55,132 votes

Click on an option to vote

yes

no

well, im not sure

Charlie Sheen

Lincoln, NE

#252121 Jan 24, 2013
With websites dedicated to fan art and fan stories, these are men in their twenties, thirties and forties that are just as obsessed with MLP as my 3 year old daughter.

“First we can’t believe this show is so good, then we can’t believe we’ve become fans for life, then we can’t believe we’re walking down the pink aisle at Toys R Us or asking for the girl’s toy in our Happy Meal,” Allen said in an e-mail to Wired.com .“Then we can’t believe our friends haven’t seen it yet, then we can’t believe they’re becoming bronies too.”
Charlie Sheen

Lincoln, NE

#252122 Jan 24, 2013
Is ANYONE else as disturbed by this as I am?! I mean yes, everyone has the right to have a cult fascination. Many women in this same age group are obsessed with teenage sparkly vampires, but these are grown men coveting the same toys as my preschooler. The popular Bronie website Equestia Daily, even proudly proclaims to be “corrupting little girls television.” Hasbro (the toy manufacturer) and The Hub (the cable network the show airs on) seem to be OK with this new fanbase. Quoted in the Wired.com article, Lauren Faust, the shows producer argues that the Bronies are “might be bucking the gender socialization of things considered to be “for girls” or “for boys.”
rider

Gwinn, MI

#252123 Jan 24, 2013
Charlie Sheen

Lincoln, NE

#252124 Jan 24, 2013
To this point, I will say that my 7.5 year old son, and some of his other friends with little sisters, also really like the show. It’s actually been a great compromise during TV time since both kids want to watch it. But the difference? MY SON IS SEVEN.

Looking at my daughter this morning, still glassy-eyed from her pony dreams, I realized why this bothers me so much…to me, it’s a step away from some kind of child molestation. I see these 30 year old men sitting there with pink plastic ponies and envision them getting turned on. Or worse – are they getting turned on by my daughter playing with her beloved Apple Jack or Pinkie Pie.
rider

Gwinn, MI

#252125 Jan 24, 2013
Timesten wrote:
Read this page...especially Operation Northwoods.
https://sites.google.com/site/911whatyoumight...
If they were set to do the deed in the 1960's and JFK turned it down and was shot soon after. Who's to say they didn't ok it in 2001.
Israel did the first 911 scenario in the King David Hotel bombing and blamed it on the Arabs there as well
https://www.google.com/search...
In the plan, Irgun men, disguised as Arabs, except for Gideon, the leader, who would be dressed as one of the hotel's distinctive Sudanese waiters, would enter the building through a basement service entrance carrying the explosives concealed in milk cans. The cans were to be placed by the main columns supporting the wing where the majority of the offices used by the British authorities were located.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_David_Hotel...
The "Downing Street memo" (or the "Downing Street Minutes"), sometimes described by critics of the Iraq War as the "smoking gun memo",[1] is the note of a secret 23 July 2002 meeting of senior British Labour government, defence and intelligence figures discussing the build-up to the war, which included direct reference to classified United States policy of the time. The name refers to 10 Downing Street, the residence of the British prime minister.

The memo recorded the head of the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6) as expressing the view following his recent visit to Washington that "[George W.] Bush wanted to remove Saddam Hussein, through military action, justified by the conjunction of terrorism and WMD. But the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy." It also quoted Foreign Secretary Jack Straw as saying that it was clear that Bush had "made up his mind" to take military action but that "the case was thin". Straw simultaneously noted that Iraq retained "WMD capability" and that "Saddam would continue to play hard-ball with the UN.". The military asked "what were the consequences, if Saddam used WMD on day one".

Attorney-General Lord Goldsmith also warned that justifying the invasion on legal grounds would be difficult. However, the meeting took place several months before the adoption of United Nations Security Council Resolution 1441, the resolution eventually used as the legal basis for the invasion of Iraq. UNR687 also provided a pre-existing basis, as it required Iraq to divest itself of "100%" of all WMD capacity, which the Memo agreed it had not.

A copy of the memo was obtained by British journalist Michael Smith and published in the The Sunday Times in May 2005. Though its authenticity has never been seriously challenged, the British and American governments have stated that the contents do not accurately reflect their official policy positions at the time.
Charlie Sheen

Lincoln, NE

#252126 Jan 24, 2013
How the hell did I miss this? From about a month ago:“My Little Pony Corrals Unlikely Fanboys Known as ‘Bronies’” in Wired’s Underwire blog. A must-read that I came across while doing research on an essay I’m writing. I share with Bad at Sports’ readers because I suspect that more than a few of you are Bronies in disguise. Or at least, I hope you are. I have never watched My Little Pony before – I’m more of a Strawberry Shortcake kind of gal (the version before they made her all teensy-weensie and sexed-out)– but make no mistake, this show is getting DVR’d upstairs just as soon as I get off the computer. A brief snippet from the article is below, but go read it in full, and have a happy day.
Charlie Sheen

Lincoln, NE

#252127 Jan 24, 2013
Each day, out-of-work computer programmer Luke Allen self-medicates by watching animated ponies have magical adventures.

