ADHD Frequently Missed in Girls

ADHD Frequently Missed in Girls

There are 23 comments on the ABC News story from Aug 3, 2006, titled ADHD Frequently Missed in Girls. In it, ABC News reports that:

A surprising new study finds attention deficit hyperactivity disorder remains a hidden danger for girls, as it takes much longer for them than boys to get diagnosed and treated for the condition.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ABC News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
speed_buggy

Arlington, TN

#1 Aug 4, 2006
This was never a problem with children and teens, the pandemic nature of this mental illness in these people until the mass proliferation of mental hospitals for youth.

This disease erupted in the 90's.

Instead of drug companies mass doping youth they should be going back to the 90's to find out exactly what it is that is systemic in the water or the air or the food tht causes this.

Or there is nothing wrong with these kids at all except they had the misfortune to be forced in front of the agents of drug companies: Mental health "professionals."
angelic 18

UK

#3 Aug 9, 2006
How dare you say there is nothing wrong with these kids?!!!!

We are not being fed lies from drug companies. We have the right to refuse drugs and try to cope with it on our own. You dont have to have medication to make it easier. There are alternative, free options that doctors tell you about.....so how exactly are they ,aking money put of it?!!!
Dont be so ridiculous. I think you need to do your homework.
Joe Smith

Claremore, OK

#4 Aug 9, 2006
Decades of drug abuse by the parents themselves, what would you expect?
Alcohol related ADHD has always existed too.

I wish kids were not fed drugs. I don't see the point: it doesn't cure anything, it doesn't solve anything.

Shows an utter lack of responsibility on the part of the adults to dope their kids into submission.
Frank

Middletown, CT

#5 Feb 25, 2007
Speed buggy,
So down and read. ADHD has a history dating back to the 1880. It wasn't called ADHD, and over the years had had names such as Hyperactive child syndrome, mimimal brain dysfunction, and others. Actually in 1990 was the first evidence that this is an objective disorder of the frontal lobes. The evidence is PET scans and now functional MRI's.

People; Don't listen to these, uninformed fear mongers. Please educate yourself, as this is a real disorder.Also the objective reasearch shows that kids who are medicated have a lower rate of substance abuse than those, with symptoms who aren't. Please read the research
William Pratt III

United States

#6 Mar 30, 2007
speed_buggy wrote:
This was never a problem with children and teens, the pandemic nature of this mental illness in these people until the mass proliferation of mental hospitals for youth.
This disease erupted in the 90's.
Instead of drug companies mass doping youth they should be going back to the 90's to find out exactly what it is that is systemic in the water or the air or the food tht causes this.
Or there is nothing wrong with these kids at all except they had the misfortune to be forced in front of the agents of drug companies: Mental health "professionals."
I have news. It's not in the water. Adhd is not of biological origin, nor is caused by a chemical imbalance. If it were there would be a marker of some sort. It's diagnoses is purely subjective.
I would suggest this link http://www.adhdfraud.org
You can even e-mail Dr. Fred Baughman personally if you have a question or challenge his research.
I wish you well.

Bill
William Pratt III

United States

#7 Mar 30, 2007
Frank wrote:
Speed buggy,
So down and read. ADHD has a history dating back to the 1880. It wasn't called ADHD, and over the years had had names such as Hyperactive child syndrome, mimimal brain dysfunction, and others. Actually in 1990 was the first evidence that this is an objective disorder of the frontal lobes. The evidence is PET scans and now functional MRI's.
People; Don't listen to these, uninformed fear mongers. Please educate yourself, as this is a real disorder.Also the objective reasearch shows that kids who are medicated have a lower rate of substance abuse than those, with symptoms who aren't. Please read the research
The "proof" you speak of is nothing more than smoke and mirrors. There is no peer review available to validate PET scans as a difinitive cause of adhd.
The diagnoses is purely subjective and it's label is a 100% fraud.

http://www.adhdfraud.org
William Pratt III

United States

#8 Mar 30, 2007
Joe Smith wrote:
Decades of drug abuse by the parents themselves, what would you expect?
Alcohol related ADHD has always existed too.
I wish kids were not fed drugs. I don't see the point: it doesn't cure anything, it doesn't solve anything.
Shows an utter lack of responsibility on the part of the adults to dope their kids into submission.
Joe,

