Romans made statues. Had they killed someone of such import, they would have made at least a bust. As record keepers, they would have at least recorded the crucifixion of one so great. As record-keepers, the Jews would have at least made mention of this radical rabbi whom they took to be tried. None of that happened.

I haven't changed any rules whatsoever. Why are you so pissed off? There are no records of Jesus WHILE HE WAS ALIVE. The others you mentioned have records of them WHILE THEY WERE ALIVE, except for Aesop, which seems to have been thrown in as a red herring.'Shortly after' was not the subject in this conversation.

I can see that we now cannot have a rational discussion of facts as you have become too defensive of your beliefs to do so. That's okay, it's happened before.

Location hidden

#384575 Jun 27, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text> Death and eternal separation from your God is not annihilation? Pray tell then, what is it since you cannot then accept your Jesus?
You like to skirt around the nasty side of your God just as all other Christians do.
No, It is NOT "annihilation" according to what I have studied..It is Eternal Separation from G-D...You will wish it were "Annihilation"..But. ....

Stephen....One day with G-D is better than All Eternity without Him!

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#384576 Jun 27, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Adam and Eve are fictinal characters. They brought nothing.
Faith healing does nothing but kill people. Prayer had proven ineffectual on several occasions in the healing of human beings.
You can believe in a book of allegorical tales all you wish, but it doesn't make it so.
If you are healthy, I am happy for you. But Jesus did not save you from illness, or all Christians would be well at all times.
herein lies your whole problem: if this is all fiction to you, you don't get any of the benefits. please don't hate me cuz i'm daring to presume on God given grace!:)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#384577 Jun 27, 2012
love_spell wrote:
<quoted text>
it's the same way with prayer.
if you want to believe it, you can convince yourself that it works and your own immune system will kick in and you may get well.
the mind is a powerful thing.
it isn't really your pretend god healing you, it's your own body and mind doing the job. only you give an imaginary being the credit instead of yourself.
there most certainly is a truth that being/believing for positive is more healthy than fearing and believing for evil/hypocondria.

however, this can only go so far and there is no redemption real without a Real Redeemer:)

Location hidden

#384578 Jun 27, 2012
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, preach on the streets of Topix and gain your glory here so you won't have to worry about it n the afterlife, when you won't have any.
That is the Difference W_N..I do not seek Glory, I can not answer for anyone else...His Glory is what must Increase, while I decrease...My Reward is not Physical or Material..It is "Spiritual"..Being in His Presence for eternity is all the reward needed, whether here on earth or in His very presence! I do not believe in "Afterlife" because My Life never ends........

Stephen.."Child Of Promise!"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 3 min Good Bob 18,316
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min Gods r Delusion x... 684,061
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 4 min USA-1 39,248
LaVar Ball is a POS(sherbert?)Bigot 4 min Doctor REALITY 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min George Justapose 983,500
What do Colin Kaepernick and O.J. Simpson have ... 16 min Doctor REALITY 2
MESSAGE 4 Kyrie Irving of the Cleveland Cavaliers 2 hr Doctor REALITY 6
More from around the web