The 32-year-old, who lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico, loves his daily fix of My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic, and he’s not alone. He’s part of a growing group of “bronies”(“bro ponies”)— men who are fans of a TV show largely intended for a much younger audience.
Charlie Sheen

Lincoln, NE

#252128 Jan 24, 2013
“First we can’t believe this show is so good, then we can’t believe we’ve become fans for life, then we can’t believe we’re walking down the pink aisle at Toys R Us or asking for the girl’s toy in our Happy Meal,” Allen said in an e-mail to Wired.com .“Then we can’t believe our friends haven’t seen it yet, then we can’t believe they’re becoming bronies too.”

Every nerd has a favorite TV show they watch religiously and know inside and out. But My Little Pony seems like an unlikely object of fanboy love. Since the show debuted last fall on cable channel Hub TV, it’s attracted a growing number of male fanatics. Their love of the show is internet neo-sincerity at its best: In addition to watching the show, these teenage, twenty- and thirtysomething guys are creating pony art, posting fan videos on YouTube and feeding threads on 4chan (and their own chan, Ponychan).
Charlie Sheen

Lincoln, NE

#252129 Jan 24, 2013
BronyCon 2012: Bronies, Adult Male Fans Of 'My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic,' Gather In New York
Charlie Sheen

Lincoln, NE

#252130 Jan 24, 2013
Hundreds of Bronies-- teenage and adult men who are fans of the animated TV series, "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" -- which you might know from the greatest New York Times correction ever--crammed into the Hotel Pennsylvania in midtown on Saturday for the 2012 Winter BronyCon.

According to Kase Wickman, there were chants of "P-O-N-I-E-S! What does that spell? Ponies!" and NeighSlayer, "Ponyville’s Hottest Metal Band!" was scheduled to play. There were academic panels, fan art and MLP vendors. Pegasisters (female bronies) were part of the fun too.
Charlie Sheen

Lincoln, NE

#252131 Jan 24, 2013
Public fascination with this curious subculture helped contribute to BronyCon's biggest turnout ever. And according to Gawker, participants were "out and proud."

Time To Play magazine was on hand to interview the excited Bronies, many of whom were in costume. When asked why BronyCon has grown in popularity, a man dressed up as Big Macintosh (Applejack's big brother) responds, "I think it's mostly because the show breeds friendship and happiness. It's something that hasn't been on television very long. It teaches good life lessons and it's something people like to get behind."
rider

Gwinn, MI

#252132 Jan 24, 2013
MikeIrons wrote:
I spent my entire adult life defending this country from enemies foreign and domestic. After retiring from the military, I went to work for an international business in the WTC in NYC. After the bad guys knocked down my offices I volunteered to return to active duty. Instead, I was invited to help in th fight against terrorism in a different way and spent a decade overseas working for a US agency and with allies. Those people who do not believe the attacks on 911 were by Al-Quaida is full of feces. Trust your government and in the power of a free press. Note, I did not say trust all of our elected leaders; I do not. But we have so many dedicated, loyal, professional civil servants and military who are devoted to not only defendin this country but also to the ideals of honesty, integrity, and defense of international human rights, that all the BS made up by so called conspiracy advocates that what they make up is either fantasy, untrue, or enemy propaganda. Yes there was really big conspiracy - the terrorists managed to pull off the biggest surprise attack on America since Pearl harbor - they were the conspiing parties and we have smited nearly all of those terrible people, but their places have been taken by other jihadists and unfortunately there are still national governments of countries that are supporting, harboring, financing, and sponsoring international terrorism. Put aside the partisan political BS of our elected national leaders and believe what you have been told about this terrible tragedy, an act of war that killed over 3000 people of 88 countries and the 12 years of war and thousands more of brave American and allied nations' military who are trying to make the world safer. Put yourself in the shoes of those 18-21 year old soldiers and support them with all your heart.
War Is a Racket is the title of two works, a speech and a booklet, by retired United States Marine Corps Major General and two time Medal of Honor recipient Smedley D. Butler. In them, Butler frankly discusses from his experience as a career military officer how business interests commercially benefit from warfare.