It's criminal. You can learn more by visiting this site. http://www.adhdfraud.org

All The Best,

Bill
William Pratt III

United States

#9 Mar 30, 2007
angelic 18 wrote:
How dare you say there is nothing wrong with these kids?!!!!
We are not being fed lies from drug companies. We have the right to refuse drugs and try to cope with it on our own. You dont have to have medication to make it easier. There are alternative, free options that doctors tell you about.....so how exactly are they ,aking money put of it?!!!
Dont be so ridiculous. I think you need to do your homework.
Angelic,

I think it is you that needs to do some homework. If you feel that "We are not being fed lies from drug companies." as you say, you need to seriously do some research. Drug companies are nototrious for telling lies, hiding facts, fudging studies, clinical trials etc,. Where have you been living? In a cave?
Here is a good starting point. http://www.adhdfraud.org

If you want more data and proof of drug company wrong doings, e-mail me and I will send you some of the files I have.

Bill

“The Harv”

Since: Mar 07

Western North Carolina

#10 Mar 30, 2007
William Pratt III wrote:
<quoted text>
Angelic,
I think it is you that needs to do some homework. If you feel that "We are not being fed lies from drug companies." as you say, you need to seriously do some research. Drug companies are nototrious for telling lies, hiding facts, fudging studies, clinical trials etc,. Where have you been living? In a cave?
Here is a good starting point. http://www.adhdfraud.org
If you want more data and proof of drug company wrong doings, e-mail me and I will send you some of the files I have.
Bill
My question is this: Why is it that they didn't have these problems when I was a child?? If we didn't settle down we were punished - we were not made to feel good about everything - there were winners and losers in games (of all kinds)- someone was first - someone was last and we waited our turn - patiently (or learned to).

I have often wondered about this. The fact that it is a farse! We knew if we didn't mind what would happen.
William Pratt III

United States

#11 Mar 31, 2007
Manx wrote:
<quoted text>
My question is this: Why is it that they didn't have these problems when I was a child?? If we didn't settle down we were punished - we were not made to feel good about everything - there were winners and losers in games (of all kinds)- someone was first - someone was last and we waited our turn - patiently (or learned to).
I have often wondered about this. The fact that it is a farse! We knew if we didn't mind what would happen.
To me it has a lot to do with trust. Most adults implicitly trust doctors. It's been drilled into our heads since we were young. Get sick? Go see a doc. This is obviously not always the best solution. Espec when "sick" implies an actual physical abnormality. Adhd is NOT a physical abnormality. Let's be clear on this point. It has no biological or neurological origin. The fact that the lie remains so visible is that most people are not qualified to ask the right questions. Ie, parents and school teachers. A doctor says: "Ok...so right here you can see the difference between a normal brain and an adhd brain on a PET scan." The average guy can't read a PET scan or ask the right questions about what he has been shown. So you can basically tell him anything. Hell most of the docs are even convinced of what they tell you.
The point is, there is no peer review that completely locks down the theory that behavioral issues are caused by chemical or neurological changes. If the studies exist, they can be quickly disected by a competant neurologist. One of the only professionals that is qualified to to brain and nerve analysis.
Parents need to ask the right questions. They need to ask if they can have the tests performed so that they can take them to their a neurologist, their insurance company and attorney have them verified.
Most people won't go through that trouble though and the docs know that. Instead it's: Here, take this pill.
Bill
Bill

“The Harv”

Since: Mar 07

Western North Carolina

#12 Mar 31, 2007
William Pratt III wrote:
<quoted text>
To me it has a lot to do with trust. Most adults implicitly trust doctors. It's been drilled into our heads since we were young. Get sick? Go see a doc. This is obviously not always the best solution. Espec when "sick" implies an actual physical abnormality. Adhd is NOT a physical abnormality. Let's be clear on this point. It has no biological or neurological origin. The fact that the lie remains so visible is that most people are not qualified to ask the right questions. Ie, parents and school teachers. A doctor says: "Ok...so right here you can see the difference between a normal brain and an adhd brain on a PET scan." The average guy can't read a PET scan or ask the right questions about what he has been shown. So you can basically tell him anything. Hell most of the docs are even convinced of what they tell you.
The point is, there is no peer review that completely locks down the theory that behavioral issues are caused by chemical or neurological changes. If the studies exist, they can be quickly disected by a competant neurologist. One of the only professionals that is qualified to to brain and nerve analysis.
Parents need to ask the right questions. They need to ask if they can have the tests performed so that they can take them to their a neurologist, their insurance company and attorney have them verified.
Most people won't go through that trouble though and the docs know that. Instead it's: Here, take this pill.
Bill
Bill
I agree. Another concern along this same vein is people who run themselves and their children to the doc everytime they sneeze and insist on an antibiotic. And they wonder why there is so many illnesses.
ADDrienne

Astoria, NY

#13 Sep 5, 2007
I wish I was diagnosed as a child instead of at 30 when my life was already in shambles!

“You'll do Donkey ~ Shrek”

Since: Jun 07

Deep in the heart of East TX

#14 Sep 5, 2007
Manx wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. Another concern along this same vein is people who run themselves and their children to the doc everytime they sneeze and insist on an antibiotic. And they wonder why there is so many illnesses.
While there are documented cases of ADHD (my niece being one of them), they are far less common than the current number of children taking medication for ADD/ADHD would lead you to believe.

In my humble opinion, the extreme spike in ADD/ADHD children seems to coincide with the lack of corporal punishment in the schools and home, and the increased use of preservatives in foods. It appears to me, that since parents and teachers can't control the children by other means, they convince themselves and others that what was considered normal, boistrous behaviors, just a few years ago, are chemical imbalances in the brain and must be medicated.

In the case of MY two boys, teachers and school administrators were insisting that I medicate them as they were distruptive to the rest of the class. I refused. My ex-husband, however, did cave to pressure and had my eldest son put on medication, which proved to be a disaster, since at that time, most ADD/ADHD meds were nothing more than prescription speed. These meds, in fact, made my sons behavior worse, both at home and definitely at school!

Eventually, it was learned that both of the boys had severe food allergies to dairy products, which manifested itself in behavior problems. Upon doing some investigation myself, I was able to learn that a vast majority of childhood behavior problems can be traced to food and environmental allergies.

For years, I was a memeber of the Feingold Association, which is dedicated to helping these poor children who are being medicated for the wrong problems. In fact, before I was able to get both my boys the blood serum allergy tests, I strictly followed the Feingold diet, which basically removes all preservatives from the diet, and reverts back to whole, fresh foods. I saw significant improvements in both the boys behaviors during this time. It was during this time, that I would notice the increase, especially in the older one, of erratic behavior when dairy products were ingested.

SO, after that long rant (that hopefully makes some sense, since it is early), after having my eldest son diagnosed ADD/ADHD and ODD (oppositionally defiant disorder), and medicated for 3 years, in which his school performance and anger issues spiraled out of control, by simply removing dairy products from his diet, the problem was solved.

The gist of the above, parents need to be advocates of their children, they know their children better than any teacher or doctor ever could. Demand the tests that prove beyond a shadow of a doubt what the problem is, before blindly medicating a child.

“The Harv”