After his retirement from the Marine Corps, Gen. Butler made a nationwide tour in the early 1930s giving his speech "War is a Racket". The speech was so well received that he wrote a longer version as a small book with the same title that was published in 1935 by Round Table Press, Inc., of New York. The booklet was also condensed in Reader's Digest as a book supplement which helped popularize his message. In an introduction to the Reader's Digest version, Lowell Thomas, the "as told to" author of Butler's oral autobiographical adventures, praised Butler's "moral as well as physical courage".[1]
Charlie Sheen

Lincoln, NE

#252133 Jan 24, 2013
Bronies Furious After Minor My Little Pony Character Is Changed to Seem Less Mentally Disabled
Charlie Sheen

Lincoln, NE

#252134 Jan 24, 2013
Bronies are on the march. One of the strangest, most volatile fanbases on the internet has exploded over a tiny change to a beloved character on the children's cartoon "My Little Pony."
Charlie Sheen

Lincoln, NE

#252135 Jan 24, 2013
Adult fans of the new Hasbro animated series "My Little Pony," have become the most visibly fanatic of the many strange fan communities on the internet. Thousands of (mostly male) nerds calling themselves Bronies spread their unironic love of MLP, as they abbreviate it, over Twitter and dozens of dedicated message boards and blogs. Bronies started on 4chan's anarchic /b/ board as an inside joke before mutating to a very sincere fandom. And like Anonymous, 4chan's other notorious hive mind, Bronies have adopted online collectivism with astonishing effectiveness—only focusing their hive mind on creating MLP fan art instead of crashing U.S. government websites.
Charlie Sheen

Lincoln, NE

#252136 Jan 24, 2013
So whenever a controversy erupts in the bronysphere, it goes full Krakatoa.

Currently, the Brony hive is waging the "Save Derpy" campaign, after show creators slightly changed a favorite character was changed slightly to be less suggestive of a person with a mental disability.
Charlie Sheen

Lincoln, NE

#252137 Jan 24, 2013
Of all the ponies in My Little Pony's fantasy kingdom of Celestia, none is more beloved by the Bronies than Derpy, because they created her. Derpy began as an unnamed background character in the first episode of the series whose eyes had been skewed by an animator as a joke. Fans seized on the weird horse, and named her. As a nod to the Bronies' role in the show's success, the animators included her in episodes with increasing prominence.

"It's great fun to sift through a new episode to see if the animators have stuck her pony model in a crowded scene for us to find," said a Brony who goes by the name Cereal Velocity and who serves as an editor for the Brony news blog Equestria Daily. "It became a weekly game and everyone involved with it had a lot of fun. Everyone in the community has a different interpretation of her character since she was never assigned one in the show—in essence, she was the community's pony."
Charlie Sheen

Lincoln, NE

#252138 Jan 24, 2013
Derpy's big moment, and her first lines on the show, came at the beginning of January in an episode called "The Last Roundup." ("Oh, I just don't know what went wrong!" Derpy says, as she clumsily tries to set up for an upcoming party.) It was Bronies' greatest triumph: A fan-created character on their beloved show. A video captures the flood of "ZOMG!!!" and "DERPY!!!!" in an MLP chat room where Bronies had assembled to watch the show live.(Incredibly, this video now has 139,828 views.)
Charlie Sheen

Lincoln, NE

#252139 Jan 24, 2013
But Derpy's new prominence also reignited a controversy simmering beneath the Bronysphere over whether or not Derpy's appearance and behavior were offensive. Some fans have claimed Derpy is one "giant retard joke": Derpy's name comes from 'Derp,' internet slang that started on message boards in the early 2000s and means something is stupid. Whether "Derp" explicitly mocks people with mental disabilities has been endlessly debated. But it's definitely related to those "retard" sounds idiot kids make at each other in high school halls, and it's disproportionately used to refer to people with mental disabilities in general and people with Down Syndrome in particular.(The Anonymous hackers who hit Gawker a couple years ago illustrated this.)
Charlie Sheen

Lincoln, NE

#252140 Jan 24, 2013
Hasbro, which has had a sometimes-rocky relationship with Bronies, sided with the Derpy critics. They replaced the episode on iTunes with a cut where Derpy's voice was changed to sound less dope-y, and her name was removed altogether.

"The 'My Little Pony Friendship is Magic' series has always been about acceptance and inclusion, and the series strives to convey that through the playful antics of a diverse cast of characters," Hasbro spokeswoman Nicole Angello told us over email. "Some viewers felt that aspects of the episode 'The Last Roundup' did not stay true to the core message of friendship which is the heart and soul of the series. Hasbro Studios decided to make slight audio alterations to this single episode."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 17 min Mr Wiggley 52,738
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 hr Gabriel 992,274
____ TRUMP 100% in the spirit of ANTICHRIST ____ (Mar '16) 5 hr Poster Child for ... 22
Skype gay sex (Dec '14) 5 hr c840xba 32
___TRUMP Already Met & Deceived by ANTICHRIST___ 5 hr Poster Child for ... 2
shuh up meathead! 8 hr Doctor REALITY 7
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 hr PadMark 693,440
More from around the web