Since: Mar 07

Western North Carolina

#15 Sep 5, 2007
dogwood wrote:
<quoted text>
While there are documented cases of ADHD (my niece being one of them), they are far less common than the current number of children taking medication for ADD/ADHD would lead you to believe.
In my humble opinion, the extreme spike in ADD/ADHD children seems to coincide with the lack of corporal punishment in the schools and home, and the increased use of preservatives in foods. It appears to me, that since parents and teachers can't control the children by other means, they convince themselves and others that what was considered normal, boistrous behaviors, just a few years ago, are chemical imbalances in the brain and must be medicated.
In the case of MY two boys, teachers and school administrators were insisting that I medicate them as they were distruptive to the rest of the class. I refused. My ex-husband, however, did cave to pressure and had my eldest son put on medication, which proved to be a disaster, since at that time, most ADD/ADHD meds were nothing more than prescription speed. These meds, in fact, made my sons behavior worse, both at home and definitely at school!
Eventually, it was learned that both of the boys had severe food allergies to dairy products, which manifested itself in behavior problems. Upon doing some investigation myself, I was able to learn that a vast majority of childhood behavior problems can be traced to food and environmental allergies.
For years, I was a memeber of the Feingold Association, which is dedicated to helping these poor children who are being medicated for the wrong problems. In fact, before I was able to get both my boys the blood serum allergy tests, I strictly followed the Feingold diet, which basically removes all preservatives from the diet, and reverts back to whole, fresh foods. I saw significant improvements in both the boys behaviors during this time. It was during this time, that I would notice the increase, especially in the older one, of erratic behavior when dairy products were ingested.
SO, after that long rant (that hopefully makes some sense, since it is early), after having my eldest son diagnosed ADD/ADHD and ODD (oppositionally defiant disorder), and medicated for 3 years, in which his school performance and anger issues spiraled out of control, by simply removing dairy products from his diet, the problem was solved.
The gist of the above, parents need to be advocates of their children, they know their children better than any teacher or doctor ever could. Demand the tests that prove beyond a shadow of a doubt what the problem is, before blindly medicating a child.
Very well stated Dogwood. People do not realize what allergies can do to a person. 2 of my children have them and honestly when they are really bothering them it is like they are going crazy sometimes. They behavior is eratic and they are miserable. But if you miss that you really think they are just misbehaving. And they do get hyper. And the food thing with perservatives and such oh don't get em started. Why do we need all that garbage added to our food anyway?
ADDrienne

Astoria, NY

#16 Sep 5, 2007
Your an ignorant fool.

“You'll do Donkey ~ Shrek”

Since: Jun 07

Deep in the heart of East TX

#17 Sep 5, 2007
ADDrienne wrote:
Your an ignorant fool.
There is information being exchanged here. If you cannot learn from it, use it for current and/or future reference, then you dear, are the bigger fool.
Gnostic God Slayer

Allentown, PA

#18 Sep 5, 2007
Before you give your kids ritalin, take them off of artificial sweetners.

If you are religious, I would definetly dope your kids. Human sacrifice, Crusades, Jihad, Hell? Definetly give them something to cope.
ADDrienne

Astoria, NY

#19 Sep 8, 2007
My comment was in reply to speed_buggy's comments about ADHD. SO if you don't like it, too bad. I am not polite to those who think that ADHD isn't real.

“You'll do Donkey ~ Shrek”

Since: Jun 07

Deep in the heart of East TX

#20 Sep 9, 2007
ADDrienne wrote:
My comment was in reply to speed_buggy's comments about ADHD. SO if you don't like it, too bad. I am not polite to those who think that ADHD isn't real.
If that is truly the case, then you need to learn how to reply to a post so that other people will know to whom you are replying.

If you cannot be bothered to hit the reply button on the post, at least have the decency to mention the posters name to which you are responding.

By doing so, you will avoid a lot of confusion from other posters thinking that you are making a blanket statement to the entire thread, such as what happened above.
ADDrienne

Astoria, NY

#21 Sep 9, 2007
dogwood wrote:
<quoted text>
If that is truly the case, then you need to learn how to reply to a post so that other people will know to whom you are replying.
If you cannot be bothered to hit the reply button on the post, at least have the decency to mention the posters name to which you are responding.
By doing so, you will avoid a lot of confusion from other posters thinking that you are making a blanket statement to the entire thread, such as what happened above.
Yes, you are right. I apologize for posting without thinking first! Moreover, for not even posting a comment that is an intelligent response. While I am not making excuses for myself, this is a perfect example of impulsivity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 4 min Bongo 26,132
David Duke: "We're going to take our country ba... 11 min Doctor REALITY 58
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 49 min UMORONRACEMAKEWOR... 985,692
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Rosesz 685,741
to Maria Chapelle-Nadal: it's time to ROLL, sista' 1 hr Doctor REALITY 1
I hate Haiti (Jan '10) 2 hr Anne Nonymiss 109
"BIGGEST SCAM in WORLD HISTORY...." 3 hr YTube 1st 1
More from around the web